[REMOVE ADS]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You can check back issues of Goldmine 2008
    Last edited by luke; 10-06-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    You can check back issues of Goldmine 2008
    If you said it's there it shouldn't be a problem for you to pull it

I know what it says thanks.

[QUOTE=marv2;417767]Yep and here is where Mary Wilson says it in an interview with David Nathan:

David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

"Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean."

Say what?

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes she did. I read it as well.
    Lolololololololol

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Marv Cindy never said that. But Lynda did claim she signed a solo contract around fall 1971
    There's no way Lynda signed in 1971. Cindy didn't get pregnant until February 1972 and prior to that had no intention of leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    There's no way Lynda signed in 1971. Cindy didn't get pregnant until February 1972 and prior to that had no intention of leaving.
    I know that. Just stating what she claimed. Didn't said I believed her lol.

It's all good. I just wish she'd stop pushing that. I think she says it as a way to make her sound like she was in the group longer than she was. Then again, who knows.

You kinda twisted what you claimed. Please point out in the article on what Cindy said, not what Mary said. And just to be clear, no one is disputing Lynda was there for a short time.

I didn't claim anything. Read my posts again. Cindy Birdsong made that statement in a interview that was at one time posted on this forum. It's out there some where......go find it!

Quote Originally Posted by bradsupremes View Post
    Brad, you are exactly right. There are photos of Mary, Cindy and Jean on tour in the U.K. dated November 1971. There are audio clips of their appearance on The Merv Griffin Show in January 1972. I read the recording dates for the entire "Floy Joy" album along with the personnel. They did not complete the recording of the album until early 1972. Lynda's not on the album.....just the cover.

David, Cindy's son was born in October of 1972. There is no way Cindy could anticipate getting pregnant as far back as 1971 hehehehehehehe!

I stated what Cindy Birdsong claimed, yet you seem to have a problem with what she said.

You kinda twisted what you claimed. Please point out in the article on what Cindy said, not what Mary said. And just to be clear, no one is disputing Lynda was there for a short time.
    It was the interview Cindy did in "Touch of Classic Soul magazine" January 2008. Not Goldmine.

Lynda must have had a really special contract that was only approx. 18 months long. [[April 1972 - August 1973) or until October 1973 if you believe she was with the group until then.

This is nothing new since Marv is little more than a mouthpiece for his idol Mary Wilson. As one can see from reading this article that Mary has ways of playing with the truth. She didn't know why Jean left? She knew very well, Jean didn't bite her tongue.

The Lynda Laurence being a temp Supreme fable was started by Mary Wilson as an attempt at damage control since Jean and Lynda left Mary high and dry in late 1973. Mary presented this idea to the Supremes fan club president who refused to go along with it because he felt nobody would believe...and nobody does. For whatever reason Mary still perpetuates this to fuel the anger she has felt toward Lynda since this period. After losing her lawsuit to Karen Raagland Mary has taken shots at all the 70s ladies, except Cindy and maybe Susaye in an effort to diminish their roles in the group's history.

Lynda Laurence was signed to Motown like all the other ladies, as a soloist and was assigned to being in the Supremes replacing Cindy Birdsong. Cindy was leaving to start a family. Common sense would tell us that Cindy could perform as a Supreme well into her 7th month, as Mary did, had she wanted to maintain her position in the group. But Cindy left with no intention of returning.

Also adding confusion to this, when Cindy did agree to return, Mary announced via fan club that Cindy was returning TEMPORARILY until Mary could find two suitable singers. Cindy had filled in once before for Jean in Hawaii and then again in NYC. After meeting Scherrie and the three ladies hitting it off, Cindy decided she would stay permanently.

Lynda Laurence joined the Supremes for what was intended to be a permanent position. When she met Pedro Ferrar and discovered that Mary was going to put him in charge of the group, Lynda wisely backed away.

I loved every grouping of Supremes and am even friends with most of them. They are in their 70s now and whatever animosities between them have eased off...in most cases. Fans of the group can have their favorite individual members but doing it at the expense of another member of the group is so petty. Marv continues to be good at this even when others point out the discrepancies in most of his vitriolic "reporting."

Here great pic and memory: Florence Ballard, Cindy Birdsong, Scherrie Payne and Mary Wilson on stage in 1974:

Name:  Florence on stage with Mary, Cindy and Scherrie.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  70.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    This is nothing new since Marv is little more than a mouthpiece for his idol Mary Wilson. As one can see from reading this article that Mary has ways of playing with the truth. She didn't know why Jean left? She knew very well, Jean didn't bite her tongue.

