[REMOVE ADS]

Just received this about Keith Wilder [[Heatwave)

Not sure if this is true, have not been able to verify. "Today found out we lost a "Gem" a true friend to me and my husband, as well in the music world " Keith Edward Wilder" of "Heatwave" our hearts and prayers to his loving wife Linda, his children and entire family! As well to the members of the group. Keith has gone home now but we all thank him for his contribution in the music world your legacy shall live on. "Always And Forever" R.I.P. My friend."

More sad news. I have many great memories of Heatwave and their music. It was 40 years ago [[October 1977) when I first heard "Always and Forever". The song became so popular that it was used as my schools homecoming theme. A month earlier is when I first heard "Boggie Nights" [[September 1977) It too was a very popular song that my schools marching band performed it during football game halftimes. Then at the end of the school term we got this:

Keith right up front and leading the the charge!

Sad to hear, especially after Johnnie's paralysis and demise. RIP.

A true classic...........

Here Keith is in concert earlier this year and "Boogie Nights"

From Ohio [[Keith and Johnnie's home State) and the Springfield News Sun:

http://www.springfieldnewssun.com/ne...spMbpFFdODrbO/

So sorry to hear about this; RIP Keith Wilder.

Man, I hate hearing this. Heatwave was my favorite band for years and I still love all of their songs. They had a hard go of it, losing Johnny Wilder, Jr. and Mario Mantese to horrible injuries soon after they became a hit. I don't know why, but I love groups that have dual singers who play off of each other, one usually smoother while the other is more gruff [["soulful"?). Going back to Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin and all the way into the '90s with K-Ci and JoJo Hailey. And that was the Wilder brothers; Johnny's voice was pure silk while Keith's had the bark of a drill sergeant demanding that we dance. This is especially hard after the news of Rod Temperton's death not too long ago. I'm grateful for having been blessed with so many great songs. My prayers are for his family and loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    Man, I hate hearing this. Heatwave was my favorite band for years and I still love all of their songs. They had a hard go of it, losing Johnny Wilder, Jr. and Mario Mantese to horrible injuries soon after they became a hit. I don't know why, but I love groups that have dual singers who play off of each other, one usually smoother while the other is more gruff [["soulful"?). Going back to Eddie Kendricks and David Ruffin and all the way into the '90s with K-Ci and JoJo Hailey. And that was the Wilder brothers; Johnny's voice was pure silk while Keith's had the bark of a drill sergeant demanding that we dance. This is especially hard after the news of Rod Temperton's death not too long ago. I'm grateful for having been blessed with so many great songs. My prayers are for his family and loved ones.

The dual leads worked well for the O'Jays with Eddie Levert and Walter Williams. As far as I know, Keith was the main individual keeping the Heatwave sound and legacy alive. This is a huge loss in my opinion.

Mine too. I think that I have Heatwave's first six albums downstairs. Besides their better known songs, I still dig tunes like "Eyeballin'", "Jitterbuggin'", and "Lettin' It Loose". One of my worst concert experiences was going to see GQ, Heatwave, and Sister Sledge sometime around 1980. I was ready to groove to everything on GQ's first two albums but they sang about four songs. Then, I was set to get down to everything from Heatwave's first three records, but they sang abbreviated versions of about six songs. I loved it all but the sets were too short. And then, Sister Sledge, who only had three hits at the time off of one record headlined the show and sang for nearly an hour. So, the two groups that I was a huge fan of barely broke a sweat and the one who [[at the time) was trendy and inexperienced carried the night.

I'll never forget going to another concert in Columbus and seeing Johnny Wilder, Jr. in his wheelchair. I doubt that he was feeling sorry for himself, but it sure made me sad to think that he should have been on the stage singing. Man, the world cheats us out of so many great things and his tragedy is a another great example of it.

And in regard to my Heatwave fandom, I'll go to my grave [[hopefully several decades into the future...) with Rod Temperton being my favorite composer. He was the magic behind Heatwave before going on to work with Q on dozens of other projects. If someone ever memorializes their story in the form of a book or movie, it will be filled with great highs and deep lows throughout.