[REMOVE ADS]

Donna Summer / Nether Lands from Tribute to Dan Fogelberg

'Been a fan of Folgelberg's work since the mid-70s. This big, sweeping, orchestral ballad was the title track from his fourth album released in 1977. It's a gorgeuos track. I have a feeling he would have LOVED Donna's take.

Dan:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTCHj8qhcjY

Donna:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hM76VFDCM

https://www.danfogelberg.com/thetributestories.html

NETHER LANDS
    “On June 3, 2010, I got an email from Norbert telling me that Donna Summer wanted to record ‘Nether Lands’ for the tribute. Coming of age in the 70’s, I was a huge fan, and for a long time I’d thought that one of the great divas should cover this, one of Dan’s most ambitious recordings in regards to the instrumentation, and the key! So I was beyond thrilled with Donna’s participation and her choice of song.

We determined that it would be much too costly to try to recreate the track, with its lush orchestral arrangements, so we had Sony dig up the master. Norbert was concerned about the key and asked Donna if it would be too high for her. She laughed and told Norbert that during a very difficult time in her life she’d had some tough decisions to make and she would start each day by playing ‘Nether Lands’ to inspire her. She’d been singing along with the record for years, knew it by heart, and the key was perfect for her.
    Unaware that Donna was still performing, I was prepared to hear some diminished vocals now that she was in her 60’s. When Norbert sent me the track, I was blown away. If anything, her voice was richer and more powerful than ever - the track gave me goosebumps and still brings me to tears every time I play it.

With much still to give, Donna Summer died of lung cancer on May 17, 2012. I’m so grateful to her for gracing us with her incredible version of one of Dan’s most majestic songs, and to her husband, Bruce Sudano, for his assistance since her untimely death.

Donna: Fantastique!

wow to hear Donna Summer fresh and new !!!Thanks dylan !

love the intro , love the fullness of the original music. Love hearing the first word's from Donna's mouth!
    At last though, despite all that arrangement , the song doesn't provide enough for her. She's used up half way thru it with no where to go . Unfortunately . imo.

Sure miss Donna.

Signature Donna does not sing that high. It loses so much of Donna’s richness and tone.

Donna was a rich lady. Why didn’t she pay for an orchestration that would make her sound like classic Donna Summer and bring out all her brilliance?
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 12-03-2017 at 08:57 AM.

I'm disappointed that I am disappointed with this new addition to Donna Summer's recorded vocal performances , but I was hoping nonetheless to hear others say "No, this is great! Yea Donna!"
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-06-2017 at 02:04 AM.