[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    According the UK diplomatic sources quoted in the reports, the former interior minister had built up in over six years a special security system that was managed by 22 officers and that employed a number of former radical Islamists, drug dealers and some security firms to carry out acts of sabotage around the country in case the regime was under threat to collapse.
    Probe starts on Adly’s reported role in Alex church attack
    Ex-minister suspected behind Alex church bombing

Monday, 07 February 2011

CAIRO [[Farrag Ismael)
    Egypt's general prosecutor on Monday opened probe on former Interior Minister Habib el-Adly's reported role in the New Year's Eve bombing of al-Qiddissin Church in Alexandria in which 24 people were killed, an Egyptian lawyer told Al Arabiya.

Laywer Ramzi Mamdouh said he had presented a proclamation to Egyptian prosecutor Abd al-Majid Mahmud to investigate news media reports suggesting that the former interior ministry had masterminded the deadly church attack with the intent to blame it on Islamists, escalate government crackdown on them, and gain increased western support for the regime.

Mahmud said the information contained in some reports were "serious."
    The proclamation, numbered 1450, pointed to the news reports sourcing a UK diplomat who explained the reasons why Britain has insisted on the immediate departure of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and his regime, especially his interior ministry's security apparatus previously directed by el-Adly.

Full Story

Somebody please tell the Egyptians to leave those pyramids ALONE. We built them once, and we AIN'T building them again!

on a formal level Mubarek was elected President so is quite within his rights to decide when he goes.

on a pragmatic level I can't imagine he is staying on without the support of the military so will be hard to overthrow without bloodshed.

i agree that he is digging in. the fight for change will be a long road. Noone of the elite will give their power away without a struggle.

the problem that the protesters have had from the beginning is the lack of a focal point, someone to mobilise a unified response. Until that happens, is it right to leave a people of 85 million without a leader? Continuing the state of emergency would be more justified than ever if there is anarchy on the streets. It could quickly appear that he is the only voice of reason in such a situation. Hopefully this won't happen

the saudis seem to be warning the west off interfering and are covertly supporting Mubarek so already the oil card is coming to the surface. The further the west stays away from this the better.

Mubarak was suppose to be leaving today, but in his speech this afternoon......he ain't leaving! Even I am starting to get pissed. There is definitely going to be violence behind this. He could have avoided it,.

Egypt was ok when the camels were running things,then the u.s.had to go over there and talk em into doing those cigarette commercials and they went all hollywood.

Quote Originally Posted by arrr&bee View Post
    Egypt was ok when the camels were running things,then the u.s.had to go over there and talk em into doing those cigarette commercials and they went all hollywood.
    Please stop......hehehehehehehe!!!!

bobkayli

I understand what you're saying but don't necessarily agree. The protesters have been extremely focused and organized. They have committees set up throughout the protesters from all different groups, they have medical supplies, their own security force, food and clothing supplies, a clean up force, etc.

This is not, nor has it ever been about one person but about the people. This has never been about the USA, Israel, the rest of the Middle East, oil, stability, Muslim Brotherhood, opposition parties, but the Egyptian people and their rights. For whatever reason no one understands or accepts that. They play lip service to it but they are so busy with their own agenda they are not LISTENING!

I understand everyone have their worries but their worries are not those of these protesters. To them, it's about social justice not politics.

They want Mubarak and his regime out, they will not accept anything less and will not even try to negotiate until he's out. So what would be the point of one leader stepping up until the old regime leaves?

The groups that sat down with Suleiman did not represent the protesters, they did their own thing because of their own agendas and the protesters are cool with it and even understand they have to do whatever it is they do, but do not recognize them as their leaders. When you put out a call for millions of people and they come out and are peaceful, to think the protesters are not in charge of their own destiny, is an insult to each an every person on the street.

When and if Mubarak and now Suleiman goes, they will have members of "their" committees sit down with whoever is in charge but until then, they will continue on.

Don't know about the media there but the US media sucks when it comes to reporting this. AJE is not the best media outlet and their anchors can be annoying sometime [[just like most outlets) but they have been on top of this like no other outlet I've seen. They push and prod to the point of making you want to throw something at them but whenever they speak to pro democracy protesters, all the pushing in the world does not provoke these people. They are not deterred from their goals and they KNOW what those goals are. The panels AJE show are extremely informative helping people to understand the minds of the people in the street.

