[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    They are awfully quiet about this release. I hope there is not a delay :-[[ I wonder if this expanded release will include everything from 1967 that Flo recorded with the group minus the Reflections singles and the standards of course?

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post

Cream of the Crop - love the group shot but the mega diana head. frightening.

That's hilarious!

Sups 75 - meh. not memorable. could have been stronger. and the asian chic on the back cover subbing for miss birdsong?
    I know, right? I posted something about that lately. When I bought the album, I was about 12 I think and I didn't know about the comings and goings. I thought the lineup on the back was different because Cindy was unrecognizable!

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    I know, right? I posted something about that lately. When I bought the album, I was about 12 I think and I didn't know about the comings and goings. I thought the lineup on the back was different because Cindy was unrecognizable!
    That’s hilarious; I always wondered how it could be her

i am under the impression that the set is ready to roll , I think they are checking the print info, wonder if they will be out for Marys and Dianas b days this month. this has always been one of my favorites of theirs albums ,except Heatwave and Same Old Song which seem watered down. I don't get it. the Supremes rock out on YKMHO and then we get those two duds. those two tracks need to be beefed up. hopefully Kevin Reeves does his magic on these tracks

Who is the female on the back?

if we are talking about Supremes 1975 , it is Cindy B . I read that when she saw the pix she was shocked that they airbrushed her so much it didn't look like her.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    They are awfully quiet about this release. I hope there is not a delay :-[[ I wonder if this expanded release will include everything from 1967 that Flo recorded with the group minus the Reflections singles and the standards of course?
    aren't they always quiet on these releases...it always seem the supremes are area 51... FBI top secret.
    would be nice to get a preview

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    aren't they always quiet on these releases...it always seem the supremes are area 51... FBI top secret.
    would be nice to get a preview
    George, Andy and Kevin will deliver...they always do.

if we are talking about Supremes 1975 , it is Cindy B . I read that when she saw the pix she was shocked that they airbrushed her so much it didn't look like her.
    Cindy has those distinctive [[what I think of as) "Bette Davis eyes" and they certainly changed her look via the retouching of that photo. She completely lost her distinctive look about the eyes.

Why did they have to retouch? She’s a beautiful woman the way she is!

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Why did they have to retouch? She’s a beautiful woman the way she is!
    I guess it's one of those many Motown Mysteries, like who are the other 2 girls with Wanda and "the Marvelettes?" Hey that sounds like a good thread - Motown Mysteries.

Well they did that cause there was only 1 Marvelette in the pic! Wernt the other two the Ladies of Undisputed Truth!? Would be a good thread!

Well they did that cause there was only 1 Marvelette in the pic! Wernt the other two the Ladies of Undisputed Truth!? Would be a good thread!
    I know that was one rumour, but Smokey was quoted as saying he didn't know who the girls were, and if it were Billie and the other girl from UT [[forgot her name!) he would surely have known that, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. Just be patient a little longer.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    This is probably the likeliest scenario. I figure YKMHO appears in some form aside from the mono and stereo released versions, probably Love Is Here also. Awhile back one of the guys announced that an alternate lead to an already released cut had been discovered with a different Supreme singing lead, but there was no other information given such as which song, singer, grouping or even where the recording falls in the timeline. So that's one more possibility, if the song in question is from HDH. The other Coke commercials might also show up here.

As for Reflections, I know there's an alternate "Forever Came Today". I had it on a bootleg disk but I can't find it. It's either packed away in another state or I accidentally tossed it. And then of course this would be the perfect time to get the Funk Bros version of "In and Out of Love", which I'm assuming is the original Supremes without the Andantes. I'm hoping we can also get the released version of In and Out with the Andantes removed, if possible, just for comparisons.
    Exsists a version of "Forever came today" by the real Diana Ross and The Supremes [[studio version) ? I know only the live version in the black sparkling dresses on the Ed Sullivan Show by Diana Ross and The Supremes without the Andantes

In one of the Motown books HDH [[one of them) states they did some recording experimenting with The Supremes in case the public tired of the way they had been producing them. I always wondered where those recordings are.

