[REMOVE ADS]

Debbby Boone. When the Lovelight...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRT7gWrSj0 I was prepared to really make fun of this but gasp ...it’s kind of growing on me. I’m afraid to ask what others think . I will say only a Boone could turn it into a soulless dirge

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmRT7gWrSj0 I was prepared to really make fun of this but gasp ...it’s kind of growing on me. I’m afraid to ask what others think . I will say only a Boone could turn it into a soulless dirge
    I think she sang this on the Tonight Show back then too. 40 years ago right around this time she had her massive hit "You Light Up My Life". Where did the time go? LOL

I remember hearing this in the much slowed-down arrangement, but never knew it was Debby Boone. I think she gives it a good reading, and I think it works as a ballad, surprisingly.

I saw her once in "The King and I" - about 15 years ago - and met her after the show. A very refined lady, and really gorgeous in person. I remember her telling me that her father had never seen any production of "The King and I" until he saw her in the role as "Anna." That seemed amazing to me but I suppose he was so busy in the 50s and 60s he didn't have much time for theatre. She sang the role well and also commented that now that she felt comfortable doing a British accent, she would like to tackle "Mary Poppins," but I don't know if she ever did. Was Poppins ever even revived as a stage musical? Not sure...

I think it was on Broadway awhile ago. But I could be wrong. I know they’re making a new movie of it. I read a comment that said the person thought this version was released by the Boone Sisters on Motown[[?) initially. True?? I’m amazed it works as a ballad too!
    Last edited by luke; 10-07-2017 at 11:15 PM.

I think it was on Broadway awhile ago. But I could be wrong. I know they’re making a new movie of it. I read a comment that said the person thought this version was released by the Boone Sisters on Motown[[?) initially. True?? I’m amazed it works as a ballad too!
    They're remaking it as a film? Yikes! Watch, they'll put someone like Angelina Jolie in the Poppins role!

I like what John Waters once said, that they should remake the bad movies, not the good ones! The recent remake of "Ben-Hur" is a case in point!

That’s so often true! I think Emma Stone is playing Mary Poppins.

Yes it is true as far as I remember ....tonight. The Boone Sister covered several old Supremes songs for Motown in the 70s.

I don't find it soulless at all! As much as I love the Supremes' version, I think Debby's cover focuses on the lyric and renders a more "romantic" version. There are so many good songs that were released on Debby's LPs. She did get a little "country" here and there, but I still found them enjoyable. I'm surprised no catalog label has reissued her Warner Brothers [[and Motown?) output yet.

"When The Lovelight..." is a very nice version. On Warner they did a reasonable take on The Crystals "He's A Rebel" but this one sounds a bit more Carpenters-ish - "Please Mr Postman" on Mowest.

Debby Boone's version of "Lovelight" is so different from the Supremes that it might as well be another song. I bought it when it first came out and still like it.

I have always liked Debbie's version. It's just different that's all.

I, too, like Debbie and The Boones' Motown recordings. What's not to like? They were good songs to begin with, nicely arranged, and elegantly produced featuring some excellent harmonies-- just what Motown was famous for [[although more white-bread and laid back than we're used to). I wish we could see a Boone Motown CD release, but I'm not counting on it....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "When The Lovelight..." is a very nice version. On Warner they did a reasonable take on The Crystals "He's A Rebel" but this one sounds a bit more Carpenters-ish - "Please Mr Postman" on Mowest.
    Mysterysinger, I've never heard The Boones' "Please Mr. Postman" before. If I didn't know better, I'd swear it was a 1963-era Girl-Group recording by The Pixies Three! I love it!

But The Boones singing a cover of Phil Spector's "He's A Rebel"? That's GOTTA be one for the books!

No shes not its Emily Blunt thats playing Mary Poppins.

Come to think of it, The Boones recording for Motown wasn't that far of a stretch after all. Mike Curb [[of Curb Records' fame) produced The Boones' "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes", as well as its flip side and also "Please Mr. Postman" shown above. Mike also produced The Supremes' [[Mary, Scherrie & Cindy's) "It's All Been Said Before" track from their 1975 self-titled "Supremes" [["He's My Man") album. I have to wonder if Mike's involvement with Motown was intended as a sign of bigger and better things to come, but, for whatever reason, somehow fizzled out. Personally, I love his interpretation of the Motown Sound, and I'm eager to hear more.

Mike Curb's productions on Motown's MC subsidiary label are particularly hard to track down.

