[REMOVE ADS]

I'll Turn To Stone Group Duet on HDH?

Relistening to my favorite Four Tops LP, Reach Out!, it struck me what a good idea a second Supremes-Four Tops group duet would be on the Supremes Sing Holland- Dozier-Holland Expanded Edition, following on the group duet on A Go-Go. Of course that song would be "I'll Turn to Stone".

Has this been mentioned anywhere? Teased by Andy perhaps?

I don't know if the idea of a Tops/Supremes duet on "I'll Turn To Stone" has been suggested by anyone. Don't think it will work since the two songs are in different keys [[unlike the two versions of "Shake Me Wake Me" by The Tops & The Supremes which are in the same key).

Maybe the guys can work their magic. I love both versions. Not sure I could even pick a favorite.

Speaking of what kind of magic "the guys" [[and gals) might be able to do on "I'll Turn to Stone," not sure if i've shared this before. In 2006, Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy released the studio album "Adieu False Heart." One of the tracks on it was "Walk Away Renee." Someone remixed it with The Four Tops' version to make it a little "peppier." I created a Dropbox folder with the version from "Adieu False Heart" and then the "remix" with Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy and The Four Tops. [[By the way, "Adieu False Heart" was the last album Linda Ronstadt recorded before she retired due to Parkinson's disease) --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aql46ogy8w...oy%29.m4a?dl=0

Quote Originally Posted by zani57 View Post
    Speaking of what kind of magic "the guys" [[and gals) might be able to do on "I'll Turn to Stone," not sure if i've shared this before. In 2006, Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy released the studio album "Adieu False Heart." One of the tracks on it was "Walk Away Renee." Someone remixed it with The Four Tops' version to make it a little "peppier." I created a Dropbox folder with the version from "Adieu False Heart" and then the "remix" with Linda Ronstadt and Ann Savoy and The Four Tops. [[By the way, "Adieu False Heart" was the last album Linda Ronstadt recorded before she retired due to Parkinson's disease) --

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aql46ogy8w...oy%29.m4a?dl=0
    Zani, I only see the Ronstadt version, not the remix with the Tops. I'd love to hear it. Do you still have it? [[I know your post was 2 years ago)

As Motown Eddie says, it would be quite a feat to perform to mix these two versions since they are in different keys. The Supremes version is in the key of Gb and has a tempo of 130 bpm [[beats per minute). The Tops version is the key of D with a tempo of 126 bpm. Unlike years of the past, there are some digital capabilities where a tempo can be changed without altering the timbre of the vocal or the instruments. Y'all remember, years ago, that Supremes medley of hits that was merged into a dance track, huh?.....some of the tracks had to be sped up making Diana's voice sound like a mouse. It doesn't have to be like that today. If there are indeed isolated vocal tracks of Levi and Diana, it might be possible to lay one of their voices over one of the tracks. [[Example: Digitally manipulate Diana's vocal to fit the key of the Tops version and place it on the Tops track with Levi and the others). Do you suppose there is an isolated track with just Mary and Florence? Do the same with those?
    Last edited by jobucats; 05-29-2019 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I don't know if the idea of a Tops/Supremes duet on "I'll Turn To Stone" has been suggested by anyone. Don't think it will work since the two songs are in different keys [[unlike the two versions of "Shake Me Wake Me" by The Tops & The Supremes which are in the same key).
    Andy said this on this forum at some point. The difference in keys made it difficult or impossible. Can't remember what he wrote exactly. Someone who can figure out how to search the forum archives better than I could prolly find it.