[REMOVE ADS]

The top ten supremes albums to chart on billboard

The Supremes charted a total of 35 lps on Billboard. These are the ten most successful:

1. DIANA ROSS & SUPREMES GREATEST HITS
    2. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    3. SUPREMES A' GO-GO
    4. AT THE COPA
    5. MORE HITS
    6. I HEAR A SYMPHONY
    7. TCB
    8. SING HOLLAND-DOZIER-HOLLAND
    9. JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS
    10. REFLECTIONS

The most successful post-Ross lp was RIGHT ON at No. 16. The most successful Supremes lp with Scherrie Payne was HIGH ENERGY at No. 22

The poorest charting Supremes lp was DYNAMITE

I assume you mean on R and B charts. Right On made it to # 25 on Top POP albums

Pop charts. Right On did make it to No.25 but only spent a few weeks in the upper reaches of the charts. Peak position is not as important as weeks toward the top of the charts

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    I assume you mean on R and B charts. Right On made it to # 25 on Top POP albums
    If he had meant r&b right on charted at #4

'High Energy' peaked at #42 not #22!

BayouMotownMan, I was confused by your statement, at first. I finally figured out that you meant that Right On was #16 [[and High Energy #22) in a listing of Supremes albums by popularity - not peak chart position.

Would it be possible for you to post your entire list of Supremes albums, at some point.

btw, I'm not surprised that Dynamite was a bomb! [[Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The Supremes charted a total of 35 lps on Billboard. These are the ten most successful:

2. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    3. SUPREMES A' GO-GO
    4. AT THE COPA
    5. MORE HITS
    6. I HEAR A SYMPHONY
    7. TCB
    9. JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS
    10. REFLECTIONS

The most successful post-Ross lp was RIGHT ON at No. 16. The most successful Supremes lp with Scherrie Payne was HIGH ENERGY at No. 22

Lists are always interesting! How was this compiled? Is it by chart position and number of weeks, or another macro such as to-date total sales?

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    'High Energy' peaked at #42 not #22!
    Copley I said that High Energy ranked No. 22 of the 35 Supremes albums that charted on the Billboard Pop lp charts

Love child

2. WHERE DID OUR LOVE GO
    3. SUPREMES A' GO-GO
    4. AT THE COPA
    5. MORE HITS
    6. I HEAR A SYMPHONY
    7. TCB
    9. JOIN THE TEMPTATIONS
    10. REFLECTIONS

the love child album peaked at #14 while reflections peakrd at #18 ? Was this list compiled by sales????

The Supremes & Four Tops album "Dynamite" contained one of my favorites of their duets, "Melodie" [[Deke Richards, Jerry Marcellino, Mel Larson)

Copley I said that High Energy ranked No. 22 of the 35 Supremes albums that charted on the Billboard Pop lp charts
    No, in your original post you said nothing about ranked!

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    No, in your original post you said nothing about ranked!
    It is mostly confusing.

One thing for sure these showings aren't based on chart positions. I thought greatest hits vol 1 and 2 was their biggest charting album on the top 200 album charts and the top r&b charts

Also since a go go and the TCB soundtrack also peaked at # 1 that they would bev2 and 3?on the list

Dang, y'all that confused by this? Lol

"The Supremes charted a total of 35 lps on Billboard. These are the ten most successful"

I assume any list ranking Billboard items as successful would take into account sales, chart position, and weeks on chart. Doesn't seem that complicated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    One thing for sure these showings aren't based on chart positions. I thought greatest hits vol 1 and 2 was their biggest charting album on the top 200 album charts and the top r&b charts
    It is based entirely on the charts and the album you are referring to IS the No. 1 all time best charting Supremes lp. The lp is simply titled DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES GREATEST HITS, vol 1 & 2 is not in the actual title.

So many people are under the misconception that the higher a release gets on the charts the more popular it is. If a song or an album is No. 1 it only means it was the most popular THAT WEEK.

It is duration at the top of the charts that really measures the popularity of that single or lp.

Billboard uses an inverted pyramid for a release to accumulate points, starting at position 200 which is assigned one point all the way to the Number one position that is assigned 200 points. If an album debuts at No. 200 it gets one point. If it moves up to position 199 it gets 2 points for a total of 3 points. Billboard uses this formula each year to get the top 100 charts songs and albums for its year end issue.

Also, in the 60s sales was only part of what charted a release. Radio requests and juke box plays also played into it. In 1973 Billboard then went more into sales as actual reported numbers became more reliable.

In 1966 Motown had three No. 1 records that year. Reach Out I'll Be There, You Can't Hurry Love and You Keep Me Hangin On. But the most successful chart single that year was Jimmy Ruffin's What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted. It peaked at No. 7 and was in the upper reaches of the charts several weeks longer than the three No. 1's. Same thing in 1967. Gladys had that years biggest Billboard Motown single with I Heard It Through The Grapevine which peaked at No. 2. While Love Is Here and The Happening were No. 1s they debuted high, raced to No. 1 then sank like a stone. Neither hit was on the charts a full three months, but Grapevine spent over 4 months on the upper charts therefore accumulating more points.

The fallacy of Billboards pyramid formula is that it was all done manually and in order to have the year-end charts ready for its late Dec issue each year, the cut off date was Nov. 1. This is why monster hits like Baby Love, Come See About Me, Gaye's Grapevine, Love Child and so many more are not represented properly in Billboard's year end charts, because their chart life started in one year but carried over to the following year thus dividing the points over two years.

However in my compilations there is no deadline so the charting accurately reflect the success of all releases.

This may be complicated for some who want to believe their favorite song or lp is not represented as THEY think it should be. In doing this I learned a lot of things. For instance, the Miracles charted a lot of single and lps, but they were mostly a hit and miss performer on the pop charts, did better on the soul charts. Same thing for Ross as a soloist in the 70s. She'd have a good chart year, then two bad ones, another good year, then three bad ones, etc.

Great thread. Makes sense that duration on the charts [[especially in the upper ranks) would be key to overall performance. I have that Billboard #1 book and it also lists out the top 5 for each entry. Of course if a song is number 1 for several weeks you can't tell what changes r happening within the top five. But I looked at the supremes releases between Where and Back. The girls were in the Top 5 for something like 30+ weeks out of that period. That's huge

It all depends on your perspective as to what is a bigger hit.
    e.g. a #1 record selling 500k or a record reaching #4 but selling say 700k?

Probably most would regard the #1 hit as "bigger" but I'm sure the record company wouldn't agree!

I have always thought a song reaching the #1 meant that it had sold a million copies but obviously that is not true.
    and Billboards sales are different than that of Cashbox where as there charts were based on sales on while Billboard took into consideration airplay, jukebox plays etc.
    very interesting. thanks for clearing that up