In one of the Motown books HDH [[one of them) states they did some recording experimenting with The Supremes in case the public tired of the way they had been producing them. I always wondered where those recordings are.
    Never knew that, but I do believe it. They had done it with the Tops in late 1966 covering "Walk Away Renée" and "If I Were A Carpenter". The sound they had created for them was wearing a bit as proved by the trades and that was their "experiment" on the Tops. So if these tracks on The Supremes haven't surfaced it would be interesting to see what route The Madmen took just to be safe in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullfillingnessfirstfinale View Post
    Exsists a version of "Forever came today" by the real Diana Ross and The Supremes [[studio version) ? I know only the live version in the black sparkling dresses on the Ed Sullivan Show by Diana Ross and The Supremes without the Andantes
    I know the single release of Forever is a little different from the lp. additional background vocals. Also I heard that this track was finished by other producers AFTER HDH left Motown. wonder if that's true

I don't know how much experimentation would really have been done. they didn't have endless hours of leisure time to just sit around and toy with sounds. they were on a fast schedule and constantly having to crank out material. plus as the girls became more popular, they were touring constantly. seems like once they really hit their stride in 65, there was no turning back. occasionally M or F would get something on a concept lp - Sam Cooke, R&H, Merry Christmas, etc. But that's about it. Come And Get These Memories on A Go Go seems to be a bit of an anomaly.

I’d think they could dig up a few hours and get the ladies in one room! The Vandellas recorded an entire album one night after they did a concert.
    Last edited by luke; 03-05-2018 at 01:20 PM.

i am under the impression that the set is ready to roll , I think they are checking the print info, wonder if they will be out for Marys and Dianas b days this month. this has always been one of my favorites of theirs albums ,except Heatwave and Same Old Song which seem watered down. I don't get it. the Supremes rock out on YKMHO and then we get those two duds. those two tracks need to be beefed up. hopefully Kevin Reeves does his magic on these tracks
    It is a pretty solid album with the exception of those 2 songs. Really love Love Is In Our Hears which I cant wait to get the mono version and I also love Remove This Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. Just be patient a little longer.
    That's good enough for me. Thank you Bluebrock.

I guess it's one of those many Motown Mysteries, like who are the other 2 girls with Wanda and "the Marvelettes?"
    Sisters Jackie Holleman and Regina Holleman.

Quote Originally Posted by marybrewster View Post
    Sisters Jackie Holleman and Regina Holleman.
    I should clarify; these are the "Marvelettes" that toured with Wanda and Gladys in the 80's and 90's; NOT the ladies on the "Return" LP cover.

I have it on very good authority that it is coming soon. .
    What does that mean? Who told u this, or did you consult a Ouija board?
    much of what you report seems to be top-secret.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    George, Andy and Kevin will deliver...they always do.
    absolutely they do

I think this could be a good year for us fans, if all goes well

so for years ive heard that "Love Is In Our Hearts" was recorded a lot earlier than most of the songs on H-D-H...It even says so in the booklet to the expanded "Where Did Our Love Go" yet DFTMC lists it as being recorded in June of 1966.

Look at the "Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition" booklet and specifically the timeline for March-May 1964. Reference is made regarding 'Any Girl In Love [[Knows What I'm Going Through)', the original version recorded by Kim Weston, then lead vocals overdubbed by Diana Ross.
    DFTMC designates Diana's [[the Supremes') recording as "[odb on Kim Weston] and shows that there was a 6 month time lapse between the recordings.

Going to 'Love Is In Our Hearts' at DFTMC, I note the same type of overdub designation, [odb on the Supremes]. I assume that this means that the vocals recorded by the Supremes in 1964 were replaced by new ones in 1966. Perhaps the Expanded Edition will contain the 1966 released vocals and the earlier recorded unreleased version from 1964, if the 1964 vocals were not erased. One can only hope.

Just on a whim, I also looked up 'Remove This Doubt' mentioned in the 'Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition' booklet as cut for the Supremes during the same week as 'Love Is In Our Hearts'. According to DFTMC, this song was completed on January 13, 1965.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    That's good enough for me. Thank you Bluebrock.
    My pleasure. Our patience will be rewarded soon my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    What does that mean? Who told u this, or did you consult a Ouija board?
    much of what you report seems to be top-secret.
    If you must know it was George who told me. Is that good enough for you? Perhaps if George is reading this he can clarify it for you.

