[REMOVE ADS]

Live Tracks You Wish Had a Studio Version

What songs have you heard Motown artists do live [[either live audio or in person) that they never recorded [[as far as we know) that you wish there was a studio version counterpart?

I love the Temptations live version of "I Wish You Love" from the Temptations Live album in 1967. I love the song no matter who sings it [[Joe Bataan's version is my favorite) but it's especially thrilling to hear one of my favorite groups do it, and with Eddie, one of my favorite voices of all time, singing the lead.

Jean Terrell's live version of "He Aint Heavy, He's My Brother" is dope. She should've been given studio time to record her interpretation.

Why Motown didn't send Marvin into the studio to record "You Are My Sunshine" as he did on his first live album is a mystery.

The Supremes sang "Let There Be Love" so beautifully live that there really should have been a studio version.

Marvin Gaye, my favorite male singer period, sang one of my favorite songs of all time "Strangers In the Night" at the Copa in 1966. I would love to hear what kind of arrangement he would've worked with if he had recorded the song in the studio.

I love "Happy" by Michael Jackson and always thought that Diana Ross would have been great for the song too. Supposedly she did a live version during the recording of the Caesar's Palace live album in 74 that didn't make the cut and then she inserted it into a medley during a show in 1994, which was good. Even though I haven't heard the 1974 version I'm including it on my list because I'm going to take a gamble and say I'll love it, therefore I would like a studio version as well.

To pad out the subject and open it up to more possibilities, how about including songs that did have a studio version but the way the song was presented live [[be it the vocal approach, the musical arrangement, etc) made you wish that the recorded version had taken the same approach.

What do you mean when you use the phrase 'is dope'?

Nobody Knows The Trouble I See - Martha from 'At The Copa' [[1968)

Feeling Good - Stevie from 'Stevie & Martha in Tokyo' [[1968)

Fool on the Hill - Martha from 'Live in Gaithersburg' [[1970)

MacArthur Park - Supremes [[JMC)

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    LOL, it means good, copley

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    LOL, it means good, copley
    Thanks

Although not a complete song [[just a line), I vote for "Sweetest Thing This Side of Heaven" by the Temptations on the "Live From London's Talk of the Town" LP.

Diana Ross performed RIBBON IN THE SKY during her Central Park concert and during the subsequent tour. It would have been nice to hear a studio version. In fact, based on other recordings, I think a DIANA SINGS STEVIE would be a great cd.

A studio version of DO RIGHT WOMAN by Martha and the Vandellas might be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post

Nobody Knows The Trouble I See - Martha from 'At The Copa' [[1968)

Feeling Good - Stevie from 'Stevie & Martha in Tokyo' [[1968)

Fool on the Hill - Martha from 'Live in Gaithersburg' [[1970)

MacArthur Park - Supremes [[JMC)
    I see Tom answered for me Copley. Lol

In regards to your picks, I'm unaware of most of them, but I do have JMC's "MacArthur Park" [[as well as DMC's) and it would have been an excellent choice for JMC to do in the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Although not a complete song [[just a line), I vote for "Sweetest Thing This Side of Heaven" by the Temptations on the "Live From London's Talk of the Town" LP.
    Oh man, you aint lying!! That would have been fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Diana Ross performed RIBBON IN THE SKY during her Central Park concert and during the subsequent tour. It would have been nice to hear a studio version. In fact, based on other recordings, I think a DIANA SINGS STEVIE would be a great cd.
    I've never cared for the song, but Diana did a very nice job with it during the CP show and it would have no doubt been a fine studio reading. And I agree about her doing an album of Stevie songs. Another song I've never cared for in it's original form but had to give Diana a nod for doing it was when she sang Stevie's "I Just Called to Say I Love You". It was really nice.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas doing "For Once In My Life". I love the live version. I think a studio version could have almost been definitive. I think it was the highlight of the Live album.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've never cared for the song, but Diana did a very nice job with it during the CP show and it would have no doubt been a fine studio reading. And I agree about her doing an album of Stevie songs. Another song I've never cared for in it's original form but had to give Diana a nod for doing it was when she sang Stevie's "I Just Called to Say I Love You". It was really nice.
    To be honest, I wasn't too enamored of Stevie's originals of some of these tunes. Just last week, when he started singing OVERJOYED at the Global Citizen concert, I left the room. But I love Diana's renditions of them.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas doing "For Once In My Life". I love the live version. I think a studio version could have almost been definitive. I think it was the highlight of the Live album.
    There's a studio version on the Vandellas' LOST AND FOUND collection. Near the end there's a great spot where Martha holds a note on the word "needs" for a good while.

Wish the Four Tops would've recorded Jackie DeShannon's PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART. They did it on DAVID FROST show in circa March 1970 and Ed Sullivan at the Walter Reed hospital in November 1970.

To be honest, I wasn't too enamored of Stevie's originals of some of these tunes. Just last week, when he started singing OVERJOYED at the Global Citizen concert, I left the room. But I love Diana's renditions of them.
    I love most of Stevie's stuff, but "Ribbon" just never did it for me. And I've just always found "I Just Called" to be one of the most annoying songs ever. But Diana brought something refreshing to both. Stevie's singing- from what I've seen in recent years- has devolved into riffing and running through every syllable, which I am not a fan of. However, "Overjoyed" in it's original form is one of my all time favorite songs. Diana did a version on one of her Christmas sets that, while I thought it was a strange inclusion for holiday music, it was an excellent cover.

