[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Supremes In the Background

Sadly, I have to start this thread out with a plea: This is only a music discussion. There really isn't a place for backstage stories or a conversation on which Supreme was best. This isn't a competition, it's a discussion about the music. So let's get to it.

The conversation started in another thread regarding how much background singing did the Supremes do vs the Andantes or other session singers. I took a few hours this morning in which I had time to kill and compiled my list for the Diana years. I would've uploaded this earlier but I got caught up in other stuff. Anyway, here's what I hope is considered a comprehensive list. Do you agree with it all? Which songs don't you agree with? Did I miss anything? I didn't bother with solos like "Yesterday" or "Oh Holy Night". And there are a few I couldn't make my mind up on. What say you?

Meet the Supremes- Florence sings background on every cut except "Buttered Popcorn", Mary sings background on every cut except "Baby Don't Go", Diana sings background on "Buttered Popcorn" and "Baby Don't Go, Barbara sings background on every cut except "Let Me Go the Right Way", "You Bring Back Memories", "Time Changes Things" and "Play a Sad Song".

Songs since released from those sessions include: "After All", "You Can Depend On Me", "Tears of Sorrow", "Because I Love Him", "Too Hot", "Hey Baby", "The Boy That Got Away", "Save Me a Star", "Heavenly Father", "You're Gonna Come to Me", "Those DJ Shows", "The Tears", all of which have various combinations of Flo, Diana, Mary and Barbara on background.

Where Did Our Love Go-
    "Where Did Our Love Go"...Mary is clearly there, Flo is inaudible.

"Run, Run, Run"...male voices very prominent. Chance the Andantes are in the mix. Definitely Florence and Diana on the "ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh" part in the break. Mary likely there also but I can't say for sure.

"Baby Love", "Come See About Me", "Long Gone Lover", "A Breath Taking Guy", "He Means the World to Me", "Your Kiss of Fire" and "Ask Any Girl", "I'm Giving You Your Freedom"...the Supremes.

"Lovelight"....possibly a male voice or voices in the mix. Florence very prominent.

Songs since released from these sessions include: "The Exception to the Rule", "You're Gonna Come to Me", "Everyday I'll Love You More", "Beginning to Ending", "Mr. Blues", "Come On Boy", "Bye Bye Baby", "I Idolize You", "Honey Babe", "Penny Pincher",
    "Let Me Hear You Say I Love You", "Don't Take It Away", "Just Call Me", "Such a Funny Way", "Stop, Look and Listen", all of which are pure Supremes.

"This Is It"...male vocalists join Flo and Mary.

"My Imagination"....male vocalists join Flo and Mary.

A Bit of Liverpool
    - all backgrounds are pure Supremes, including outtakes "I Saw Him Standing There" and "Not Fade Away".

Sing Country Western and Pop
    - "You Didn't Care", "Lazy Bones", "Sunset" and "Rock and Roll Banjo Band", and "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" are all Supremes. [[I suspect Diana joins Flo and Mary in the background of "Tumbling Tumbleweeds".)

"Funny How Time Slips Away"...Flo very prominent. The Andantes very present also. No Andantes on the alternate version.

"My Heart Can't Take It No More"...Flo and Mary very prominent but sounds as though additional voices are in the mix.
    "It Makes No Difference Now"...the Andantes are in the mix very noticeably, IMO. No Andantes on the alternate.
    "Tears In Vain"...Flo and Mary very prominent, as are the Andantes mixed in.
    "You Need Me"...Flo and Mary again very prominent but with the Andantes added in.
    "Baby Doll"...the Andantes, not convinced Flo and Mary are present.

We Remember Sam Cooke
    - all backgrounds Supremes.

More Hits-
    "I'm So Glad Heartaches Don't Last Always", "The Only Time I'm Happy", "I'm In Love Again", "Back In My Arms Again", "Honey Boy", "Whisper You Love Me Boy", "Who Could Ever Doubt My Love", "He Holds His Own", "Nothing But Heartaches", "Mother Dear" are all Supremes.

