[REMOVE ADS]

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    Cindy's situation and where she is at is private.. Ross did good.
    This. And then some.

Not gonna lie I lol'ed when she said Mary could be in the audience. Obviously she got wind of Mary's recent comments about attending her show.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Here it is. Judge for yourselves. Exact question at 2:35. She called Florence Ballard "the Original Supreme", doesn't know where Cindy is and "I never stay in touch with Mary Wilson".
    https://youtu.be/blqKtk_nrUE
    Sounds to me like that was the most pointed way of saying "I don't fuck with Mary Wilson" and remaining a class act. Lol Oh well.

It is confusing to read comments saying Diana is aware of Cindy's situation and contributing financially and then hear Diana say that she's tried looking for Cindy but can't find her. Somebody is lying.

You’re not kidding. I find this all a bit coincidental and Diana saying Mary could be In The audience after Mary not attending any of her shows for almost thirty years and then saying she might go to her Vegas show. And Scherrie said she called her about Susaye joining Flos. Scherrie visits Cindy!

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Sounds to me like that was the most pointed way of saying "I don't fuck with Mary Wilson" and remaining a class act. Lol Oh well.

It is confusing to read comments saying Diana is aware of Cindy's situation and contributing financially and then hear Diana say that she's tried looking for Cindy but can't find her. Somebody is lying.
    Or maybe Diana Ross is respecting Cindys privacy and taking the high road.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Here it is. Judge for yourselves. Exact question at 2:35. She called Florence Ballard "the Original Supreme", doesn't know where Cindy is and "I never stay in touch with Mary Wilson".
    https://youtu.be/blqKtk_nrUE
    Damn, who had the guts to ask Diana that question?!! Lol... interesting to hear her response though...

Thanks for posting thanxal

Diana knows where is Cindy. I know I’m not the only person on here who knows she’s informed on Cindy’s condition. Maybe Diana wanted to play it off and respect Cindy’s privacy. She could have simply said “I’ve heard Cindy respects her privacy.” To say she can’t find her sends the wrong message.

As for Mary, I’m sure Diana heard of Mary saying she would possibly attend one of her shows, but I don’t read into her saying she could be in the audience or that she doesn’t talk to her as anything disrespectful. These women are in their 70’s. Do people still think these ladies are still trying to stick it to the other? They’re on their own paths in life and I’m sure wish the other the best and send love. I’ve had a few friends that I had problems with the past and even though we don’t talk anymore and I still have love for them and hope they’re happy and doing well.
    Last edited by bradsupremes; 10-29-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Diana knows where is Cindy. I know I’m not the only person on here who knows she’s informed on Cindy’s condition. Maybe Diana wanted to play it off and respect Cindy’s privacy. She could have simply said “I’ve heard Cindy respects her privacy.” To say she can’t find her sends the wrong message.

As for Mary, I’m sure Diana heard of Mary saying she would possibly attend one of her shows, but I don’t read into her saying she could be in the audience or that she doesn’t talk to her as anything disrespectful. These women are in their 70’s. Do people still think these ladies are still trying to stick it to the other? They’re on their own paths in life and I’m sure wish the other the best and send love. I’ve had a few friends that I had problems with the past and even though we don’t talk anymore and I still have love for them and hope they’re happy and doing well.
    The voice of reason dear. Thank you.

Roberta������

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post

I basically agree with you, Brad, and your statements are well informed. True, the issues between Diana and Mary are old and tired and barely need discussion.

However, I am very sad that with all of her kudos and well deserved success, Diana took a public occasion in this show to marginalize Cindy. With her resources, she could certainly “find” Cindy! That remark was insincere — and as a true Diana fan, I cannot come up with any a logical reason that she should have said this. Too bad.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 10-29-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Not buying it. Diana is an intelligent woman. She knows how to answer a question without invading someone's privacy and lying. If she knows all about Cindy's health issues [[as so many fans do, even if we don't know the particulars) then saying she doesn't know where the woman is, is a flat out lie. And an unnecessary one at that. There's no high road to take about Cindy.