There's a studio version on the Vandellas' LOST AND FOUND collection. Near the end there's a great spot where Martha holds a note on the word "needs" for a good while.
    What the hell! I have the Lost and Found and apparently moved right past that track!! I have some work to do...Lol

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    Wish the Four Tops would've recorded Jackie DeShannon's PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN YOUR HEART. They did it on DAVID FROST show in circa March 1970 and Ed Sullivan at the Walter Reed hospital in November 1970.
    I can imagine that would've been a great studio version.

Diana Ross opened her Radio City Music Hall/NYC show with New York State of Mind. I often wondered whether this was in the can at RCA. Perhaps another SDF member can remember the exact date

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    Diana Ross opened her Radio City Music Hall/NYC show with New York State of Mind. I often wondered whether this was in the can at RCA. Perhaps another SDF member can remember the exact date
    She did this during her 1984 engagement there. The review mentioned she did some songs with just voice and piano.

Heaven Help Us All MJC supremes
    Lean on me MJL supremes
    Enjoy yourself dmf supremes with all three doing a verse
    Old wagon Scherrie payne solo during Dream sequence
    My world is empty without you Scherrie lead

I would love "Ribbon in the sky", "Happy" and "Corner of the Sky" by Diana Ross

What the hell! I have the Lost and Found and apparently moved right past that track!! I have some work to do...Lol
    Wow, RanRan, if you’re gonna start a thread at least get your facts right first... geeez
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-27-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Thanks Gary. Just as good as I imagined it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by dba View Post
    I sure wish I could have heard that!

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    Heaven Help Us All MJC supremes
    Lean on me MJL supremes
    Enjoy yourself dmf supremes with all three doing a verse
    Old wagon Scherrie payne solo during Dream sequence
    My world is empty without you Scherrie lead
    Wow, I don't think I've heard them do "Heaven Help Us All"! I imagine that was something to hear. I agree about "Lean On Me". I never cared for "Enjoy Yourself".

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Wow, RanRan, if you’re gonna start a thread at least get your facts right first... geeez
    I know right? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I would love "Ribbon in the sky", "Happy" and "Corner of the Sky" by Diana Ross
    Yes, "Corner of the Sky" would've been nice. I think Diana dig a good job on the live version.

"Didn't We" - Diana Ross [[Farewell album)

New York State of Mind

She did this during her 1984 engagement there. The review mentioned she did some songs with just voice and piano.
    Yes, Ross opened the show wearing a large "ball gown " and sang several songs with just grand piano on stage. her piano version of TMITM remains my favorite of her live recordings of that particular song. Loved her sassy take on NYSOM

"Exodus"-JMC/MCL/JML Supremes [[I've only heard Lynda's version)
    "MacArthur Park"-JMC Supremes
    "The Way We Were/Maybe This Time"-MSC Supremes

"Bad Weather" is a song that I think sounded much better live than in the studio.

Years ago, I overheard Jean & Lynda discussing MacArthur Park. Evidently, they recorded it for the Jimmy Webb album.

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    "Didn't We" - Diana Ross [[Farewell album)
    Hell yeah! My favorite version of the song.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post
    "Exodus"-JMC/MCL/JML Supremes [[I've only heard Lynda's version)
    "MacArthur Park"-JMC Supremes
    "The Way We Were/Maybe This Time"-MSC Supremes

"Bad Weather" is a song that I think sounded much better live than in the studio.
    "The Way We Were/Maybe This Time", while not the direction the group should've been going in at the time, would have definitely made for great listening, as I do love their live take of it.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Years ago, I overheard Jean & Lynda discussing MacArthur Park. Evidently, they recorded it for the Jimmy Webb album.
    Well then this is something to look forward to!

Jan - Marvin Gaye

Also: Has Stevie ever released studio versions of "Dancing to the Rhythm" or "Ms. and Mr. Little Ones" from his live Natural Wonder set? IMHO, these songs represented a further return to form for Stevie [[following his overcommercialized mid-to-late '80s output).

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_raven View Post
    Fingers crossed it gets a release if it still exists somewhere. I always thought "MacArthur Park" and "The Girls' Song" would have been perfect for the Jimmy Webb album.

Well then this is something to look forward to!
    There is a version with Diana in mid 1968 on their lost and found collection.

Here's the link to the NYT article discussing Diana Ross opening her show with "New York State of Mind" [[as well as "My Man" and "It's My Turn") with piano only. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/21/ar...w.html?mcubz=1
    Funny to read that 30 dollars was considered to be expensive!

Diana Ross - Big Mable Murphy

Thanks so much for posting this

Quote Originally Posted by Jaap View Post
    Here's the link to the NYT article discussing Diana Ross opening her show with "New York State of Mind" [[as well as "My Man" and "It's My Turn") with piano only. http://www.nytimes.com/1984/09/21/ar...w.html?mcubz=1
    Funny to read that 30 dollars was considered to be expensive!
    This is why I love SDF! But very sad that Stephen Holden didn't know that Mama Supreme was very sick at the time and DR was flying back to Detroit each night after the show. I was in the audience and thought the show was one of her best and was a lot longer than the one hour.
    Last edited by dba; 09-30-2017 at 01:13 PM.

Didn't We - Diana Ross
    Where Do I Go/Good Morning Starshine - Diana Ross & The Supremes
    Fool On The Hill - Martha & The Vandellas
    Family - Diana Ross
    Is That All There Is - Diana Ross
    The Nitty Gritty - Diana Ross solo
    Ribbon In The Sky - Diana Ross
    Here I Am/I Wouldn't Change a Thing - Diana Ross

Quote Originally Posted by biggestfourtops fan View Post
    There is a version with Diana in mid 1968 on their lost and found collection.
    Yes I have this version. Thanks.