[REMOVE ADS]

"The Stranger" by the Marvelettes Deserves Another Listen

Does anyone else love this song as much as I do? I think it's an amazing song, and a fantastic performance by Wanda in the lead. I love the sound of the "hunting horn" during the bridge. It's kind of a sequel to "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game."

I love the darkness of it. Many of Ivy Jo Hunter's songs had kind of a dark theme, and were scored in a minor key. I'm not a music expert, but I think this is true of some other songs he wrote such as "You've Been in Love Too Long" and "Danger Heartbreak Dead Ahead."

What I also really love about this song is that it's about a one night stand. Hard to believe anyone would leave Wanda in the lurch! On the other hand, you just know Berry Gordy wouldn't have let Diane and the Supremes sing this song!

I think it deserves another listen. Too bad it was buried on Side 2 of an album. It should have had a better fate than that!

I agree that it's a terrific song. I'd even go so far as to say that it has no Andantes singing on it. [[That's not a bad thing--just unusual for the Marvelettes by 1967!) I also think Ivy Jo Hunter was an under-promoted songwriter and producer. I thought I'd read somewhere [[a book, here on SDF...?) that Ivy Jo was responsible for most of the music and lyrics on his songs 'written' with Mickey Stevenson. Theirs was a pairing similar to how HDH credited their work to the three of them even if one or two were responsible for the song. I'm not intending to dis Mickey's talent as a producer and songwriter, but rather that while Mickey could contribute when needed, Ivy Jo as a songwriter had paired with a producer who could get his songs released and could teach him how to be a producer himself. I guess my point in bringing all this up is that Ivy has been kind of forgotten as the years have gone past except by those of us who still appreciate his talent.

I think I'll go create a playlist of songs written and/or produced by Ivy Jo just to hear his progress and 'sound'.

Touch it up a little bit and this song would be good enough for them to have released as a single.

Agree! Always loved the high note "just as handsome as HEEE could be."

[QUOTE=danman869;417262]I agree that it's a terrific song. I'd even go so far as to say that it has no Andantes singing on it.

You’re right danman869, it isa terrific song! This is only the second time I’ve listened to it but certainly not the last. And it is​ refreshing that a later Marvelettes song, led by Wanda, has actual Marvelettes doing the backing vocals!

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Great thread, Kenneth! This has always had a special place in my heart because of the very things you describe; the "hunting horn" during the bridge- oh yeah! I remember hearing that and it just knocked me out of my chair. The French Horn always has such a dramatic sound to it, a call to attention, and that's exactly the effect it had on me.

"The Darkness of it." Every time I hear this, I just think of blackness, a dark night. I think of the whole session being performed in near darkness. The sound and vibe of the song just suggests that dark, dramatic feel like another Ivy Jo Hunter/Marvelettes song- "I'll Keep Holding On."

As danman869 mentions, this is a rare time when you get the genuine Marvelettes vocalizing in the background without the sheen and gloss of The Andantes. Another thing that made me sit up and take notice. To me, their "offhanded" and casual way with those "woo oooh ooooh OOOO's" is just the style Ivy Jo used with the Isley Brothers on some of his productions with them. He would have the guys do tight harmonies sometimes, but a lot of times, he let them just hang loose, not always ending at precisely the same time. Ivy Jo Hunter and William Weatherspoon/James Dean were very good at trying to get the actual groups to do the backgrounds and Ivy's work with The Marvelettes on "The Stranger" is just a joy to hear.

huntergettingcaptured Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by daviddesper View Post
    Agree! Always loved the high note "just as handsome as HEEE could be."
    Wanda definitely deserves respect as a vocalist. When she let loose, she could whoop and holler with the best of them! Yeah, I like how she went unexpectedly high on HEEE!"

It took me awhile to peg what it was about "The Pink Album" and "Sophisticated Soul." On "The Pink Album," the performances were very stylistically smooth and mainly stuck with the melody lines. Not a lot of vocal riffing on the tunes and that gave everything a sort of jazz or smooth quality. But on "Sophisticated Soul" you got to hear Wanda get a bit looser and more free with her interpretations and phrasing. "The Stranger" sound like she was just having a good ol' time in the studio!

Glad to see this great track is at last getting the attention it so rightly deserves.

