[REMOVE ADS]

Dionne Warwick "Odds And Ends: Scepter Records Rarities" [[Real Gone) dec.8, 2017

With a total of 40 Pop chart hits, Dionne Warwick’s recordings for the Scepter label rank as arguably the most successful run of any artist—and certainly of any female artist—for an independent label during the 1960s. But all that success had a downside for her considerable legacy: Scepter became a hot property for acquisition, and as a result the label’s holdings were bought and sold several times before Dionne herself arranged to buy her own masters back. By that time, though, the Scepter tapes had been scattered in disarray, thus leaving a lot of material in limbo and causing compilers to throw up their hands. Well, where other reissue labels fear to tread Real Gone Music goes full speed ahead! Odds & Ends—Scepter Records Rarities offers 26 hard-to-find tracks [[plus some bonus promo spots) from the Scepter vaults, including rare alternate versions [[of hits like “Don’t Make Me Over,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” and “Do You Know the Way to San Jose”), stereo singles [[“He’s Moving On;” “Amanda”), foreign language singles [[“A House Is Not a Home” in Italian and French; “Walk On By” in German and Italian), stereo mixes [[of “Get Rid of Him” and “Silent Voices”), and just plain lost tracks [[like “Our Ages or Our Hearts” and “Monday, Monday”). Many of the selections are previously unissued and most are making their CD debut. What’s more, this one’s released with the full cooperation of the legendary lady, Dionne herself, who sat down for an interview with liner note writer Joe Marchese, and includes rare photos. Remastered by Ted Carfrae, Odds & Ends—Scepter Records Rarities is a stone solid must for any Dionne fan, and of course any Bacharach-David fan as well…this is some of the greatest—and rarest—vocal pop music of the ‘60s!
    Tracklist

1. I Say a Little Prayer [[Alternate Version)
    2. Monday, Monday
    3. A House Is Not a Home [[Italian Version)
    4. He's Moving On [[Stereo Single Non-Soundtrack Version)
    5. Amanda [[Stereo Single Non-Soundtrack Version)
    6. Walk On By [[German Version)
    7. Get Rid of Him [[Stereo Mix)
    8. Don't Make Me Over [[Alternate Version)
    9. Reach Out for Me [[French Version)
    10. The Good Life [[Studio Mix)
    11. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets [[Alternate Version)
    12. Walk Little Dolly [[Italian Version)
    13. If You Let Me Make Love to You, Then Why Can't I Touch You
    14. La Vie En Rose [[English Version)
    15. You'll Never Get to Heaven [[German Version)
    16. As Long as There's an Apple Tree [[Extended Version)
    17. Our Ages or Our Hearts
    18. How Many Days of Sadness [[French Version)
    19. I Love Paris [[Studio Mix)
    20. Silent Voices [[Stereo Mix)
    21. The Windows of the World [[Italian Version)
    22. C'est Si Bon [[Studio Mix)
    23. Odds & Ends [[Alternate Version)
    24. A House Is Not a Home [[French Version)
    25. Walk On By [[Italian Version)
    26. Do You Know the Way to San Jose [[Alternate Version)
    27. Dionne Radio Promo Spots & Public Service Announcement

Great news Jack, thanks for sharing. Indeed, compilers could do a multi-disc box set on Dionne Warwick's Scepter recordings from 62-71.