Now, with that arrogant statement tonight, things could escalate because they are PISSED but I personally think that is what this regime was going for. They want to provoke, they want them to loose control so they can justify force against them.

Not all of these folks are "young" there are many older people in the crowd from all walks of life and the young KNOW their history. They remember Nasser pulling the same trick on them back in the 50"s.

It's really tense right now, many have left Tahrir Square and camping out at the Parliament and tomorrow should be another massive turnout. Don't know how this will turn out right now but the next 24-48 hours are going to be crucial to this movement and the military will FINALLY have to step in and show who their allegiance is to, the regime or the people.
    Last edited by ms_m; 02-11-2011 at 12:48 AM.

This is a statement I can stand behind.

The Egyptian people have made it clear that there is no going back to the way things were: Egypt has changed, and its future is in the hands of the people. Those who have exercised their right to peaceful assembly represent the greatness of the Egyptian people, and are broadly representative of Egyptian society. We have seen young and old, rich and poor, Muslim and Christian join together, and earn the respect of the world through their non-violent calls for change. In that effort, young people have been at the forefront, and a new generation has emerged. They have made it clear that Egypt must reflect their hopes, fulfill their highest aspirations, and tap their boundless potential. In these difficult times, I know that the Egyptian people will persevere, and they must know that they will continue to have a friend in the United States of America.

Full Speech

smark21 Guest
    Unlike Jennifer Holliday and Jennifer Hudson, Mubarak is not able to win a crowd over when he performs "And I'm Telling You, I'm Not Going".

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Unlike Jennifer Holliday and Jennifer Hudson, Mubarak is not able to win a crowd over when he performs "And I'm Telling You, I'm Not Going".
    You are so crazy!!!

I listened to that assholes address today via Randi Rhodes show. And when he was spewing on Randi said "he's not going" and the translator could be heard trying to speak but you could tell he was repulsed by the words of Mubarak's shit.

Reminds me of Marcos in 1986.

Bobkayli,

I'm watching a mini documentary now about a group called the April 6 Movement. They were formed in 2008 and have been the backbone of most major protests in Egypt for the last several years. They are extremely organized, dedicated and on top of things AND there ARE leaders. Not as in a political leader but someone who helps people who help themselves.

This is a "peoples' movement" and the media and those outside of Egypt will never get it until they stop looking at this through the eyes of the West. Which imo has been the reason for so many failed polices from the Western world and it's leaders towards the Middle East.

AJE [[Al Jazeera/English) usually repeat their programs so if you check their site on the net you should be able to find the next broadcast. The documentary is called "People In Power."

Mubarak has resigned!

The MILITARY will take control of Egypt during the transition!!!

Bobkayli: Not a bad accomplishment for a "leaderless" group of protesters, eh?

CAIRO — President Hosni Mubarak of Egypt turned over all power to the military, and left the Egyptian capital for his resort home in Sharm el-Sheik, Vice President Omar Suleiman announced on state television on Friday.
    The announcement, delivered during evening prayers in Cairo, set off a frenzy of celebration, with protesters shouting “Egypt is free!”
    The Egyptian military issued a communiqué pledging to carry out a variety of constitutional reforms in a statement notable for its commanding tone. The military’s statement alluded to the delegation of power to Vice President Omar Suleiman and it suggested that the military would supervise implementation of the reforms.
    Tanks outside prez palace turn their barrels away from crowd. Cheer goes up. One soldier climbs out of tank, hangs #Egypt flag on turret
    3o years of rule is now over!

.....and he is OUTTA THERE! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Mubarak has resigned!
    th,th,th, THAT'S ALL FOLKS!

Don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out!

At least one country in the Middle East has been able to "say goodbye" and they've done so relatively peacefully so far. Hopefully, what is to come turns out to be a breath of fresh air.

Statement From the Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces

Full EAF Supreme Council Statement: The Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces issued its second statement today Friday. It says the following:

Due to the consecutive developments in current incidents and which define the destiny of the country, and in context of continuous follow up for internal and external incidents, and the decision to delegate responsibilities to the vice president of the country, and in belief in our national responsibility to preserve the stability and safety of the nation.

The Supreme Council of the Egyptian Armed Forces decided to secure the implementation of the following procedures:

First: End the state of emergency as soon as the current circumstances are over.
    Decide on the appeals against elections and consequent measures.

