[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

What about "MOTOWN UNRELEASED 1967" ?

It's October and it's time to think about the yearly great "MOTOWN UNRELEASED".
    The 1966 version was really great and I hope that the 1967 version will be released at the end of the year as usual.
    Does anyone have information?

Attached Images Attached Images  

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MelodyMan View Post
    It's October and it's time to think about the yearly great "MOTOWN UNRELEASED".
    The 1966 version was really great and I hope that the 1967 version will be released at the end of the year as usual.
    Does anyone have information?

HA I am also waiting for some news on this.hopefully soon.Love the cover,Welcome to SDF.

Many thanks honest man. I used the font Marquee regular. Maybe Keith will know more facts about the release of "1967".

honest man Guest
    Many thanks honest man. I used the font Marquee regular. Maybe Keith will know more facts about the release of "1967".
    Well done,i reckon 67 is gonna be the best ever somehow,Motown had expanded it's Recording Artists output so much by this time,im hoping we will have so much variety on the next volume,but im happy with anything Unreleased ,Maybe we will get a double whammy with the next Ace offering,fingers etc crossed mate,cheers.

Oh yes, I'm also waiting for the third "Motown Girls"-CD by Ace.
    As a great Gladys Knight & The Pips fan I'm looking for three unreleased songs from 1967: "[[Is This Why) I Gave My Love To You"[[by Dennis Lussier), the alternate mix of "Take Me In Your Arms" and "Where Is The Love"[[the song of Syreeta). It would be a great Christmas present.

honest man Guest
    Sounds great where did you get info on GKATP Unreleased songs,you really do know your stuff.cheers

Do you know the great site http://www.dftmc.info/ ?
    You can find there all Motown songs from 1956 to 1972. The site includes also unreleased songs.
    I created the never released "Lost & Found: Time Can't Erase" album by Gladys for myself and there are so many songs that were intended for it. Meanwhile I have a 2-disc-CD. But some tracks are still missing like "You Took Me This Far, Take Me All The Way" [[released by Edwin Starr on the "Cellarful 3"-CD) and a song called "My Life Can't Go On Without You" [[written by John Bristol, Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones). Many greetings to you

honest man Guest
    Do you know the great site http://www.dftmc.info/ ?
    You can find there all Motown songs from 1956 to 1972. The site includes also unreleased songs.
    I created the never released "Lost & Found: Time Can't Erase" album by Gladys for myself and there are so many songs that were intended for it. Meanwhile I have a 2-disc-CD. But some tracks are still missing like "You Took Me This Far, Take Me All The Way" [[released by Edwin Starr on the "Cellarful 3"-CD) and a song called "My Life Can't Go On Without You" [[written by John Bristol, Pam Sawyer and Gloria Jones). Many greetings to you
    Yes mate just been on it hence CC info on yesterme ..etc,tell me how to locate unreleased info if you can cheers,

There are still some completely unreleased HDH tracks in the Jobete catalog such as "Yellow Pages". I wonder if any or them will turn out to have been recorded in 1967.

honest man, when you go to the artist you will see all the songs recorded [[except the songs that are not discovered until now), when you find a song that sounds new to you you click on the song and can find it in the archive.
    In case of the GKATP I've had so much information about the songs that it was easy for me.
    You must go song by song and check it. Cheers to you

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    There are still some completely unreleased HDH tracks in the Jobete catalog such as "Yellow Pages". I wonder if any or them will turn out to have been recorded in 1967.
    I've never heard of it. Love the title. I wonder who recorded it, if it was recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Stevie Wonder in March 1963

Whatever the case,looking forward to hearing The Temptations version of "I Can Feel The Pain",which Ivy Jo Hunter winded up recording on himself.Hearing David or maybe Paul interpretation of this song is gonna be a treat for me if it makes the final selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    Whatever the case,looking forward to hearing The Temptations version of "I Can Feel The Pain",which Ivy Jo Hunter winded up recording on himself.Hearing David or maybe Paul interpretation of this song is gonna be a treat for me if it makes the final selection.
    I'm definitely been waiting to hear their version. It's definitely probably David on lead.

honest man Guest
    honest man, when you go to the artist you will see all the songs recorded [[except the songs that are not discovered until now), when you find a song that sounds new to you you click on the song and can find it in the archive.
    In case of the GKATP I've had so much information about the songs that it was easy for me.
    You must go song by song and check it. Cheers to you
    Yes i realize now,will just wait for the next batch of Unreleased on cd,cheers.

honest man Guest
    I Hope we get an Edwin Starr selection have enjoyed every unissued song of his ,Will there ever be a Lost and Found set on Edwin or are there not enough songs to fulfill a project,could someone answer then i can put matter to bed YES-NO,cheers

...any one following the Motown Unreleased series year-on-year will know that they aren't released til the end of the year...!

As wonderful as this series is, I'd rather have the tracks issued on CD than these download only collections.