"Stop In the Name of Love"...controversial. Mary and Flo? Andantes only? Mary and Flo and the Andantes? Flo and one of the Andantes? I hear Flo very clearly as well as a voice that is not Mary. Flo is definitely there as is one or more Andantes. Flo is also very prominent on the alternate.

Misc songs recorded or released during the time frame of the other tracks include "It's All Your Fault", "Ooowee Baby", "Take Me Where You Go", "Baby, Baby, Wo Ist Unsere Liebe", "Jonny Und Joe", "Thank You Darlin, Thank You Baby", "Moonlight and Kisses", "Too Hurt to Cry", the Coca Cola Commercials, "Mother Dear" alternate, "Surfer Boy", and "Beach Ball", all of which are Mary and Flo on background.

"Come Into My Palace"...Flo and Mary with the Andantes.

"Too Much a Little Too Soon"...the Andantes.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-10-2017 at 06:10 PM.

Merry Christmas- I think it's all but confirmed that the Andantes are behind Diana on the original album tracks. A few outtakes of note:
    "Oh Little Town of Bethlehem"...the Andantes
    "Just a Lonely Christmas"...the Andantes
    "Silent Night"...the Andantes

I Hear a Symphony
    - "Stranger In Paradise", "I Hear a Symphony", "Unchained Melody", "My World Is Empty", "A Lover's Concerto", "Wonderful, Wonderful", "Everything Is Good About You", "He's All I Got" are Flo and Mary on background.

"Without a Song"...the Andantes
    "Any Girl In Love"...the Andantes

Included in this session are various songs recorded throughout 1964 and 1965 intended for the unreleased There's a Place for Us and Tribute to the Girls albums. "Put On a Happy Face", "The Boy From Ipanema", "Make Someone Happy", "I Am Woman", "Sleepwalk", "Somewhere", "People", "Around the World In 80 Days", "Rockabye Your Baby", "Fancy Passes 1&2", "Mr. Sandman", "All of a Sudden My Heart Sings" are Supremes.

"Our Day Will Come"...the Andantes until the end when it sounds like Mary and Diana sing "Our day will come, our day will come" until the fade. Flo might be there but I don't hear her.

"Little Miss Loser"...the Andantes.
    "Something for My Heart"...the Andantes
    "Big City Babies Don't Cry"...the Andantes
    "You're Nobody Til Somebody Loves You"...the Andantes

Supremes A Go Go
    - "Love Is Like An Itching", "This Old Heart of Mine", "Shake Me, Wake Me", "Get Ready, "I Can't Help Myself", "Money", "Hang On Sloopy" are all Flo and Mary.

"You Can't Hurry Love"...Mary is there, could be Flo, could be Marlene. I wrestle with this one.

"Come and Get These Memories"...Mary joins Flo on background. If Diana is there, I can't hear her. The Andantes are also in the mix.

Outtakes and misc cuts released in and around the A Go Go time frame or on the expanded edition include: "Heat Wave 1st version", "Mother Dear '66", "In My Lonely Room", "It's Not Unusual", "Satisfaction", "Mickey's Monkey", "Uptight", "Can I Get a Witness", "Don't Let True Love Die", "Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine", "What Now My Love", "Who Can I Turn To", "More", "Somewhere '66", "Michelle" are the Supremes.

"It's the Same Old Song 1st Version"...the Andantes

"Slow Down"...Mary and Marlene
    "Come On and See Me"...Mary and Marlene
    "Just a Little Misunderstanding"...Mary and Marlene
    "Were You There"...choir of voices
    "What Do You Choose"...choir of voices
    "He"...choir of voices
    "Tender Is the Night"...the Andantes
    "The Shadow of Your Smile"....the Andantes
    "If I Ruled the World"...the Andantes

Sing HDH
    - "You Keep Me Hanging On", "Mother You, Smother You", "I Guess I'll Always Love You", "I'll Turn to Stone", "Love Is In Our Hearts", "Remove This Doubt", "Heat Wave 2nd version" are all Flo and Mary.