My pleasure. Our patience will be rewarded soon my friend.
    Thanks for the info. This will be a physical CD release, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    I was told by someone who I feel is reliable that it will be a physical CD and is targeted for an April release date...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    I was told by someone who I feel is reliable that it will be a physical CD and is targeted for an April release date...
    How exciting. I can't wait.

Got my credit card ready to go. Buying two copies.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Just on a whim, I also looked up 'Remove This Doubt' mentioned in the 'Where Did Our Love Go Expanded Edition' booklet as cut for the Supremes during the same week as 'Love Is In Our Hearts'. According to DFTMC, this song was completed on January 13, 1965.
    From Sing HDH, three tracks are over 2 to nearly 3 yrs old: You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart) was the B side to Come See About Me as Always In My Heart, Love Is In Our Hearts and Remove This Doubt were from early 1964. I noticed when I first purchased the lp that those three tracks don't have the polish of the rest of the lp. Diana was more nasal on those tracks and the piano work on Remove dated it to me.

does anyone know the timeline for the HDH work slowdown and when they really departed Motown?

Sing HDH was released in January

In late 66 and early 67 focused on their concept albums - Sing R&H [[October time period and produced by Askey) and then Broadway to Hollywood sessions [[which were produced by HDH in oct and nov)

then in Jan 67 they were working on the Disney material with producer Michael Gentile.

In spring 67 HDH did various work on Reflections, The Happening, In and out of love, All I Know about you and Forever Came Today and a few others

In October 67, HDH worked with D, M and C on Heaven Must Have Sent You and some of the Reflections lp tracks.

In December 67 they were doing some of the gospel recordings [[what a friend, every time I feel). They also worked on I'm Gonna Make It. was that still HDH? or were they gone?

Of the Reflections

does anyone know the timeline for the HDH work slowdown and when they really departed Motown?

Sing HDH was released in January

In late 66 and early 67 focused on their concept albums - Sing R&H [[October time period and produced by Askey) and then Broadway to Hollywood sessions [[which were produced by HDH in oct and nov)

then in Jan 67 they were working on the Disney material with producer Michael Gentile.

In spring 67 HDH did various work on Reflections, The Happening, In and out of love, All I Know about you and Forever Came Today and a few others

In October 67, HDH worked with D, M and C on Heaven Must Have Sent You and some of the Reflections lp tracks.

In December 67 they were doing some of the gospel recordings [[what a friend, every time I feel). They also worked on I'm Gonna Make It. was that still HDH? or were they gone?

Of the Reflections
    I'm pretty sure HDH were out before the end of the year. They did a few sessions in October for Chuck Jackson and the Isley Brothers on the track "I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love." In November they finished "Helpless" for Chuck Jackson, cut the track for "I'm In A Different World," and did some sessions with the Supremes. I believe the last recording session they oversaw were the background vocals for the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World" which was December 13, 1967. R Dean Taylor supervised Levi's lead in April 1968.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 03-06-2018 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    I'm pretty sure HDH were out before the end of the year. They did a few sessions in October for Chuck Jackson and the Isley Brothers on the track "I Can't Go On Sharing Your Love." In November they finished "Helpless" for Chuck Jackson, cut the track for "I'm In A Different World," and did some sessions with the Supremes. I believe the last recording session they oversaw were the background vocals for the Four Tops' "I'm In A Different World" which was December 13, 1967. R Dean Taylor supervised Levi's lead in April 1968.
    HDH was still at Motown in early 1968 but were on strike. They were there when Forever Came Today was issued because all spoke on how disappointed they were in song's failure. By summer they were gone

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    HDH was still at Motown in early 1968 but were on strike. They were there when Forever Came Today was issued because all spoke on how disappointed they were in song's failure. By summer they were gone
    I always thought R Dean Taylor oversaw Diana's vocal on "Forever Came Today." I know he oversaw Levi's vocal on "I'm In A Different World." Maybe he did it on behalf of them? I don't think there were any new HDH recordings in 1968. I'm pretty sure "I'm In A Different World" was the last track they cut.