Conduct needed legislative amendments and conduct free and fair presidential elections in light of the approved constitutional amendments.

Second: The Armed forces are committed to sponsor the legitimate demands of the people and achieving them by following on the implementation of these procedures in the defined time frames with all accuracy and seriousness and until the peaceful transfer of authority is completed towards a free democratic community that the people aspire to.

Third: The Armed Forces emphasize on no security pursuit of the honest people who refused the corruption and demanded reforms, and warns against touching the security and safety of the nation and the people. And emphasizes the need for regular work in state facilities and regaining of life to normal to preserve the interests and possessions of our great people.

God protect the nation and the people.

Out with the old...

military have disbanded cabinet and both houses of parliament

You can breathe now Bobkayli

Oil prices fall on Mubarak's resignation

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/11/mark...ties/index.htm

President Obama speaking on Egypt

"Egyptians have inspired us" by putting "lie to the idea that justice must be gained through violence. He says in the protests we hear the "echoes of history." Quoting Martin Luther King: "there's something in the soul that cries out for freedom."

Now that's what I call a TEA PARTY! hehehehehehe! Go Egypt!

Throw shoes not bombs

The Tea Party could learn from this....although I doubt they will, they're much too afraid waiting for the boogeyman to come.

The Egyptians want peace because they know it's in the best interest of the Egyptian people.

I've always felt, it's not the protesters or what thy were trying to achieve that people needed to worry about, but the folks that are shaking in their boots....

Quote Originally Posted by StuBass1 View Post
    Somebody please tell the Egyptians to leave those pyramids ALONE. We built them once, and we AIN'T building them again!
    To quote from Oscar Brown's "The Lone Ranger"

"......,we,......?"

One thing that may have had an influence on the army brass is that it is a conscription.....as in drafted......army. An army made up of "the people", and if they had turned the army on the population, forces may have turned against the command staff.

It's going to be interesting to watch over the next few months. The fact that Mubarak has been replaced by a Supreme Council doesn't mean democracy will come to Egypt. First, it's not an easy concept to grasp, especially if you're a country like Egypt, with no insutuional memory of what self determination is like.

Second, the Egyptian Constitution has been suspended if only by the fact that a junta has taken over outside of the scope of the constitution. Changes in the document are good and welcome, but it would be up to the Supreme Council, already operating outside of the "founding document" to change the constitution in a way the people will accept, then relinquish the power it has currently taken once the changes are made. One can and should hope for the best, but it wouldn't hurt to keep your fingers crossed, too.

Hi Ms M

Great news. The protesters deserve to enjoy the moment.

It is the time to savour the moment so I'll stay quiet [[well almost) but there's a lot going on in my head about why this happened and what happens next.

The military have played it about right up to now and I sincerely hope it continues this way.

Meanwhile I want to see these petrol prices dropping at my service station like you promised.....

I didn't promise, they did
    Oil prices fall on Mubarak's resignation

http://money.cnn.com/2011/02/11/mark...ties/index.htm

Right now the people are celebrating, as well they should. They gave their blood for this moment. Tonight they party, tomorrow they will get down to work.

Apparently Murbarak screwed the military last night. [[so goes the rumor) As a matter of fact, the 1st report that came out last night was from the Military saying he would step down. Even the Whitehouse was under that impression. Supposedly when he made that statement, everyone was pissed.

The eyes of the people are open, I wish people would give them credit where credit is do. They are not stupid people, they know this will not be easy but there is no going back, they will not be beaten down again.

I can't speak for what powers outside of Egypt will do but Egypt and it's people will never be the same, time for people to learn to live with it!

btw the first person I thought of when I heard the news was you. I knew how happy you'd be and that put a stupid smile on my face.

your enthusiasm is infectious!

as for fuel prices, you told me I could breathe again. I'm going to sit in the service station forecourt until they put their prices down [[unless its raining or cold of course).

Bobkayli I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for the people of Egypt. I'm also extremely impressed with their resolve and their courage. They showed the entire world that the voice of the people could make a change, not guns or some political leader but the people!

While everyone was running around saying the sky was falling, they refuse to give up, they refuse to give in....and they will keep on, keeping on, fighting for the life they know they deserve....even if it means going back to the streets!