'The Stranger' has long been one of my fav Marvelettes tracks. Wanda's voice brings just the right tone of danger and sexual excitement not often found in Motown songs. I believe that the Andantes are on the entire 'Sophisticated Soul' album. In the case of 'The Stranger' the backing vocals were recorded at a later date. Gladys Knight & The Pips recorded the original version which is good but it lacks the tension of the Marvelettes one.

Quote Originally Posted by copley View Post
    'The Stranger' has long been one of my fav Marvelettes tracks. Wanda's voice brings just the right tone of danger and sexual excitement not often found in Motown songs. I believe that the Andantes are on the entire 'Sophisticated Soul' album. In the case of 'The Stranger' the backing vocals were recorded at a later date. Gladys Knight & The Pips recorded the original version which is good but it lacks the tension of the Marvelettes one.
    Perfectly put! I very much agree with this. [[Although not sure about the background part)

Another Ivy Hunter song that deserves more attention I think is Heartless by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas on the Sugar'N'Spice album - turned up as a 'b' side of Taking My Love. Fantastic tune and Martha does a cracking performance on the vocals - love the way this song fades out as well

Quote Originally Posted by cheekylincs View Post
    Another Ivy Hunter song that deserves more attention I think is Heartless by Martha Reeves and the Vandellas on the Sugar'N'Spice album - turned up as a 'b' side of Taking My Love. Fantastic tune and Martha does a cracking performance on the vocals - love the way this song fades out as well
    Like HDH, Ivy Hunter's songs are immediately recognisable as being composed by him. I feel the same about "He Doesn't Love Her Anymore".

Love “Heartless” and it’s percolating bass line on the ramp up to the chorus each time! I also have LONG loved “He Doesn’t Love Her Anymore.” The latter features the actual Vandellas singing background and it gives it such an...honesty. As someone who discovered Motown at the dawn of the digital age [[1987), I remember finding the vinyl 45 of “I’m Ready For Love” and—besides loving that tune—I fell in love with the b-side and it’s slow, almost bluesy delivery by all. Ivy was amazing with what he was able to get out of the performers of his songs!

Count me in, Kenny! I've been loving Wanda's version of "The Stranger" since that very first time I heard it on The Marvelettes' "Sophisticated Soul" back in 1968! In fact, I consider it among Motown's hottest dance tracks ever. My only reservation -- and I know we'll lock horns on this [[HaHa!) is that it would have sounded better with The Andantes on back-up vocals. [[Sorry, but I just can't get into off-key singing!)

Me, too. I think the backgrounds just might have sounded more effective with the voices of The Andantes blended [[as in 'Don't Make Hurting Me A Habit', which was a perfect combination, because both sets of ladies can be heard).

That said, I'm not absolutely sure, as the raw, lusty background voices do make it distinctive...and the sound would have been easier to replicate on stage.

The only small niggle is that I would have preferred backgrounds to have sung 'I fell in love with a stranger' in unison with Wanda's lead voice, than 'she fell in love with a stranger'. For me, singing two different words at the same time detracts just a little from the impact of that line....

Strangely, "The Stranger" has been one of my fav Marvelettes recordings from the first time I heard it on the "Sophisticated Soul" vinyl album back in the day. I feel that there is NO such thing as "old music," just good music patiently awaiting to be rediscovered.

Never heard this track before but I like it! The first thing that struck me was it’s similarity to “Ain’t No Sun Since You’ve Been Gone”... anyone else hear this? Kinda fast and uptempo but not upbeat if you know what I mean.

I think the powerful lyrics of the song are worth commenting on. Lots of dark imagery:

"Dark as the night were his eyes..."

"He was young like a kid having fun, but the fire in his eyes said he wasn't afraid of anyone..."

"Burning fire was his kiss. Like a helpless child, my heart went wild, and I could not resist him."

"Like the night fades away into dawn...when I opened my eyes, he had vanished and gone like a ghost in the night...he was still a stranger."

And of course:

"And in spite of the danger, I fell in love with the stranger!"

I don't think even Smokey could have written better lyrics than this!
    Last edited by kenneth; 10-07-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Never heard this track before but I like it! The first thing that struck me was it’s similarity to “Ain’t No Sun Since You’ve Been Gone”... anyone else hear this? Kinda fast and uptempo but not upbeat if you know what I mean.
    Hey Tom! I hadn't thought about it before, but you're right. Both songs are mid-tempo and somewhat dark and brooding, but equally powerful tracks nonetheless. Good observation!