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 4285
Size:  21.1 KB
    I seem to remember finding quite a few unreleased songs recorded in 1967 while working on "From The Vaults", and general planning for release of previously unreleased recordings while with Motown. Many of those got released on The 25th Anniversary LPs, and on the CD series "Motown Treasures", Anthology series, "Cellarful of Motown", "Lost & Found", and other series which released previously unreleased material. But there should still be other gems which have not yet been released on CD or digitally. I look forward to seeing what's on it. And I agree, that ALL of it should come available on CD eventually.
    Last edited by robb_k; 10-15-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    As wonderful as this series is, I'd rather have the tracks issued on CD than these download only collections.
    I agree Lake & Robb. It would be nice if the executives at Universal would make these collections tangible.I could easily see them as "Special Market" releases.I also miss the acclaimed "Cellarful Of Motown" series.To me,it's as easy as seeing how fast these "Copyright Collections" are downloaded upon release and when sales seem to slow down.Inspecting these factors would be helpful to execs regarding the number of copies to press.I'm no suit, but it doesn't seem hard to figure out.
    Last edited by Quinn; 10-14-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakedistrictlad1 View Post
    You and me both. You can't do nothing with digital. No booklet. Nothing at all.

1967 Unreleased is in progress. Mixing has begun. Awaiting confirmation on a few tracks, but at the moment it looks as if it will be bigger than 1966. And I think there will be some good news for people who want this series in CD form. More news when I have it ....

Thanks for that info Keith...its made my day.

Sounds like great news. Hope some Four Tops songs make the cut.

thanks Keith. look forward to it,keep us posted

Thank you so much Keith and thank you for your e-mail. You haved saved my life. Many greetings, Ingo J.

Thanks Keith.Finally getting the stories behind the songs will be a great treat if all falls in place.

Great post MelodyMan. I love these releases, and can't wait to see what we have in store...

Wayne Edwards
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1735...?ref=bookmarks

Does that mean, for example, that the Diana Ross & The Supremes track Chim Chim Cher-Ee that was recorded in Nov 1967 [[according to http://www.dftmc.info/ ) but never released would be a possible inclusion in this collection?

I can't wait to get all these 1967 tracks. It's like waiting for Santa Claus.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that some of the 16 or 17 completely unreleased HDH songs will surface one day.

144 man: And they were all recorded in the last year of HDH at Motown? Maybe there are some Four Tops and Supremes recordings, that would be so great!

Well don't forget that if they don't surface on this release,they'll most than likely be added to the forthcoming reissue of "Sings H-D-H".So there's no need to fret if we don't see them right away.Yet and still they may add a few sooner than all later.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_hughes View Post
    And I think there will be some good news for people who want this series in CD form. More news when I have it ....
    This is super news. I really think Universal have sold the music short by putting out such huge quantities of Motown music as download only.
    It's worth so much more than that.

144 man: And they were all recorded in the last year of HDH at Motown? Maybe there are some Four Tops and Supremes recordings, that would be so great!
    I have absolutely no information on what year they were published.

Is Motown the only record company that has such a vast vault of unreleased recordings? I have never seen other record companies release nearly this much unreleased recordings on their artists, or am I wrong?

Here's an excerpt from "Love & Affection:More Motown Girls" courtesy of Keith Hughes.......
    "The tracks weren't so much shelved as abandoned,but for the most part they are complete and ready to put out.Motown just had too much good stuff to release it all.Between 1959 and 1969 Motown's publishing houses registered more than 3000 songs with the library of congress.Many of those titles were never cut by anyone as far as we know,and a great number got just one recording and that was canned."

Keith Hughes being detailed and in depth as always!
    Last edited by Quinn; 10-18-2017 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aarondillon2011@gmail.com View Post
    Is Motown the only record company that has such a vast vault of unreleased recordings? I have never seen other record companies release nearly this much unreleased recordings on their artists, or am I wrong?
    I doubt it, especially for labels that had been around for years and years. There is no way that even half the stuff cut at a label through a large chunk of time saw the light of day at the time. In the case of Atlantic Records it makes me sick to think about the fire that destroyed so much. My stomach literally does a wave at the thought.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I doubt it, especially for labels that had been around for years and years. There is no way that even half the stuff cut at a label through a large chunk of time saw the light of day at the time. In the case of Atlantic Records it makes me sick to think about the fire that destroyed so much. My stomach literally does a wave at the thought.
    It has the right to do a wave Ran.It destroyed an entire unreleased album by Aretha Franklin.It also ruined some Mary Wells tracks produced by the great Carl Davis.

It has the right to do a wave Ran.It destroyed an entire unreleased album by Aretha Franklin.
    That's what really makes me sick. I am a Queen Ree aficionado, so to know that there's stuff that- barring some kind of miracle discovery- she did that we'll never get to hear, I get nauseous. I hate that the original version of "Aint No Way" was one of the casualties. There's a snippet of it in an old studio footage. Looks like that's as close as I'll get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    That's what really makes me sick. I am a Queen Ree aficionado, so to know that there's stuff that- barring some kind of miracle discovery- she did that we'll never get to hear, I get nauseous. I hate that the original version of "Aint No Way" was one of the casualties. There's a snippet of it in an old studio footage. Looks like that's as close as I'll get to it.
    I agree,unless Atlantic allowed Aretha the privilege of having a copy of that album master.Even though the original multi tracks are history,a copy would be better than nothing.I know at Motown the producers got copies of their sessions, but the tapes would be useless if the originals got lost because there is a beep on them.The company wanted to protect it's investment in case a producer got funny ideas with the duplicate.

