[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Works out at pretty much $70 with postage [[to UK) and taxes! Yikes - £52 in GBP.

At £52 I'll pass as I already bought the downloads!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Since you already heard the downloads, what are your recommendations on the collection? Did you like the collection, were they great, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    Thanks for sharing Caliluv! This is wonderful news and I've put in for my copy of Motown Unreleased 1966.

I've bought most of the 'Unreleased' downloads and in my opinion 1966 was the best yet. I've never much cared for the Motown treatment of the 'standards', but leaving those aside, the majority of the rest of the recordings were great. There's always the issue of "if they were unreleased they may not be up to scratch" but a lot of this set was terrific.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not available to buy in the UK for us customers who wanted the booklet and even better sound quality than the lossless downloads.

Ivor

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Unfortunately, it's not available to buy in the UK for us customers who wanted the booklet and even better sound quality than the lossless downloads.

Ivor
    Ivor - I'm in the UK and I ordered the set and paid by PayPal. There was no problem with the website and, so far, I've not had a rejection email. Whilst there's still a chance I'll get a knock back, things seem to be on track at this stage.

The minor "disappointment" for me is the number of duplicated tracks with the Brenda Holloway "Spellbound" CD. But at least I've saved the £14 or so for the download version of 66.

[QUOTE=mysterysinger;428001]Ivor - I'm in the UK and I ordered the set and paid by PayPal. There was no problem with the website and, so far, I've not had a rejection email. Whilst there's still a chance I'll get a knock back, things seem to be on track at this stage.

Kev, Which site did you use, as the second disc does not ship to the UK?

Wayne

[QUOTE=wedgeville;428004]
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Ivor - I'm in the UK and I ordered the set and paid by PayPal. There was no problem with the website and, so far, I've not had a rejection email. Whilst there's still a chance I'll get a knock back, things seem to be on track at this stage.

Wayne
    The set is not being released by The Second Disc. Use the Udiscover link above.

FYI all US members. I placed my order 12/1/17 and the charge was processed immediately despite the shipment date of 12/15/17. The actual price of the set was $49.98 + $7.54 S/H, total $57.52.

[QUOTE=wedgeville;428004]

Wayne
    Yes I used Udiscover and it totalled $69.65 including tax and postage.

I'm going to place my order within the next week or so. Personally, I think it's a bad idea to limit it to such a low number. Third party sellers will easily take advantage of those who go to sleep on this one.

If the CD set does not get a UK release, I hope Universal will add the booklet that comes with the CD as a PDF download to the digital release.

[[I was going to buy the digital release at some point, but held off after it was mooted that a CD release was on the cards).

Cheers

Paul

Reading this on the theseconddisc link above,

"Should this sell out, perhaps UMC will dig back in the vaults to bring past – and future – volumes of this indispensable rarities series to CD."

I hope it sells out and they release the series on CD with fixes for the problems with some of the songs on the 1962 sets... if they can. And is there stuff from 1959-61 we haven't heard?

If it's been asked and answered before, forgive me, but what happens to the stuff they don't release in these sets? They were ok with them being public domain?
    Last edited by Cadeho; 12-02-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar

I'm not able to change the county to United Kingdom on the udiscover site any tips on how to do this ??

I just received this email from udiscover in reply to my question about shipping to the U.K...

Please note that the countries you see listed on our store are the only countries we can ship to currently. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I wasn't happy when this was a download only release. And now I'm not happy all over again that I can't get the physical release.
    Universal...you sure know how to do right by us fans!! 👎😠

The 1966 CD is being discussed in the 'Unreleased 1967' thread as well, if you haven't seen it. Keith Hughes has posted that he's looking into the ordering issue.

The minor "disappointment" for me is the number of duplicated tracks with the Brenda Holloway "Spellbound" CD. But at least I've saved the £14 or so for the download version of 66.
    Don't worry too much many of the Brenda tracks duplicated from the 66 release are in a different mix on the Spellbound set.

Well...
    France is not on the list of countries available either.
    But I was able to order a copy twice quite simply... IÂ’ve paid with PayPal, and my address - complete with the country France added to it - was automatically chosen as the delivery address.