"Always In My Heart"...the female backing vocals could be anybody: Flo, Mary, Andantes, Motown secretaries, along with male vocalists on the chorus.

"Love Is Here and Now You're Gone"...Flo and Mary on most of it, the Andantes on the high parts buried in the mix at the beginning and during Diana's speaking parts.
    "It's the Same Old Song version 2"...the Andantes.
    "Going Down for the Third Time"...Flo and Mary alone on one mix, Flo and Mary and the Andantes on another mix. [[Mono? Stereo?)
    "There's No Stopping Us Now"...I'm not sure. Always thought it was Flo and Mary until recently when someone claimed it was the Andantes. Now I listen to it and I think it's possible it's the Andantes but I'm not ruling out Flo and Mary.

Other misc songs include: "My Guy", "L'Amore Verrą", "Se Il Filo Spezzerai", "We Couldn't Get Along Without You", "It's Going All the Way to True Love", "All I Know About You", "The Happening version 1 and 2", all Supremes background.

Sing Rodgers and Hart
    - original album songs and outtakes appear to be all Supremes.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-10-2017 at 06:11 PM.

Reflections- "Up, Up and Away", "I Can't Make It Alone", "Love Makes Me Do Foolish Things", "Forever Came Today" all Andantes.
    "Then" and "Bah, Bah, Bah"...Mary and Cindy.
    "What the World Needs Now"...Mary and Flo.
    "Reflections"...controversial. I say Mary and Flo. In the middle of the song when Diana is singing "all the tears that I've tasted" and then the background sings whatever it is they are saying, Flo sounds quite clearly present to me.
    "In and Out of Love"...Flo, Mary and the Andantes.

Additional songs: "Heaven Must Have Sent You" and "I'm Gonna Make It" is Mary and Cindy. "Treat Me Nice John Henry" is the Andantes. "Stay In My Lonely Arms" is the Andantes for most of the song with Mary and Cindy suddenly appearing at the end.

Funny Girl
    - we know the original released album's backing vocals are done with session singers, while the original versions of the songs, now released, were recorded with Mary and Cindy.

Join the Tempts
    - "Then", "This Guy's In Love With You", "The Impossible Dream" are the only ones I'm positive Mary and Cindy sing on from the original album.

"A Place In the Sun"...the Andantes
    "Sweet Inspiration"....the Andantes
    "Try It Baby"...the Andantes
    "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"...the Andantes
    "Funky Broadway"...the Andantes
    All others from the original album I can't figure out.

Outtakes since released: "Got to Get You Into My Life", "Amen", "Opening Medley", "If You Should Walk Away", "A House Is Not a Home" are Mary and Cindy.

"Everything Is Alright"....the Andantes

Love Child- "You've Been So Wonderful to Me", "He's My Sunny Boy", "I'll Set You Free" are Mary and Cindy.
    "Honey Bee", "Can't Shake It Loose", "Chains of Love", "Keep An Eye", "Love Child", "Evening Train", "Does Your Mama Know About Me" are all Andantes.

"You Aint Livin Til You're Lovin"...I think this is Mary, Cindy and Syreeta.

"Some Things You Never Get Used To"...Ashford and Simpson

Let the Sunshine In
    - "Will This Be the Day" is the only cut with Mary and Cindy.

"I'm Living In Shame", "I'm So Glad I Got Somebody", "Everyday People", "Hey Western Union Man", "Discover Me", "No Matter What Sign You Are", "The Composer" are all Andantes.

"Aquarius/Let the Sunshine In"...misc session singers

"Let the Music Play"...Flo, Mary and the Andantes
    "What Becomes of the Brokenhearted"...Diana and Mary

Together
    - "My Girl/My Guy", "Aint Nothing Like the Real Thing", "Stubborn Kind of Fellow", "I'll Be Doggone" are Mary and Cindy.

"The Weight" and "Sing a Simple Song"...unsure.
    "Why Must We Fall In Love"...Andantes
    "For Better or Worse"...Andantes
    "Uptight"...Andantes

Cream of the Crop
    - "Hey Jude" and "The Young Folks" are Mary and Cindy.