Fan: Do you keep in touch with the other Supremes? [[Paraphrased)

Diana: Well, Florence has passed on. I don't fu-, um I mean I don't keep in touch with Mary Wilson. And Cindy and I communicate.

She really would have needed to say no more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    However, I am very sad that with all of her kudos and well deserved success, Diana took a public occasion in this show to marginalize Cindy. With her resources, she could certainly “find” Cindy! That remark was insincere — and as a true Diana fan, I cannot come up with any a logical reason that she should have said this. Too bad.
    Insincere. That's exactly how it comes across to me, whether she knows where Cindy is or not. But I do hope behind the scenes Diana is staying true to form and helping Cindy out where and how she can. Diana is good for that kind of thing. Very free hearted in that way.

On another positive observation: Diana seems to be reverting back to her Supremes days with her performances. She's doing the over the top facial expressions, bugging out her eyes and hunching up her shoulders. Its so cute. It's the Diana that I love. I even saw a clip of her performing Come See About Me and she was doing some of the original choreography that they used to do for the song. She seems like she's really having fun with the Supremes songs nowadays.

Note that Diana actually said that she has been looking for her [[Cindy) and has not found her. As a true Diana fan, “strange” is the nicest word that I can think of. Sad, actually.... unnecessary, too.

And if Mary was in the audience she wouldn’t know it and therefore wouldn’t acknowledge her. ?! Diana is a piece of work

OMG! let it go, people! this was a Ross concert, not a Supremes show and she remained civil..what happened, happened, and while I'm a fan of all the ladies, if someone wrote a book like that about me, and then publicly pulled the rug out of a national tour they'd been invited on, well, forget about it...after the book, I'd never give then a second chance, and certainly not a third... and neither would any of you..move on!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi LaLumia View Post
    OMG! let it go, people! this was a Ross concert, not a Supremes show and she remained civil..what happened, happened, and while I'm a fan of all the ladies, if someone wrote a book like that about me, and then publicly pulled the rug out of a national tour they'd been invited on, well, forget about it...after the book, I'd never give then a second chance, and certainly not a third... and neither would any of you..move on!
    No molehills shall ever be passed over without making them into mountains here in the Motown Forum, esp. when it comes to Mary and Diana.

To you, sir, I bow down.

So true - The fans seem to think they know more about what is going on with these women than these women.

I listened to the Q&A and agree with those who think that Diana was just respecting Cindy's privacy. Sure, she could have worded her response better but that is the risk one takes when doing an impromptu Q&A. You never know what question is going to be thrown at you and there is often little or no time to choose your words.

Diana's response regarding Cindy was disingenuous at best, a flat out lie at worst. And that's disappointing. Her statement about Mary I'll take at face value and the final word on their relationship. Anything that happens [[positive) in the future between these two will officially take me by surprise. I'm officially over it, as Diana appears to be also. In the words of Mary, time to move on.

Btw, for the record I'll talk about whatever the fuck I wanna talk about in here unless told to refrain by Ralph. Just thought I'd put that out there in case there's any misconceptions regarding any thoughts about allowed or disallowed topics in the forum. You may return to your regularly scheduled program.

So it's now final? No Mary, No Mary in Audience, No Response from Diana. All a continuation of "it's been 30 years and we've hardly seen each other".

Actually, two lawyers worked with me in the past and I haven't seen one for 33 years and the other one for 29 years.

So, it's pretty common I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    So it's now final? No Mary, No Mary in Audience, No Response from Diana. All a continuation of "it's been 30 years and we've hardly seen each other".

Actually, two lawyers worked with me in the past and I haven't seen one for 33 years and the other one for 29 years.

So, it's pretty common I expect.
    It really is. Even with personal friendships it's common. My best friend from childhood and I had a falling out around age 24. He tried to reconnect a few years after but I had no interest as our lives had moved in different directions in that short amount of time. It's been years since we've talked or seen each other but I still look back fondly on the many good memories and laughs we shared as friends.

