[REMOVE ADS]

A Breath Taking Guy...What Happened?

The only scenario in which I could name my favorite Supremes song is someone holding a gun to my head and demanding I give an answer or get a bullet in my brain. That answer might be "A Breath Taking Guy".

To my ears the song is perfect. I love the lead, the background vocals, the lyrics and the music. I love so much of the stuff Smokey was producing during this period of time, perhaps my favorite period for Smokey productions. The song also seems to be a fan favorite.

So what happened? Why do you think this failed to be the song that put the Supremes in the conversation with their hit making label mates at the time? It was their best Hot 100 showing up until that time, but certainly no hit. It didn't even have an r&b showing? Do you think, as some have suggested, that the Supremes and Smokey combo just didn't possess the chemistry of, say, his pairing with Mary Wells? Is it possible that because Smokey did seem to have a great way of producing female singers with lower tones to their voices, that the song would've worked better with Mary Wilson on lead as opposed to Diana? Or do you think the song just didn't work period?

i have always loved this song but I think it was released a year before WDOLG , and I don't think they were that popular at the time.
    when WDOLG was released he booked the group on the Dick Clark tour, which probably broke them into a wider audience than they were used to.
    I am also fond of Standing At The Crossroads.

I've always loved it too. But I think it wasn't very commercial or innovative at the time. It's a nice little girl group ballad but look at the othe girl songs coming out in 63. Heatwave. He's a Rebel. Be My Baby.

I think that's also why the marvelettes were not hitting in 63. Girl group sound was evolving and they weren't keeping up as well

Superb harmonies on that record. It was a local hit and got pretty regular radio airplay.

It's one of my favourite early Supremes songs, but in all honestly, I really wonder who was in charge when they initially titled the song by it's entire chorus "A Heartbreaking, First Sight Soul Shaking, Blah Blah Blah....". I can't even imagine them trying to muddle through that title when playing it on the radio, LOL.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    That record is not 1963 top 40 pop or r n b material.

John G. Stumpf Guest
    The Where Did Our Love Go album was the number 2 album of 1964, an unheard of accomplishment by a rock n roll girl group. Those early singles helped sell the album so that song was part of the fabric of popular culture.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The only scenario in which I could name my favorite Supremes song is someone holding a gun to my head and demanding I give an answer or get a bullet in my brain. That answer might be "A Breath Taking Guy".

To my ears the song is perfect. I love the lead, the background vocals, the lyrics and the music. I love so much of the stuff Smokey was producing during this period of time, perhaps my favorite period for Smokey productions. The song also seems to be a fan favorite.

So what happened? Why do you think this failed to be the song that put the Supremes in the conversation with their hit making label mates at the time? It was their best Hot 100 showing up until that time, but certainly no hit. It didn't even have an r&b showing? Do you think, as some have suggested, that the Supremes and Smokey combo just didn't possess the chemistry of, say, his pairing with Mary Wells? Is it possible that because Smokey did seem to have a great way of producing female singers with lower tones to their voices, that the song would've worked better with Mary Wilson on lead as opposed to Diana? Or do you think the song just didn't work period?
    My take on The Supremes' "A Breath Taking Guy" is that while it's a good song [[good enough to show up on most Supremes collections), I think that it would've been better suited for Mary Wells. There was a certain chemistry that writer/producer Smokey Robinson had with Mary at that time that just wasn't there with his work with The Supremes. I also think that putting the long title ["Breath Taking, Soul Shaking, Heart Breaking" etc.] on the first pressings of the song turned off DJs [[hence limiting airplay).

I hold a soft spot for this 45. It was the first ever I saw a Motown 45 with its blue map logo.

I used to play that flip side all the time...he's the groovy swinging guy with the rock and roll banjo band. clank clank

Quote Originally Posted by John G. Stumpf View Post
    The Where Did Our Love Go album was the number 2 album of 1964, an unheard of accomplishment by a rock n roll girl group. Those early singles helped sell the album so that song was part of the fabric of popular culture.
    Technically while the album was released in August 1964, it didn't peak until Jan 1965 at #2 also it was the first r&b album to reach #1 Jan 30, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    I am also fond of Standing At The Crossroads.
    I've never been a fan of "Crossroads", but it seems like this is another fan favorite, apparently so much so that it ended up on the first greatest hits release. I would've thought "A Breath Taking Guy" would've been a better choice for inclusion on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by sup_fan View Post
    I've always loved it too. But I think it wasn't very commercial or innovative at the time. It's a nice little girl group ballad but look at the othe girl songs coming out in 63. Heatwave. He's a Rebel. Be My Baby.

