[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Flo, Cindy & Jean group?

I read on Former Ladies Wikipedia page that this was a possibility in 1976 but Didn’t happen as Flo died. Has anyone ever heard this? I’m assuming fake news.

Yes it was reported in Jet Magazine around the time following Florence's death.

I have a hard time believing this was actually going to happen. After all that happened with Jean leaving the Supremes, it doesn't seem like something she'd want to throw herself back into. Plus how would it look to have a grouping of former Supremes going up against the current Supremes lineup. I can't say Mary would have been too pleased.

Jet Magazine May 20, 1976 pg 42

People Are Taking About ... [[final entry on pg)

The unpublished report that the late Florence Ballard and two other ex-Supremes, Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell had planned to "debut" as another trio. Close associates say Florence was trying to get herself together for the team but lost the time race with death. Temporarily set back, Cindy and Jean still plan to return to showbiz with another singer and are looking for another manager and record
    company.

Geoff Brown

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post

People Are Taking About ... [[final entry on pg)

The unpublished report that the late Florence Ballard and two other ex-Supremes, Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell had planned to "debut" as another trio. Close associates say Florence was trying to get herself together for the team but lost the time race with death. Temporarily set back, Cindy and Jean still plan to return to showbiz with another singer and are looking for another manager and record
    company.

Geoff Brown
    Thank you luckyluckyme.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post

The unpublished report that the late Florence Ballard and two other ex-Supremes, Cindy Birdsong and Jean Terrell had planned to "debut" as another trio.
    Wasn't that what Jean wanted towards the end of her tenure with the Supremes? To go to a different label using a different name? It wouldn't surprise me that these ladies would have attempted to team up. It would make sense that Jean would then go off and record her solo album, released in 1978.

Very interesting. Odd it’s never been mentioned in any book about Flo or Supremes or Motown.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Very interesting. Odd it’s never been mentioned in any book about Flo or Supremes or Motown.
    There are MANY things that were not mentioned in books that is known fact. You just can't share it here! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There are MANY things that were not mentioned in books that is known fact. You just can't share it here! LOL!!!
    Sure you can. A question was asked, and you answered it AND supplied the source. Another person was then able to find the source and posted it here. We read it and that's that.

That is what we were asking you to do in the other thread. A simple request and simple to do - unless fake, made up or simply one poster's opinion of a rumor that can not be substantiated.

Thank you

I read the same thing Marv did about Florence. This is not a court of law.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    Sure you can. A question was asked, and you answered it AND supplied the source. Another person was then able to find the source and posted it here. We read it and that's that.

That is what we were asking you to do in the other thread. A simple request and simple to do - unless fake, made up or simply one poster's opinion of a rumor that can not be substantiated.

Thank you
    I don't ask others to do so out of respect and I am not going to do so. I am not getting paid to go out researching things that I already KNOW as true and as FACT. I share barely 30% of what I know regarding these subjects here, but that is about all I will share. There are many things I cannot talk about, but I know what's up. Thanks!

Exactly. I do not care if any of them believe me or not. That means nothing to me. The truth means everything!

Then provide a link please?

Quote Originally Posted by Roberta75 View Post
    Then provide a link please?
    I have butter for your popcorn.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    I have butter for your popcorn.
    lolololololol.

I don't ask others to do so out of respect and I am not going to do so. I am not getting paid to go out researching things that I already KNOW as true and as FACT.....
    No one asked you to do the research. In this post, someone asked a question. You answered it and said where it was reported. We were then able to do the research if we wanted to.

While I believe that this was reported somewhere, I find it highly implausible any of these three ladies actually considered this. Take Flo, for example. It's been clearly documented she had no interest in performing professionally ever again in the seventies - she refused to sing at Disney, turned down apparent offers for appearances and contracts...she mustered up enough courage for the 1975 show in Detroit, but that's it. Besides, Florence had very minimal connection with Jean and had long been gone from the Supremes by the time Jean even started. I would chock this up to fantasy gossip.

Sounds like a nice idea anyway but maybe a source of wrangling between Flo and Jean over who got "top billing". Now there was a suggestion at one stage that Brenda Holloway should join The Supremes........ what would that have been like?
    Last edited by mysterysinger; 10-03-2017 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milven View Post
    No one asked you to do the research. In this post, someone asked a question. You answered it and said where it was reported. We were then able to do the research if we wanted to.

I'm just letting you know I'm not doing it! This forum use to be such fun and we had knowledgeable people that shared interesting information and now we have what we have today!