Much ado about nothing, courtesy of Miss Wilson.

I think its a good thing mary wants t see her show and perhaps say hello and forget bygones nothing mentioned about a reunion. Afterall they made history together and even if diana has moved on is it a sin f mary to want t make things right aftet all these years

Quote Originally Posted by franjoy56 View Post
    I think its a good thing mary wants t see her show and perhaps say hello and forget bygones nothing mentioned about a reunion. Afterall they made history together and even if diana has moved on is it a sin f mary to want t make things right aftet all these years
    Not a sin, but it appears that Ross is making it clear that she aint the least bit interested in rekindling a relationship with Mary, so Mary would be better served to leave Diana in the past and move on for good. I'm sure Mary had the best of intentions. And if Diana thinks it best to leave Mary in her past, I get it. I've left more than a few folks in my yesteryear. The great thing is that for us fans we have all that great music the two women created together and all of the terrific performance footage of them over the years as the Supremes.

I think it's great Diana Ross is doing Q and A and it seems here the questions are genuine. It takes courage to field questions like that , a very generous thing to do towards her fans who'll treasure the opportunity to interact. Maybe Diana doesn't realize that casual comments these days will likely get recorded and find their way outside the room to be more closely scrutinized . She might want to work on making her answers more thoughtful . But, I don't want her answers to be fake and totally rehearsed either . If having been a Supreme at one point in her life totally bores her , so be it.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-31-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Originally Posted by RanRan79
    Btw, for the record I'll talk about whatever the fuck I wanna talk about in here unless told to refrain by Ralph. .
    OK then let's do it !!! I'd like to back this thread up a bit if you please :

RanRan 79:

Back to the serious portion of the discussion. Both Flo and Diana have confirmed that in 1975 Flo called Diana and the two of them had a nice conversation for about an hour. Flo has said she had the need to speak to Diana. Diana has said the call surprised her. It was also during this call that Diana confirms that Flo indeed was interested in getting back to singing, contrary to what some folks around here like to say, that Flo didn't desire to be a singer anymore.

Thanks for that info Ran! When Flo says she "had the need" to speak to Diana , I wonder what her need was in talking with her ?? As far as the part of the conversation where Flo expresses a renewed interest in singing , when Diana likely asked, "So whatcha' got going on Flo ?", I wouldn't expect her to say anything other than her wanting to get back into singing. What else? I'm not getting the impression though that the call was specifically about Flo wanting to discuss with Diana her singing future , or that she was seeking Diana's help in this area. ???
    RanRan 79:
    Like I said in my other post, Flo seemed to be maturing. And while a lot of people around here like to oversimplify the relationships of the Supremes [[comparing them to people who work "regular" jobs), the truth is they were just like us: with complicated relationships. Florence has gone on record very clearly about her love for Mary and Diana, no matter what went down. It doesn't surprise me that after some years apart, and some growing up, that one would reach out to the other. I've done it. I've had it done to me. Nothing saintly about it.

So I'm not referring to the phone call as being anything saintly. I too have made such types of calls , and I definitely ain't no Saint! Flo gets that designation because of the idea that's being suggested that Flo had the Supreme Power: that all Flo needed to do was wave her backup singer arms a certain way and both Diana and Mary would obediently fall into line --- and above that, if Flo had lived to command it, the Supremes would've eventually gotten something going again . Sainthood stuff for sure !

But, can we really be so assertive that by re-adding Flo to the mix it would've made it smooth sailing between the three , isn't it just as possible it would just make matters ten times worse?

So, was the call to Diana due to some sort of new found maturity on Flo's part ? We don't even fully know Flo's intentions, or what state Flo was in that day when she suddenly made the call, not suggesting anything here, just saying no one knows. And you could say Diana's having not called Flo showed maturity on Diana's part, she likely realized with her career in full swing and in a stable place , the risks from opening that old can of worms made reaching out not worth it.

