[REMOVE ADS]

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - "If I Were A Bell"

Well surely not your typical Motown Sound but this is a wonderful performance by Smokey & The Miracles.

I love it!!

They sound great. They all sound so very young. This was the type of music the Four Tops were recording before coming to Motown. Great recording.

So, they obviously recorded some show tunes early on. This is a song from the musical Guys & Dolls. They sound really good on this.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    So, they obviously recorded some show tunes early on. This is a song from the musical Guys & Dolls. They sound really good on this.
    In an interview, I think Claudette said this was from an album to be called THE MIRACLES SING MODERN, but it was never released.

Good one. I usually don't like when Rock & Soul groups do standards but The Miracles' version of "If I Were A Bell" is fun to listen to [[and their version of "Easy Street" is equally good).

I like it a lot. It reminds me of an arrangement as the 4 Aces or Hi-Los or one of those types of groups would have had. I think Claudette's voice added so much to their early tunes but I don't think she ever got the credit she deserved. Having her in the group really made their choices of songs and arrangements much more versatile than it would have without her.

Fun video too...especially the "bong" at the end...!

This is one of my faves from the great Guys And Dolls score. Love this