Quote Originally Posted by 144man View Post
    Mike Curb's productions on Motown's MC subsidiary label are particularly hard to track down.
    They sure are, 144man. I've been searching for a Near Mint copy of The Boone's Motown album on eBay and Discogs but can't find one anywhere in ANY condition.

Yeah - then there's Daddy Pat ....
    Attachment 13561

I just found [[and ordered) Near Mint copies of The Boones' "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes", "My Guy" [[Promo), and "Please Mr. Postman" 45's on eBay and Discogs. All three were dirt cheap. Poppa Pat's "Yester Me, Yester You, Yesterday" 45, however, wasn't as plentiful. Only one copy available, and it was in crummy condition.

Thanks for providing the YouTube samples, mysterysinger. When The Boones version of "Please Mr. Postman" started playing, I cringed. But, once it got going, I was hooked!

[[BTW, I haven't forgotten about checking out the Cliff Richard movie to discover why you're known as "mysterysinger. I just haven't gotten around to it. I moved a few months ago and I'm STILL getting settled! But will check it out soon. - Gary

Thank you, Luke, for sharing the link to Debby Boone's version of "When the Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes." Although I've listened to the Supremes's version countless times, I never paid much attention to the beautiful lyrical story that is contained in the words. I, for the first time, actually visualized the couple described in the song. Actually, although I am a big Supremes fan, I prefer this over the original in regard to how the laid back arrangement fits the lyric content.

Yes, thank you, Luke. It's rare that we get a chance to focus on this particular facet of Motown.

strange how Motown changed the writers of "Postman", completely leaving Georgia Dobbins name off & she wrote it.

A couple of interesting points about Debby's "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes"

1) it was credited to The Boones on the singles
    USA Motown M1334F [[b/w "Viva Espana")
    UK Tamla Motown TMG1030 [[as the B' side to "My Guy") and again as
    UK Mowest 3025 [[b/w "Friend") [[note that a few singles saw dual release at different times in the UK on the Mowest and Tamla Motown labels).

2) It then saw release on Debby's 1977 album "You Light Up My Life" on Warner Brothers. Was it a case that they bought the master from Motown for "Lovelight" and perhaps thought it had potential?

3) Clearly YLUML was a big hit, not that long after they left Motown which is a similar situation to the success The Four Seasons [[and Frankie Valli solo) had very soon after leaving Motown [[in their case actually with Motown material). In the case of Debby Boone and The Four Seasons, their huge successes came on Warners subsequently to their Motown tenure - not surprising given the Mike Curb connection perhaps. Frankie hit it big with another "Motown" song as well.

Attachment 13563
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-11-2017 at 10:19 AM.

Yeah, it gets confusing for sure! Add to that the fact that Motown's label copy sometimes billed them as The Boones, sometimes Debby Boone With The Boones, and, at other times, The Pat Boone Family. Consistency was not the name of the game here!

And the Boone Sisters, yes?

And the Boone Sisters, yes?
    I don't think I've seen that one, Luke, but it would stand to reason! Or how about the Boone Gals!

Mike Curb exited MGM Records & PolyGram on Sep 7, 1973 when PolyGram gained complete control from MGM pictures and went back to doing independent production and placing them with various labels. When assisting in making a deal for an artist, he usually wanted a joint deal using the Curb Records imprint along with the label he was getting the artists siged. That's what happened with Mo Ostin at Warner Bros., hence the Warner/Curb label. In late 1974, as the Four Seasons exited Motown, Berry Gordy hired Curb to run his new country labels Melodyland, which was changed to Hitsville. During this period Curb got Gordy to sign artists that he had at MGM. So Pat Boone, The Boones, Jud Strunk, T.G. Shepard, etc. were signed. Some of the pop sounding acts like The Boones were issued on Mowest, as it closed, or Motown proper. Curb at this time was also asked to produce some acts like the Supremes.

When The Four Seasons left Motown and purchased My Eyes Adored You, Larry Uttal at Private Stock wanted to use My Eyes Adores as a Frankie Valli solo cut and was uninterested in signing The Four Seasons intially only issuing their Greatest Hits from Vee-Jay and Phillips, which the partnership owned. Bob Gaudio and Judy Parker Gaudio had written both Who Loves You and December 1963 while their Motown contract was ending and hadn't completely finished those demos. Mike Curb then picked up the 4 Seasons representation and got them signed to WB. Bob Gaudio's publishing was still in effect as a joint deal with Motown's Jobete. So Curb got the recordings and Gordy got the publishing. The Four Seasons albums that were released on Warner/Curb and MCA/Curb, I believe, are jointly owned by the Partnership and Curb.

