[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Does anyone got more information about the release this year?

Just four more tracks to clear, and this 95-tracker will be ready to roll out. Even if we have to go without them ... it'll still be big!

I'll post the list when I know, MelodyMan.

Thank you Keith for the update.Hopefully you guys will release it shortly before Christmas as opposed to the top of the new year. Like the rest of the Soulful Detroit family,i'm patiently waiting.

95?! Holy mackerel!!!

Gee, with all the released, unreleased recordings, touring and TV appearences, did any of these artiats get to sleep?....lol

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    Just four more tracks to clear, and this 95-tracker will be ready to roll out. Even if we have to go without them ... it'll still be big!

I'll post the list when I know, MelodyMan.
    Keith can you post just one song that will be on 67 unreleased,just to wet the appetite more please,Sir.

Wow! 95 tracks for a really great year! It's fantastic and I envy you for your hard work. I hope the "three tracks" made it to the list. Thank you so much.

Maybe we’ll be able to pre-order on ITUNES. That way we can see the track list!

I wonder if the first place the official track listing will appear will be in the "Bonus Tracks - Additional Material" section of Don't Forget the Motor City.

honest man Guest
    For Christ's sake ,here we go again ,the waiting game all this silence about release date tracks pathetic,should be getting as much publicity possible,always the same on Motown releases.no need whatsoever,PO

I imagine that Universal would earn much more money if the promotion would be better. But it's worth the wait every year. About 95 unreleased tracks - what more can we ask for...

Exactly where do these releases get publicised? It seems to me that the tracks get put on YouTube by Universal very soon after release [[except that they tend to be unavailable here in UK). Sounds like a bit of a deterrent to larger scale sales. Either way, put me down for an official CD purchase, 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    For Christ's sake ,here we go again ,the waiting game all this silence about release date tracks pathetic,should be getting as much publicity possible,always the same on Motown releases.no need whatsoever,PO
    It's always been this way Honest.These copyright collections have always been released quietly. I'm not surprised about the lack of publicity because if it wasn't for copyright provisions they wouldn't do these.This is something they have to do,I believe.They wouldn't do this on their own, but they have fun with it because it's probably not expensive to do and the tunes don't fall into the Public Domain.In addition,these collections have always been released either in December or January.We'll know for sure next month what the deal is.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    It's always been this way Honest.These copyright collections have always been released quietly. I'm not surprised about the lack of publicity because if it wasn't for copyright provisions they wouldn't do these.This is something they have to do,I believe.They wouldn't do this on their own, but they have fun with it because it's probably not expensive to do and the tunes don't fall into the Public Domain.In addition,these collections have always been released either in December or January.We'll know for sure next month what the deal is.
    Yes i know all the above ,just saying the silence etc is a joke,but thanks for responding all the same,cheers.

The track list hasn't been published because it hasn't been finalised. Not all the tracks that need mixing have been mixed yet. Not all the tracks we want to include have been cleared by the Legal Department yet.

It'll be released when the above tasks are completed and the tracks have been mastered and delivered to the vendors. I have no idea which day it will be, but it'll be in December, as every year to date. It has to be ...

I've just been told that the 4 CD set of Motown Unreleased 1966 will be on sale at the Classic Motown website on 15 December. Track list as per the digital download release last year. It's to be hoped that this will be the first step in making all the Unreleased Series available on CD.

1966 is not available for pre-order yet, and I don't know the price ...

We always complain not to have this or that, and I’m the very first to say such things. Shame I know

But with such fantastic news as this, I hope we all will push this release! Well... these releases I shall say!

UT, Brenda, DRATS A Go Go and Merry Christmas expanded on physical cds, MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1066 on physical cds and nearly a hundred of unreleased 1967 tracks just around the corner...
    2017 has to be a great Motown year for us. The last 6 months of the year will have given us probably as many unreleased tracks on cd than any other 6 months period ever...

Big thanks to you Keith and all of those who are involved!

JB

Thank you so much Keith for this fantastic news! The sale of the Unreleased series must be worthwhile for Universal.

Finally!!!.Motown fans will at last be able to hear these songs as they were intended to be heard as opposed to a download burned to a CD-R.We will also get the stories behind these songs as well,in addition to production credits and recording dates in PRINT.I didn't see how hard it could be for a suit to come up with a viable business plan to make a project like this fly.Everything in life has a learning curve,business especially and Universal had theirs with the Hip-O Select label.It didn't do what even the fans expected it to, but it was a failed investment that can make this one work.I also believe that both of these projects will be released on the same day,not to excite anyone.It kills two birds with one stone,all of us who downloaded "1966" who want an authentic version are on board as well as people who didn't know, but know now.Many people in my estimation will buy "1967" and go back to acquire "1966" on CD.If that's the marketing plan,they have two sales here.I'm no businessman, but I can see this taking place.Many thanks.

