[REMOVE ADS]

Great documentary on funk music

One Nation Under A Groove

I only watched about 10 minutes of this this morning; I'll view the whole thing later, but one thing that struck me was the irony is that
    both Phillip Bailey and the late Maurice White have stated that
    Earth Wind and Fire was NOT [[I'm sure they meant exclusively) a
    Funk band. This something many folks still don't get to this day.
    Still, I know Verdine White and Bootsy Collins have become friends
    which is a good thing. On a related note, there is a book in print
    that supposedly analyzes Funk as a genre but the price of it I've
    seen online is a little ridiculous to me...Already read the Dave Thompson and Rickey Vincent books which can both be read free
    from the public libraries...

I've never considered E,W & F to be a funk band, though they have made some funky tunes. Their sound was a bit more polished and not as raw as most funk artists. I was surprised to not see Rick James in this documentary.

This appears to be another British produced music documentary [[and they produce some good ones!). It has always frustrated me that Americans seem to NEVER produce these types of docs or even revere our glorious musical past the way the Brits do. Strange........

Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I've never considered E,W & F to be a funk band, though they have made some funky tunes. Their sound was a bit more polished and not as raw as most funk artists. I was surprised to not see Rick James in this documentary.
    I saw all of the big, popular Funk acts in 70s. I saw EWF as well. I never did think of them as really a Funk band like say the Ohio Players, Parliament or Cameo. That may be in part due to their Jazz influences. Wasn't Maurice White a one time member of the Ramsey Lewis Trio or was it Young-Holt Unlimited?

Hi Marv, Maurice did nine albums as a part of Ramsey Lewis Trio. He replaced a guy who formed Young-Holt. Cheers. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW-UK View Post
    Hi Marv, Maurice did nine albums as a part of Ramsey Lewis Trio. He replaced a guy who formed Young-Holt. Cheers. Mike
    Thank you Mike! I know I have an old Ramsey Lewis Trio album in storage with Maurice White on it. I couldn't remember though at the moment if he was with Ramsey or Young-Holt. Thanks again.

no matter what James Brown is the originator of FUNK.

I caught the One Nation Under A Groove doc and it's very good. I only disagreed with the narrators' take on Motown as "vanilla pop" and the omission of Rick James.