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    While I believe that this was reported somewhere, I find it highly implausible any of these three ladies actually considered this. Take Flo, for example. It's been clearly documented she had no interest in performing professionally ever again in the seventies - she refused to sing at Disney, turned down apparent offers for appearances and contracts...she mustered up enough courage for the 1975 show in Detroit, but that's it. Besides, Florence had very minimal connection with Jean and had long been gone from the Supremes by the time Jean even started. I would chock this up to fantasy gossip.
    Florence had set up a rehearsal area in her basement. She was preparing herself for a comeback to the stage and records when she died unexpectedly. Oh and by the way, that Benefit Concert for Joan Little she sang at was a success and Flo was basking in the applause she received it has been reported from those who were there.

The magazine blurb acknowledged that this was an "unpublished report" which resonates as heresay.

It's highly unlikely that this happened for many reasons.

Jean Terrell was approached by Richard Perry to record for him as a duo with Lynda Laurence in 1974. Initially she was interested and then backed out. The following year, Ron Towson approached Jean to replace Marilyn McCoo in The 5th Dimension. Again Jean declined saying she didn't want to be in a group situation. She was already signed with Bobby Martin and Tentmakers who was shopping Jean's demos to record labels as a soloist. Philly International and A&M were both interested. She went with A&M

Throughout most, if not all of 1976, Cindy was still signed to Motown.

Both Jean and Cindy were aware of Flo's drinking problem and her emotional instability. I therefore doubt they would have wanted to take that on.

Florence had set up a rehearsal area in her basement. She was preparing herself for a comeback to the stage and records when she died unexpectedly. Oh and by the way, that Benefit Concert for Joan Little she sang at was a success and Flo was basking in the applause she received it has been reported from those who were there.
    Marv you are rIght. A co-worker from Detroit who was also singer rehearsed/practiced with Flo in the basement. She would tear up whenever she tried to speak abt those rehearsals. And yes, the timing coincides with your timing. BTW the singer sang with a fairly popular band out of New York.

Flo Jean and Cindy would give Scherrie Mary Susaye a run for their money

I call bullshit on this story. It took Flo awhile to decide to do the benefit concert and I do believe it was that show that reminded Flo that her place was on the stage and she was on her way to a comeback. Jack Ashford says that he and Flo talked about doing something together but the plans never materialized. Diana Ross says that in her last conversation with Flo that Flo said she was ready to get back into singing. If not for that heart attack, Florence Ballard would have most certainly added to her musical legacy. But there is no way in hell I buy that either she or Jean were interested in a group situation, not with one another or anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by BayouMotownMan View Post
    The magazine blurb acknowledged that this was an "unpublished report" which resonates as heresay.

Jean Terrell was approached by Richard Perry to record for him as a duo with Lynda Laurence in 1974. Initially she was interested and then backed out. The following year, Ron Towson approached Jean to replace Marilyn McCoo in The 5th Dimension. Again Jean declined saying she didn't want to be in a group situation. She was already signed with Bobby Martin and Tentmakers who was shopping Jean's demos to record labels as a soloist. Philly International and A&M were both interested. She went with A&M

Both Jean and Cindy were aware of Flo's drinking problem and her emotional instability. I therefore doubt they would have wanted to take that on.
    And here we have the voice of reason folks and providing facts.

thank you BayouMotownMan.
    Last edited by Roberta75; 10-03-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    Flo Jean and Cindy would give Scherrie Mary Susaye a run for their money
    I agree if only because with MSS you had three lead singers trying to out sing each other, very little cohesiveness. Cindy would never try to out sing someone and with Flo having found her alto range [[I personally think Flo was a natural alto who could sing soprano even back in the Supremes days) I think she would have provided a great blend with Cindy's soft soprano and Jean's high soprano. I could see the three of them doing the stuff the Pointer Sisters were doing. I also could see the group not lasting very long between Florence and Jean's egos and with no one to keep them in check.

If I'm correct she was under contract til 1978

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    If I'm correct she was under contract til 1978
    Very close blackguy69. Cindy Birdsong was under contract to Motown through to the end of 1977.

I never said it wasn't a success. That is well reported. But I've never seen anything about the rehearsal area. Not saying it can't be true, but I don't ever remember reading anything about that. All I'm saying is that there doesn't appear to be any plausible evidence to correlate this particular story of Flo teaming up with Cindy and Jean. A nice story, but this has all the makings of media gossip.

Makes the most sense of the various theories and I think the Fifth Dimension invitation is accepted at fact. But as usual with some of our posters here sensible explanations do not support the various conspiracy agendas.

