[REMOVE ADS]

Ms. Della Reese RIP

A Detroit original and legend, Della Reese has passed. A huge talent as a singer and actress[[and my Grandma's favorite singer!). According to Martha Reeves she was the inspiration for the name "Vandallas":

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/de...D=ansmsnnews11

This is really terrible news. Della was an amazing singer. I have all of her albums. May she Rest In Peace.

A fantastic lady! So talented, so funny! I'll miss her.

So sorry to hear. RIP Della Reese.

Another sad loss. Della Reese was a real pioneer and multi-talented.

Della stole my heart in Touched By An Angel...she seemed to be so at home with the role I actually believe it was "her"

I bought my first Della lp when I was a young teenager. She was one of the very first Jazz vocalists that turned me on to the whole genre. I've loved her music ever since.

This recording is not typical of Della by any means, but since the post is here on the Motown forum....

R.I.P Della. And thankyou.

The beloved Della could just about do it all: sing, act, host, you name it. And leave us not forget her huge influence on Martha, who not only admired her, but even named the VanDELLAs in her honor. She lived a full and exemplary life. May she rest in peace.

honest man Guest
    She done some brill songs Blow Out the sun-Clock with no hands-Not one minute more etc,love these songs and many more by her God Bless.

All these people we were familiar with are passing on

And on the American Music Awards, besides Berry Smokey and Diana - how many people were we really familiar with?

Time is marching on............

Della Reese was a trailblazing entertainer. One of the few black female recording artists who enjoyed pop chart success in the 50s and she was a headlining cabaret attraction across the country for decades. She managed to spread her wings into acting and became a TV personality. A long illustrious career. She once said that she walked through many back doors so that [contemporary black entertainers] could walk in through the front. My favorites are "Here's That Rainy Day" and "Choice of Colors."

RIP Della Reese.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Della Reese was a trailblazing entertainer. One of the few black female recording artists who enjoyed pop chart success in the 50s and she was a headlining cabaret attraction across the country for decades. She managed to spread her wings into acting and became a TV personality. A long illustrious career. She once said that she walked through many back doors so that [contemporary black entertainers] could walk in through the front. My favorites are "Here's That Rainy Day" and "Choice of Colors."

RIP Della Reese.
    This is a very nice and fitting tribute. She will be missed.

I found this record and wore it out. I was so happy to find it a few years ago as a German RCA CD. And of course, I found a few more copies of the LP over the years and bought them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMnhB_4Jx4
    Last edited by thanxal; 11-22-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Not Japan. German.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I found this record and wore it out. I was so happy to find it a few years ago as a German RCA CD. And of course, I found a few more copies of the LP over the years and bought them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TMnhB_4Jx4
    Oh, yes! I just got this album over a month ago on a Della CD comp called “Swing, Slow and Cha-Cha-Cha.” I’m waiting for it to pop up on my iTunes [[I listen to my music exclusively on random play; keeps life interesting).

Here's one of my favorites of Della's recordings. "Don't You Know":

A very talented performer who gave us lots of pleasure, and her passing will not alter that. She managed to reach a good age which makes her passing a sad event rather than a tragic one, but she will be fondly remembered by many people on this forum. May she rest in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Oh, yes! I just got this album over a month ago on a Della CD comp called “Swing, Slow and Cha-Cha-Cha.” I’m waiting for it to pop up on my iTunes [[I listen to my music exclusively on random play; keeps life interesting).
    Hey sans, I started doing that recently and you’re right, it’s so fun, lol! The iPod plays tracks I would never normally go out of my way to listen to... and I believe you can also shuffle artists, albums and genres... love it

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey sans, I started doing that recently and you’re right, it’s so fun, lol! The iPod plays tracks I would never normally go out of my way to listen to... and I believe you can also shuffle artists, albums and genres... love it
    A man after my own heart! You’re right; 20 years ago, 90% of my collection got no love. Now, it’s a smorgasbord of fun!

Here's How Celebrities Are Mourning The Death Of Della Reese

https://www.buzzfeed.com/michaelblac...R97#.omJkzqByr

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I bought my first Della lp when I was a young teenager. She was one of the very first Jazz vocalists that turned me on to the whole genre. I've loved her music ever since.

This recording is not typical of Della by any means, but since the post is here on the Motown forum....

R.I.P Della. And thankyou.

I love this arrangement and Della just tears this song up! She gives it a truly deep meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    All these people we were familiar with are passing on

And on the American Music Awards, besides Berry Smokey and Diana - how many people were we really familiar with?

Time is marching on............
    This is very sad and very true. It saddens me greatly when the great voices, the great composers, or the great arrangers pass. I must be getting old, since I'm the only one in my circle who knows these names. Imagine. Ms. Della Reese, Ms. Ella Fitzgerald, Ms. Sarah Vaughan never once used an auto-tuner. I tell my kids that you can tell a great singer by listening to their live recordings. If they can't sing live, they can't sing.