In 1977, Gordy decided to change the country label name from Hitsville to M.C., which basically stood for Motown Country. M.C. also just happened to be Mike Curb's initials. Late in 1977, the Boones decided NOT to renew with Motown and Curb took them over. So their releases now appeared on Warner/Curb. After Debbie's hit of You Light Up My Life, her sisters decided to retire from recording.

Many of the songs that Mike Curb Productions recorded on the above artists while at Motown, Curb retains tight control on, especially the Multi-Track Masters. So it is very possible that some of the Boone Girls songs recorded at Motown did end up on the Warner/Curb album by Debbie.

In 1978, Curb and Gordy agreed to disband M.C. records and many of those artists ended up on Warner/Curb.

I, too, would love to hear much of the Boone Girls tracks recorded for both Motown and Curb. I do not know why Curb has not released all of Debby's albums. Curb has also not released any of the Osmond Brothers country albums in full either.

Thanks for that interesting and thorough explanation, Greg. I, too, had assumed that Motown's M.C. subsidiary stood for Mike Curb Records. I'm not particularly interested in that label's Country releases, but I would love to hear all of The Boone Family's Motown recordings including Pat's. And, especially, any additional tracks that Mike may have produced on The Supremes. I've always loved "It's All Been Said Before" and felt that it deserved to be a huge hit.

It's strange that so few of Debby Boone's pop albums have been reissued on CD. [[I'm still waiting for her "Midstream" Warner Brother's Pop album to surface on CD.) I've always wondered if the reason might be because Debby turned Born Again Christian several years ago. And refusing to sign away the rights to her former Pop material is her way of distancing herself from her former "Pop"-music life. Just a guess here.

That's excellent info Greg. I wonder whether there was any discussion about Roy Orbison moving over to Motown along with the MGM artists since his MGM deal ended in 1973 also and he signed with Mercury a year later. Mike Curb had oversight of Roy's MGM career latterly also writing/collaborating on "It Takes All Kinds Of People" and "So Young" for example. Mind you he wouldn't have been a west coast artist though.

Oh and let's not forget the large number [[40-50?) of unreleased Frankie Valli / Four Seasons Motown recordings sitting in the vaults somewhere!

great post Greg. thank you.

Do those in control of this already recorded material really not care if it all rots, rusts, and withers? Boggles the mind. .

No, it is not a remake. It is a "sequel," with Emily Blunt as Mary Poppins and Lin-Manuel Miranda [["Hamilton"). Dick Van Dyke will be in it, but not as the chimney sweep, but as the old banker he played in the original 1964 film. The stage musical of "Mary Poppins" opened in London and then transferred to Broadway and has toured the U.S. and other countries.
    Debby Boone also appears with a number of symphony orchestras as her mother-in-law was the legendary singer Rosemary Clooney. She often appears performing Ms. Clooney's hits and other standards in concert. So she still has a career with non-Christian music.

Debby Boone and The Boones did cover a number of Motown songs, and all were very, very, very good. My favorite is Debby's version of "Choosey Beggar" on her self-titled album. It is wonderful! None of Debby's albums have been released on CD, though there was a good Japanese compilation a few years back. All of her Warner albums are available from My Music Boutique, though. They also have the Debby Boone album that features "Choosey Beggar." [[For the record, Debby Boone is one of the most unappreciated and unrecognized singers ever. She is often discounted as a one-hit wonder, but she had several country hits, and her albums are full of absolute gems...)

Thx Zani. My goof per Emma Stone . Debby coming to Queens NY with her “Swing” show!

Quote Originally Posted by mistercarter2u View Post
    Debby Boone and The Boones did cover a number of Motown songs, and all were very, very, very good. My favorite is Debby's version of "Choosey Beggar" on her self-titled album. It is wonderful! None of Debby's albums have been released on CD, though there was a good Japanese compilation a few years back. All of her Warner albums are available from My Music Boutique, though. They also have the Debby Boone album that features "Choosey Beggar." [[For the record, Debby Boone is one of the most unappreciated and unrecognized singers ever. She is often discounted as a one-hit wonder, but she had several country hits, and her albums are full of absolute gems...)
    Mr. Carter, thanks for the heads up regarding My Music Boutique. I just ordered 4 of Debby Boone's Warner Brothers albums on CD:

1) You Light Up My Life [[Containing "When The Lovelight.....")
    2) Midstream
    3) Debby Boone [[Containing "Choosey Beggar")
    4) Savin' It Up

I ordered them just an hour or so ago. They've shipped them already!