Makes the most sense of the various theories and I think the Fifth Dimension invitation is accepted at fact. But as usual with some of our posters here sensible explanations do not support the various conspiracy theories/agendas or victimization narratives.

Very close blackguy69. Cindy Birdsong was under contract to Motown through to the end of 1977.
    That would be the case if they signed in 73 or only had a 3 year contract. You forget that they resigned around may 1974 and since their contracts have been a 4 year contract , that would put them expiring around may 1978

That would be the case if they signed in 73 or only had a 3 year contract. You forget that they resigned around may 1974 and since their contracts have been a 4 year contract , that would put them expiring around may 1978
    As I recall the ladies, Mary, Cindy and Scherrie, signed Motown recording contracts very late in 1974, like Nov or Dec and started recording with Ivey and Woodward before the year ended

As I recall the ladies, Mary, Cindy and Scherrie, signed Motown recording contracts very late in 1974, like Nov or Dec and started recording with Ivey and Woodward before the year ended
    I knew they signed in 74 but I thought it was around the time Mary had gotten married

"ladies and gentlemen: together again , for the first time ever !"

I remember reading in jet about it in 74 that flo was to join lynda and jean to form the flos initially not cindy

Lol. How bout Susaye, Barbara and Jean?!

Well, I am just going by what Cindy Birdsong said and she said that when she left to have her baby in 1972 that she was always suppose to come back and that she had a contract and the new girl didn't. She also said that she was under contract to Motown till the end of 1977. That is what she said.

I knew they signed in 74 but I thought it was around the time Mary had gotten married
    Mary was married in May of 1974.

Lol. How bout Susaye, Barbara and Jean?!
    I don't think that would have worked. LOL!!!!

I believe someone,put that out,and some fans ran with it,i never believed it,first of all Florence lived in Detroit,Cindy and Jean lived in LA,i just don't believe Florence wanted,to come back to show business,and a group with Jean Terrell and Cindy Birdsong,would never work,as a fan,we'd love it,but in reality ? no way.

Well, I am just going by what Cindy Birdsong said and she said that when she left to have her baby in 1972 that she was always suppose to come back and that she had a contract and the new girl didn't. She also said that she was under contract to Motown till the end of 1977. That is what she said.
    Hi Marv:
    Are you saying that Lynda was not contracted as a Supreme?

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv:
    I think marv has it slightly mixed up. I think this was discussed before in the past. If I'm correct, starting when the girls first signed in 61, they always had 4 year contracts . They signed in 61 and renewed in 65 and 69. Now if I'm correct Flo got out of her contract in 68 but I'm guessing Cindy must've had a temporary contract from spring of 67 to Jan 69. I'm sure when Diana and Mary renewed in 69, Cindy signed one as well. Jean mentioned that when she signed in 69 she had a separate contract since Mary and Cindy were already signed. Cindy was still under contract as a supreme when she was on leave at the time Lynda came on board. The nature of her contract I don't know but I'm guessing she was signed separately as well. Mary and Cindy's contracts were up Jan 1973 and wasn't renewed that quickly. When scherrie came on she didn't have a contract so they performed without til sometime between may 1974 to around November when they signed a 4 year contract . Not sure if this is 100% correct.

Quote Originally Posted by detmotownguy View Post
    Hi Marv:
    No I'm not saying that. Cindy Birdsong said it.

No I'm not saying that. Cindy Birdsong said it.
    Marv Cindy never said that. But Lynda did claim she signed a solo contract around fall 1971

Marv Cindy never said that. But Lynda did claim she signed a solo contract around fall 1971
    Cindy Birdsong said exactly what I quoted in an interview with Goldmine Magazine.

Yes she did. I read it as well.

Yes she did. I read it as well.
    Yep and here is where Mary Wilson says it in an interview with David Nathan:

David Nathan's 1974 Interview with Mary Wilson on Changes Within the Supremes

Home|A-Z Artist Pages |The Soul Music.com Store|Soul Music.com Records|David Nathan's Pages|Dedicated To Soul Radio Show

Soul Music Archives
    SOUL MUSIC PODCASTS
    SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES
    SOUL MUSIC TRACKS & VIDEOS
    Motown 50th AnniversarySoul Talkin'
    Soul Jones Blog
    Soul Talkin' [[Editorial)
    Express Yourself! Appreciation Features
    Soul Music Tributes
    David Nathan On Twitter & FacebookReviews
    CD & DVD Reviews
    Concert & Festival ReviewsJoin the Soul Music.com Mailing List!
    Receive site updates on classic R&B/soul music and site additions at Soul Music.com and The Soul Music Store!