Thanks Keith for some much needed good news! Looking forward to next month.

Yup - that IS good news. My wait to hear MUR66 has not been in vain.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    Keith can you post just one song that will be on 67 unreleased,just to wet the appetite more please,Sir.
    I missed this, HM: sorry. My fave at the moment [[I'm playing them all the time so it changes) is "Double 0 And A Half" by the Agents - effectively Junior Walker & the All Stars under an alias, as far as I can tell. Those with long memories may recall a track by them on Paul Nixon's "Cellarful Of Motown Volume 4". Though I have to say that an alt version of a song by The Boy From Crosstown's favourite group also seems to have worked its way into my brain in an irremovable manner ...
    Last edited by keith_hughes; 11-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.

Wow, a track by The Velvelettes? ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Can't wait to hear the Agents track."Hey Girl, Come On And Do The Pearl" was a very enjoyable track.As for "Crosstown",my guess is that Norman Whitfield took The Marvelettes back into the studio, but recorded Wanda on lead as opposed to Gladys Horton.It's probably incomplete too, as "Love And Affection" from 1966 was.I wouldn't be surprised if it's by Gladys Knight & the Pips, for their version surfaced on 1968's "Feelin' Bluesy".Very Excited.
    Last edited by Quinn; 11-21-2017 at 09:05 PM.

I'm hoping it's the version of [[We've Got) Honey Love that John Perrone used to play on NightFlight ages ago- Cal sings it more like Martha on that version, if my memory is correct.
    As John Perrone rarely posts here any more he probably won't see this or chime in.

I've just been told that the 4 CD set of Motown Unreleased 1966 will be on sale at the Classic Motown website on 15 December. Track list as per the digital download release last year. It's to be hoped that this will be the first step in making all the Unreleased Series available on CD.

1966 is not available for pre-order yet, and I don't know the price ...
    Wow, I had no idea these were planned for a physical release. That really is great news. I haven't bought any of the Motown Unreleased series, except for the 2 Jazz volumes, because I just don't enjoy the downloads and it seems difficult to integrate even a physical copy into my collection [[no notes to speak of, and they always seem hard to find and catalog for some reason). But I will definitely buy the 1966 set if available on CD, and hope for the rest eventually.

So happy to hear it!

As much Marvin Gaye material that was released on these sets they should just do a double cd lost and found.

I hope that the alternate version of "The Boy From Crosstown" will be by GKATP because of the recording date. Their version was completed September 1967 [[according to dftmc). The released versions by The Velvelettes and The Marvelettes are all from 1965 and 1966. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Though I have to say that an alt version of a song by The Boy From Crosstown's favourite group also seems to have worked its way into my brain in an irremovable manner ...

I'm guessing it's the 3rd version of 'Save Me My Ship Of Love Is Sinking'

I seem to remember John L telling me it happens to be Cal's favourite version. I wonder why it was never issued on their Anthology set?

I could be totally wrong though. Age and fuddled brain, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    I'm guessing it's the 3rd version of 'Save Me My Ship Of Love Is Sinking'

I seem to remember John L telling me it happens to be Cal's favourite version. I wonder why it was never issued on their Anthology set?

I could be totally wrong though. Age and fuddled brain, etc....
    I think I remember reading somewhere that every track believed to exist in the Motown vaults had been used for that project.Listening to both versions of "Save Me",I don't see how Clarence Paul could've improved upon them with a 3rd version.It may be a tune that got overlooked in Hitsville moving at warp speed.When Universal U.K. reissued the "Take Two" album,they supposedly did a massive trawl of the vaults and only came up with one tune "You've Got To Be Real".Motown Unreleased 1966 proved that everything hadn't been discovered by them after all.You never know.

I recall John Lester posting at the time of the U.K. anthology's release that there were no other previously unreleased songs by the Velvelettes remaining in the vault. He did however indicate that there were alternate versions of several Velvelettes' tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    I recall John Lester posting at the time of the U.K. anthology's release that there were no other previously unreleased songs by the Velvelettes remaining in the vault. He did however indicate that there were alternate versions of several Velvelettes' tunes.
    I wish someone would prove that Mr Lester wrong! Name:  Velvelettes 761.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  94.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    As much Marvin Gaye material that was released on these sets they should just do a double cd lost and found.
    Wouldn't that be great? Yes!