BTW, when I tried to check out Debby's version of "Choosey Beggar" on YouTube, it wasn't available for listening. But I was able to sample Debby's version of "Girl Don't Come" from her self-titled album. Wow! Once it gets going and the strings come in, what a powerful version! Every bit as good as Ronnie Dyson's version! Thank again for pointing me in the right direction!
    Last edited by Philles/Motown Gary; 10-12-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Diana Ross' version of "Home" from The Wiz will always be the definitive version for me, but this live rendition by Debby Boone surely gives Diana's version a run for the money!

[[Thanks to dboonetube for posting this beautiful performance.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA21k7ZRs6c

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    Diana Ross' version of "Home" from The Wiz will always be the definitive version for me, but this live rendition by Debby Boone surely gives Diana's version a run for the money!

This was indeed a passionate rendition of "Home." The instrumental arrangement was very similar to the one backing Diana's live performance. Thanks for sharing this.

Debby Boone sings and interprets the songs very well indeed. Great thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    This was indeed a passionate rendition of "Home." The instrumental arrangement was very similar to the one backing Diana's live performance. Thanks for sharing this.
    You're very welcome, jobucats.

Stephanie Mills' version of "Home" is the definitive version in my opinion.

honest man Guest
    Mr. Carter, thanks for the heads up regarding My Music Boutique. I just ordered 4 of Debby Boone's Warner Brothers albums on CD:

1) You Light Up My Life [[Containing "When The Lovelight.....")
    2) Midstream
    3) Debby Boone [[Containing "Choosey Beggar")
    4) Savin' It Up

I ordered them just an hour or so ago. They've shipped them already!

BTW, when I tried to check out Debby's version of "Choosey Beggar" on YouTube, it wasn't available for listening. But I was able to sample Debby's version of "Girl Don't Come" from her self-titled album. Wow! Once it gets going and the strings come in, what a powerful version! Every bit as good as Ronnie Dyson's version! Thank again for pointing me in the right direction!
    PMG Love Ronnie Dyson so unique,love his style,cheers for reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by honest man View Post
    PMG Love Ronnie Dyson so unique,love his style,cheers for reminder.
    Hey Honest Man! Cheers right back at 'cha!
    You're so right! Ronnie Dyson had the kind of voice that was both Pop and Soulful -- easily accessible and appealing to everyone. His Thom Bell productions are among Philly Soul's finest! Ronnie was taken from us way too early.

honest man Guest
    Hey Honest Man! Cheers right back at 'cha!
    You're so right! Ronnie Dyson had the kind of voice that was both Pop and Soulful -- easily accessible and appealing to everyone. His Thom Bell productions are among Philly Soul's finest! Ronnie was taken from us way too early.
    What more can i-you say,cheers mate.

The Debby Boone [[Self-titled CD) is perhaps her best ever... including "Choosey Beggar," which I actually think rivals the Smokey original, as well as great version of "The Worst That Could Happen," which was a hit for The Brooklyn Bridge and also recorded by the 5th Dimension, and of course "Girl Don't Come."

As I said, Debby Boone is an under-appreciated talent.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Thanks for this really good news, Lucky! I just pre-ordered my 40th Anniversary CD edition from Amazon now. As luck would have it, I ordered a copy of Debby's "You Light Up My Life" CD from the My Music Boutique website only yesterday! [[Argggh!)
    But who can complain about an upcoming duplicate which contains 14 additional Bonus tracks -- of which some are Motown recordings, no less!

Everybody who wanted many of the Boone Girls Motown tracks on CD, just got their wish. Real Gone Music has wrestled away from Curb and UMe Debby's Warner/Curb debut album "You Light Up My Life" and added another dozen of the Motown trax for a 40th Anniversary edition touting that almost all tracks except for the title tune are 1st time on CD and newly remastered. The CD comes out Dec 1st.

Here is the link:
    https://shop.realgonemusic.com/produ...ary-edition-cd

Decent price and at least 4 "Motown" recordings.

Curb [[I have read) had very strong family / religious values and when
    he took over MGM he displaced all the hippy acts and anyone he even suspected of using pot or other drugs

I happen to like Bonnie Pointers version of Lovelight...its sexy and breathy....and that funky electronically treated banjo breakdown just
    kill me....I like a lot of C&W Funk pairings....Candi Staton & Mille Jackson did many....and Gladys Knight did a few