When the order was placed I was charged with $14 or so with shipping.
    Si i guess thereÂ’s no problem. And IÂ’ll get my copies.

You should try that way. I really do think they can ship to France.
    As this is part of the address, I canÂ’t how the shippings would fail...

JB

Yes that's the way to do it - paying by PayPal means you by pass the country issue and since PayPal already includes your address, a successful payment will result in a receipt showing that you made a payment to the Universal Music Group. The postage is higher than in the USA and there is tax of around $10 added to the price which to me would indicate a successful purchase [[for now at least).

Well done JB, that's it. An additional note: when you click on the shopping basket icon, DON'T select GO TO CHECKOUT, select VIEW AND EDIT CART. That's where you see the CHECKOUT WITH PAYPAL button.

It seems to be an intelligence test, as with so much ordering on the internet.

Yes! I'm so excited a physical edition is coming out [[immediately ordered as soon as I found out) and hope that means they'll release the rest as well. I never bought any of the download-only releases except for the "Baby It's Me" expanded one [[had to get that one!) But now that they're finally releasing physical editions again, I've made sure I've got them immediately: The Supremes A'Go-Go, The Ultimate Merry Christmas, and the latest Brenda Holloway collection!

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Since you already heard the downloads, what are your recommendations on the collection? Did you like the collection, were they great, or what?
    When I saw your post Woodward I remember thinking that while I like the download, is it worth $50.00 for a hard copy of what I have downloaded. On the one hand, its available, so I have to own it! The Cellarful of Motown series was $40.00 and they had some 40 songs all unreleased and was magnificent. The Complete Motown Singles Series were $80.00, and were a known entity, an excellent buy. Some of the best songs on 1966 Unreleased were the 9 Brenda Holloway songs that were released on a physical release this year.

As far as the songs themselves, because I am into Gospel Music, I liked those songs. The alternate versions of songs while interesting, left me hungry for the original versions. The quality of the songs on a physical release will sound infinitely better than the downloads. A case in point, the song "Then" by the Temptin Temptations. I absolutely love the 4 Tops version, with better sound quality, I might love the Tempts version too, the downloaded version is just OK. If I had a physical copy, I would not need the downloaded versions freeing up storage space.

I said all that to say, while the pickings of unreleased material are getting slim at this point in time, It's a yes for me. 1966 was the pinnacle year for Motown and while I was expecting to be blown away, I am however satisfied. I hope that somehow this helped Woodward.

udiscover.com is now showing the 1966 set as out of stock.

Yes,it looks as if it has sold out in the pre order stage.I didn't see the dilemma in making these available.Supply and Demand.Study your market and let what you discover dictate your actions.It's too bad we won't be able to buy physical copies of "1967" on release date.They would have to push the release date back to make it possible,which nobody would want.Thanks again to everyone here who supported one another and Universal who paid attention.It's proven,it works.

I purchased this through paypal on the Udiscovermusic website to send to the U.K.
    The fact that they say they won't ship outside the U.S still makes me nervous.
    I'll believe it for real when it lands on my doorstep.

I decided against purchasing this set, primarily because it is just too friggin' expensive. Universal already got $40 out of me when the downloads came out, and as such, I was sincerely hoping that they would make this a less expensive set, knowing that so many fans already purchased the downloads. $50 just seems too much for four CD's of previously available music. At least, that is my opinion. I am a committed fan and have tried to purchase all of the "new" stuff from Motown vaults as they have become available, but to re-buy this collection and drop another $50 is just too much for me.... I do wish they'd make the 1967 Unreleased available on CD up-front or at least concurrent with the downloads, but I expect they will follow the same plan and milk the fans further....
    Last edited by mistercarter2u; 12-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.

