[REMOVE ADS]

temptationsfan500 Guest

What is your favorite Temptations album after they returned to Motown?

Mine are Truly for You and For Lovers Only. Phoenix Rising is pretty good too. And Special is good even if the production on it is dated.

For Lovers Only

Wonderful album

To Be Continued

Power, For Lovers Only, Truly For You, Together Again, Give Love At Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by temptationsfan500 View Post
    Mine are Truly for You and For Lovers Only. Phoenix Rising is pretty good too. And Special is good even if the production on it is dated.
    OOooh, great question, temptationsfan. I think I'll have to go with Truly For You which to me is the most solid, coherent, and generally fantastic album by The Tempts in the '80s. Just LOVE it... "Memories"... "I'll Keep A Light In My Window"... "My Love Is True"... "Running" and of course the wonderful "Treat Her Like A Lady"...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    OOooh, great question, temptationsfan. I think I'll have to go with Truly For You which to me is the most solid, coherent, and generally fantastic album by The Tempts in the '80s. Just LOVE it... "Memories"... "I'll Keep A Light In My Window"... "My Love Is True"... "Running" and of course the wonderful "Treat Her Like A Lady"...
    "Special",I remember my father bringing that one home.We had an old technics turntable and great sound system in the living room at home.I recall my favorite song being "Friends" and that's the one I usually played,though I loved the entire album.Too bad I ended up breaking a piece off of it somehow,so I could only play the end of "Friends".I was fascinated by the sleeve as well as the purple label copy on the vinyl.Other notable albums I remember my dad buying at that time were Zapp's underrated "V" and Terence Trent D'arby's "Neither Fish Nor Flesh".Four years old,soaking it up.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-27-2017 at 09:09 PM.

I think "Truly For You" was a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I think "Truly For You" was a great album.
    Definitely Marv. Can’t believe I had never heard this fantastic cut from it until yesterday.

^ Tom, I'd never heard the Tempts version until now, either. I like it! This is the version with which I'm familiar, by one of my favorite singers:

Oh that's easy...[power] which is a great album.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    ^ Tom, I'd never heard the Tempts version until now, either. I like it! This is the version with which I'm familiar, by one of my favorite singers:

Oh wow, thanks for sharing that sans. I like that version too. What a great song. By the way I know this will upset you but I’m not familiar with Nancy Wilson at all... don’t worry though, I literally just went onto iTunes and previewed tracks at random... and me likee...

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh wow, thanks for sharing that sans. I like that version too. What a great song. By the way I know this will upset you but I’m not familiar with Nancy Wilson at all... don’t worry though, I literally just went onto iTunes and previewed tracks at random... and me likee...
    Why would it upset me? I know you're a young'un. Yep, Nancy is the truth. She's recently retired from performing, but is one of the most supple and sophisticated song stylists of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Why would it upset me? I know you're a young'un. Yep, Nancy is the truth. She's recently retired from performing, but is one of the most supple and sophisticated song stylists of all time.
    Ah well thanks for understanding sans. But it’s all good 'cause I’ve already downloaded several of her albums onto the iPod and am thoroughly enjoying them.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    Can I retitle this topic what is your favorite Nancy Wilson album?

Can I retitle this topic what is your favorite Nancy Wilson album?
    You might want to start a new thread temptsfan

I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Reunion".

I can't think of any other group [[Motown, or otherwise?) that took the current line-up and added former members to record new music?

I thought their 80's albums were very consistent. I bought them all but i would have to pick out Together Again and the wonderful Truly For You as my absolute favourites.This was a good time creatively for the Temps, and a very underrated period in their glorious history.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned "Reunion".

I can't think of any other group [[Motown, or otherwise?) that took the current line-up and added former members to record new music?
    I forgot about Reunion mary! What a great album. Love it.

There’s no other LP in the world where you’ll find David, Eddie and Dennis all singing lead on the same track. [[I’m talking studio recordings )

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I thought their 80's albums were very consistent. I bought them all but i would have to pick out Together Again and the wonderful Truly For You as my absolute favourites.This was a good time creatively for the Temps, and a very underrated period in their glorious history.
    Definitely Bluebrock. "glorious history" — precisely. Love it.

temptationsfan500 Guest
    I found and still find Reunion a disappointment. Maybe if the whole album had been produced by Rick James and been more cohesive?

I found and still find Reunion a disappointment. Maybe if the whole album had been produced by Rick James and been more cohesive?
    I agree. I never cared for the entire album.

Mmm, you're probably right temptsfan. Might be because the standards were so high with all those Tempts together...

I would definitely have loved to see the leads dished around more, like with the fantastic "Standing On The Top". Still, for me it’s a good album and an absolutely fascinating one in The Tempts' history. I adore "You Better Beware", produced by Barrett Strong... also "More On The Inside" produced by Smokey Robinson... and "Lock It In The Pocket" produced by Berry Gordy himself.

As you say not very consistent or cohesive [[and I would have loved to hear a Rick James-produced Tempts album) but a really interesting album.

Part of the problem with the[reunion]lp may have been the fact that eddie's voice was shot by the time they recorded it,legend has it that there were leads for eddie but...??

temptationsfan500 Guest
    [QUOTE=arr&bee;429798]Part of the problem with the[reunion]lp may have been the fact that eddie's voice was shot by the time they recorded it,legend has it that there were leads for eddie but...??[/QUOTE

The reunion was sort of a disappointment, but at least they tried it. However those Tempts and Tops shows in the 80s were a lot of fun! Still are.

Quote Originally Posted by arr&bee View Post
    Part of the problem with the[reunion]lp may have been the fact that eddie's voice was shot by the time they recorded it,legend has it that there were leads for eddie but...??
    Ooh sounds interesting arr&bee. I know Eddie only did about three lines of lead singing on "Standing On The Top" but I thought he was pretty good. And of course you had the Ruffin & Kendrick album a couple of years later on which Eddie did do a fair bit of singing!