Real Gone does a good job; this release seems like it will be another hit for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    With a total of 40 Pop chart hits, Dionne Warwick’s recordings for the Scepter label rank as arguably the most successful run of any artist—and certainly of any female artist—for an independent label during the 1960s. But all that success had a downside for her considerable legacy: Scepter became a hot property for acquisition, and as a result the label’s holdings were bought and sold several times before Dionne herself arranged to buy her own masters back. By that time, though, the Scepter tapes had been scattered in disarray, thus leaving a lot of material in limbo and causing compilers to throw up their hands. Well, where other reissue labels fear to tread Real Gone Music goes full speed ahead! Odds & Ends—Scepter Records Rarities offers 26 hard-to-find tracks [[plus some bonus promo spots) from the Scepter vaults, including rare alternate versions [[of hits like “Don’t Make Me Over,” “I Say a Little Prayer,” and “Do You Know the Way to San Jose”), stereo singles [[“He’s Moving On;” “Amanda”), foreign language singles [[“A House Is Not a Home” in Italian and French; “Walk On By” in German and Italian), stereo mixes [[of “Get Rid of Him” and “Silent Voices”), and just plain lost tracks [[like “Our Ages or Our Hearts” and “Monday, Monday”). Many of the selections are previously unissued and most are making their CD debut. What’s more, this one’s released with the full cooperation of the legendary lady, Dionne herself, who sat down for an interview with liner note writer Joe Marchese, and includes rare photos. Remastered by Ted Carfrae, Odds & Ends—Scepter Records Rarities is a stone solid must for any Dionne fan, and of course any Bacharach-David fan as well…this is some of the greatest—and rarest—vocal pop music of the ‘60s!
    Tracklist

1. I Say a Little Prayer [[Alternate Version)
    2. Monday, Monday
    3. A House Is Not a Home [[Italian Version)
    4. He's Moving On [[Stereo Single Non-Soundtrack Version)
    5. Amanda [[Stereo Single Non-Soundtrack Version)
    6. Walk On By [[German Version)
    7. Get Rid of Him [[Stereo Mix)
    8. Don't Make Me Over [[Alternate Version)
    9. Reach Out for Me [[French Version)
    10. The Good Life [[Studio Mix)
    11. Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets [[Alternate Version)
    12. Walk Little Dolly [[Italian Version)
    13. If You Let Me Make Love to You, Then Why Can't I Touch You
    14. La Vie En Rose [[English Version)
    15. You'll Never Get to Heaven [[German Version)
    16. As Long as There's an Apple Tree [[Extended Version)
    17. Our Ages or Our Hearts
    18. How Many Days of Sadness [[French Version)
    19. I Love Paris [[Studio Mix)
    20. Silent Voices [[Stereo Mix)
    21. The Windows of the World [[Italian Version)
    22. C'est Si Bon [[Studio Mix)
    23. Odds & Ends [[Alternate Version)
    24. A House Is Not a Home [[French Version)
    25. Walk On By [[Italian Version)
    26. Do You Know the Way to San Jose [[Alternate Version)
    27. Dionne Radio Promo Spots & Public Service Announcement
    Cannot wait for this! Any Dionne tracks from the 60's 70's 80's and even the 90's will be greatly appreciated by her many fans.

Fabulous. Bring it on

Now THIS is something worth waiting for!

We will buy this in our household, but I have to confess I will not personally be "that" excited. I generally don't like foreign language songs and I am one of the few people on the planet that considered her Warner Brothers and Arista years to be far superior to her still-developing Scepter career. So bring me more rarities from the 70s and 80s and I will kick up my heels a little higher.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    We will buy this in our household, but I have to confess I will not personally be "that" excited. I generally don't like foreign language songs and I am one of the few people on the planet that considered her Warner Brothers and Arista years to be far superior to her still-developing Scepter career. So bring me more rarities from the 70s and 80s and I will kick up my heels a little higher.
    I am also one of those few people david. By the turn of the 70's Dionne's vocals had improved and matured. She recorded some wonderful stuff for Warners in the 70's, but i think we have heard virtually all of her recordings from that great era. We had that fab compilation a few years back which i still treasure. As regards her Arista period this was Dionne at her absolute vocal peak, and i would love to hear the stuff that remains in the vaults. I don't think there is much left n there but anything is better than nothing.
    In the meantime any rare stuff from the scepter years will be welcomed into my house with open arms.

My memory is a little fuzzy but I seem to remember a similar released that was supposed to come out a few years back and it had been shelved due to complications in getting clearances for many of the tracks. I will definitely be getting this one!

Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post

I feel the same re foreign language recordings. While her voice was better in the 70s she never had material to match her Bacharach/David catalog. I wish she'd recorded her 60s hits in the 70s with better arrangements and better engineering. Oh well...