I think that's also why the marvelettes were not hitting in 63. Girl group sound was evolving and they weren't keeping up as well
    This is interesting to ponder. I did think about the song in relation to "Heat Wave" [["Breath Taking" isn't even in the same league as "Heat" in regards to which song jumps out at listeners with a fury) but I didn't think about it in terms of what the other girl groups even outside of Motown were doing. Those other songs just have a more commercial sound. Also an interesting point about the Marvelettes.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    It's one of my favourite early Supremes songs, but in all honestly, I really wonder who was in charge when they initially titled the song by it's entire chorus "A Heartbreaking, First Sight Soul Shaking, Blah Blah Blah....". I can't even imagine them trying to muddle through that title when playing it on the radio, LOL.
    LOL While it makes for interesting Motown trivia, one does have to wonder what the thought process was behind that decision. Smokey wrote the song, so is that the title he put down on paper, that long ass essay? "A Breath Taking Guy" just makes so much more sense than an entire chorus as a title.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My take on The Supremes' "A Breath Taking Guy" is that while it's a good song [[good enough to show up on most Supremes collections), I think that it would've been better suited for Mary Wells. There was a certain chemistry that writer/producer Smokey Robinson had with Mary at that time that just wasn't there with his work with The Supremes. I also think that putting the long title ["Breath Taking, Soul Shaking, Heart Breaking" etc.] on the first pressings of the song turned off DJs [[hence limiting airplay).
    I figured some folks might think the song was a better fit for Mary Wells. It was definitely in line with the sound that Smokey usually gave her. I think in Wells' hands the song may have done better. Motown Eddie what do you think about the idea of Mary Wilson doing the lead instead? Do you think the song would have done better since she and Mary Wells had a similar sound?

Quote Originally Posted by theboyfromxtown View Post
    I used to play that flip side all the time...he's the groovy swinging guy with the rock and roll banjo band. clank clank
    As odd as the song is for a r&b/pop group to do, I actually like "Banjo Band" myself. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Technically while the album was released in August 1964, it didn't peak until Jan 1965 at #2 also it was the first r&b album to reach #1 Jan 30, 1965
    Thanks for this information BG. I never knew that. I always assumed the album peaked during 1964, but it makes sense that it would continue to sale into 1965 after the group's appearance on Sullivan and "Come See About Me" going back to number one.

I figured some folks might think the song was a better fit for Mary Wells. It was definitely in line with the sound that Smokey usually gave her. I think in Wells' hands the song may have done better. Motown Eddie what do you think about the idea of Mary Wilson doing the lead instead? Do you think the song would have done better since she and Mary Wells had a similar sound?

Very good question RanRan. I think "Breath Taking Guy" might've worked better with Mary Wilson doing the lead [[but as we all know, BG had decided to give all of the lead vocals-at least on the singles-to Diana Ross).

I wonder if the original long title to the song was a deterrent for airplay? I know the original pressing was withdrawn and the shorter titled single was released, but maybe it was too late. In any case, the original release is considered to be the longest titled song in pop music. That fact alone makes this song remarkable.Name:  21728762_10155768116251055_1630663518931595889_o.jpg
Views: 737
Size:  61.3 KB

John G. Stumpf Guest
    You are correct. 1965 instead of 64.

I don't see those early Supremes singles as a hit for any artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Desjardines View Post
    I wonder if the original long title to the song was a deterrent for airplay? I know the original pressing was withdrawn and the shorter titled single was released, but maybe it was too late. In any case, the original release is considered to be the longest titled song in pop music. That fact alone makes this song remarkable.[ATTACH]
    The long title might have turned some dj's off. But I could see some of the guys having fun with it, sort of making as if the description refers to themselves while they announced it.

Nino Temp and April Stevens had a song called "I've Been Carrying A Torch For You So Long That I Burned A Great Big Hole In My Heart" which I thought was long enough lol [[that was just a B' side though to "Deep Purple").

John G. Stumpf Guest
    How could you believe me when i said i loved you when you know i've been a liar all my life

By Jane Powell and Fred Astaire in 1951 is the longest title to chart the Billboard Pop 100.

Now that's a mouthful!