What is wonderful is that these two did talk , about whatever , and without an awareness of the heavy cloud hovering over them concerning the tragedy waiting just up the road.

and that Ross has always been there for Ballard's kids, financially and elsewise, which the kids apparently are glad to acknowledge in public, and maybe that was part of the conversation, that if anything were to ever happen to Ballard..no one will ever truly know except Ross and she ain't tellin.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Thanks for that info Ran! When Flo says she "had the need" to speak to Diana , I wonder what her need was in talking with her ?? As far as the part of the conversation where Flo expresses a renewed interest in singing , when Diana likely asked, "So whatcha' got going on Flo ?", I wouldn't expect her to say anything other than her wanting to get back into singing. What else? I'm not getting the impression though that the call was specifically about Flo wanting to discuss with Diana her singing future , or that she was seeking Diana's help in this area. ???
    According to Florence, they spent most of the time talking about motherhood, so I don't think her stepping back into a musical career was the reason for the call. Interesting note: a researcher named Rick B [[can't remember how to spell his last name) MANY years ago, he said that Diana actually offered Flo the use of her home when and if she decided to come to LA to jump start her career. If this is true, I think it also says a lot about Diana's feelings for Flo, again, after everything that had gone down between them. Keep in mind that Diana is also said to have attempted to save Florence's home before she lost it, and of course we know that for many years Diana kept in touch with and did things for Flo's children. So there was definitely something more between these two women than the normal "we use to work together" feelings. For all the talk about former colleagues, how many of you all have done these things for someone you once worked with?

Btw, Flo has never struck me as the kind of person who answers a question like "whatcha got going on" with anything other than the truth. If she wasn't interested in singing I don't think she would've mentioned her plans.

So I'm not referring to the phone call as being anything saintly. I too have made such types of calls , and I definitely ain't no Saint! Flo gets that designation because of the idea that's being suggested that Flo had the Supreme Power: that all Flo needed to do was wave her backup singer arms a certain way and both Diana and Mary would obediently fall into line --- and above that, if Flo had lived to command it, the Supremes would've eventually gotten something going again . Sainthood stuff for sure !
    Lol Oversimplification of a fix, for sure. However, again I must stress that I use real life experience when I'm dissecting the Supremes story, because they are, ya know, real people. [[I think that is forgotten sometimes, believe it or not.) And there are people that I know personally who have personalities or mindsets that give them a commanding presence. They have the ability to operate within a relationship that keeps everyone in line. Flo is said to have had a mothering type of presence at times, and that was when she was in her 20s and hadn't even had children yet. I can only imagine how much more of that instinct she received after becoming a real mother. I think she had it in her to potentially keep her singing partners' egos in check had she lived and grown more.

Remember, at this point in her life [[75/76) Flo was already maturely taking responsibility for her role in the end of the original Supremes. That is something I still haven't heard Diana do in her 70s. Mary willingly states the part that she played but IMO still doesn't accept the fact that what she did was some bullshit. Just a bunch of excuses. [[I do understand her excuses though and I'm certainly not holding it against her.) As I said before, Flo seemed to be maturing in a way that her singing partners hadn't yet done, and I think had she continued to live, her presence would have had a positive effect on the original Supremes going forward.

But, can we really be so assertive that by re-adding Flo to the mix it would've made it smooth sailing between the three , isn't it just as possible it would just make matters ten times worse?
    Very possible. There's a chance that if the three women didn't have a sit down to talk about [[as Diana once put it) "the heart", all the old issues would've crept back up. Personally I believe that was the problem with Motown 25. Mary had issues that had never been dealt with and as a result, she was paranoid about being just another one of Diana's backup singers at their reunion and she acted unprofessionally during the taping, which resulted in Diana also acting unprofessionally. [[Not that I'm blaming Mary for Diana's behavior. Diana was grown enough to know how to deal with that without acting like a child.) And we know how things just went downhill from there. Who knows, maybe if Flo had been there, a couple of bitches might have ended up on the floor. How's that for a headline the next day? Lol But somehow I don't think that would have been the case.