This could be the very thing that was needed to change how people see the people of the Middle East, the decent people, everyday people, not the extremist but the real people of the Middle East. They want the same things we want, they want peace, a decent life, freedom....but there will always be skeptics, always be someone that will try to tear others down, such is life...but never again will it be the life for the Egyptian people! Amazing what happens when people finally wake up!!!!

It's been a brave achievement and they deserve all the support we can give them. Let's hope it is the start of better times. My world weariness reminds me that deserts contain mirages and shifting sands but tonight it's certainly Midnight at the Oasis for the Egyptians as Maria Muldaur would have put it.
    Better stop my bad Sahara analogies before I depress myself! This is supposed to be a happy night.
    Coincidentally I have had Chairman of the Board playing on i-tunes in the background. 'Working on a building of love' and 'I'm on my way to a better place' seemed to fit with what's going on. Then Curtis came on with 'keep on keeping on' which fits well too. Is this a sign?
    I wish that standing in a square protesting would get my kitchen re-fitted as quick as it makes a government fall. Two months planning already with nothing to show yet. Any ideas to help on this one?

Now here is an interesting little quote, I'm listening to report from a reporter who spoke with an Israeli official who said, Israel's major concern is not the Peace Accord, "they are worried they will no longer be able to act with impunity against the Palestinian People."

In the past they always relied on Mubarak to back them up no matter how they acted toward the Palestinian people. Even when the rest of the world complained, they could point to Egypt, an Arab country and say, they are ok with it. They are afraid, that's about to change. They are afraid a new Egyptian democracy will no longer accept it....well, well, well.

Much too early to tell and it will take time and hard work but THIS, could be change you can believe in!

Any ideas to help on this one?

Egyptian workers??? LOL

Great idea!

The price that the fitters are asking could kick-start the Egyptian economy.

Am off to bed now as its 1 a.m. here.

Enjoy the rest of your day!!

nite, nite

Quote Originally Posted by ms_m View Post
    Now here is an interesting little quote, I'm listening to report from a reporter who spoke with an Israeli official who said, Israel's major concern is not the Peace Accord, "they are worried they will no longer be able to act with impunity against the Palestinian People."

In the past they always relied on Mubarak to back them up no matter how they acted toward the Palestinian people. Even when the rest of the world complained, they could point to Egypt, an Arab country and say, they are ok with it. They are afraid, that's about to change. They are afraid a new Egyptian democracy will no longer accept it....well, well, well.

Much too early to tell and it will take time and hard work but THIS, could be change you can believe in!
    Oh it is going to change. It is all going to change.

I hope so Marv, I have total and complete faith in the people of Egypt, err body else, I'll keep my good eye on ....including the good old US of A.

Our Foreign Policy has sucked for too long, I would rather see President Obama go down fighting to finally change it, than continue the status quo....but when all is said and done, the people here have to change their mindset as well. We can't keep pointing the finger at Washington when we are burying our heads in the sand too.

Egypt to respect all treaties

Egypt's military authorities have reaffirmed the country's commitment to all its international treaties.

The announcement, which was read by a senior officer on state TV, implicitly confirms that the country's peace treaty with Israel will remain intact.

The military also vowed to oversee a peaceful transition to civilian rule.

Bobkayli I was listening to an explanation as to why the protesters were so averse to having one leader speak for them. They truly want a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Their goal is not to elect someone and then go about their business; they plan to stay actively involved in their government and their country.

They are intelligent, realistic and understand change is a process that will not happen over night but they want to see a government that is honest and accountable to the people. They are not even leaving the Square until they feel confident, their government is heading in the right direction. They are truly committed and it will continue to be inspiring to watch the Egyptian people truly take back their country.

They have been beaten down and apathetic for so long, they don’t plan to turn back and the fact there are an estimated 80 plus million people with 50% under the age of 30, I think they have a real change at achieving their goals in the long term.

Today as they go around the cities cleaning and picking up their trash they are passing out fliers to let people know it’s their obligation and civic duty, to stay engage.

I have a friend whose favorite saying is, “don’t tell me who you are, show me what you do.” So far what the Egyptian people “do,” tells me all I need to know about the heart and soul of the Egyptian people.

Work starts on my kitchen on tuesday!

Not a bad analysis of what's next:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12438007

Seeing Algeria and Yemen having similar protests suggests that there is a lot more to come. They are both very different from Egypt though.

In the end a leader has to be chosen. Not choosing has helped until now because it has kept the focus channelled on ousting Mubarek and the differences submerged. but there comes a time when protesting stops and running a country becomes important. Then the differences will emerge. Hopefully they can be managed.

