[REMOVE ADS]

Are the first Jackson 5 sessions getting a full release in 2019?

Hello,

Based on the 50 year copyright law, does that mean that the full sessions will be available that the Jackson 5 cut in 1969 sometime in 2019? If so I'm guessing they would make a separate release rather than adding them to the MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1969 collection. By 2025, every Jackson 5 recording will have been released which at this point there is about 150 tracks still left in the vault.

Does this apply to Stevie's post 72 recordings as well or does he have some kind of protection from this process based on the contract he signed in 72?

honest man Guest
    Good Question,any idea of J5 150 Unreleased songs,cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by jaorecords View Post
    Hello,

Based on the 50 year copyright law, does that mean that the full sessions will be available that the Jackson 5 cut in 1969 sometime in 2019? If so I'm guessing they would make a separate release rather than adding them to the MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1969 collection. By 2025, every Jackson 5 recording will have been released which at this point there is about 150 tracks still left in the vault.

Does this apply to Stevie's post 72 recordings as well or does he have some kind of protection from this process based on the contract he signed in 72?
    I hope so. I would love to have some Jackson 5 re-releases [[the full sessions).

Wow, 150 unreleased tracks?! That’s a lot!!!! Good to hear!!!

My dream for 2019 :

Can You Remember ? JACKSON 5 - The Complete Bobby Taylor Sessions [[ 2 CD Set )

It's not a dream. That will happen. Not sure about the title though but that's actually a great title! We are going to get an influx of J5 material for 5 years.

I wonder if they would include all the material recorded in 1969 including the tracks that were released or if it would just be the unreleased tracks. I hope it's the whole batch of sessions in chronological order with the dates.

Quote Originally Posted by jaorecords View Post
    I wonder if they would include all the material recorded in 1969 including the tracks that were released or if it would just be the unreleased tracks. I hope it's the whole batch of sessions in chronological order with the dates.

I would love to hear the different takes of "I Want You Back".

I could see Motown/UMe doing a multi-disc Deluxe Edition of Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 with all the previously unreleased material the group recorded in 1969 as bonus tracks in 2019. Such a set would coincide with the tenth anniversary of Michael Jackson's untimely death.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I could see Motown/UMe doing a multi-disc Deluxe Edition of Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 with all the previously unreleased material the group recorded in 1969 as bonus tracks in 2019. Such a set would coincide with the tenth anniversary of Michael Jackson's untimely death.
    The recordings were produced by Bobby Taylor, the person that really discovered the Jackson Five for Motown, yet the title of the album has Diana Ross name on it and not Bobby's. So many ironies........

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The recordings were produced by Bobby Taylor, the person that really discovered the Jackson Five for Motown, yet the title of the album has Diana Ross name on it and not Bobby's. So many ironies........
    Yes, it's a real shame that "Bobby Taylor Presents The Jackson 5" wouldn't have had the same appeal - Motown got it right on that one but the real fans know the truth. That said, I've heard it mentioned that The Supremes "discovered" Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers so there's definitely irony there. I love The Vancouvers work on Motown - there's a rawness about it even though Berry produced some of their first album. It's for certain they added to Motown and The Jackson 5 were amazing too.

honest man Guest
    It says whats on the packet-jacket in this case,somehow would not sound so good back then it's called publicity for both acts BOBBY TAYLOR PRESENTS J5,I presume you knew this at the time,like so many of your other tales,jeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm thinking somebody doesn't know there's a difference in definition between the words "present" and "discovered". Motown could've legitimately released an album called Berry Gordy Presents Diana Ross. It would have been disingenuous to release an album titled Berry Gordy Discovers Diana Ross, although it would have probably raised more eyebrows for the more accurately titled Milton Jenkins Discovers Diana Ross. Bobby Taylor's name couldn't sale his own stuff, why would anyone expect his name to help sale the J5? The nonsense has to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    Yes, it's a real shame that "Bobby Taylor Presents The Jackson 5" wouldn't have had the same appeal - Motown got it right on that one but the real fans know the truth. That said, I've heard it mentioned that The Supremes "discovered" Bobby Taylor & The Vancouvers so there's definitely irony there. I love The Vancouvers work on Motown - there's a rawness about it even though Berry produced some of their first album. It's for certain they added to Motown and The Jackson 5 were amazing too.
    That's true. It was purely a marketing strategy at the time. Still though....

That is also true. Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard were the first from Motown to catch Bobby and the Vancouvers act and it was Mary that called Berry Gordy immediately and told him about them. I loved their Motown recordings too. They were there at the right time. They gave us something a bit different to listen to coming out of Motown in the late 60s.

I agree Marv2. As we know, the title of The Jackson 5's first album was part of Berry Gordy's marketing plan to launch Diana Ross as a solo star. And while Bobby Taylor did produce many of the group's first recordings, there was considerable friction between him and Gordy [[so calling the album Bobby Taylor Presents The Jackson 5 was out of the question).

The Jackson 5 were recording for Steel town records before Bobby Taylor got involved. NOBODY from Motown discovered them.

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    The Jackson 5 were recording for Steel town records before Bobby Taylor got involved. NOBODY from Motown discovered them.
    That's true Snakepit. Now if we want to get really techical, Marshall Thompson of the Chi-Lites asked Bobby Taylor to take a look at "this little young group.....".

As the old saying goes..
    "Success has a thousand fathers...."

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I agree Marv2. As we know, the title of The Jackson 5's first album was part of Berry Gordy's marketing plan to launch Diana Ross as a solo star. And while Bobby Taylor did produce many of the group's first recordings, there was considerable friction between him and Gordy [[so calling the album Bobby Taylor Presents The Jackson 5 was out of the question).
    I could have guessed something personal was also involved. It always is when it comes to Motown. LOL!

I'll be glad just to listen to anything Bobby Taylor produced on J5

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    I'll be glad just to listen to anything Bobby Taylor produced on J5
    So would I. Bobby was just so talented in many ways. He was working with young artists in Hong Kong and from China up until his passing.

Please someone put some more Bobby Taylor stuff out .
    I'll let you start the petition Marv and I'll be right behind you.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Please someone put some more Bobby Taylor stuff out .
    I'll let you start the petition Marv and I'll be right behind you.
    thanks McMotown, but who would we petition?

thanks McMotown, but who would we petition?
    If only I knew Marv, if only I knew