Very good question RanRan. I think "Breath Taking Guy" might've worked better with Mary Wilson doing the lead [[but as we all know, BG had decided to give all of the lead vocals-at least on the singles-to Diana Ross).
    I think Mary Wilson put the timeline of Gordy's decision somewhere between this single and probably "Lovelight" or "Run, Run, Run". But in a what if scenario I think it may have been a wiser choice to hand the song to Mary Wilson and see how well it would do. Just her "next day heartbreaking" solo line on the cut is enough to convince me that with benefit of a time machine giving Mary Wilson the lead was worth a try. Of course I still think the actual version was perfect as is.

I think Mary Wilson put the timeline of Gordy's decision somewhere between this single and probably "Lovelight" or "Run, Run, Run". But in a what if scenario I think it may have been a wiser choice to hand the song to Mary Wilson and see how well it would do. Just her "next day heartbreaking" solo line on the cut is enough to convince me that with benefit of a time machine giving Mary Wilson the lead was worth a try. Of course I still think the actual version was perfect as is.
    I would love to hear Mary Wilson's read on the song because I love her voice on songs like this and I love the tone it had back in the day, but I don't know if she had the chops to handle the subtleties of the melody… I love Diana's vocal except it's a little tremulous at times… Ultimately I think Mary Wells would have done the most successful take on the song, but that would've robbed us of the rarity of this wonderful production.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    I would love to hear Mary Wilson's read on the song because I love her voice on songs like this and I love the tone it had back in the day, but I don't know if she had the chops to handle the subtleties of the melody… I love Diana's vocal except it's a little tremulous at times… Ultimately I think Mary Wells would have done the most successful take on the song, but that would've robbed us of the rarity of this wonderful production.
    Mary Wilson's tone was gorgeous, I agree.

And personally, I don't think they should have shortened the title of the song because it had a bit of a gimmick to it and disc jockeys as someone mentioned, sometimes like to have fun with the title of a song if it's unusual… I would've kept it the way it is

Mary Wilson's tone was gorgeous, I agree.
    "Tone" is a word I would never use to discuss Wilson.

Wasn't "Too Hurt to Cry" by the Darnells actually called [[at least at first) "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye?"

Never really listened to this song properly before but having just done so, I can say... I like it! It's great!! I can definitely hear Mary Wells singing it, but Diana and the girls do a great job. Nice to hear Mary and Flo on the chorus too!

The chemistry with Smoke and the girls just did not gel. I don't think it even fits Mary or Flo. Absolutely nothing against Smoke but he was better for the Marvelettes. I was more taken back why "Lovelights" not blowing it out the box than "A Breaking Taking Guy".

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    Wasn't "Too Hurt to Cry" by the Darnells actually called [[at least at first) "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much in Love to Say Goodbye?"
    Was the title ever officially shortened? I know when I write it I always do "Too Hurt to Cry" but I've always only seen it officially written [[tracklist and such) as "Too Hurt to Cry, Too Much In Love to Say Goodbye". It's a nice mouthful though.

Quote Originally Posted by captainjames View Post
    The chemistry with Smoke and the girls just did not gel. I don't think it even fits Mary or Flo. Absolutely nothing against Smoke but he was better for the Marvelettes. I was more taken back why "Lovelights" not blowing it out the box than "A Breaking Taking Guy".
    That seems to be the consensus about Smokey and the Supremes, it was a musical marriage that just didn't have what it took to go the distance. As far as "Lovelight", while I do like the song, I've always thought the track had an almost marching band sound to it in places, and I've always assumed that may have been why it didn't "explode". It was certainly a departure in sound at that point. With benefit of a time machine and a amnesia pill, if HDH had come to me with the track and asked me to guess who they were producing it on, I would answer Martha and the Vandellas without even thinking. But the Supremes killed it. Diana's lead was just further testimony that she could sing just about anything well, and Mary and especially Florence were murdering those backing vocals. [[I think there's a male voice in the mix too, maybe Eddie Holland?) Interestingly, while the song stalled a few spots out of the top 20 on the Hot 100, "Lovelight" was at #2 on Cashbox's r&b chart. If Billboard hadn't suspended it's r&b chart at the time, I wonder how well "Lovelight" would have done there.

I'm surprised that there is not a version of "Breath Taking Guy" by Mary Wells in the vaults cause she thought she did it, but she didn't care for it. I always loved, and have the 45 of "You Bring Back Memories" by the Supremes that Smokey wrote & produced. "Let Me Go the Right Way" was the first 45 I bought by the Supremes. "lovelight" is till one of my fave Supremes records & I think its the 4 Tops on there with them.