Mistercarter2u
    I'm in the same boat as you.
    I'll only take an interest if it turns up second hand somewhere, at a price that I think reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    I decided against purchasing this set, primarily because it is just too friggin' expensive. Universal already got $40 out of me when the downloads came out, and as such, I was sincerely hoping that they would make this a less expensive set, knowing that so many fans already purchased the downloads. $50 just seems too much for four CD's of previously available music. At least, that is my opinion. I am a committed fan and have tried to purchase all of the "new" stuff from Motown vaults as they have become available, but to re-buy this collection and drop another $50 is just too much for me.... I do wish they'd make the 1967 Unreleased available on CD up-front or at least concurrent with the downloads, but I expect they will follow the same plan and milk the fans further....
    I understand you perfectly and you're right in a sense, but I can see why this unfortunate situation is happening.In 2012,when they started doing these the CD was not what it had been in the past and hasn't improved much as far as I know.Vinyl and downloads were becoming the hot commodities in the marketplace so naturally they would jump on the bandwagon.These collections were also released quietly,so it's not like fans found out quickly that these were out there.I didn't find out until 2014.The following for these collections got stronger with time until tangibles were recently demanded and they moved on it.You also have to consider that they lost a great deal of money on HipoSelect,which was supposed to be a great and cost efficient way to get rare titles to a cult following.It failed miserably and was probably a logistical nightmare for Universal.This was maybe just an experiment to see what would happen and they were successful.Now it would be a gas if they would take the profit they just gained and manufacture copies of "1967" at warp speed to meet their deadline.Universal is a self reliant corporation,so they can do this if they work overtime and get these tracks to their plants now that we've proven we're all for it.Keith,Harry and the "suits" should consider that strongly because we just gave them the money to bring it to fruition.You're correct, but I just wanted to provide some perspective.Hope you and other fans obtain a copy in the future.
    Last edited by Quinn; 12-12-2017 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    I understand you perfectly and you're right in a sense, but I can see why this unfortunate situation is happening.In 2012,when they started doing these the CD was not what it had been in the past and hasn't improved much as far as I know.Vinyl and downloads were becoming the hot commodities in the marketplace so naturally they would jump on the bandwagon.These collection were also released quietly,so it's not like fans found out quickly that these were out there.I didn't find out until 2014.The following for these collections got stronger with time until tangibles were recently demanded and they moved on it.You also have to consider that they lost a great deal of money on HipoSelect,which was supposed to be a great and cost efficient way to get rare titles to a cult following.It failed miserably and was probably a logistical nightmare for Universal.This was maybe just an experiment to see what would happen and they were successful.Now it would be a gas if they would take the profit they just gained and manufacture copies of "1967" at warp speed to meet their deadline.Universal is a self reliant corporation,so they can do this if they work overtime and get these tracks to their plants now that we've proven we're all for it.Keith,Harry and the "suits" should consider that strongly because we just gave them the money to bring it to fruition.You're correct, but I just wanted to provide some perspective.Hope you and other fans obtain a copy in the future.
    In my opinion, Hip-O Select was a failure because of Universal and in no way because of a lack of demand. There has been and continues to be a major problem with how Universal markets their releases. [[I.e., they basically don’t.) they release[[d) product without promotion, it sells minimally, and then the buzz [[would) comes back to loyal customers that they were extremely disappointed by sales and they will be releasing less product in the future. Nothing today can or should be released without promotion. There is so much available to entertain today that sometimes buyers aren’t aware when there are reissues or expanded editions. Promote the hell out of a year’s worth of releases and then determine whether or not it makes a difference [[what sells, what doesn’t, what needs more promotion than ‘usual’, etc.). Instead, Universal now lets stuff creep out. Why do the Beatles, The Beach Boys, Bob Dylan, etc., get these splashy sets with decent promotion, but Motown gets treated as unworthy? Your product is only as important as you see it to be.
    Last edited by danman869; 12-12-2017 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Spelling/typo correction

Hip-O-Select was a miserable failure? Really? If so, it took several years and hundreds of releases to find that out. All the limited edition Motown releases seemed to sell out. How can that be failure? They sold what they set out to. I can't see that as a failure. Everything has a shelf life.