So, was the call to Diana due to some sort of new found maturity on Flo's part ? We don't even fully know Flo's intentions, or what state Flo was in that day when she suddenly made the call, not suggesting anything here, just saying no one knows. And you could say Diana's having not called Flo showed maturity on Diana's part, she likely realized with her career in full swing and in a stable place , the risks from opening that old can of worms made reaching out not worth it.
    Diana mature in 1975? Who you kiddin?? LOL But in truth, no one here can say with certainty what was going on in any of the women's minds, unless we consulted them. And in Flo's case that's impossible. I just use my brain to deduce the probability based on the information I do have, the same way people who write about Abe Lincoln or Martin Luther King arrive at potential scenarios based on research. I stand behind my original comments: Flo very likely would have kept the ship righted had she lived. And there would have been no Dreamgirl book to really nail the coffin shut. [[I've always felt that if Flo lived Mary wouldn't have had the balls to write the book. The book sold on the strength of Diana dirt and Flo's tragic story.)

What is wonderful is that these two did talk , about whatever , and without an awareness of the heavy cloud hovering over them concerning the tragedy waiting just up the road.
    That's the beautiful thing. I'm glad they had that moment.

Diana could have told the whole story in her autobiography, but she choose to write a fluff piece with little or no substance. She will never again have the opportunity to tell her story for “the first time.” If there is ever a part 2 to her autobiography, the record might be set straight about many things.

Not sure I am all that interested now because years and decades slowly change one’s interests and loves.

this is show biz...we can all assume from the public going ons but who really knows what goes on privately between well known public figures? I loved Cindy...vocal power wise, she may have been the weakest but she was and still is my all time favorite Supreme in the soprano role. Man, did she look good! there was always something endearing in her presence...and I always wanted to ask her why she never changed her wig during TCB??? and BTW..exactly how many blonde wigs did Mary have?

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    this is show biz...we can all assume from the public going ons but who really knows what goes on privately between well known public figures? I loved Cindy...vocal power wise, she may have been the weakest but she was and still is my all time favorite Supreme in the soprano role. Man, did she look good! there was always something endearing in her presence...and I always wanted to ask her why she never changed her wig during TCB??? and BTW..exactly how many blonde wigs did Mary have?
    I loved Cindy as well; she brought the group into a 'lady-like' stature after the greatly appealing sassy teen- then young-lady phases. Don't know about the wigs - maybe newish to the group she just didn't have the deep catalog of changes Diana and Mary had.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    I loved Cindy as well; she brought the group into a 'lady-like' stature after the greatly appealing sassy teen- then young-lady phases. Don't know about the wigs - maybe newish to the group she just didn't have the deep catalog of changes Diana and Mary had.
    That's a very good way to word it. I always thought it was amazing how much different the group seemed just by Cindy coming into the group. If you watch the girls on Sullivan from May of '67 with Flo and then the Hollywood palace just a few months later in September with Cindy, it's amazing how much more mature the group came off in that short amount of time. I do love Cindy and thought she had an amazing personality but the magic that made the Supremes for me was gone when Flo left.

Secrets of a Sparrow is definitely fluffy and does not "set the record straight," yet does contain interesting and revealing parts. In her essay on Diana Ross, published in her book On Racial Icons: Blackness and the Public Imagination [[which features a picture of Ross on the cover) by Nicole R. Fleetwood and published by Rutgers University Press, Fleetwood quotes from the memoirs and subsequently writes: "While the memoir is not meant to be challenging reading or sober in tone, Ross pointedly addresses the continued struggle agains racial oppression [[using the powerful term bondage to signal injustice)." See below for part of the Ross quote and the interpretation by Fleetwood. The essay "Giving Face: Diana Ross and the Black Celebrity as Icon" [[as well as the entire book) is a great read if you can appreciate academic jargon.
    Name:  Quote Ross Fleetwood.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  21.4 KB

I expect Secrets of a Sparrow will be her last book with any discussion of anything in any way personal regarding The Supremes.

What is the point of anything else now?

