[REMOVE ADS]

Michael Lovesmith

Been checking out this guy’s work at Motown, and wow, there’s a lot of it — and it’s good!!! He was a writer and producer [[and singer!) for the label in the '70s and '80s, penning such toons as "All I Do Is Think Of You" for The Jackson Five... "The Devil In Mrs. Jones" for Jerry Butler... "Let’s Be Young Tonight" for Jermaine Jackson... "You Are The Heart Of Me" for The Supremes... and many more...!

He was also the writer and producer of the fantastic Motown Sounds Disco concept album... and the lead singer of his own family group Lovesmith, who had an [[excellent) album out on Motown in 1981, written and produced entirely by Michael himself! He went solo shortly after and had several LPs out in the mid-'80s as well.

Michael is clearly a very talented guy, and very much underrated at Motown... so I thought he deserved a thread of his own.

Yeah,Michael Lovesmith was a good talent."The Devil in Mrs.Jones" was written by a guy named Marvin Smith out of Chicago,the credit would've been "M.L. Smith" had it been Michael.I have a Japanese Import of the "Lovesmith" album and it's a little uneven to me,with a few songs replaced it would've been better."Look Out Below" is an absolute sleeper that was tucked away on the B side of "Shame On You",a nice song. I don't know much about his solo records mainly because I haven't gained interest yet.Mike still works with Berry Gordy as a songwriter and executive at West Grand Media.In fact,he restored the audio and video for the Motown 25 box that TimeLife and Starvista released in 2014.In addition to that,him and B.G. wrote all the new material for the Motown broadway show,where the stellar "Can I Close The Door[[On Love)"comes from.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-10-2017 at 10:46 PM.

Tom,
    I really do appreciate the fact that you bring "the music" into your posts. You are one of the more constructive contributors here. Keep up the good work.
    I had no idea about this particular writer and am now better informed by reading the Motown Forum.
    Thank you.
    Thanxal.

So many artists from that period seem to be overlooked [[by me too). Still good to go back and fill in some of the gaps [[but I'll pass on Teena Marie thanks).

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yeah,Michael Lovesmith was a good talent."The Devil in Mrs.Jones" was written by a guy named Marvin Smith out of Chicago,the credit would've been "M.L. Smith" had it been Michael.I have a Japanese Import of the "Lovesmith" album and it's a little uneven to me,with a few songs replaced it would've been better."Look Out Below" is an absolute sleeper that was tucked away on the B side of "Shame On You",a nice song. I don't know much about his solo records mainly because I haven't gained interest yet.Mike still works with Berry Gordy as a songwriter and executive at West Grand Media.In fact,he restored the audio and video for the Motown 25 box that TimeLife and Starvista released in 2014.In addition to that,him and B.G. wrote all the new material for the Motown broadway show,where the stellar "Can I Close The Door[[On Love)"comes from.
    Hi Quinn!

Thanks for the correction about "The Devil In Mrs. Jones"

I have that Japanese CD of Lovesmith, but I have to say for me it is a consistently excellent album! My favourites are "My Love Is All The Way Live", "Just Like Magic" and "The Best Of" but the production is fantastic throughout and there isn't one bad track there.

I have his first two LPs downloaded from the internet... I've listened to them briefly but haven’t really got into them yet.

Oh wow, I didnt know that about his work with Berry Gordy and the Motown Musical! Nice!

Thanks for your post Quinn!

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Tom,
    I really do appreciate the fact that you bring "the music" into your posts. You are one of the more constructive contributors here. Keep up the good work.
    I had no idea about this particular writer and am now better informed by reading the Motown Forum.
    Thank you.
    Thanxal.
    Hey, thanks thanxal! That’s what it's shall about... da music... of course. And Michael did a lot of work for Motown, he's well worth looking into. An unsung hero of Motown!

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    So many artists from that period seem to be overlooked [[by me too). Still good to go back and fill in some of the gaps [[but I'll pass on Teena Marie thanks).
    Indeed mysterysinger! Always good to go back and discover some of those lesser-known artists.

But why not Teena Marie?! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Tom,
    Thank you.
    Thanxal.
    Yep agree with Thanxal, Tom it's great to see your threads so much more interesting than the usual threads about certain group or artist.
    And thanks Quinn for that snippet that he worked with BG on Motown The Musical. I learnt something new again with these other artist threads.
    Keep 'em coming Tom.

Hey thanks Paul. I almost forgot about this thread! I was going to post some videos of his songs, which I shall do now!

From 1981's Lovesmith... "My Love Is All The Way Live"...!!!!

I was trying to think who Michael sounds like... I think it might be the guy from Shalamar... hmmm
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 11-15-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Love this

This one was written, produced and arranged by Michael... from the 1978 Motown Sounds disco album Space Dance... Philly-Disco-Funk extraordinaire!

Written by Michael Lovesmith for Bloodstone in 1978! LOVE it... yes...

IMO the song should be called "Just Want The Feel Of It" not "Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It" as, erm, that’s never actually said in the song

Michael Lovesmith has been around forever. His first recordings were for Holland Dozier Holland label Music Merchant with family members as The Smith Connection. Their 1972 album 'Under My Wings' is very highly rated. Usual HDH super talented crew Mckinley Jackson and Paul Riser made this an album to remember.

Here's the full album.....

I also have all the Lovesmith and Michael Lovesmith albums, and candidly they were patchy to my ears. I think Michaels' strengths have been as a trusted advisor, business associate and talent manager for Berry Gordy. Others have stated that Michael has for many years been the custodian and protector of Motown's intellectual property ensuring non approved non licensed Motown material is removed from sites such as Youtube.

This is my favourite track by Michael as a solo artist on Motown....
    Break The Ice [[ not to be confused with the Lamont Dozier song of the same title)

Complete Motown album 'Diamond In The Raw'

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Written by Michael Lovesmith for Bloodstone in 1978! LOVE it... yes...

IMO the song should be called "Just Want The Feel Of It" not "Just Wanna Get The Feel Of It" as, erm, that’s never actually said in the song
    Oh my how did I not notice this one Tom thanks for the post of this track, you know I love some Bloodstone

A great composition with Michael's then songwriting partner at Invictus Ronald Dunbar on the superb Detroiter Melvin Davis...

Thanks for your input Mike! I shall have to check out those Lovesmith Connection songs, I was aware of Michael’s early work but never listened to it.

Also, thanks for that about Michael’s work protecting Motown’s intellectual property. I didn’t even know that. Again the guy seems underrated and underappreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Oh my how did I not notice this one Tom thanks for the post of this track, you know I love some Bloodstone
    ahh Paul I know you like that one. A fantastic track

Michael Lovesmith is underrated,love his music.

I worked out recently who I reckon Michael sounds like......... George Benson?!! Anyone agree?

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I worked out recently who I reckon Michael sounds like......... George Benson?!! Anyone agree?
    To my ears he is a better vocalist than George Benson. I would liken him more to Howard Hewett.

He certainly is a musical talent. I have a taped radio interview in which he talks about his song writing and studio work. He says he would finish up to 2 or 3 songs per session and mad it sound very easy.

Has anyone ever done a list of his work?

What is he doing these days?