[REMOVE ADS]

Please Mr. Postman?

Heard this song on the radio today; maybe it's just me, but I hear a "Please Mr. Postman" lick in there.....

https://youtu.be/pBkHHoOIIn8

Yep that seems to be from PMP to me for sure.

And try singing these words over the intro to "Crocodile Rock"...

Please Mister Postman, look and see
    Is there a letter in your bag for me
    Cos it's been a mighty long time
    Since I've heard from that boyfriend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Heard this song on the radio today; maybe it's just me, but I hear a "Please Mr. Postman" lick in there.....

https://youtu.be/pBkHHoOIIn8
    I hear it maryb! I kinda like it too.

This is quite good.

Sorry, don't hear 'Postman' but I like the record.

Wow! I had no idea that there were lawyers involved. I guess I wasn't hearing things! It is a pretty catchy tune. Now I know why!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yep that seems to be from PMP to me for sure.

And try singing these words over the intro to "Crocodile Rock"...

Please Mister Postman, look and see
    Is there a letter in your bag for me
    Cos it's been a mighty long time
    Since I've heard from that boyfriend of mine

Forgot to say this blew my mind when I tried it, LOL! I would never have heard it so thanks mysterysinger. And there’s that ondioline sound at the beginning of the song that reminds me of early Motown too

I heard you singing it Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I heard you singing it Tom.
    Holy moly, how on earth did you hear me, I did it in my head, LOL

I have really gotten into this song recently... not sure if this has anything to do with it sounding like an early 60s Motown song.

I bought the single on iTunes and in the 'composers' section it listed Portugal. The Man, John Hill, Asa Taccone... and... Brian Holland, Freddie Gorman and Robert Bateman... so there you go

When I listen to song I can't really hear "Postman" but I guess it's there...
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-21-2018 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I have really gotten into this song recently... not sure if this has anything to do with it sounding like an early 60s Motown song.

I bought the single on iTunes and in the 'composers' section it listed Portugal. The Man, John Hill, Asa Taccone... and... Brian Holland, Freddie Gorman and Robert Bateman... so there you go

Songwriters ain't playing no more lol

I've been listening to both songs and for some reason cannot work out how or where they sound similar. I get the feeling that they do I just can't put my finger on it. Can anyone help?

I've been listening to both songs and for some reason cannot work out how or where they sound similar. I get the feeling that they do I just can't put my finger on it. Can anyone help?
    I would not have noticed the similarities if I was not had been instructed to listen for them. The chord structure is very similar [[The "Heart & Soul" progression. I chord, VI minor chord, IV chord, and the V chord.....in other words, C, A minor, F, G). The other thing is the rhythmic pattern of the strumming instrument has the same rhythmic pattern as the background voices from Postman that sing "Please, Mr. Postman, look and see" which is played over and over.
    By the way, I'm even confused at my explanation. LOL

It’s in the third line of the chorus, where you can replace their lyrics with “Oh, yes, wait a minute, Mr. Postman/Hey, hey, hey, hey, Mr. Postman....”.

I'm glad they added their names to the song. Imagine the lawsuits lmao

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    I would not have noticed the similarities if I was not had been instructed to listen for them. The chord structure is very similar [[The "Heart & Soul" progression. I chord, VI minor chord, IV chord, and the V chord.....in other words, C, A minor, F, G). The other thing is the rhythmic pattern of the strumming instrument has the same rhythmic pattern as the background voices from Postman that sing "Please, Mr. Postman, look and see" which is played over and over.
    By the way, I'm even confused at my explanation. LOL
    Oh my thanks jobu, unfortunately I'm even more confused than you by your explanation, LOL, thanks though.

A YouTube comment said that you can hear the similarities with "Postman" on x1.25 speed, which I also tried...

I tell ya when I finally hear the connection everything will just 'click' and my head will implode

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It’s in the third line of the chorus, where you can replace their lyrics with “Oh, yes, wait a minute, Mr. Postman/Hey, hey, hey, hey, Mr. Postman....”.
    Thanks sans, not sure if I'm doing it right but I can't get that to work for me either.

No credit for Georgia Dobbins?

Thanks sans, not sure if I'm doing it right but I can't get that to work for me either.
    Funny: just as you don't hear "Postman", I don't hear GTGIU in "Blurred Lines".