"Can't You See It's Me", "You Gave Me Love", "Shadows of Society", "When It's to the Top", "Loving You Is Better Than Ever", "Til Johnny Comes" are the Andantes.

"Beginning of the End"...Mary, Cindy and Syreeta

"Blowin In the Wind"...Flo and Mary
    "Someday We'll Be Together"...the Waters
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-10-2017 at 06:12 PM.

Sing Disney- "Whistle While You Work", "No Strings", "Supercalifragilistic", "When You Wish Upon a Star", "Ballad of Davy Crockett", are all original Supremes. "In the Land of Make Believe" Mary and Cindy on background.

"Zip A Dee Do Dah"...Mary clearly there, but can't figure out if Flo or Cindy is with her.

"Toyland"...a choir of singers
    "It Won't Be Long Til Christmas"...the Andantes.
    "A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"...the Andantes
    "A Spoonful of Sugar"...a choir of singers but also may include Mary, Flo or Cindy, or the Andantes.
    "Heigh Ho"...a choir of singers, may include Andantes.
    "Someday My Prince Will Come"...the Andantes

Misc songs during DRATS: "Am I Asking Too Much", "A Little Breeze", "Stormy", "You're Gonna Hear From Me" are Mary and Cindy.

"The Beginning of the End of Love", "Sweet Thing", "In the Evening Of Our Love", "Are You Sure Love Is The Name of This Game", "MacArthur Park", "The Nitty Gritty" are the Andantes.

"Every Time I Feel the Spirit"...choir

"What a Friend We Have In Jesus"...choir
    "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You"...Cindy and Diana or Syreeta
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-10-2017 at 06:13 PM.

Wait...is "A Spoonful of Sugar" available to hear on regular platforms?

I agree with most of the list. Can't you see Mary and Cindy are in there with the andantes. Mary is on sing a simple song. Marlene us in reflections not Flo. Mary was pretty clear when she said she sang on the singles with the temptations

Florence said she distinctly remembered singing on Reflections and knew all the lyrics. I hear her too
    Last edited by luke; 11-10-2017 at 07:22 PM.

Ran, I'm with you, but this won't end well. Too many people take sides.

I made a list of the breakdown of who is on the background vocals. It's too massive to post here, but I'll just break it down by song count. I included songs that had different versions or different background vocals [[example: "Too Hot" was recorded 4 times and each time the vocals were different so I included them in the count. Another example would be "Forever Came Today" which I counted twice because the single version and the Japanese Quad version have different background vocals.)

I did not include the recordings with the Temptations. That's a whole mess and so are the 70's recordings with Jean. Please don't go by this as it is no way accurate and I'm sure the count is off, but it gives an rough estimate.

Diana, Mary & Barbara: 4

Diana, Flo & Barbara: 3

Mary, Flo & Barbara: 28

Mary & Flo: 181

Mary, Flo & the Andantes: 17

Mary & Cindy: 27

Mary, Cindy & the Andantes: 9

Mary & Marlene: 8

Mary & Diana: 2

Group [[Diana, Mary & Flo): 9

The Andantes: 76

Various sessions singers: 14

Great job Ran and brad! Do there include all the cuts on Sam Cooke and song Country and Western and Liverpool? Are there some songs that it’s just unknown? I may be wrong but didn’t Andy indicate there are some mysteries?
    Last edited by luke; 11-10-2017 at 09:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I made a list of the breakdown of who is on the background vocals. It's too massive to post here, but I'll just break it down by song count. I included songs that had different versions or different background vocals [[example: "Too Hot" was recorded 4 times and each time the vocals were different so I included them in the count. Another example would be "Forever Came Today" which I counted twice because the single version and the Japanese Quad version have different background vocals.)

I did not include the recordings with the Temptations. That's a whole mess and so are the 70's recordings with Jean. Please don't go by this as it is no way accurate and I'm sure the count is off, but it gives an rough estimate.

That’s very interesting because it gives an idea of the “big picture”.

