[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    What's that as a fraction RanRan? I'm struggling to convert it.
    Google is your friend Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Exactly, who cares about all of this "xyz" years later?? But whist we're on it, Ivy Jo Hunter also sings on "Honey Bee" on the "Love Child" album as, I believe, he did the bee sounds. However, there are far more important things in life to worry about.

Ivor

Thanks for taking the time and effort to determine and then share that thorough breakdown Ran!!! most generous.

I'd say more but I'm off to solve world hunger.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-12-2017 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    i'm pretty sure on Long Gone and Breathtaking it's DMF on background and then diana recorded the lead separate.
    You might be right!

It does seem that for the majority of the specialty albums, Mary and Flo were each featured in some sort of lead. on CW&P they all take turns on Makes No Difference. And Mary does most of the lead on Sunset. but i wonder if there was another track or an alt version of a track with Flo more in the spotlight?
    If there is, it hasn't surfaced yet. Flo's vocal on the album version of "It Makes No Difference Now" captures what I believe is the voice that her peers speak so highly of, as far as being "soulful". Diana's lead on "Funny" is one of my favorites. I think she nailed it from the first note to the last, but I also think Florence would have killed it if it had been assigned to her.

I've also heard that some of these tracks might have been used on Ballads & Blues along with Come On Boy, Mr Blues, My Imagination and I Idolize You. Any guesses as to what might have been included along with these? i think the end product would have been these tracks, some of the WDOLG early tracks and some of CW&P
    I agree. I think when the original project was shelved and the Ballads and Blues concept emerged, a few of the tracks from C&W would have made it onto it.

this makes sense too. For the most part prior to 65 it's the Sups on the recordings. by 65 and on, their schedule was becoming more and more hectic. Plus Berry was starting to see Diana as something truly special. so he was beginning to think that on record, she was the key. To some degree he has a point. not a slight to M or F. But singing ooh and ahh isn't as complex. look at how we're not quite sure if Flo is on Reflections or not. or if it's M, F and andantes on Stop. the backgrounds become difficult to identify. but we'd certainly know when it's D, F or M on lead.
    This is all true. I would point out a couple of things. One, this dynamic is just the nature of a recording. The background vocals on a record- with certain exceptions- are nothing more than orchestration. The lead voice and the musical accompaniment are the two things that immediately catches the ears of listeners. Background voices and even the lyrics don't always seem to be the most important. But the background singers can be an integral part of a song. Imagine Diana's "Aint No Mountain High Enough" without the Blackberries. That's criminal. Or imagine "Come See About Me" without Flo and Mary. I actually think Flo and Mary's vocals are just as important as Diana's on "You Keep Me Hanging On". I think that's a perfect record where EVERYTHING mattered pretty equally.

As far as deciphering who's who in the back, I think the biggest problem there is the volume. Look at "My World Is Empty Without You". The original released version has Flo and Mary buried so far down in the mix that it could've been anyone singing back there, and when someone published a false story that Flo wasn't back there, it was easy for a lot of us to buy it because honestly we just couldn't hear her. Now listen to the version on Symphony expanded with the backgrounds turned up. Unmistakably Flo and Mary. To my ears there's only a few instances where I can't say with my own certainty whether a song has Mary and Flo or if they've been replaced because together the two girls had an unmistakable sound.

Quote Originally Posted by rod_rick View Post
    No Matter What Sign You Are sounds more like the BlackBerries than the Andantes or I would say the same back up singers for Someday We'll Be Together but not the Andantes.
    You're right! It's the Blackberries. I can hear it now.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    One song was missed. Misery mskes my heart its home or did i miss it i hear mary and the andantes is that correct. I was sure mary and Cindy on im gonna make u love me
    Thanks Franjoy! I think I did miss it. It's Mary and Marlene on "Misery".

I think the point of their approach to the MWIEWY backgrounds is to make it rather haunting. They just keep chanting in the background and add sort of a lonely eerie aspect. Given the tone of the song it works.