She has collected most of the major awards she could possibly collect. She made a fortune. She hasn't had much to do with any Supremes for many years although she may have a friendship with many of them.

Most of the public doesn't really care anymore what their relationship was or is.

What matters to Diana Ross is her family and extended family although she's obviously thrilled to be getting more awards at 73.

That’s not an “or.” High road or not, a lie is a lie.

I remember pre-ordering an autobiography by Diana Ross around 2002 called "Upside Down [[........)" Can't remember the full title of the book. It stayed on pre-order for quite a long time, and then was cancelled.

If it was going to be Diana's tell-all book, she must have had second thoughts about releasing the book, and decided to go high when others went low. It was also at a low point of her life, and being negative usually only brings you lower.

Since then, she has had a wonderful career with her tours, has gotten more prestigious awards, her family has grown and she seems very happy living in the present.

Good. It seems that all the former Supremes who still want to work are doing okay. So, let it be. Let's just enjoy them while they are still out there entertaining us.

By the way, did anyone else pre-order this book , or remember when it was being talked about? I have not heard a reference to it in years.

Makes me wonder if I am already senile and just imagining it in my mind

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    I remember pre-ordering an autobiography by Diana Ross around 2002 called "Upside Down [[........)" Can't remember the full title of the book. It stayed on pre-order for quite a long time, and then was cancelled.

If it was going to be Diana's tell-all book, she must have had second thoughts about releasing the book, and decided to go high when others went low. It was also at a low point of her life, and being negative usually only brings you lower.

Since then, she has had a wonderful career with her tours, has gotten more prestigious awards, her family has grown and she seems very happy living in the present.

Good. It seems that all the former Supremes who still want to work are doing okay. So, let it be. Let's just enjoy them while they are still out there entertaining us.

By the way, did anyone else pre-order this book , or remember when it was being talked about? I have not heard a reference to it in years.

Makes me wonder if I am already senile and just imagining it in my mind
    It was called "Upside Down: Wrong Turns, Right Turns, and the Road Ahead" or something like that.

I didn't pre-order it, but I definitely remember hearing about it. There was even an excerpt on line at one point. There was also supposed to be a revealing interview on the Fox channel.

The "Upside Down" book was announced in 2003, after the DUI. Billboard reported:
    <<Veteran singer Diana Ross is writing a memoir that will offer "a tough look at the recent heartaches in her life," including her drunken driving arrest, the breakup of her marriage, and her disastrous Supremes reunion tour. "Upside Down: Wrong Turns, Right Turns and the Road Ahead" is scheduled for release this spring from ReganBooks, an imprint of HarperCollins Publishers. "What readers will discover in this moving memoir is that no one is immune from the pain of loneliness, abandonment, divorce, and all of the losses and challenges we each face in our lives," ReganBooks publisher Judith Regan said in a statement. Financial terms were not disclosed. In addition, Ross has also agreed to a one-hour interview, scheduled to air in May on the Fox Television Network. Ross was arrested Dec. 30 in Tucson, Ariz., for investigation of driving under the influence and extreme DUI, a charge that can carry greater penalties than a regular DUI. A breath test showed the pop diva had a blood-alcohol reading of 0.20, more than twice Arizona's legal limit of 0.08.>>

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...rtaches-memoir

One website even published an excerpt [[don't know whether the excerpt was real or not):
    <<I really tried to be strong about the divorce. I took the boys to visit Arne and his new love and their baby, and I even planned a divorce ceremony so that the kids would know that our relationship had ended on a good note. I spoke at the ceremony about the good things that had come into my life since I met Arne, and about how much I loved him and the children. Later on, I realized that I was really denying myself the time to grieve over losing his love. I denied the hurt and tried to rise above it. But one day, I realized I still needed to heal. I wanted to be left alone. Many people encouraged me to go back to work, but my heart said, "Stay in bed." >>
    http://www.powells.com/book/upside-down-9780060571818

Not sure if it would have been an interesting book; but good for her not to go through with it.