I agree,unless Atlantic allowed Aretha the privilege of having a copy of that album master.Even though the original multi tracks are history,a copy would be better than nothing.I know at Motown the producers got copies of their sessions, but the tapes would be useless if the originals got lost because there is a beep on them.The company wanted to protect it's investment in case a producer got funny ideas with the duplicate.
    That's interesting information about the beep. I didn't know that. Thanks Quinn.

It's my understanding that Aretha does own her Atlantic masters. That's the reason we have not as yet seen US re-issues/remasters of underperforming albums like With Everything I Feel in Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire, and La Diva, albums that, IMHO, contain some of her most intense and satisfying vocal work. Being a Ree digital completist in America is sorely frustrating!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    It's my understanding that Aretha does own her Atlantic masters. That's the reason we have not as yet seen US re-issues/remasters of underperforming albums like With Everything I Feel in Me, You, Sweet Passion, Almighty Fire, and La Diva, albums that, IMHO, contain some of her most intense and satisfying vocal work. Being a Ree digital completist in America is sorely frustrating!
    She only owns the masters of the five albums that you named. A few years back, supposedly a deal was reached with Aretha and they were going to be released on cd, with bonus material, but it never happened.

Re some of her unreleased material, I think Jerry Wexler had tapes, some which ended up being used for her RARE AND UNRELEASED collection from a while back. That collection also contained a bunch of unreleased songs from her sessions with Quincy Jones. I think David Nathan actually found tape cases with unreleased material. So the fire might not have destroyed everything.

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    She only owns the masters of the five albums that you named. A few years back, supposedly a deal was reached with Aretha and they were going to be released on cd, with bonus material, but it never happened.

Re some of her unreleased material, I think Jerry Wexler had tapes, some which ended up being used for her RARE AND UNRELEASED collection from a while back. That collection also contained a bunch of unreleased songs from her sessions with Quincy Jones. I think David Nathan actually found tape cases with unreleased material. So the fire might not have destroyed everything.
    Thanks for the clarification, reese.

Does anyone know something about Brenda Holloway's demo of "Here Are The Pieces Of My Broken Heart"? The version by GKATP was completed in 1966. I had hoped Brenda's version could be on Unreleased 1966 or was it completed later, maybe 1967?

I would certainly welcome release of this set on CD - and would buy it. Why not call it a "Cellarful of 67"?

Having them available on digital only is obviously better than not at all but personally I don't buy them in this format.

I wonder what is the purpose of these releases? I know it has something to do with copyright but does it mean that there is nothing left in the vault as unreleased for the years in question? There always seem to be more tracks unearthed all the time so I'm not sure about whether it means that each year becomes exhausted of unreleased tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    I would certainly welcome release of this set on CD - and would buy it. Why not call it a "Cellarful of 67"?

Having them available on digital only is obviously better than not at all but personally I don't buy them in this format.

I wonder what is the purpose of these releases? I know it has something to do with copyright but does it mean that there is nothing left in the vault as unreleased for the years in question? There always seem to be more tracks unearthed all the time so I'm not sure about whether it means that each year becomes exhausted of unreleased tracks.
    I thought they were releasing these year by year so that these unreleased recordings won't go into public domain until 50 years after their release, but don't quote me on that.

I think we should be satisfied that we will get tracks from the Motown vaults at all. On the 10-15-2017 Keith posted here that the 1967 Unreleased will maybe be bigger than the 1966. That is great. He also wrote something about a CD release. Look for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post

mysterysinger, the purpose of these releases is to extend their european copyright. US copyright is currently until 2067 for sound recordings made prior to 15 Feb 1972 and up until around 2013 european copyright was strictly 50 years and then everything fell in public domain. Around 2013, european copy got extended to 70 years, but only for any material released!!!! That is why we are getting these releases, it is to extend the copyright another 20 years from original creation to match the US and that they don't fall into public domain right now. Anything NOT released prior to 1967 that sees the light of day and IS released for the 1st time NOW [[not in the original 50 years) is in public domain. So if they find more Motown songs from 1963 or 1964, Universal can release them, but they won't have the copyright protection of the 70 years as 50 years have passed and they have already passed into public domain since they weren't released in the original 50 year period. Another words in 2013 when they extended copyright to 70 years, it did NOT include items that were unpublished in the 50 years from creation!

As far as the cd releases, I am assuming that Keith Hughes is meaning that the digital releases have been popular enough to warrant some limited pressings on cd. This is good news as we will get the full cd quality before the industry adopts higher quality download and streaming.
    Last edited by greg jones; 10-22-2017 at 11:09 AM.