Hopefully one day, we will get "official" documentation on who is singing behind the big star on each song.

My take on it is... I don't really care [[but then that's only one view). That's great work though.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Great job Ran and brad! Do there include all the cuts on Sam Cooke and song Country and Western and Liverpool? Are there some songs that it’s just unknown? I may be wrong but didn’t Andy indicate there are some mysteries?
    I included every known 60's recording ranging from their first sessions in the fall of 1960 to Diana's last Supremes sessions in the summer of 1969. I put the unknown vocalists under the Various Session Singers section like "No Matter What Sign You Are" and "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In."

It doesn’t really matter because the songs are the songs-but if you are interested in Motown and the Supremes history, this is amazing work

I think this was told before but I forget. Do you know what the last recordings were with Mary and Cindy and Diana on the same song? And by Diana alone as a Supreme?

I think this was told before but I forget. Do you know what the last recordings were with Mary and Cindy and Diana on the same song? And by Diana alone as a Supreme?
    That’s an interesting question; Brad might know

I think the last completed Supremes only recording was "You're Gonna Hear From Me." In the Lost & Found booklet, it was pointed out that was the last recording Diana, Mary & Cindy did.

To get more technical, the sessions for the Supremes & Temptations Together album went into the summer of 1969, so those could be the last Supremes sessions Diana did.

There's a point where a switch off began where Supremes assigned recordings were meant for the new grouping with Jean. I think that was sometime in summer and Diana began recording for her solo material.

I'm about 98% sure it's Mary and Cindy doing the backgrounds on Can't Take My Eyes Off You. I used to think it was Diana singing the lower harmony on that one but I have a hard time believing that Diana was brought into the studio to sing behind Mary with Cindy. Also during live performances on the song Diana sung the high harmony where as on the recording it sounds like Cindy on the high harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by floyjoy678 View Post
    I'm about 98% sure it's Mary and Cindy doing the backgrounds on Can't Take My Eyes Off You. I used to think it was Diana singing the lower harmony on that one but I have a hard time believing that Diana was brought into the studio to sing behind Mary with Cindy. Also during live performances on the song Diana sung the high harmony where as on the recording it sounds like Cindy on the high harmony.
    I have no clue but maybe Diana was in the studio all the time and just did the additional backup?

I have the Andantes with the possible addition of Syreeta doing backgrounds. I don't hear Mary, Cindy or Diana in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    I agree with most of the list. Can't you see Mary and Cindy are in there with the andantes. Mary is on sing a simple song. Marlene us in reflections not Flo. Mary was pretty clear when she said she sang on the singles with the temptations
    For me, in reflections, it sounds like Mary and marlene

do you have any thoughts on BG work for the Marvin Gaye/Mary Wells cuts, and who is where? Can I Get A Witness is a def. DMF.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    My take on it is... I don't really care [[but then that's only one view). That's great work though.
    Exactly, who cares about all of this "xyz" years later?? But whist we're on it, Ivy Jo Hunter also sings on "Honey Bee" on the "Love Child" album as, I believe, he did the bee sounds. However, there are far more important things in life to worry about.

Ivor

I would take issue on just a couple of items. To me, it sounds as though there are additional voices on "Long Gone Lover" unless it's an overdub deal. And on the Country Western & Pop album, with only a couple of exceptions, I hear more than three voices. Again, it could be Andantes or it could be overdub, but I tend to think it's the former.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Wait...is "A Spoonful of Sugar" available to hear on regular platforms?
    Not yet Sans. I'm basing it- and the other as yet released Disney cuts- on my bootleg versions.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    BG I just went back and listened to "Can't You See" and I think you're right. Also there's a male voice[[s) in there too. I disagree about "Reflections". Mary might be on the Tempts singles along with the Andantes, but to my ears they are drowning her out that I can't hear her. But I'll take Mary's word for it since she was there and I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Ran, I'm with you, but this won't end well. Too many people take sides.
    So far so good Thanxal, as far as what sparks the wars. I'm hoping my plea at the beginning softens some hearts so we can have a good music discussion without the usual bullshit. It's still early but fingers crossed.