Hi Keith
    Any update on clearance issues?
    Does the sale of 66 on CD determine the issue of 67 on CD?
    Thanks for your efforts and waiting for 67..

Universal has posted this press release today, confirming the Unreleased 1966 set will be available on CD. No date is given, so I assume as Keith mentioned, it will be Dec 15th.

Name:  Motown1966-4CD_ProductShot.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  36.4 KB

The latest in an ongoing series wherein legendary Detroit label Motown revisits their back catalogue through alternate versions of their hits and lesser known tracks, Motown Unreleased 1966 gathers up 80 songs that have never previously been released on CD.

Now issued by UMC as a four-disc collection with an additional booklet, Motown Unreleased 1966 was previously available through digital platforms during 2016, but is now receiving its official physical release – in a limited pressing of just 1,000 copies.

Motown Unreleased 1966’s four discs reveal a trove of treasures. Included are alternate versions of classic tracks such as Smokey Robinson & The Miracles’ ‘Flower Girl’, The Temptations’ ‘Ain’t Too Proud To Beg’ and The Isley Brothers’ ‘Got To Have You Back’, in addition to numerous rare recordings from artists such as The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Billy Eckstine, Brenda Holloway, Barbara McNair and The Four Tops. The fourth disc also features a collection of remarkable gospel tracks including The Miracles’ ‘Nearer The Cross’ and Kim Weston’s solo reading of ‘Just A Closer Walk With Thee.’

Previous titles in the digital Motown Unreleased series have included Motown Unreleased 1962: Girls, Motown Unreleased 1962: Gospel and Motown Unreleased 1963. Motown Unreleased 1966, however, is the first of the series to be granted a physical release.

Disc 1:
    The Miracles: ‘The Soulful Shack’ [[Alternate Version)
    The Temptations: ‘Ain't Too Proud To Beg’ [[Alternate Version)
    Marvin Gaye: ‘Suddenly I Was Alone’
    Billy Eckstine: ‘The Shadow Of Your Smile’
    The Mynah Birds: ‘I Got You [[In My Soul):
    The Mynah Birds: ‘’'ll Wait Forever ‘
    Jr. Walker And The All Stars: ‘Road Burner [[Son Of Road Runner)’
    Billy Eckstine: ‘For Once In My Life ‘
    Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston: ‘That'll Be The Day’
    Earl Van Dyke: ‘Don't Mess With Bill’
    The Miracles: ‘Flower Girl’ [[Alternate Version)
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Can't You Hear Me Knocking’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Whenever You Need Me’
    Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston: ‘Just Too Much To Hope For’
    Earl Van Dyke: ‘Stand By Me’ [[Live At The 20 Grand, Detroit/1966)
    The Four Tops: ‘A Taste Of Honey’
    The Four Tops: ‘Wives And Lovers’ [[Take 1)
    The Four Tops: ‘Wives And Lovers’ [[Take 3)
    The Four Tops: ‘Wives And Lovers’ [[Take 4)

Disc 2:
    Brenda Holloway: ‘The Lonely Heart And Lonely Eyes Of Lonely Me’
    Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston: ‘Give A Little Love’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘What Good Am I Without You’
    Jr Walker And The All Stars: ‘Pucker Up Buttercup’ [[Alternate Version)
    Earl Van Dyke: ‘Monkey Talk’
    Barbara McNair: ‘A World Without You’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘I Still Get Butterflies’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘In My Heart I Know It's Right’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘I’m Losing You’
    Gladys Knight & The Spinners: ‘All These Things’
    The Four Tops: ‘Hello, Young Lovers’
    The Four Tops: ‘I Wish You Love’
    Barbara McNair: ‘Put On A Happy Face’
    Barbara McNair: ‘The Second Time Around’
    Barbara McNair: ‘Smile’
    Barbara McNair: ‘Day In - Day Out’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘Nothing But A Fool’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘You're Gone [[But Always In My Heart)’
    Chris Clark: ‘Never Stop Loving Me’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘Don’t Compare Me With Her’
    Barbara McNair: ‘You've Got Possibilities’
    Chris Clark: ‘Never Trust A Man’