Quote Originally Posted by imakicola View Post
    That’s not an “or.” High road or not, a lie is a lie.
    In your opinion. I still think Diane may have been caught of guard or was protecting Cindy cause if she had said Cindys real ill it would have prompted more questions so Im not judging her on this.

In your opinion. I still think Diane may have been caught of guard or was protecting Cindy cause if she had said Cindys real ill it would have prompted more questions so Im not judging her on this.
    As you know from your meeting with Ross, Ms. Roberta, she is a guarded and gracious lady who does not profit from pouring 't' about anyone for the yowling masses, and even less about any Supreme or fellow Motowner. I hope you are well in these stressful times.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    As you know from your meeting with Ross, Ms. Roberta, she is a guarded and gracious lady who does not profit from pouring 't' about anyone for the yowling masses, and even less about any Supreme or fellow Motowner. I hope you are well in these stressful times.
    Diana is the most private celebrity i have ever met. She hates questions about her private life and hates being caught off guard, and she would never willingly discuss Cindy or Flo in public. Unlike certain others i could mention here. Her behind the scenes charity work is kept firmly behind closed doors and are handled with the utmost discretion, and that is how it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    Diana is the most private celebrity i have ever met. She hates questions about her private life and hates being caught off guard, and she would never willingly discuss Cindy or Flo in public. Unlike certain others i could mention here. Her behind the scenes charity work is kept firmly behind closed doors and are handled with the utmost discretion, and that is how it should be.
    Absolutely, though of course it's a personal, individual's choice. I'm sure that's why Diana chose to cancel the book 'Upside Down' [[still having young children at the time). I think of the decades of TV interviews wherein Ross chose never to reveal sex positions [[hi, Oprah ...), romances, charity causes, etc. I think Diana's basically introverted desire for privacy sometimes gets interpreted as coldness and/or rudeness when really [[like Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis and some other admirable celebs) there are times when she just wants to go about her own life.
    Last edited by PeaceNHarmony; 11-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    It was called "Upside Down: Wrong Turns, Right Turns, and the Road Ahead" or something like that.

I didn't pre-order it, but I definitely remember hearing about it. There was even an excerpt on line at one point. There was also supposed to be a revealing interview on the Fox channel.

My memory is that Diana was given a hefty advance with the understanding she would tell the whole story, nitty gritty and all. When she submitted the text to the publishers, it was another fluff piece and they rejected it, and she gave back the advance payment.

Has it ever been explained why the first fluff piece was never released in paperback? Very very very unusual in publishing.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 11-02-2017 at 12:31 PM.

Nice reply Ran! Some thoughts:

According to Florence, they spent most of the time talking about motherhood, so I don't think her stepping back into a musical career was the reason for the call. Interesting note: a researcher named Rick B [[can't remember how to spell his last name) MANY years ago, he said that Diana actually offered Flo the use of her home when and if she decided to come to LA to jump start her career. [[but no offer to do a jump starter appearance on her next project or to call Berry Gordy?) this is true, I think it also says a lot about Diana's feelings for Flo, again, after everything that had gone down between them. Keep in mind that Diana is also said to have attempted to save Florence's home before she lost it, and of course we know that for many years Diana kept in touch with and did things for Flo's children. So there was definitely something more between these two women than the normal "we use to work together" feelings. For all the talk about former colleagues, how many of you all have done these things for someone you once worked with? [[but then how many of us make Diana's kind of money and have her kind of resources ?)

Btw, Flo has never struck me as the kind of person who answers a question like "whatcha got going on" with anything other than the truth. If she wasn't interested in singing I don't think she would've mentioned her plans. [[saying you're "interested" could mean many degrees of seriousness , saying you're seriously interested and then doing something about it is an entirely different thing.)