Thanks for your input Brad. I hope you'll consider posting your count by song so we can see how you arrived at your conclusions and how they may compare to what the rest of us hear. Composing this list was a bit more work than I anticipated and all I did was break each album down along with outtakes and misc cuts. You actually counted what you hear...that's much too tedious for me. Lol And I didn't dare delve into the Jean years!

I think with anything there's always going to be some mysteries. And it's important to remember that no list, not mine nor Brad's, is gospel. We're only going by what our ears hear, and remember Gladys Knight once told us that people say to believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.

I posted my analysis of Sam Cooke, C&W and Liverpool somewhere above. It's all Supremes on Sam Cooke and Liverpool, and Supremes and Andantes on C&W.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Thanks for the compliment! I imagine there are a lot of people who don't care, but this was a discussion about the music, something we need more of around here. It was more work than I thought it would be but I actually enjoyed analyzing what my ears hear.

I included every known 60's recording ranging from their first sessions in the fall of 1960 to Diana's last Supremes sessions in the summer of 1969. I put the unknown vocalists under the Various Session Singers section like "No Matter What Sign You Are" and "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In."
    Same here, although I attributed "No Matter" to the Andantes. I know there's been talk among fans that it isn't them and even some fans think Mary is on it, but it sounds like the Andantes to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    It doesn’t really matter because the songs are the songs-but if you are interested in Motown and the Supremes history, this is amazing work
    100 percent agree. The songs are the songs no matter who is on them and if you dig a song or don't dig a song I don't think it really matters who's singing on them. But if you love history and a who's who, that's what this thread is about. Thanks Rob.

I used to think it was Diana singing the higher notes, but I'm pretty convinced it's Syreeta.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    do you have any thoughts on BG work for the Marvin Gaye/Mary Wells cuts, and who is where? Can I Get A Witness is a def. DMF.
    I believe there's a thread already in existence regarding the Supremes as background session singers. You might want to try a search for it. They did quite a bit of background work going all the way back the very beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Laserdk View Post
    Exactly, who cares about all of this "xyz" years later?? But whist we're on it, Ivy Jo Hunter also sings on "Honey Bee" on the "Love Child" album as, I believe, he did the bee sounds. However, there are far more important things in life to worry about.

Ivor
    This thread was for the people who care. And by participating in this thread none of us are suggesting that crediting singers in the background of Supremes songs is the most important thing going on in life. I'm amazed that you feel the need to inform us of that. This is a discussion about music history, please allow us the freedom to continue it. Thank you for your input regarding "Honey Bee". I didn't credit any male on the song [[even though I knew there was one there) let alone knowing that it's Ivy Jo Hunter. Thank you for that information because I had no idea that was him.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I would take issue on just a couple of items. To me, it sounds as though there are additional voices on "Long Gone Lover" unless it's an overdub deal. And on the Country Western & Pop album, with only a couple of exceptions, I hear more than three voices. Again, it could be Andantes or it could be overdub, but I tend to think it's the former.
    I just went back and listened to "Long Gone Lover" and I'm not hearing extra voices. It's possible that Diana is also singing background throughout the song, so perhaps that's why you might hear more than two voices? And yes I credited the Andantes on the country album along with the Supremes. A lot of fans are under the misconception that the country album was recorded in early 1963, but it's only true that a few songs were recorded during that time before the project was shelved. It was only after the girls had made it big with their first two number ones and "Come See About Me" was climbing the charts in late 1964 that the girls went back into the studio to finish the project. They recorded new songs and re-recorded vocals for the ones they originally did in 1963 [[except "My Heart Can't Take It No More" and a couple of others). The Andantes were brought onto the project during the 1964 sessions.
    Last edited by RanRan79; 11-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.