Disc 3:
    The Marvelettes: ‘Sweet Talkin' Guy’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘I Feel Your Love Growin' On Me’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Without Love You Lose A Good Feelin'
    Brenda Holloway: ‘You Got A Little Of Everything’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Baby I've Got It’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Keep Me’
    The Miracles: ‘I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself’ [[Alternate Version)
    Spinners: ‘Can’t Let You Go’
    Little Lisa: ‘Keep Away’
    Spinners: ‘Tea House In China Town’ [[Alternate Version)
    Marvin Gaye: ‘I Found Something’ [[Alternate Version)
    The Isley Brothers: ‘Save Me From This Misery’
    Chris Clark: ‘I Still Love You’
    The Isley Brothers: ‘Got To Have You Back’ [[Alternate Version)
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘I Can't Take You Back’
    The Temptations: ‘Then’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘I'm Giving Up’
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Spellbound’
    Spinners: ‘For All We Know [[Alternate Version)’

Disc 4:
    Brenda Holloway: ‘Can’t Hold The Feeling Back’
    Billy Eckstine: ‘The Impossible Dream’
    Marvin Gaye: ‘Dear Miss Lonely Hearts’
    The Underdogs: ‘Need Your Lovin’ [[Want You Back)’
    The Underdogs: ‘One Of These Days’
    The Four Tops: ‘On A Clear Day [[You Can See Forever)’
    The Supremes: ‘More [[Theme From Mondo Cane)’
    The Supremes: ‘Somewhere’
    The Supremes: ‘Michelle’
    Debbie Dean: ‘I’m So Helpless [[When I’m With You)’
    Marvin Gaye: ‘Swing Low, Sweet Chariot’
    Kim Weston: ‘Just A Closer Walk With Thee’
    Kim Weston: ‘Never Grow Old’
    Kim Weston: ‘How Great Thou Art’
    Gladys Knight & The Pips: ‘Just A Closer Walk With Thee’
    The Supremes: ‘Were You There’
    The Supremes: ‘What Do You Choose’
    Marvin Gaye: ‘Steal Away’
    The Miracles: ‘Near The Cross’
    Martha & The Vandellas: ‘Just A Closer Walk With Thee’

alanh, the box looks really great. Do you have the link to the site where Universal posted it?

Many thanks I've found it

Very impressed with how this looks. I wish they’d go back and do sets from 1962 [[1960...?) forward through 1967 and beyond. I’ll be buying this as soon as it is available!

Just preordered mine family.Thank you to Universal and to all the SD forum members for it's because of our supporting one another that this is happening.
    Last edited by Quinn; 12-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks to everyone that was involved in the process of making this a reality.

I hope that there would be an easier pre - order option for non US residents soon.

Quote Originally Posted by danman869 View Post
    Very impressed with how this looks. I wish they’d go back and do sets from 1962 [[1960...?) forward through 1967 and beyond. I’ll be buying this as soon as it is available!
    Just pre-ordered my copy from uMusic. Only 1000 copies pressed—for the world, eh? If you didn’t like downloads-only, here’s your chance to support a physical release that might make a difference for future releases. I think we should tell everyone we know to buy a copy. The holidays are coming!

Sooo... the packaging looks very nice - on the basis that one way or another I can obtain a physical copy - I am pleased now that I resisted any temptation to by the digital releases [[it wasn't hard though). At least there will be something to show for the money. I'm sure it will be a very enjoyable purchase.

Package design by Vartan - who designed the packaging for The Complete Motown Singles. So you know what quality to expect. The booklet contains many photos from the Motown Picture Library that I've never seen before, plus full track annotations and an essay by ... oh, I forget, someone or other.

Will it be available for order in the UK Keith?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Will it be available for order in the UK Keith?
    I sure hope so!

Cheers

Paul

And the rest of Europe?

With only a 1000 pressed, I fear we may never see this in the U.K - or across Europe.
    What a shame.
    Keith, can you shed any light as to weather this will be available outside of the U.S?

As I posted on the other thread, I'm in UK and ordered the set and paid by PayPal. No problem so far but I'm half expecting a knock back at some stage.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    As I posted on the other thread, I'm in UK and ordered the set and paid by PayPal. No problem so far but I'm half expecting a knock back at some stage.
    The problem with ordering the set if you're outside the US isn't the payment. It's the shipping and import tax that are surely going to make it significantly more expensive.

1000 copies sure sounds like an awfully low number. I'm sure that if they exceed it, they're not gonna say no to more money though 😂