The military have shown already a very shrewd approach and will be no pushover. Will ousting Mubarek be enough for the masses when the euphoria has dissipated? Not for the protesters certainly, but keeping mass support of this sort is not easy, people have families, lives to lead, bills to pay. This is the protesters real challenge now.

There is a long road ahead. i wish them well.

Obviously a leader will be chosen through an election but you're missing my point. The best example I can give you is what I've seen here in the States. A large majority of the people in this country feel the only thing they need to do is vote, and many don't even bother to do that. Yet they are easy to criticize and bitch when the people they elect are not doing what they want. That's all they do, sit around doing nothing but bitch, complain and criticize. The reason behind the apathy here is not the same as it was in Egypt, but the apathy is there just the same. Of course there are exceptions to the rule but that's how it is here in general terms.

I don't see that happening in Egypt again once they get things together. These people will be actively engage throughout the entire process. They will be proactive before they are reactive. They are true activist and they will stay involved and teach the ones behind them, to do the same.

From here on out they will be apart of the process as oppose to sitting back letting the process simply happen without letting their voices be heard.

I hope it continues to remain obvious that FREE elections are needed in Egypt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TOP STORY

Soldiers are surrounded by protesters during a demonstration in Tahrir Square in Egypt in this undated photo.

Egyptian military leaders suspend constitution

13/02/2011 2:39:36 PM

CTV.ca News Staff
    Egypt's military rulers dissolved parliament and suspended the constitution on Sunday, meeting two key demands from pro-democracy protesters as they maintained a presence in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

The military leadership that took power when President Hosni Mubarak stepped down on Friday said they will run the country for six months or until presidential and parliamentary elections can be held.

Protesters had been pressuring the ruling military to move forward with the transition process by appointing a presidential council, dissolving the parliament and releasing detainees.

Both the lower and upper houses of parliament were being dissolved; elections held in November and December had been heavily rigged by the ruling party and virtually shut out the opposition.

The military announced on Sunday that it was forming a committee to amend the constitution and establish rules for a referendum to endorse the amendments.

The announcement came as the military faced tense opposition as it moved to dismantle a protest camp in Tahrir Square on Sunday, where labour unrest continued days after Mubarak was forced from office.

A dwindling band of protesters struggled to hold on to the position they held throughout an 18-day pro-democracy demonstration that led to Mubarak's ouster.

Meantime, groups of textile and ceramic factory workers and bankers held protests in attempts to improve their position as the country goes through democratic reforms.

Members of Egypt's maligned police force also held demonstrations in from of the Interior Ministry, demanding better living conditions while seeking absolution for their role in opposing the weeks-long demonstration.

"All these orders were coming from senior leaders, this is not our fault," Said Abdul-Rahim, a low-ranking officer, told The Associated Press.

The ongoing protests come as the military struggles to keep the peace while paving the way for democratic reform and an eventual election.

Some protests refused to leave Tahrir Square, the epicentre of the popular uprising, fearful that the generals who had been entrusted to lead the transition would not fulfill their promises.

The main coalition of opposition groups announced it will end its protest in Tahrir Square, but will still hold weekly demonstrations after Friday prayers. Other protesters vowed to remain in the square indefinitely.

Learning how to rule will be a challenge for The Armed Forces Supreme Council, which was handed power following Mubarak's exile and promised to usher in a legitimate, democratically-elected government.

The army backed the people through the protests and was greeted with love after Mubarak's resignation. But analysts wonder how long the trust can last.

"The military has basically upheld its popularity, its affiliation with the public. But that was while President Mubarak was in the mix," Kamran Bokhari, regional director for Stratfor, a global intelligence agency, told CTV News Channel on Saturday.

"Now that he is going and all eyes are on the military we are probably going to see a shift. People are already very cynical and saying ‘let's see what is going to happen.'"

Sunday's tension followed a moving symbolic gesture on Saturday, when thousands began cleaning the rubble and garbage from Tahrir Square.

Nasser Abdel-Hamid, a protest organizer who has been camped on Tahrir Square since protests began on Jan. 25, said it was time to show faith in the military.

"We were chanting peacefully," he told The Associated Press. "They wanted to remove the tents but we still need guarantees. The army's latest statement was vague and didn't tell us exactly what they are going to do."

