[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson Amazon Album - Christmas Everyday

Amazon is releasing Smokey's new digital only album - Christmas Everyday on Nov 10, 2017.

Hi Rjacks, do you know if this is new material or just a digital reisssue? “Christmas Everyday” I believe is a Miracles cut from the early 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hi Rjacks, do you know if this is new material or just a digital reisssue? “Christmas Everyday” I believe is a Miracles cut from the early 1960s.
    Yes Tom,it is a brand new Christmas album.It will be released on CD on November 4 according to the website.Just pre ordered mine.Can't wait.

Regarding the Christmas Everyday. This was included in the Christmas with the Miracles Tamla LP release #236 released 11/1963. Maybe this is a solo release.

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Regarding the Christmas Everyday. This was included in the Christmas with the Miracles Tamla LP release #236 released 11/1963. Maybe this is a solo release.
    Yes,it is a solo release done exclusively with Amazon.The samples are also functional so you can listen and decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Yes Tom,it is a brand new Christmas album.It will be released on CD on November 4 according to the website.Just pre ordered mine.Can't wait.
    Oh, wow, nice, thanks Quinn. I’ll check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by woodward View Post
    Yes,it is a solo release done exclusively with Amazon.The samples are also functional so you can listen and decide.
    So this new album features a solo re-recording of “Christmas Everyday”...?

So this new album features a solo re-recording of “Christmas Everyday”...?
    Yes Tom,it does.The guest artist is named Us The Duo.There are what sound like a couple of new songs as well.You[[We)are in luck my friend,this album exemplifies how he would interpret that classic song today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjacks View Post
    Amazon is releasing Smokey's new digital only album - Christmas Everyday on Nov 10, 2017.

I love Smokey, but that is a cheesy CD cover! LOL!!!!

Yes Tom,it does.The guest artist is named Us The Duo.There are what sound like a couple of new songs as well.You[[We)are in luck my friend,this album exemplifies how he would interpret that classic song today.
    Ooh, sounds good Quinn!

I found the album on Amazon... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B076D...w_dp_sp_bb_sfa

I love the jazzy version of "Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town" but I’m a sucka for that song

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I love Smokey, but that is a cheesy CD cover! LOL!!!!
    Lol, I actually quite like it Marv... very... Christmassy... hee

How on Earth does he still sound like he did in 1962? I listened to several samples and I thought Ed Sullivan was going to pop on my teevee.

Yeah, Smokey's still got it -- in voice AND looks!

it’s okay vocally. Musically it is flat and dull.

Shit, Smokey still has "IT". This was just last month:

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    it’s okay vocally. Musically it is flat and dull.
    I thought he sounded great but I agree the music was as you described.

I'll just continue to enjoy his Motown Miracles' Christmas albums.

It's here folks,i'll be getting mine through the post tomorrow.I'll be posting my review once I hear the album in it's entirety.

Don't know about this new album, but the song Christmas Everyday is one of my favorites at Christmas and it's a song that really sticks with you.

Am listening to the cd right now and I have to say I'm quite impressed and pleased with it.

His voice is still the same. And each track but one has a different feel compared to the other versions we all know.

The one that is very similar to what we know is the title track "Christmas Everyday", for the better effect... at times it's as if Claudette was there.

This is not Smokey effortlessly covering Christmas tunes, he does it with a lot o'soul!

The new tracks are very good too!
    "The Night That Baby Was Born" has a couple drum fills or chords progressions that sound very mid-60s Motown

"Youre [sic] my Present"
    Well, this is an answer record. Not very common these days.
    The original record in question? "Tracks of my Tears". Of course, we can spot "being with you" in the lyrics. Easy? Of course...
    Funny and Touching? Definitely!

"Please Come Home For Christmas" may be from 1963, this version takes us back to 1962-63 Motown indeed!

"O Holy Night" - while backed by the fabulous Take 6 - is the only track that misses the point to me. I like the 1963 version better. Maybe there are too many great voices together. It's good but I would have liked a solo Smokey a cappella. In fact, Take 6 ruin it...

As it happens this is without any doubt a cd I'll put off the shelf at least once a year, which is something I'm not doing with every Christmas Motown cd I have.

Great cd!

Just listened to the samples and Smokey still sounds so good. I am definitely buying this cd.