I always thought R Dean Taylor oversaw Diana's vocal on "Forever Came Today." I know he oversaw Levi's vocal on "I'm In A Different World." Maybe he did it on behalf of them? I don't think there were any new HDH recordings in 1968. I'm pretty sure "I'm In A Different World" was the last track they cut.
    Is this part of the reason R Dean Taylor always felt proper credit was never given on some Motown songs?

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    so i am told djessie, and i cannot wait!

according to the Four Tops 50th anniversary singles set, it states that I'm In A Different World is the last HDH recording session. now what part of the song and what session, we don't know. was it the final vocal? was it the instrumental track? no idea

I too had heard that Forever Came Today was unfinished and that other producers completed it after HDH split. It does seem that HDH didn't make a regular habit of using the Andantes exclusively on the Supremes records. sure there are some tracks that were recorded using the Andantes and then shifted around until Diana put down a lead vocal. it doesn't seem that Forever was one of these - I'm pretty sure they intended it for the Sups. maybe they did the backing track and the lead and then another producer came in for the backgrounds? just guessing here

according to the Four Tops 50th anniversary singles set, it states that I'm In A Different World is the last HDH recording session. now what part of the song and what session, we don't know. was it the final vocal? was it the instrumental track? no idea

I too had heard that Forever Came Today was unfinished and that other producers completed it after HDH split. It does seem that HDH didn't make a regular habit of using the Andantes exclusively on the Supremes records. sure there are some tracks that were recorded using the Andantes and then shifted around until Diana put down a lead vocal. it doesn't seem that Forever was one of these - I'm pretty sure they intended it for the Sups. maybe they did the backing track and the lead and then another producer came in for the backgrounds? just guessing here
    I’m pretty positive the last recording session they supervised was the Four Tops/Andantes background vocals on “I’m In A Different World” on December 13, 1967. Everything after that I believe was overseen by R Dean Taylor thus why he is credited as producer on the song.

“Forever Came Today” was cut in spring of 1967 and assigned to the Miracles. It may have been one of those tracks Motown pulled from the vaults for them to record so they could get an HDH product out there. I don’t know if HDH supervised the background and lead vocal sessions, but I’m leaning toward they didn’t. They were done by that time.

good info Brad! I didn't realize Deke was listed as a producer for World.

Both World and Forever represent interesting "what if" scenarios. neither charted particularly well. and it seems that [[perhaps) neither were really completed by HDH. so we could speculate if these songs, in their current finished format, are really what HDH envisioned. would they have done some thing differently and potentially made them more commercial?

World seems like it should have been a hit. love that song. the intro is rather abrupt. and perhaps have Reach Out, Standing and Bernadette it's just not quite unique enough. but I think it should have done better

Forever is a fascinating song but I think not a good single choice. the melody and lyric just aren't as commercial. it doesn't do as well with my "whistle test" lol. hard to hum along and sing and the tune just doesn't stick in your mind like other Sup hits.

although this is a bit off topic of Sing HDH, the recent discussions around timing of their departure, the last recordings, etc prompted me to do some reading on Wikipedia. on the page for In and Out Of Love, in the style/genre description it identifies this song as Sunshine Pop, a category that features the 5th Dimension, Mamas and the Papas, Beach Boys and others.

to me, this finally helped make some sense of this song and what they were doing with it. made me reconsider the entire Reflections lp. obviously the sound of songs like Reflections/Forever/bah bah bah are quite different from In and Out of love/Up Up Away. But both are influenced by California pop - sunshine pop and psychedelic pop.

so while I'm still not a huge fan of In and Out, the context of the album and the tracks makes a bit more sense

I’ve always liked In and Out of Love but it is a bit odd. Happy go lucky music and sad lyrics.

I ve always liked In and Out Of love also and thought it was different. I liked the live version as well but I would one day like to hear the original version without the Andantees,...if it exits. last I heard it did not. but since they seem to find things every expanded edition,.....maybe.
    not sure who finished the Reflections lp but there were some clunkers. FCT always sounded like a demo to me

A version of In and Out of Lovewith just Mary and Flo. Worth a listen to