[REMOVE ADS]

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell - Baby I Need Your Loving

I absolutely have never heard this version of my favorite song until now. I enjoy discovering something "new" among the "old". Marvin and Tammi......not bad.

Doesn’t sound like Tammi Terrell on this one; must be Valerie Simpson. Good production.

Agreed, it's Val not Tammi who was too ill

Quote Originally Posted by mowest View Post
    Doesn’t sound like Tammi Terrell on this one; must be Valerie Simpson. Good production.
    I also agree. This is indeed Val. Fine version of a great tune.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    Wow really? I have to listen to this again. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    I think you're right. She does sounds like she is struggling a bit. It's like with that Andantes thing on some groups records I guess. Interesting......

This is one track I never cared for! Regardless of who provides the vocals, it is hands down my least favorite tune from the Marvin & Tammi canon! I personally think they should of searched long and hard for solo recordings Tammi left unfinished. Then have Marvin fill in the gaps. Especially if Tammi did indeed attempt to cut “Green Grow the Lilacs”!

This is one I actually play often. Not my favorite version but I dig it.

Not a bad version, but I think Marvin would have done a great job on this song as a solo, based on his performance on this duet.

honest man Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    This is one track I never cared for! Regardless of who provides the vocals, it is hands down my least favorite tune from the Marvin & Tammi canon! I personally think they should of searched long and hard for solo recordings Tammi left unfinished. Then have Marvin fill in the gaps. Especially if Tammi did indeed attempt to cut “Green Grow the Lilacs”!
    Yes i feel the same about this,though i reckon Marvin solo would have turned out so much better the female vocal ruins it for me.,I did not know Tammi was set to record Green Grow the lilacs what a beautiful song i love all 4-5 versions of this song but reckon Tammi's would have been my fave along with The Originals version,thanks for that info.

Marvin is superb on this! Valerie is trying too hard in spots and it is a little annoying….But most of it I think ispretty good - I enjoy it enough….Even imitation Tammi is better than no Tammi!

Thanks for sharing this great find I’ve never heard it

Has Valerie ever acknowledged taking Tammi’s place on any recordings?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Has Valerie ever acknowledged taking Tammi’s place on any recordings?
    Not really. I've heard her deny it. I've seen her almost give a wink afterwards. She and I were on a flight one time coming out of LaGuardia and she deny being herself and winked LOL!!! I love Val.

Lovely version of the song!

Valerie sounds a lot like Tammi here IMO, but her voice is a bit deeper. Not sure anyone non-Motown-obsessed would have realised though

Back in the day I [[like most people) thought that the tracks on 'Easy' were by Marvin & Tammi because that's what it said on the label! Same with the Supremes, I had no idea that latterly it was Diana Ross & The Andantes. Likewise it's Syreeta singing part of 'I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing' not Martha. I wonder if I can sue Gordy under the misrepresentation of goods act - lol!

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Lovely version of the song!

Valerie sounds a lot like Tammi here IMO, but her voice is a bit deeper. Not sure anyone non-Motown-obsessed would have realised though
    One of the occasions when the "Easy" album was brought up. Valerie stated that it was Tammi imitating her rather than the other way around. Eventually, She came out and stated that she did overdub over some of Tammi's parts. While I tend to side with Valerie more, I do think she does more singing than she's willing to admit. Especially, on "Baby I Need Your Lovin'".
    Last edited by jboy88; 10-14-2017 at 03:54 PM.

I believe that anything recorded on dates later than the session on which Tammi laid down vocals on "You're All I Need To Get By" didn't include Tammi at all. Further, I believe Val's voice can be heard on parts of "You're All I Need To Get By" as well. That's the blending of voices that Val refers to. After that it was Marvin and Val. Tammi would have been just too poorly.

I too had heard that it's mainly Val on 'You're All I Need To Get By'

What is the country twang in "Tammi's" voice ??? Very strange

Quote Originally Posted by Circa 1824 View Post
    What is the country twang in "Tammi's" voice ??? Very strange
    I think Tammi had a slight country twang in her voice anyway, and here IMO Valerie is trying to sound like Tammi, so she’s ‘putting on’ a more country twang... that’s what I hear anyway. It is a bit weird and over-the-top but meh, still a great song

I agree that Tammi had a kind of country twang. Val was good [[very good) but not able to re-create with absolute accuracy and so it is fairly easy to tell the difference, and Val is more nasal. On "Easy" some songs did feature Tammi, but her vocals on those were recorded some time previously and not specifically for that album. Motown made good use of existing recorded material and added Marvin's vocals to create a duet. But I doubt we'll ever hear a Tammi solo of "You're All I Need To Get By". The vocal recording dates are crucial - after Tammi's collapse, I suspect she was unable to record very much at all - that is so sad. Motown's actions I believe were with the best of intentions.

maybe its Marvin Gaye and Tammy Wynette
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 10-14-2017 at 10:38 PM.

The twang is soooo exaggerated that is it clear someone [[Valerie) was trying to pass as Tammi. FAIL !

Valerie did sound more like Tammy Wynette .... hahahaha