With files from The Associated Press

Bobkayli, you may have seen this already since much of it was posted in the Guardian but this underscores how well organized and prepared the Egyptian protest were.

Egyptian Activists' Action Plan: Translated
    Jan 27 2011, 7:40 PM ET By Alexis Madrigal Comment
    Egyptian activists have been circulating a kind of primer to Friday's planned protest. We were sent the plan by two separate sources and have decided to publish excerpts here, with translations into English. Over Twitter, we connected with a translator, who translated the document with exceptional speed.

What follows are side-by-side translations of nine pages from the 26-page pamphlet. They were translated over the last hour and pasted up in Photoshop to give you an idea of what's in the protest plan. While the plan itself contains specifics about what protesters might do, these excerpts show how one might equip oneself for clashes with riot police. Egyptian security forces have repeatedly beaten protesters as the level of violent repression of demonstrations has ratcheted upwards. For more context on the pamphlet itself, the Guardian UK ran a summary of it earlier today.

As you'll read, the creators of the pamphlet explicitly asked that the pamphlet not be distributed on Twitter or Facebook, only through email or other contacts. We're publishing this piece of ephemera because we think it's a fascinating part of the historical record of what may end up becoming a very historic day for Egypt.

Full Article

I wonder how long it will be before there is huge disappointment by the people. Today, I heard it would be six months before any election. I also heard a story that people did not understand that anyone could run for President; they did not understand the concept.

They've come a long way; I hope they have lots of support.

I also heard a story that people did not understand that anyone could run for President; they did not understand the concept.
    Don't know where you heard that but it's not true. The protesters are probably more aware of democracy and it's concept than many people here in the US, or any other "free" country. Many of the young are extremely educated. Egypt is not some backwards country Jobetrobe.

Why would you think they would be disappointed? Jumping into an election now doesn't make any sense and they know this. Not to mention there are still things they want to see done before an election is held.

People in the West really need to get a grip about other countries and cultures. We are the ones without a clue.

Doug:
    The cuts hit far and wide: airports, heat subsidies for the poor, water treatment plants and Pell grants are just some of the targets. In total, half of all government agencies would see their funding reduced from 2010 levels.
    Obama's spending plan: Where the cuts are

NEW YORK [[CNNMoney) -- President Obama's budget for 2012 takes a sharp knife to government spending, with proposed cuts that will reduce deficits by hundreds of billions of dollars over 10 years.
    The bulk of the cuts are needed to support Obama's proposed five-year freeze on non-security discretionary spending, for $400 billion in savings. It's a small part of the federal budget, but one that is responsible for many popular government activities.
    Full Article

I give it a month before the radical Islamists start making inroads. But, it's just a wait-and-see thing.

It's the futures traders that are driving up the cost of oil.

No, Muslims are not taking over the world
    The global Muslim population is projected to grow at a slower pace than it did during the previous two decades
    • John Esposito and Sheila Lalwani
    • guardian.co.uk, Friday 11 February 2011 15.21 GMT
    A recent study from the Pew Research Centre on religion and public life demonstrates that neither the UK nor Europe are in danger of a Muslim takeover, whatever the American right may believe. The Future of the Global Muslim Population: Projections for 2010-2030 is a major and comprehensive study that focuses on the Muslim populations in North America, Europe, Africa and the Asia-Pacific and provides a revealing look into the future of the Muslim population worldwide and the future makeup of the world.

According to the report, the global Muslim population is expected to increase by about 35% over the next two decades, rising from a population of 1.6 billion in 2010 to 2.2 billion in 2030. The study says that the global Muslim population is expected to grow at a faster rate than the non-Muslim population, but that the Muslim population is projected to grow at a slower pace than it did during the previous two decades.

The study makes several projections for the UK. According to the study, more than a quarter of all new immigrants to the UK in 2010 are estimated to be Muslim. These groups largely migrate from former colonial states, specifically Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. According to the study, the UK had a net inflow of roughly 64,000 Muslim immigrants in the past year and will continue to serve as a destination for Muslims. In fact, the study says that the UK is expected to have the largest increase in the number of Muslims in Europe in the next 20 years. The number of Muslims in the UK is projected to almost double from 2.9 million in 2010 to 5.6 million in 2030. By 2030, Muslims are expected to make up 8.2% of the UK's population, up from 4.6% in 2010.
    Full Article for More Facts