[REMOVE ADS]

There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose

YES, HERE IT IS, PEOPLE, THE LONG-AWAITED, HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED, SEEMINGLY ULTRA-RARE ORIGINALS SINGLE FROM 1973...

Many thanks to John G Byrne for posting... unfortunately the audio is a bit off IMO... but listening now this is an excellent song... enjoy... especially Gary and hman
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-26-2017 at 12:38 PM.

Hey, thank you so much, Tom, and many thanks to your friend for going to the trouble of posting this seemingly rare and excellent Motown masterpiece for us. BTW, if you've been wondering why I've been less impatient lately to hear this record again after all these years, it's because I took the advice of a fellow Motown poster who suggested that if we wanna hear the song so bad, we should buy a copy of the 45. And that's exactly what I did! Got me a brand new copy back in the summer on Discogs for $15.00 or so. [[I would have gladly uploaded it here to share with y'all, but I have no idea how or where to start the process.)

Just to keep the pot boiling, and sure to make things more confusing, my copy of The Originals "There's A Chance When You Love You'll Lose" is a different mix from the one your friend uploaded. Near the end of the YouTube version, the guitars are WAY OUT FRONT of the rest of the instrumentation -- almost annoyingly so. In my new copy, the guitars are back in the mix where they normally would be. And, in that sense, the mix on my new copy is exactly like the mix used on the copy I bought back in 1973 when it was originally released.

And now, to make matters even MORE confusing, when I bought my new copy back in the summer, the only thing that surprised me was that I could have sworn remembering that the strings were used throughout the entire record. On my new copy, however, and in your friend's mix, the strings aren't really apparent at all until the instrumental break near the end of the record. Does this all mean that there was a 3rd mix released? If only The Complete Motown Singles CD box set series had gone one more year to include 1973, all mixes for "TACWYLYL" would have been included.

Alas, so lives the never-ending mystery of Motown!

OH MY GARY, THE MYSTERY CONTINUES, lol

Wow it does seem there are several different versions of this song. I agree we really need a digital/CD reissue to get them all released. Hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    OH MY GARY, THE MYSTERY CONTINUES, lol

Wow it does seem there are several different versions of this song. I agree we really need a digital/CD reissue to get them all released. Hopefully
    Amen, Sir Thomas Of Tomatoes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Amen, Sir Thomas Of Tomatoes!!
    LOL, I like that title, thanks Gary

HaHa! You're welcome, Tom! BTW, I just played your friend's version [[above) again and I was wrong. Those way-out-front guitars aren't just occuring in the ending. They're way out front throughout the entire track. In fact, I just played my own copy again to be absolutely sure, and, sure enough, as I remembered, the guitars are back in the mix where they would normally be on a Motown recording. In fact, on my copy, the only instrument that sticks out more than usual is the piano, but that doesn't bother me at all. It makes it kinda churchy [[and my original copy that I bought in 1973 was the same as well.) I'm wondering if your friend ran his copy through a mixer first to make the guitars so unusually over-prominent? I can't imagine Motown releasing it like that. If you could her the mix that I have, which I've always known and loved, I'm pretty sure you would like it a lot better. [[As an extra note, in the first stanza of the song, I've always loved the line, "I watched my best friend die." Powerful stuff.... in a powerful song that should have sounded beautiful here.)

Tom, I almost forgot -- As the plot grows ever thicker, my copy of TACWYLYL also has a very short intro which is missing in your friend's uploaded version above.

Let's hope a comprehensive CD set of Originals' albums, plus bonus tracks, is in the thoughts of a decent reissue company.

Yes, Sir! That would be perfect. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

honest man Guest
    YES, HERE IT IS, PEOPLE, THE LONG-AWAITED, HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED, SEEMINGLY ULTRA-RARE ORIGINALS SINGLE FROM 1973...

Many thanks to John G Byrne for posting... unfortunately the audio is a bit off IMO... but listening now this is an excellent song... enjoy... especially Gary and hman
    WOW Tom you've made my day,lovely song reminds me off Chi-lites ,which is no bad thing,love it will give a few more spins,and thank you very much to the YT poster,much appreciated to both of you,cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    WOW Tom you've made my day,lovely song reminds me off Chi-lites ,which is no bad thing,love it will give a few more spins,and thank you very much to the YT poster,much appreciated to both of you,cheers Tom
    You're welcome hman! Glad you enjoyed it. Now you mention it I get the Chi-Lites reference... a sad but killer ballad

You're welcome hman! Glad you enjoyed it. Now you mention it I get the Chi-Lites reference... a sad but killer ballad
    Tom and honest man [[and anyone else) -- It's Motown at its usual finest, and I knew y'all would love it!

I think the reason it sounds different here is that it is a stereo mix and the video only has the left channel. For comparison, I have posted a video made using the promo 45.

Looking at their discography, I see an album for every year of the 70s except 1973, in which they had three non-LP singles. [edit: more like two, since "Young Train" was apparently made in support of a mayoral candidate, and so probably wouldn't have made it to an album in any case] Is there an unreleased LP from that year?

Last edited by TrulyYours; 12-04-2017 at 02:44 PM. Reason: correction

Quote Originally Posted by TrulyYours View Post
    I think the reason it sounds different here is that it is a stereo mix and the video only has the left channel. For comparison, I have posted a video made using the promo 45.

Looking at their discography, I see an album for every year of the 70s except 1973, in which they had three non-LP singles. [edit: more like two, since "Young Train" was apparently made in support of a mayoral candidate, and so probably wouldn't have made it to an album in any case] Is there an unreleased LP from that year?

Hey, we're getting closer, TrulyYours! The version you posted sounds exactly like the mix on my commercial copy! There's just one difference -- your posted version contains only 2/3 of the song! Where your posted version fades out, my copy goes into the instrumental break, followed by the last verse and chorusn which then fades out [[as in the first left-channel-only video at the very top of this thread).

Thanks for solving the left-channel-only mystery as to why the first posted mix sounded so much different from my 45, which, in turn, explains why the guitars stuck out like a sore thumb!

Gary

I'm glad you mentioned that Gary. I didn't notice until now that the promo 45 has a duration of 2:58 on the a-side [[the one I've been listening to) and 3:57 on the other a-side. I'll check it out after work and, if it is so, post a new video with the longer version.

The promo 45 does indeed have a longer version on the flip. It is about 4:15. It's really a beautiful recording. I wonder why it wasn't included on either of the Originals compilation CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by TrulyYours View Post
    The promo 45 does indeed have a longer version on the flip. It is about 4:15. It's really a beautiful recording. I wonder why it wasn't included on either of the Originals compilation CDs.

Bullseye, TrulyYours! THIS is the version that matches my copy, as well as the version that I've known and loved since 1973! Why it wasn't included on any of The Originals CD compilations is beyond me. You've gotta wonder why Motown didn't at least include it on any of The Originals' albums. Or, better yet, why wasn't it a hit? It's got HIT RECORD stamped all over it, and it's one of my all-time favorite Originals tracks. I guess it's just another one of Motown's many mysteries. Anyway, thanks for posting this perfect version, TrulyYours. It's sounding real good!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 12-05-2017 at 04:45 PM.