The Lynda Laurence being a temp Supreme fable was started by Mary Wilson as an attempt at damage control since Jean and Lynda left Mary high and dry in late 1973. Mary presented this idea to the Supremes fan club president who refused to go along with it because he felt nobody would believe...and nobody does. For whatever reason Mary still perpetuates this to fuel the anger she has felt toward Lynda since this period. After losing her lawsuit to Karen Raagland Mary has taken shots at all the 70s ladies, except Cindy and maybe Susaye in an effort to diminish their roles in the group's history.

Lynda Laurence was signed to Motown like all the other ladies, as a soloist and was assigned to being in the Supremes replacing Cindy Birdsong. Cindy was leaving to start a family. Common sense would tell us that Cindy could perform as a Supreme well into her 7th month, as Mary did, had she wanted to maintain her position in the group. But Cindy left with no intention of returning.

Also adding confusion to this, when Cindy did agree to return, Mary announced via fan club that Cindy was returning TEMPORARILY until Mary could find two suitable singers. Cindy had filled in once before for Jean in Hawaii and then again in NYC. After meeting Scherrie and the three ladies hitting it off, Cindy decided she would stay permanently.

Lynda Laurence joined the Supremes for what was intended to be a permanent position. When she met Pedro Ferrar and discovered that Mary was going to put him in charge of the group, Lynda wisely backed away.

I loved every grouping of Supremes and am even friends with most of them. They are in their 70s now and whatever animosities between them have eased off...in most cases. Fans of the group can have their favorite individual members but doing it at the expense of another member of the group is so petty. Marv continues to be good at this even when others point out the discrepancies in most of his vitriolic "reporting."
    Hold up a sec, I may not agree with what he said or what you just said but don't single him out when there are plenty of Diana fans that do the same thing but rarely gets called out. Second, as it turned out Lynda tenure with the supremes was temporarily. Third I'm always amazed when some on here blame Pedro for why Lynda left when he didn't take charge for for over a year and a half .

Hold up a sec, I may not agree with what he said or what you just said but don't single him out when there are plenty of Diana fans that do the same thing but rarely gets called out. Second, as it turned out Lynda tenure with the supremes was temporarily. Third I'm always amazed when some on here blame Pedro for why Lynda left when he didn't take charge for for over a year and a half .
    wasn’t there some sort disagreement or issue between Jean and Lynda?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    wasn’t there some sort disagreement or issue between Jean and Lynda?
    No Jean and Lynda were tight, both practicing Jehovah Witness's which they still are to this day.

Pedro Ferrer was on Mary's payroll long before he was officially the group's manager. He initially was their road manager but he had enormous influence over Mary's decisions. Mary told Lynda it was her [[Mary's) intention to give control of the group to Pedro since no one at Motown was interested.

Lynda and Jean had convinced Mary in mid 1972 to give Motown one more year to come up with better material and promotion for the group. If after that year Motown had not done so, then they would leave Motown and go to another label with a new name. When the year was up Mary backed out of that agreement. Jean announced her departure before Pedro starting coming around, Lynda after.

I have to agree with BayMotownman, Lynda was never a temp, Mary and her camp,had to come up with a good reason,why she left,so soon,so the temp thing,seem like a good idea,a lot has happen since then, maybe fans forgot.Believe me people, Motown would have never recorded Lynda with The Suprerems,had she not had a contract,with them,and they would have never put her face,on a album cover,had she not been signed,by Motown to The Supremes,so Lynda being in The Supremes temp,and waiting for Cindy to return, is just a fantasy,but here's another side,the people at Motown didn't want Lynda,but Mary went out her way,for Lynda,and Motown gave in,and sign Lynda,yes it was Mary,she got Lynda her contract at Motown,as a Supreme,and that's a fact.
    Last edited by REDHOT; 10-08-2017 at 05:42 PM.

Mary did,what she had to do,it's called Damage Control,saying that Lynda was a temp,looked like only Jean Left,in reality,they both left,yes Mary had to deal with a lot of things,it's all Show Business,it's a business that Jean didn't like at all,and it had nothing to do with Mary or Motown,The Supremes could have had a number 1 hit, Jean would have still left The Supremes and Motown,in reality,left Show Business.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    No Jean and Lynda were tight, both practicing Jehovah Witness's which they still are to this day.

Pedro Ferrer was on Mary's payroll long before he was officially the group's manager. He initially was their road manager but he had enormous influence over Mary's decisions. Mary told Lynda it was her [[Mary's) intention to give control of the group to Pedro since no one at Motown was interested.

