[REMOVE ADS]

Motown Around the World and its Success

As most people know, Motown Records since its inception has had the greatest success and popularity in the USA followed by the United Kingdom.

What other countries would you think were next in success and popularity? My knowledge is basically US and to a minor degree the UK but beyond that it is non-existant.

Thank you.

At a guess, Canada, Holland and France may be next but I think there was popularity around the world including South America, Asia and Australia. More lately Japan has been a hot bed of Motown releases on CD.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    At a guess, Canada, Holland and France may be next but I think there was popularity around the world including South America, Asia and Australia. More lately Japan has been a hot bed of Motown releases on CD.
    Sorry this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know why Japan is so ahead in rereleasing albums on CD? I guess the music was popular there but I’d think it was just as popular in the US and/or UK, but Japan is the country rereleasing all the albums!

I believe the Japanese abundance is due to the fact that they are either the first issues out on the older stuff, or are reintroducing releases that are now out of print in other territories. There is also a very lucrative web export market.

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I believe the Japanese abundance is due to the fact that they are either the first issues out on the older stuff, or are reintroducing releases that are now out of print in other territories. There is also a very lucrative web export market.
    Hey gman, thanks for your response!

However, I know this is cheeky but I want to know: why is it that they are “the first issues out on the older stuff”...? Why not the US or UK?

Hi TT..Don't know that one....but now but I was told recently by another well known artists business manager that everything prior to Dec. '62 is "public domain" in the UK and most of Europe, but royalty should still be paid on copies sold in the USA and other territories where the copyright is still active....this is almost impossible to track...more on point: the foreign audiences remain very dedicated to non current artists. the USA is known for being the most fickle market. Even in the UK it isn't odd for a performer who has been inactive to chart very high with a new hits comp LP. Perhaps the heads of distribution there are satisfied with selling a limited run of older titles that they know there is a market for and don't expect the sales to be anywhere near those of the current market titles. Japanese vinyl [[and CD's) are very well known and sought for their high audio quality. Here in NYC we seemed to get a ton of UK/German pressing LPS that were also excellent pressings and much cheaper than the Japanese pressings. There was a shop south of Bleeker St. that had a lot of Japanese Motown LPS...all the Live In Japan issues were open copies and about $45...and this was in the early 80's. I remember they also had many comp Lps similar to Big 16 Hits.

Thanks for your reply gman! Interesting. It’s great that the music is being reissued, and as you say the Japanese releases are of high quality! The only problem is I can’t read the liner notes, Lol