[REMOVE ADS]

Stephanie mills keeps it real on the state of black music & more

Mills looks great and I've been a long-time fan but I disagree with her comments and am sorry she feels this way. The fact is that she is well past a hit-making age - age-ism plus 'the new thing-ism' is more limiting in terms of sales than race. If she [[regrettably) wants to draw the race card she would do better to point a finger at the Black market who has not supported her records in decades. The comments come at an inconvenient time as well when Grammy noms arrived and record of the year and album of the year noms are almost exclusively urban artists.

Stephanie's comments on the anti-Black police issue are certainly pertinent as are those regarding the struggles of special-needs children but it's sad to me that she feels she has to introduce race into her career status. She's all over the place in this interview [[Kardashians? Really?) and it reminds me of the late-career talk show appearances of Bette Davis-Joan Crawford-etc railing against the new stars taking their place in the movie industry, or Steve & Edie complaining about being 'blacklisted' from AM radio playlists. Life's a bitch and there's always someone coming behind to take your place. Learn it and move on.

Mills is a great singer and has had a good, long career. I wish she were not so bitter.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-29-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Cher , The Rolling Stones, Barbara Streisand , Madonna etc etc have all had hits and are older[[ Madonna same age I believe) than Stephanie. R&B music sadly does not get the same exposure. Hmmmmm

Stephanie is a long term favorite of mine.

Madonna earns the most from touring.
    Her records dont sell anymore and she was even banned from BBC 1 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Madonna earns the most from touring.
    Her records dont sell anymore and she was even banned from BBC 1 I believe.
    Absolutely. And no one [[sane!) blames M's low record sales on Beyonce! False equivalents never apply to popularity anyway. Lack of equal education and employment opportunities, sadly, absolutely. Unequal justice? Ditto. Racist president? Shamefully, yes. But if M retired today would Stephanie's record sales surge?

She looks good [[ aged 60!) but she does seem to be angry about most things and in a racial way .
    I noticed her last marriage was officiated by Louis Farrakhan . Hope she isn't tempered by that crowd.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 12-01-2017 at 01:50 AM.