Lynda and Jean had convinced Mary in mid 1972 to give Motown one more year to come up with better material and promotion for the group. If after that year Motown had not done so, then they would leave Motown and go to another label with a new name. When the year was up Mary backed out of that agreement. Jean announced her departure before Pedro starting coming around, Lynda after.
    Thank you for always being the voice of reason and for sharing your knowlledge with us.

Fondly,

Roberta

I remember being told that Lynda was the 1st Supreme to have an attorney present when she signed her contract.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    I remember being told that Lynda was the 1st Supreme to have an attorney present when she signed her contract.
    Which makes Lynda also the 1st Supreme to have some real street smarts!

... and it's doubtful, too, that Florence would have been asked back while Mary was on the scene. It's known that with Diana having the star power and Florence the voice and humor Mary was left as pretty much 'the other one'. Remember that right after Florence's departure Mary featured that blonde wig which lots of us thought was a show of disrespect to 'Blondie' - as if Mary was claiming Florence's place in the group after the inclusion of the wildly popular Cindy Birdsong eclipsed Mary once again.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    This has always been in my mind, but I always had the sense that Lynda handled the business of the FLOS, much like Otis does for the Temps. Does anyone know?

That's how we Philly people roll!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    That's how we Philly people roll!
    Love it!

... and it's doubtful, too, that Florence would have been asked back while Mary was on the scene. It's known that with Diana having the star power and Florence the voice and humor Mary was left as pretty much 'the other one'. Remember that right after Florence's departure Mary featured that blonde wig which lots of us thought was a show of disrespect to 'Blondie' - as if Mary was claiming Florence's place in the group after the inclusion of the wildly popular Cindy Birdsong eclipsed Mary once again.
    Yeah right if you want to believe that more power to you

Yeah right if you want to believe that more power to you
    Agree! Just another thinly veiled attempt to denigrate the Quesential Supreme, Miss Mary Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Agree! Just another thinly veiled attempt to denigrate the Quesential Supreme, Miss Mary Wilson.
    That is all it is.......LOL!!!

I think this may have worked for a special engagement here and there....but as a full time grouping I don't think Flo and Jean would have gotten along considering what I read about the temperament and patterns of both....its been said that Jean doesn't like dealing with the business end of being a performer...and judging from the way she drops in and out of the active performing realm she isn't interested in working all the time. Some folks just want to work, and go home. Jean may be one of them. Not everyone is a road hound and can handle years of touring, being busy constantly except for short breaks and having limited control over personal / down / family time....a career can come second to that...even one as glamorous as we imagine for a Supreme

Quote Originally Posted by gman View Post
    I think this may have worked for a special engagement here and there....but as a full time grouping I don't think Flo and Jean would have gotten along considering what I read about the temperament and patterns of both....its been said that Jean doesn't like dealing with the business end of being a performer...and judging from the way she drops in and out of the active performing realm she isn't interested in working all the time. Some folks just want to work, and go home. Jean may be one of them. Not everyone is a road hound and can handle years of touring, being busy constantly except for short breaks and having limited control over personal / down / family time....a career can come second to that...even one as glamorous as we imagine for a Supreme
    Very good observation and summation Gman.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    This has always been in my mind, but I always had the sense that Lynda handled the business of the FLOS, much like Otis does for the Temps. Does anyone know?
    I read an interview quote somewhere from Scherrie and Lynda saying that Lynda was the business brains and Scherrie the heart and soul. Not sure who is the brains now that Lynda has left.

if Jean decides to do something, hopefully we will be made aware of it here. If it is outside of LA or NY or Vegas it will most likely be handled with a lot less fanfare, most likely a lot quieter. And those events tend to come and go before we who can and would like to have an opportunity to support them even know about them. At least we know she's been comfortable showing up for some Supremes related events

It could be true because:

1. By late '75/early '76, Florence was looking for a comeback chance, Cindy wanted to be out of The Supremes [[she left late February '76) and Jean was searching about a contract with another label, and she took her spot in '78 while on A&M.

2. Florence met Jean in 71' and they sort of liked each other, since Mary Wilson always said that Jean was kinda Florence type of personality.

3. Cindy and Jean eventually got together w/ Scherrie Payne in the mid 80s' to perform as the FLOS, even though Cindy was replaced by Lynda afterwards.

4. In one of Mary's books she said that Jean wanted the girls to leave Motown with her by mid '73 because the label didn't want to promote them anymore.

5. By the last months before her death, Florence Ballard was NOT unable to perform. She got a studio in her basement, has had a concert with Deadly Nightshade in July [[which she received a standing ovation), and most important, she was getting herself together, trying to lose weight, going to alcoholics anonymous sessions, drinking less, doing interviews...

They really could get together and be a new group, just like the FLOS