My final analysis is this: during Flo's tenure, 1960-1967, she and Mary were overwhelmingly the choice for backgrounds by the producers. There are a few pre-1965 moments where the Andantes are brought into the mix with the girls, and fewer moments where they replace Flo and Mary outright. After 1965 begins, the Andantes show up with a bit more frequency, and are again mixed in with or outright replace Flo and Mary until Flo leaves. It's interesting to note that just at a glance [[I haven't counted) it appears that most of those Andantes only recordings ended up on the shelf. Most of the albums released during Flo's time are overwhelmingly Flo, Diana and Mary. After Flo leaves is when the real fun begins. LOL

I did forget to mention two songs! "Standing At the Crossroads" is Flo and Mary throughout, but there's an additional voice or voices that come in at a point. Sounds like a male voice to me. And "Things Are Changing" is Flo and Mary.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    100 percent agree.
    What's that as a fraction RanRan? I'm struggling to convert it.

i'm pretty sure on Long Gone and Breathtaking it's DMF on background and then diana recorded the lead separate.

i think you're right about CW&P. most of the tracks were recorded in 63. then stuff was polished up in 64. might be the most of what was done at the later recording dates was adding in the Andantes. It does seem that for the majority of the specialty albums, Mary and Flo were each featured in some sort of lead. on CW&P they all take turns on Makes No Difference. And Mary does most of the lead on Sunset. but i wonder if there was another track or an alt version of a track with Flo more in the spotlight?

I've also heard that some of these tracks might have been used on Ballads & Blues along with Come On Boy, Mr Blues, My Imagination and I Idolize You. Any guesses as to what might have been included along with these? i think the end product would have been these tracks, some of the WDOLG early tracks and some of CW&P

Come on Boy
    I Idolize You
    Mr Blues
    My Imagination
    Breathtaking Guy
    Sunset
    Lazy Bones
    He means the world to me
    I'm giving you your freedom
    My heart can't take it no more
    Bye Baby
    Everyday I'll Love You More

maybe Long Gone Lover? Maybe This Is It? You're Gonna Come to Me?

this makes sense too. For the most part prior to 65 it's the Sups on the recordings. by 65 and on, their schedule was becoming more and more hectic. Plus Berry was starting to see Diana as something truly special. so he was beginning to think that on record, she was the key. To some degree he has a point. not a slight to M or F. But singing ooh and ahh isn't as complex. look at how we're not quite sure if Flo is on Reflections or not. or if it's M, F and andantes on Stop. the backgrounds become difficult to identify. but we'd certainly know when it's D, F or M on lead.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Same here, although I attributed "No Matter" to the Andantes. I know there's been talk among fans that it isn't them and even some fans think Mary is on it, but it sounds like the Andantes to me.
    No Matter What Sign You Are sounds more like the BlackBerries than the Andantes or I would say the same back up singers for Someday We'll Be Together but not the Andantes.

One song was missed. Misery mskes my heart its home or did i miss it i hear mary and the andantes is that correct. I was sure mary and Cindy on im gonna make u love me

Absolutely horrendous background vocals on My World is Empty a Without You. When they r isolated, u can hear the drab, tired, and lifeless background vocals. Diana carried that gem on her own. If it was M and F, it was the perfect rationale to use the Andantes.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-11-2017 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    One song was missed. Misery mskes my heart its home or did i miss it i hear mary and the andantes is that correct. I was sure mary and Cindy on im gonna make u love me
    "Misery Makes Its Home In My Heart" is Mary and Marlene.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    Absolutely horrendous background vocals on My World is Empty a Without You. When they r isolated, u can hear the drab, tired, and lifeless background vocals. Diana carried that gem on her own. If it was M and F, it was the perfect rationale to use the Andantes.
    I’d guess that that’s what HDH wanted from Mary & Flo. We know how great they can be in the background. My only complaint is that they were turned down so low on the recording.

I think the point of their approach to the MWIEWY backgrounds is to make it rather haunting. They just keep chanting in the background and add sort of a lonely eerie aspect. Given the tone of the song it works.

I think Hang On Sloopy is lifeless and boring backgrounds. Imagine if at the end they let Flo go like on Let Me Go Right Way. She could have ad libbed and given some excitement to the song.