I think Hang On Sloopy is lifeless and boring backgrounds. Imagine if at the end they let Flo go like on Let Me Go Right Way. She could have ad libbed and given some excitement to the song.
    I actually think a few of the A Go Go session cuts have lifeless, boring background vocals from Flo and Mary. IMO the group was starting to slip a bit in sound when doing the usual Motown fare, yet they continued to shine when they were singing showtunes and standards. But I agree, some of those cuts like "Sloopy", which I've never liked, could have benefited from the group's personality coming through, like on "Right Way".

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post

Thanks for taking the time and effort to determine and then share that thorough breakdown Ran!!! most generous.

I'd say more but I'm off to solve world hunger.
    You're welcome Boogie! But you shame me in prioritizing world hunger over weighing in on who is singing background in the Supremes. For some reason I just can't see world hunger being more important than this.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    You're welcome Boogie! But you shame me in prioritizing world hunger over weighing in on who is singing background in the Supremes. For some reason I just can't see world hunger being more important than this.
    But maybe world peace is??

Ha!

- who is Marlene??
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-12-2017 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    - who is Marlene??
    Marlene Barrow of The Andantes I believe Boogie

Google is your friend Tom.
    Me: "Hey Google, what's 100 percent as a fraction?"

Google: "Are you some sort of idiot?"

Lots of great work here by Ranran and Brad

Thanks for it

I always thought the 45 version of Stop sounded like an Andante or Andantes but there are other versions around clearly with the supremes

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    But maybe world peace is??
    If you say so.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Me: "Hey Google, what's 100 percent as a fraction?"

Google: "Are you some sort of idiot?"
    Well? Are you???

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Lots of great work here by Ranran and Brad

Thanks for it

I always thought the 45 version of Stop sounded like an Andante or Andantes but there are other versions around clearly with the supremes
    Thanks Rob! It's been fun talking music again instead of backstage shenanigans.

Well? Are you???
    Only Google knows RanRan

Mwiewy

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Absolutely horrendous background vocals on My World is Empty a Without You. When they r isolated, u can hear the drab, tired, and lifeless background vocals. Diana carried that gem on her own. If it was M and F, it was the perfect rationale to use the Andantes.
    I like those background vocals very much. When I heard them I said "At last!" Just as it was mentioned of the collective work on "You Keep Me Hangin' On", the sobriety of M&F's backing complements D's sad solo.

Well I know this threat is old, but ranran79 did really a good job and I think he has ears of gold to hear the differnet voices in the backround.

I have a general question, why did Motown such an backround mixture with the voices by female groups ?

Never they did it with the male groups, so we have clear voices of Miracles, Gladys Knight and The Pips and The Temptations, there are only a few tracks with The Andantes, and there were an coincidence with "Just another lonly night" The Four Tops used the bandtrack of The Temptations, and we had Four Tops, Temps and The Andantes on the track

Good question!! I have heard that the definitive answer as to who all are singing background on Someday we’ll be together...the jury is still out!

Love the list Brad made...have to say, it looks VERY accurate to my ears!...when you see them all listed together and run through them in your head, you can hear the stated similarities in the line ups.

and I have to say, I became much more familiar with what the Andantes sound like from the 4 Tops records than the Supremes ones….they are sometimes too much all over those tracks. I'm sure the guys were capable enough...but the company must have wanted the sweetening the Andantes always achieved.

I always enjoy hearing the girls on-not now i'll tell you later-the temptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Absolutely horrendous background vocals on My World is Empty a Without You. When they r isolated, u can hear the drab, tired, and lifeless background vocals. Diana carried that gem on her own. If it was M and F, it was the perfect rationale to use the Andantes.
    Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    I’d guess that that’s what HDH wanted from Mary & Flo. We know how great they can be in the background. My only complaint is that they were turned down so low on the recording.
    Well, I guess that's what they got. I love the song but was disappointed when the original 45 was released. I didn't wear hearing aids back then but could have used a pair to hear M and F. Recently, we got versions with the background turned up and I like that better.

Mary and Flo look bored to death here.

I have thought the albums "join The Temptations" and "Togehter" were recorded ba all original members, I was a little shocked as I read there are a lot of times the Andantes used. I have read somewhere, both groups had fun recorded together and were in the studios for the two albums. So I think this is not true, or maybe all tracks recorded by the original Supremes and then replaced by the vocals of The Andantes ?