[REMOVE ADS]

Why was there no Stevie Wonder "Gold" compilation?

I was just looking at some of the 2 CD Gold compilations that were released by Universal and most of the big Motown artists/groups were featured in this series. However I noticed that Stevie Wonder was omitted from this series. Anyone know why? Does he have more of a direct hand in his back catalogue and therefore is able to permit/deny certain releases? I feel that his catalogue has been treated differently over the years, as we have not seen expanded editions and the like, as we have with other Motown artists. Obviously there has to be some sort of legalities?

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    I was just looking at some of the 2 CD Gold compilations that were released by Universal and most of the big Motown artists/groups were featured in this series. However I noticed that Stevie Wonder was omitted from this series. Anyone know why? Does he have more of a direct hand in his back catalogue and therefore is able to permit/deny certain releases? I feel that his catalogue has been treated differently over the years, as we have not seen expanded editions and the like, as we have with other Motown artists. Obviously there has to be some sort of legalities?
    My guess he would have more control over his back catalogue beginning in 1972 and beyond. It would make sense for Universal to release his 60s hits as a part of the "Gold" series as Stevie was one of Motown's best sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by carlo View Post
    Stevie has 100% control over what can and cannot be released. There was a double cd compilation of his work released around 10-15 years ago, but it wasn't part of the Gold series, but it was a wonderful overview of his career. I think it was called the Definitive Collection.

Stevie Wonder does have a set called The Definitive Collection that came out in Japan in 2003. Two CD collection with 39 tracks that span his career from the '60s thru the '80s. And as Bluebrock pointed out in his post, Stevie has the control over what Motown/UMe can release from his catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    Stevie Wonder does have a set called The Definitive Collection that came out in Japan in 2003. Two CD collection with 39 tracks that span his career from the '60s thru the '80s. And as Bluebrock pointed out in his post, Stevie has the control over what Motown/UMe can release from his catalog.

My UK copy has a different cover but the same tracklisting. It is a "wonderful" 😅 overview of his work for the casual fan.

A. The legalities, Stevie owning 1972+ thing. Which is probably why, when there was the "20th Century Masters" and "Icon" compilations of Stevie Wonder's hits, they were his top tens, 1963-1971.

B. Stevie Wonder's catalog of greats cannot all be contained in one CD, two CDs, not even four CDs, as from looking at the tracklist of "At the Close of The Century", it could still use more sixties. And I'm talking not just his A sides, but great B sides, and just as memorable album tracks from the sixties to as recent as the noughties. Maybe eight CDs can do the trick.
    Last edited by Ngroove; 10-08-2017 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    My UK copy has a different cover but the same tracklisting. It is a "wonderful" 😅 overview of his work for the casual fan.

Hey Bluebrock, is it this one? It’s a great cover

Name:  758F0318-BB1F-49E1-85BF-0E4E724427E9.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  10.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey Bluebrock, is it this one? It’s a great cover

Name:  758F0318-BB1F-49E1-85BF-0E4E724427E9.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  10.8 KB
    Yes. That is the one Tom!

Thanks guys. I have the Definitive Collection but mine is a single disc version. I did not realize that there was a two disc version released in Japan and the UK. I have At the Close of the Century and it is a great compilation of his work. I figured the answer was due to his control over his catalogue. Thank you all for confirming

Stevie definitely controlled what gets released as compilations. At the Close of the Century was one of Stevie's latest hits sets that included virtually every song from each decade of his career up until then [[1999).