[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross to be honored at AMA

LOS ANGELES [[AP) — Diana Ross will receive a lifetime achievement honor at next month's American Music Awards and will celebrate with a performance on the broadcast next month.

ABC and Dick Clark Productions announced the honor Wednesday. It's the first time the AMAs have given out the award since 2006, when it was presented to Sting. Previous winners include Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Elle Fitzgerald and Michael Jackson.

The 73-year-old Ross tells The Associated Press on the honor: "It took a lifetime to get here, I'm not going anywhere ... It's been a wonderful journey for me of joy and much appreciation."

The Motown legend and former Supremes singer has performed at the AMAs several times and hosted the show twice.

The AMAs air live on ABC from Los Angeles on Sunday, Nov. 19.

Long overdue!

Wonderful! Can't wait to watch this!

Another great honor for this incredible talent and star.

Congratulations Diana Ross!!!!!

I am surprised she hasn't received it already. She was always so wonderful when she hosted the AMAs. She will be the only reason to watch this year.

I know. I have been waiting for her to get this award forever. So glad it is happening now. Congratulations Diana Ross!

Fantastic news! I'm not big on awards but it's always great when our legends are acknowledged for their contributions to music. I'll have to dvr so I can FF through all the crap I don't want to see in order to watch Miss Ross accept her award.

This makes my day! Congratulations to a true legend and American treasure! It's about flippin' time!

Very nice and well deserve.

I hope that Universal will promote the Supremes Ultimate Merry Christmas and any other upcoming Supremes re-issues during the November 19th broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Fantastic news! I'm not big on awards but it's always great when our legends are acknowledged for their contributions to music. I'll have to dvr so I can FF through all the crap I don't want to see in order to watch Miss Ross accept her award.
    Yes, that is what I will do. Used to love the Grammys and AMAs. Even went to the Grammys once when it was in NY. But, my musical tastes did not move forward and they are stuck in the past. So they are tedious for me to watch. So I just DVR them and stop whena legend such as Diana is on. Will love to see DR accept this award.

Just read that she is also going to perform on the show

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Just read that she is also going to perform on the show
    Great; thanks for all the postings

A richly deserved award for one of the most distinctive and unique musical talents of the past 50+ years. Delighted for her.

A very well deserved award to the great Miss a Diana Ross, congratulations, can't wait to see you perform.

So happy for her.

Good Morning America on the AMA Lifetime acheivment award.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9h2hIr4VY

Way to go Diana !!!!
    You definitely deserve this award !!! Way overdue !!!

Congratulations Miss Ross! It was 54 years ago when I first heard and fell in the love with that voice and I have never looked back. Miss Ross has been the soundtrack of my life ever since. And it's been a great ride!
    Last edited by sophisticated_soul; 10-19-2017 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Congratulations Miss Ross! It was 54 years ago when Is first heard and fell in the love with that voice and I have never looked back. Miss Ross has been the soundtrack of my life ever since. And it's been a great ride!
    That's quite a story too!

And for Diana to be going through another residency, getting another major award and be re-signing for a further residency at age 73 is incredibly marvellous

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    That's quite a story too!

And for Diana to be going through another residency, getting another major award and be re-signing for a further residency at age 73 is incredibly marvellous
    Thanks Rob, Miss Ross is indeed One Singular Sensation!

Congratulations to Miss Diana Ross - a much deserved award.

Used to watch it every year back in the good old days. I remember her doing Touch By Touch and maybe Swept Away when she hosted back in the mid-80s.

honest man Guest
    Congratulations to the Motown Queen, keep on keeping the Motown legacy out there,a true Global Superstar loved worldwide by Millions.

Congratulations to Diana,but i'd rather see The Supremes get a Lifetime Achievement Award,i'm just saying.

It would be nice to see the Supremes recognized, but they don’t qualify for a lifetime achievement award as they were really only popular for about seven years whereas diana ross as a solo has thrived for the last 47 years… That’s a lifetime!

Quote Originally Posted by Levi Stubbs Tears View Post
    Used to watch it every year back in the good old days. I remember her doing Touch By Touch and maybe Swept Away when she hosted back in the mid-80s.
    i thought her Touch by Touch performance was verrry blah. I was disappointed. I hope this time she wows the audience with something new and unexpected. The world is waiting to see if she is still the bees knees.
    Last edited by Circa 1824; 10-21-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    It would be nice to see the Supremes recognized, but they don’t qualify for a lifetime achievement award as they were really only popular for about seven years whereas diana ross as a solo has thrived for the last 47 years… That’s a lifetime!
    I agree. An entity like the Supremes should get heritage and legacy awards, but a lifetime achievement seems fitting for an artist like Diana Ross who, even though part of her legacy is her time with the Supremes, has spent most of her life as a solo artist. Duke Fakir and his Four Tops as well as Otis Williams and his Tempts should definitely get lifetime achievement awards as the Tops [[Duke) and Tempts [[Otis) have been killing the game forever, non stop.

Quote Originally Posted by REDHOT View Post
    Congratulations to Diana,but i'd rather see The Supremes get a Lifetime Achievement Award,i'm just saying.
    Maybe in 20 years, I'm just saying.

The Supremes got some recognition years ago but it has been a long time since there has been anything significant.

Occasionally I think they get shortchanged but I can't see that changing in the future.

when Motown made it's mark on the world, the flagship of Motown was The Supremes...and the flagship of The Supremes was DIANA ROSS..so there ya go..

[QUOTE=REDHOT;420631]Congratulations to Diana,but i'd rather see The Supremes get a Lifetime Achievement Award,i'm just saying.[/QUOTE
    Diana deserves her award but i would also like to see the Supremes get their own award too, but i cannot see that happening.

For many, Diana Ross was the Supremes. If the Supremes were honored, who would be included — the 2 that were the stage show backup gals, or the Andantes who were the voices on the classic records ??

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    For many, Diana Ross was the Supremes. If the Supremes were honored, who would be included — the 2 that were the stage show backup gals, or the Andantes who were the voices on the classic records ??
    Thanks for trying to start trouble, as you often will.