Lol Oversimplification of a fix, for sure. However, again I must stress that I use real life experience when I'm dissecting the Supremes story, because they are, ya know, real people. [[I think that is forgotten sometimes, believe it or not.) And there are people that I know personally who have personalities or mindsets that give them a commanding presence. [[Is that how Flo commanded herself to so many leads on Supremes songs?? )They have the ability to operate within a relationship that keeps everyone in line [[including wife- beating husbands? ). Flo is said to have had a mothering type of presence at times, and that was when she was in her 20s and hadn't even had children yet. I can only imagine how much more of that instinct she received after becoming a real mother. [[I'm having a hard time imagining either Diana or Mary seeking her profound motherliness!) I think she had it in her to potentially keep her singing partners' egos in check had she lived and grown more. [[I don't see how, Diana was already far beyond being another Supreme , completely independent, as a movie star and a top tier recording solo artist.)

Remember, at this point in her life [[75/76) Flo was already maturely taking responsibility for her role in the end of the original Supremes. [[interesting. I don't know about this. Are there more details ?) That is something I still haven't heard Diana do in her 70s. [[I don't quite follow , how does Diana not take responsibility, or rather take responsibility for what ? From the get-go , she was the one that wanted out , she wanted to go solo. It all went as she wanted and successfully , so why would she have regrets?) Mary willingly states the part that she played but IMO still doesn't accept the fact that what she did was some bullshit. Just a bunch of excuses. [[I do understand her excuses though and I'm certainly not holding it against her.) As I said before, Flo seemed to be maturing in a way that her singing partners hadn't yet done, and I think had she continued to live, her presence would have had a positive effect on the original Supremes going forward. [[Not sure what going forward means , you mean a reforming of the group ? The miraculous work of Saint Flo for sure !!)

Very possible. There's a chance that if the three women didn't have a sit down to talk about [[as Diana once put it) "the heart", all the old issues would've crept back up. Personally I believe that was the problem with Motown 25. Mary had issues that had never been dealt with and as a result, she was paranoid about being just another one of Diana's backup singers at their reunion and she acted unprofessionally during the taping, which resulted in Diana also acting unprofessionally. [[Not that I'm blaming Mary for Diana's behavior. Diana was grown enough to know how to deal with that without acting like a child.) And we know how things just went downhill from there. Who knows, maybe if Flo had been there, a couple of bitches might have ended up on the floor. How's that for a headline the next day? Lol [[lol) But somehow I don't think that would have been the case.

Diana mature in 1975? Who you kiddin?? LOL [[ oh don't let her ability to play a pre-teen Dorothy fool you! and , if Flo were more mature then because of her motherly status , I think Diana had the same number of kids at that time too.) But in truth, no one here can say with certainty what was going on in any of the women's minds, unless we consulted them. And in Flo's case that's impossible. I just use my brain to deduce the probability based on the information I do have, the same way people who write about Abe Lincoln or Martin Luther King arrive at potential scenarios based on research. I stand behind my original comments: Flo very likely would have kept the ship righted [[what ship?) had she lived. And there would have been no Dreamgirl book to really nail the coffin shut. [[I've always felt that if Flo lived Mary wouldn't have had the balls to write the book. The book sold on the strength of Diana dirt and Flo's tragic story.) [[in the end though, its a very worthwhile book)

That's the beautiful thing. I'm glad they had that moment. [[yes at least there's that brief moment of relief in this twisted story)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-02-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Does anyone know where Cindy Birdsong is??

Diana Ross is looking but can't find her and is asking if anybody knows where she is !!
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 11-02-2017 at 04:38 PM.

Does anyone know where Cindy Birdsong is??

Diana Ross is looking but can't find her and is asking if anybody knows where she is !!
    Is the consensus that she knows, has provided her assistance, and politely would not answer the question.

Even fans that seem to know don't want to say what is actually wrong with Cindy and why she has disappeared from public view.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    Is the consensus that she knows, has provided her assistance, and politely would not answer the question.
    Yes, that’s exactly what happened.

I think people forget that despite the fact none of these ladies are buddies anymore, they know how to get a hold of the other. When emergencies have happened they are on the phone calling the other. They still love and care for each other even if the friendship isn’t there anymore.

Diana knows where Cindy is.