[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Detroit The Movie

    Has anyone seen this?
    Nice soundtrack:
    Track Listing:
    1. If You Haven't Got Love - The Dramatics (4 out of 4 stars)
    2. Jimmy Mack (Remastered 2017) - Martha Reeves & The Vandellas (4 out of 4 stars)
    3. Baby, Bunny (Sugar Honey) - Jerry Williams (4 out of 4 stars)
    4. Your Precious Love (Ramastered 2017) - Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell (4 out of 4 stars)
    5. Till Johnny Comes (Remastered 2017) - Brenda Holloway (4 out of 4 stars)
    6. Rescue - James Newton Howard (3 out of 4 stars)
    7. It Ain't Fair [feat. Bilal] [Explicit] - The Roots (4 out of 4 stars)
    8. Devil's Gotten Into My Baby - The Devotions (4 out of 4 stars)
    9. You're The Cream Of The Crop - Lee Rogers (4 out of 4 stars)
    10. All Because Of You - The Dramatics (4 out of 4 stars)
    11. Alone - James Newton Howard (3 1/2 out of 4 stars)
    12. Grow - Algee Smith (4 out of 4 stars)
    13. Heaven Must Have Sent You (Remastered 2017) - The Elgins (4 out of 4 stars)
    14. I Want To Talk About You - John Coltrane (4 out of 4 stars)

  2. #2
    It played in my Central Washington town for about 10 minutes to miserable crowds.

    I had (and have) no desire to see it. Although I understand the focus on the movie is the Algiers Motel incident, I lived through the larger experience, and even 50 years later, have no desire to watch the remake.

  3. #3
    It's doing decent business in the UK. Many soul / Motown fans are going to see it. It has also been well received here by the critics, so that's getting 'normal' movie fans going too.
    Name:  DramaticsFoxTh.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  56.2 KB

  4. #4
    I went to see the movie Detroit when it came out in August. The scenes with the police torturing the people at The Algiers Motel made it very painful to watch (and even more painful when you consider that nothing's changed regarding police brutality and Black People). The only thing I liked about the movie was hearing the music (from Motown & other local Detroit labels) in the background.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,475
    I saw the movie this summer. I will see that it really had an authentic feel of the 60's.

  6. #6
    Name:  51PQU7pY7bL._SY346_.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  24.1 KB
    Almost finishing this book where the incident is written about, I never knew that this happened to members of the Dramatics.

  7. #7
    I watched Detroit today, and, well, it was a hard watch, but a good film. It made me both angry and sad but I learnt a lot!! Now I need to get into The Dramatics... whatcha see is whatcha get... and I liked what I saw

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Name:  51PQU7pY7bL._SY346_.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  24.1 KB
    Almost finishing this book where the incident is written about, I never knew that this happened to members of the Dramatics.
    Currently reading this book and I am in the month of January.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    I watched Detroit today, and, well, it was a hard watch, but a good film. It made me both angry and sad but I learnt a lot!! Now I need to get into The Dramatics... whatcha see is whatcha get... and I liked what I saw
    It was pretty enjoyable to me also,especially when I watched it in the comfort of home. I do encourage you to look deeper into the incident to know exactly what happened. Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal used dramatic licence for the deaths in the film, but they did pretty well.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinn View Post
    It was pretty enjoyable to me also,especially when I watched it in the comfort of home. I do encourage you to look deeper into the incident to know exactly what happened. Kathryn Bigelow and Mark Boal used dramatic licence for the deaths in the film, but they did pretty well.
    Yes indeed Quinn I read into the incident a bit more briefly after watching the film... frankly it's hard to believe it was based on a true story.

    I also read that one of the women who was there in the motel was actually involved in the making of the film, some fifty years later.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I saw the movie this summer. I will see that it really had an authentic feel of the 60's.
    Glen, I was a kid when this happened. As a kid we did not feel the full brunt of this event, nor did we understand what the future implications would be on Detroit and the rest of the country. It's been 50 years and Detroit is just now starting to see a renaissance.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    I went to see the movie Detroit when it came out in August. The scenes with the police torturing the people at The Algiers Motel made it very painful to watch (and even more painful when you consider that nothing's changed regarding police brutality and Black People). The only thing I liked about the movie was hearing the music (from Motown & other local Detroit labels) in the background.
    From Larry Demps aka "Squirrel" of the Dramatics account, the incident at the Algiers is very accurate. One of the original members of the Dramatics lost his life that night.

  13. #13
    Hi!

    Ron Banks told me at length about the incident for my Dramatics story (part 1: 1962-70; Soul Express), but I shorten it and copy only the last sentences:

    Ron: "--- they had come in with the National Guard and Police and raided the place. Thank God, I wasn't there. Police had come up and beaten Larry Reed and a gentleman that used to always be just around named Fred Temple. They killed Fred."

    Best regards
    Heikki

  14. #14
    Ah, Detroit The Movie

    For me the start was reading the Stuart Cosgrove book, Detroit 67, which of the over 100 books on Motown that I own, is the very best.

    I had finished the book before I went to see the movie, which in Albany NY. meant it was out for 9 minutes. There were some liberties taken, but it was a movie, and not a documentary, so I understand.

    And the movie led me to read the book, The Algiers Motel Incident, which even on the second hand market was pricey, and while I consider it a good investment in my library, I appreciated how it was painstakingly researched, and I rate it a good book.

    I then found on YouTube, the Unsung episode with the Dramatics, which gave me a greater grasp of the magnitude of the group. They probably recorded about 3 to 5 of the best jams of the seventies. And seeing the clips they were very entertaining and looked like they put on a very tight show.

    I was 12 that summer, aware of what was happening, but did not get the essence of what went down. Looking back, I saw the aftermath of what the riots did to Detroit, and closer to home, Newark, NJ, but at the time, had no frame of reference.

    Getting back to the topic, the soundtrack. I was happy to see that non Motown music was used, because while very strong in it's home city, the Motown Sound was not the only sound of the city. Just like in Philadelphia where I grew up, there was a very prodigious amount of great music that came out of the Motor City. And all of that great music did not originate on West Grand Blvd.

  15. #15
    I think that last statement was the inspiration behind the formation of this web site,
    .
    Not that you would recognise that now, sadly.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I think that last statement was the inspiration behind the formation of this web site,
    .
    Not that you would recognise that now, sadly.
    Excellent observation and point you made Snakepit.

  17. #17
    I think the reason for the unfortunate focus on the Algiers Motel incident was because the material was already available via the John Hersey book.

    I was disappointed the movie descended into that kind of focus.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.