By David Nathan
    Copyright [[c) 2010 by David Nathan/Soul Music.com
    Home > SOUL MUSIC INTERVIEWS & FEATURES > Classic Interviews & Features > CLASSIC FEATURE: The Supremes 1974 Interview

PERHAPS MORE than any other female group around today, The Supremes have undergone what seem like almost regular personnel changes and to my mind, it's quite amazing that the institution as such, still exists. Kicking off, with the departure of Florence Ballard, then, of course Diana Ross, the group has tried to retain the success formula that once put them way above all their competitors.

But what with these internal changes, the departure of the Holland/Dozier/Holland team and what appears to be some confusion as to which direction the group should head, their success – or at least chart success – has been severly restricted of late. Now comes the news of yet more changes and David Nathan got the chance to check out with Mary Wilson, the only remaining original Supreme, exactly what's been happening...

"Well, let me explain. Cindy Birdsong has come back into the group, having had a baby and she's now back permanently. Linda [[Laurence) was only brought in on a temporary basis anyway, just to take over from Cindy. Jean Terrell just resigned from the group – I really can't tell you why because I don't know – she just left. Anyway, we now have Sherrie Payne [[Freda's sister) to replace Jean.

"How did we manage to find her? Well, Lamont Dozier heard that we were looking for a new Supreme a few months back and he knew that Sherrie was unhappy being with The Glasshouse so he suggested we might like to get together. She's now been with us for some three months and everything seems to be working out well."

With all these constant changes, I asked Mary if she ever got tired and considered just giving it all up. "No, never!" was her swift and indignant reply. She qualified it further.

"Sure I get tired with all the comings and goings but I'd never consider going solo. The Supremes mean too much to me and to so many people that I wouldn't even dream about just quitting altogether. No, I've never even thought about making it on my own!"

Mary did admit that the group have been going through a pretty rough patch chartwise and she explained: "We were all very disappointed that 'Bad Weather' didn't make it and we really don't know why. I personally thought it had all the right ingredients for a hit but we've been told that one of the problems these days is that unless you're on the charts consistently, a lot of radio stations just won't give you a chance."

"The fact is that we haven't had a big chart record for a long time now so that may have been one of the reasons why no one really got onto that single. But, you know, it's a totally concentrated effort and it really is a matter of coming up with right material at the right time. A lot of hard work goes into coming up with the right record and finding the right producer. Since 'Bad Weather' we haven't recorded anything with anyone but we expect to be starting back into the studios very shortly."

Any suggestion that possibly the girls might be behind the times is almost totally rejected since Mary feels that the public expects certain things from The Supremes and it's very hard for the group to move off into a totally different direction. She concedes that not having had a big hit record may have lost the group some of its followers and she does feel that a big hit would bring a whole new audience to the girls.

"However, we are well aware that there are still many people who have been with us from the beginning and are still with us – and we really appreciate them."

Mary revealed that she doesn't expect The Supremes to undergo many major changes as far as their act is concerned and she says that with the return of Cindy and the arrival of Sherrie, there will be more sharing of the lead singer's task. "Both Sherrie and I will be sharing lead and Cindy will gradually be doing that too. In fact all of us will be doing a little of our own thing in the future on stage."

On a completely personal level, Miss Wilson is no longer Miss Wilson – since she was married several weeks back to a young gentleman she met in Puerto Rico, Mr. Pedro Ferrez. What happened? "We just met and fell in love!" was the straight answer I got to a pretty dumb question! Mary said that she digs being married since "all my friends have got married now – Diana, Cindy and so on. I guess it's about time for me." She intends to start up a family in due course and the girls' future schedule is being planned to ensure that they have sufficient time at home with their families.

On the subject of coming over to this country, Mary said that there had been plans for the girls to make it during April but the energy crisis had put paid to that. "We do expect to get back around September. In the meantime, please say 'hi' to everyone from me, won't you?" No doubt, by the time we see The Supremes again, the new line-up will have established itself and hopefully they'll be returning with a hit record under their collective belts. It's surely only a matter of time before The Supremes are back on the hit track.

Click here for THE SUPREMES STORE AT SOUL MUSIC.COM for CDs, MP3s, bio, etc.

Thx Marv. Had never seen that. Good info!

You kinda twisted what you claimed. Please point out in the article on what Cindy said, not what Mary said. And just to be clear, no one is disputing Lynda was there for a short time.