[REMOVE ADS]

Ode To The Suprems - Marvin & Tammi

Listed on DFTMC under Marvin & Tammi is this unreleased "gem". Has anyone got more info on this unreleased track?

"Ode To The Supremes"
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell; recording completed before 06-Oct-67 ; [demo [[unknown vocal)]
    Dec-67 [acetate]; 45 [[M): N IDM-6768-FNLL

There seems also to be an unreleased Marvin & Tammi version of "Tears At The End Of A Love Affair".

OTTS was assigned to M&T, but as the entry says there's only a male vocal demo, plus female backing vocals, on the tape. No idea who the singer is. It's awful. There was an acetate out there at some point, which is why it's in DFTMC: I guess the owner either doesn't like Motown or he/she has probably destroyed it by now.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    OTTS was assigned to M&T, but as the entry says there's only a male vocal demo, plus female backing vocals, on the tape. No idea who the singer is. It's awful. There was an acetate out there at some point, which is why it's in DFTMC: I guess the owner either doesn't like Motown or he/she has probably destroyed it by now.
    Keith, did you try looking for a possible version by Bobby Taylor? I remember looking at a master tape sheet and seeing “Ode To The Supremes” with Bobby Taylor’s name underneath. It certainly would make more sense for Bobby to sing it as Mary & Flo brought him and the Vancouvers to Motown.

“it’s awful” — Lol, for some reason that’s put me off wanting to hear it

What an interesting song idea. I'm torn between wanting to hear it for my own personal knowledge and hoping it never sees the light of day if it can be described as "awful".

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Keith, did you try looking for a possible version by Bobby Taylor? I remember looking at a master tape sheet and seeing “Ode To The Supremes” with Bobby Taylor’s name underneath. It certainly would make more sense for Bobby to sing it as Mary & Flo brought him and the Vancouvers to Motown.
    There is a kind of rough 'rehearsal' version by the Vancouvers from what I remember when producing the Anthology - I considered this for inclusion in much the same way as The Supremes and Brenda on Going To A Go Go for novelties sake, but it is not a good track to be honest and would have added nothing to the set.

Yes, I could believe it was Bobby Taylor, Paul, on the version I've heard, though it's really rough. You were right to omit it!

In April 1967, Diana, Mary & Flo recorded the reworked 'My World Is Empty Without You' as 'We Couldn't Get Along Without You' as a tribute/thanksgiving to Berry Gordy.
    I wonder if there is any connection between that sentimental move and Ode To the Supremes, especially as Flo was only gone a few months when the recording was completed [[before Oct 6, 1967).
    Too bad Bobby Taylor is no longer with us to explain how this demo recording occured. Was it envisioned while Flo was still a Supreme or after her departure? Do the lyrics mention the names of the Supremes themselves and if so, is it Flo or Cindy, or less likely both?

I have heard this track and can confirm its awfulness.