Hip-O-Select was a miserable failure? Really? If so, it took several years and hundreds of releases to find that out. All the limited edition Motown releases seemed to sell out. How can that be failure? They sold what they set out to. I can't see that as a failure. Everything has a shelf life.
    Universal has a major problem with promotion. When Hip-O started, around 10,000 Supremes sets were pressed. Eventually that would be strunken to 7,500 then 5,000 and now 3,500. I don’t believe for one second they pressed less because there weren’t any people buying them. They never promoted them. Put an ad in Billboard or Rolling Stone, do what Andy & George on Midnight Johnny’s Nightflight and have someone do a little promo on Sirius’ Soultown and 60’s/70’s stations. I guarantee you if they would print 10,000 copies today of Supremes A’ Go-Go and if given the proper promotion they would sell out of all 10,000 copies.

Now Hip-O made some release duds. The Rare Earth collection, Pops We Love You, etc. Who was asking for those? For years people have been dying for a Blinky collection, Vandellas 1968 Copa show, etc and those wishes have gone unanswered.

Yes,in the grand scheme of things it was a failed investment.You had several compartments that the music was available through, MotownSelect,ChessSelect,Soul,Pop,Etc,.It seemed that the only titles that really turned a profit were the ones that weren't heavy on the wallet.The supremes and Diana Ross releases for example had an asking price of $20-$40 and sold well.Compare that to The Motown Singles boxes that had an $80.00-$120.00 asking price and maybe one[[1966)selling out.There was healthy inventory on everything else and that's just one compartment.The James Brown collections didn't really sell out among many other things that were still available when it went defunct.They over pressed on most of those titles and went by assumption as opposed to demand.You have a market and you cater to IT.Bean counters have to understand these things.I can imagine how much inventory they destroyed or is still sitting in their warehouses.Just because you don't get great results right away doesn't mean you quit at the first sign of danger.You keep investing and hope for the best.It was a wonderful place to shop when it was around for some, but the numbers weren't adding up consistently so it's gone.That's my view point.

I ordered via paypal from the U.K and never got confirmation of my order...the money has been taken out of my account but ive been reading that people are saying they dont ship to the U.K...ive never done anything like this before so im a bit worried that im not going to receive it now..i wished i hadnt bothered to be honest ...i already have the download on disc so ive basically paid not short of £80 to get this and now im not even sure im going to get it..im getting pretty pissed off with whats going on with Motown releases recently...can anyone shed any light on wether i will get my copy or not...and if not how i would get my money back?

Mowsville, I'm in the U.K and didn't get a confirmation email either.
    We can only hope that we have some guarantee through PayPal, and if the goods aren't delivered we can request a refund.

Thanks Lakedistrict..i guess we can only wait and see.

I too am in the UK and never got an email confirmation, but I do have an on-line account with them and have an order number confirmation showing on my log-in page.

Good news, it’s no longer listed as sold out! I went and snagged my copy before it happens for real. I’d rather pay 50 today than put a second mortgage on my house later

Does anyone know if this shipped today? I haven't received any kind of notification. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by superlou View Post
    Does anyone know if this shipped today? I haven't received any kind of notification. Fingers crossed.
    There is absolutely no way to know whether it was shipped today. There is absolutely no way to even contact them via phone. It sometimes makes me think this is a scam.
    I never saw such backward treatment of customers as they have put forth on this issue.

Hopefully if ANYONE receives their they will put a posting on this thread and let the world know.

There is absolutely no way to know whether it was shipped today. There is absolutely no way to even contact them via phone. It sometimes makes me think this is a scam.
    I never saw such backward treatment of customers as they have put forth on this issue.

Hopefully if ANYONE receives their they will put a posting on this thread and let the world know.
    I'm anxiously waiting myself!

My order is now showing as "Logistics" [[from pre-ordered)

I just received an e-mail stating that my order of "Motown Unreleased: 1966" shipped via DHL. Hopefully I have it by the end of the week!

I also received an email saying my order has shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    I just received an e-mail stating that my order of "Motown Unreleased: 1966" shipped via DHL. Hopefully I have it by the end of the week!
    What is DHL?

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    What is DHL?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  21.1 KB
    It is an international package shipping company, similar to Federal Express.

DHL has been using "Ain't No Mountain High Enough" as their theme song for years, a mash-up between the Marvin-Tammi and Diana versions. Motown re-released Diana's "Ain't No Mountain High" as 12 inch in the 1980s in the UK with a reference to DHL on the cover.
    Name:  Diana Ross DHL.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  93.0 KB