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Totally agree.

Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still" sucks! It is a weak attempt at a "retro" sound. It is just further proof how bad music become in recent years. This is a much better attempt at a "retro" sound from 2009, The Noisettes - " I'll Never Forget You":

Oh my thanks jobu, unfortunately I'm even more confused than you by your explanation, LOL, thanks though.

A YouTube comment said that you can hear the similarities with "Postman" on x1.25 speed, which I also tried...

I tell ya when I finally hear the connection everything will just 'click' and my head will implode
    I had to try real hard to hear it a few months ago - and still not totally convinced.

Currently there is a commercial on TV that uses this song. I was engaged in another activity when I heard it and did a double-take thinking it was Postman and realized it was this new song. So now I finally "heard" it. I think the key is not to "listen" for it but to "hear" it when you least expect it.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Portugal. The Man - "Feel It Still" sucks! It is a weak attempt at a "retro" sound. It is just further proof how bad music become in recent years. This is a much better attempt at a "retro" sound from 2009, The Noisettes - " I'll Never Forget You":

Well Marv I have to say I disagree! [[But don't worry, I know I'm wrong ) I love the song. It did take me a while to get into it though. Maybe give it a few more listens.

It's a pretty big hit here in the UK, I think it's #3 on the national charts right now. Certainly better than most of the other stuff on the charts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjeb View Post
    I had to try real hard to hear it a few months ago - and still not totally convinced.

Currently there is a commercial on TV that uses this song. I was engaged in another activity when I heard it and did a double-take thinking it was Postman and realized it was this new song. So now I finally "heard" it. I think the key is not to "listen" for it but to "hear" it when you least expect it.
    Hey thanks john. Maybe it will hit me when I'm not trying to hear it then.

I told my mum of the connection between the two songs and she was shocked, I don't think she hears it either.

Well Marv I have to say I disagree! [[But don't worry, I know I'm wrong ) I love the song. It did take me a while to get into it though. Maybe give it a few more listens.

It's a pretty big hit here in the UK, I think it's #3 on the national charts right now. Certainly better than most of the other stuff on the charts anyway.
    You don't like the Noisettes? HOW DARE YOU! LOL!!!!! Really it was quite a popular song in Canada, well Montreal is where I heard it first and most often. To me they had the spirit of sixties soul down without going as far as a parody or a send up of that style of music.

You don't like the Noisettes? HOW DARE YOU! LOL!!!!! Really it was quite a popular song in Canada, well Montreal is where I heard it first and most often. To me they had the spirit of sixties soul down without going as far as a parody or a send up of that style of music.
    Nooooooo Marv I mean I disagree with you about "Feel It Still", which you don't like and I do! I haven’t listened to that Noisettes song you posted. I shall right now.

Oh I quite like that marv. Very nice. Has an Amy Winehouse / Paloma Faith feel to it.

So this is the band that did the song that goes "go baby, go baby, go, don't upset the rhythm, no"... I know that one! I actually remember disliking that song, but listening now I do rather like it. Interesting group.

I like Feel It Still lol

Just because a song took from another doesn't make me automatically hate it. For example, Avant's 2014 song "You & I" with Keke Wyatt, is one of my favorite modern R&B/soul songs even if it borrowed heavily from Marvin's If I Should Die Tonight.

Oh I quite like that marv. Very nice. Has an Amy Winehouse / Paloma Faith feel to it.

So this is the band that did the song that goes "go baby, go baby, go, don't upset the rhythm, no"... I know that one! I actually remember disliking that song, but listening now I do rather like it. Interesting group.
    They're just good. They seem to make good non-complicated, feel good music. I don't if it's me getting older, but I just don't find many newer American artists music interesting. I haven't heard a lot of the Noisettes music,but certainly like this one.

. Great song great video. attractive lady!

[QUOTE=marybrewster;424660]Heard this song on the radio today; maybe it's just me, but I hear a "Please Mr. Postman" lick in there.....
    I totally agree! I am hearing more and more samplings or stealing if you will of others work these days.

No credit for Georgia Dobbins?
    Oh yea that's true mary, I wonder why she wasn't there. I shall have to add her in.

Funny: just as you don't hear "Postman", I don't hear GTGIU in "Blurred Lines".
    Agreed. The first time I heard this song, I immediately heard "Postman." It's note for note.