[REMOVE ADS]

Legendary NFLer and Actor Bernie Casey Dies

This feels like family. Rest in power, Mr. Casey:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3509815

He and my high school basketball coach were buddies in college. I loved his work. Rest in peace Bernie and thank you!

Marv

My Mom went to high school with him for a year. I've been a fan since "Maury", "Cornbread, Earl and Me", and even "Gargoyles". Sad to hear about his passing. RIP.

Remember DR. BLACK, MR. HYDE [[a.k.a. THE WATTS MONSTER)? One of the best in the blaxploitation-horror genre. Bernie was fantastic in the lead roles. Just solid in everything he did.

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Remember DR. BLACK, MR. HYDE [[a.k.a. THE WATTS MONSTER)? One of the best in the blaxploitation-horror genre. Bernie was fantastic in the lead roles. Just solid in everything he did.

Sure I remember. I also remember his part in one of my favorites "Brian's Song" in 1971.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Oz View Post
    My Mom went to high school with him for a year. I've been a fan since "Maury", "Cornbread, Earl and Me", and even "Gargoyles". Sad to hear about his passing. RIP.
    She did? You know he went to BGSU just south of Toledo.

Bernie was great. Always the tough guy, the Alpha male. He surprised me when he did that comedy, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    She did? You know he went to BGSU just south of Toledo.
    He attended Columbus East High School briefly. She was a senior when he was a sophomore.

Bernie was great. Always the tough guy, the Alpha male. He surprised me when he did that comedy, I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. LOL!
    He did a great job in "Maury", which was heartbreaking and based on a true story. And his portrayal of the cop who shot Cornbread was fantastic.

He did a great job in "Maury", which was heartbreaking and based on a true story. And his portrayal of the cop who shot Cornbread was fantastic.
    I was a sophomore in high school when I saw Cornbread, Earl and Me.

When I was in high school, one of my teachers required us to read the screenplay of Maury [[about late NBA player Maurice Stokes), and it still is one of the most emotional things that I ever read.

Another great performance of his that gets little mention nowadays was in BROTHERS, the thinly veiled story of George Jackson and Angela Davis. The Angela character was played by the late, great Vonetta McGee. An overlooked gem.

So many of my childhood idols are fading away.

Another great performance of his that gets little mention nowadays was in BROTHERS, the thinly veiled story of George Jackson and Angela Davis. The Angela character was played by the late, great Vonetta McGee. An overlooked gem.

Well this is to be expected as the 21st Century progresses so many of the great ones from last century are leaving us.

To go from UN Jefferson in "Revenge of the Nerds" to Felix in "Never Say Never Again" takes some talent. RIP

Did Bernie star in the movie Melinda with Vonetta McGee too?

Quote Originally Posted by nysister View Post
    Did Bernie star in the movie Melinda with Vonetta McGee too?
    That was Calvin Lockhart.

That was Calvin Lockhart.
    Calvin Lockhart was just too cool...... and Vonetta McGee was fine as.......urrr wine! LOL!!!!

Calvin Lockhart was just too cool...... and Vonetta McGee was fine as.......urrr wine! LOL!!!!
    Biggie Smalls, himself. My favorite movie is "Let's Do It Again", and Biggie, Kansas City Mack, Mongo Slade, Bootney Farnsworth, and 40th Street Black are the coolest movie names ever.

Biggie Smalls, himself. My favorite movie is "Let's Do It Again", and Biggie, Kansas City Mack, Mongo Slade, Bootney Farnsworth, and 40th Street Black are the coolest movie names ever.
    I loved that and "Uptown Saturday Night". Do you remember "A Piece of the Action"?

“WOULD YOU TELL THIS CHILD TO GET THIS THING OUTTA MY FACE BEFORE I MAKE HER EAT IT??!!???” Denise Nicholas frickin’ RULES!!! 😁

“WOULD YOU TELL THIS CHILD TO GET THIS THING OUTTA MY FACE BEFORE I MAKE HER EAT IT??!!???” Denise Nicholas frickin’ RULES!!! 😁
    Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine were my first crushes on "Room 222". I must have been about eight years old. And she was so beautiful in "Let's Do It Again".

I loved that and "Uptown Saturday Night". Do you remember "A Piece of the Action"?
    Yeah, they added James Earl Jones in that one.

Yeah, they added James Earl Jones in that one.
    Remember the scene of the good kid in the group that was explaining about having to take care of his little brother Timmy and started crying? That was actor Ed Love. He was from Toledo. He is buried right next to my grandmother there.

Denise Nicholas and Karen Valentine were my first crushes on "Room 222". I must have been about eight years old. And she was so beautiful in "Let's Do It Again".
    Oh yeah, the short skirts etc. I bought the box set of DVD's of "Room 222".

Remember the scene of the good kid in the group that was explaining about having to take care of his little brother Timmy and started crying? That was actor Ed Love. He was from Toledo. He is buried right next to my grandmother there.
    Wow. When and how did he pass? That scene is really moving.

Wow. When and how did he pass? That scene is really moving.
    He died right after Christmas in 1991. I am not sure of the cause of death.

Oh yeah, the short skirts etc. I bought the box set of DVD's of "Room 222".
    I haven't seen it since it was broadcast originally. The diverse cast was unique and I probably didn't even know it, but even as a boy, I liked seeing black and white people working with each other and being friends. The concept seems to be even more radical almost 45 years later. How sad.

I haven't seen it since it was broadcast originally. The diverse cast was unique and I probably didn't even know it, but even as a boy, I liked seeing black and white people working with each other and being friends. The concept seems to be even more radical almost 45 years later. How sad.
    It never struck me at the time that the show, the cast was pretty diverse. I was in the fourth grade when it premiered on television and my class was diverse now that I think about it. We didn't even use words like that then. We were just a bunch of 4th Graders LOL! Still, the show was ground breaking in a way.

It never struck me at the time that the show, the cast was pretty diverse. I was in the fourth grade when it premiered on television and my class was diverse now that I think about it. We didn't even use words like that then. We were just a bunch of 4th Graders LOL! Still, the show was ground breaking in a way.
    There was only one white kid that I went to elementary school with [[in all six years). Curiously, I had no problem making friends with white kids when I attended junior high and high school. There were zero racial incidents in the next six years at either school.

There was only one white kid that I went to elementary school with [[in all six years). Curiously, I had no problem making friends with white kids when I attended junior high and high school. There were zero racial incidents in the next six years at either school.
    When I started elementary school [[it was in the mid sixties) the racial makeup was approx 70% white, 30 % black. Our school went from K-8th. By the time I graduated it was approx. 40% white and 60% black. I guess we all were pretty dumb because even though it was at the height of civil rights and racial tensions in America, we all got along great.