That seems to be the consensus about Smokey and the Supremes, it was a musical marriage that just didn't have what it took to go the distance. As far as "Lovelight", while I do like the song, I've always thought the track had an almost marching band sound to it in places, and I've always assumed that may have been why it didn't "explode". It was certainly a departure in sound at that point. With benefit of a time machine and a amnesia pill, if HDH had come to me with the track and asked me to guess who they were producing it on, I would answer Martha and the Vandellas without even thinking. But the Supremes killed it. Diana's lead was just further testimony that she could sing just about anything well, and Mary and especially Florence were murdering those backing vocals. [[I think there's a male voice in the mix too, maybe Eddie Holland?) Interestingly, while the song stalled a few spots out of the top 20 on the Hot 100, "Lovelight" was at #2 on Cashbox's r&b chart. If Billboard hadn't suspended it's r&b chart at the time, I wonder how well "Lovelight" would have done there.
    There were 7 male voices in the background along with Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. The voices of the Four Tops and HDH.

The Marvelettes did a pretty good job with the song:

I always thought that next to Mary Wells, Wanda was the best interpreter of Smokeys songs.

Quote Originally Posted by motony View Post
    I always thought that next to Mary Wells, Wanda was the best interpreter of Smokeys songs.
    Let's not forget the Temptations.

sorry, I meant as far as "Females".....let not forget The Miracles or Marvin Gaye.

I'm surprised that there is not a version of "Breath Taking Guy" by Mary Wells in the vaults cause she thought she did it, but she didn't care for it. I always loved, and have the 45 of "You Bring Back Memories" by the Supremes that Smokey wrote & produced. "Let Me Go the Right Way" was the first 45 I bought by the Supremes. "lovelight" is till one of my fave Supremes records & I think its the 4 Tops on there with them.
    During the course of this thread I had a moment where I said to myself that it would be great if a Mary Wells version was sitting in the vault. But then I figured if that were the case it most surely would have come out on Mary's Lost and Found. Now that you say that she thought she had done a version too I have to remember that new things seem to be discovered in the vaults everyday. I remember when the Supremes Lost and Found was released and the talk was that there was pretty much nothing left [[of the Diana years). We now know that aint true, so fingers crossed that Mary Wells "A Breath Taking Guy" is possibly something to look forward to.

You might be right about the Tops, though I thought they were with the girls on "Run, Run, Run".

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    There were 7 male voices in the background along with Mary Wilson and Florence Ballard. The voices of the Four Tops and HDH.
    I don't hear that many voices, but if true, Flo still somehow manages to standout even in that crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    The Marvelettes did a pretty good job with the song:
    I always loved it, but don't know why anyone thought it made a good single at that point. Glad Smokey didn't try to recreate the original. This is actually one of my absolute favorite Marvelettes songs.

Both were beautiful musical matches with Smokey.

I second that emotion, and even given that Wanda's my favorite Motown singer, I still think Wells was Smokey's most natural muse as far as interpreting his material! Though some songs, such as "The Hunter Gets Captured by the Game," I simply cannot imagine anyone else doing, and I don't think anyone has ever performed it better than Wanda and the Marvelettes.

During the course of this thread I had a moment where I said to myself that it would be great if a Mary Wells version was sitting in the vault. But then I figured if that were the case it most surely would have come out on Mary's Lost and Found. Now that you say that she thought she had done a version too I have to remember that new things seem to be discovered in the vaults everyday. I remember when the Supremes Lost and Found was released and the talk was that there was pretty much nothing left [[of the Diana years). We now know that aint true, so fingers crossed that Mary Wells "A Breath Taking Guy" is possibly something to look forward to.

You might be right about the Tops, though I thought they were with the girls on "Run, Run, Run".
    The Four Tops are on both records. They were recorded around the same time in the Winter of 1963-64.

I just looked up the song's entry on TCMS Vol. 3 and it suggests a possible reason for "A Breath Taking Guy" not becoming a major hit for The Supremes. A quotation from writer David Morse states the "Motown style emerged fully formed in 1963 making 'A Breath Taking Guy' sound like a production from an different era". Maybe the song would've made a bigger splash if it had come out in 1962. Anyway, it's still one of my favorite songs from the early years of The Supremes.

@MotownEddie, Oh I think that's a very accurate reason. Disregard thinking about when it came out but think of hearing it as an Oldie for the first time, and then it harkens back to the 1950s sound of groups like the Chantels. I love the song too, but it's definitely a curio in the Supremes catalog.
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-23-2017 at 09:10 AM.

I just looked up the song's entry on TCMS Vol. 3 and it suggests a possible reason for "A Breath Taking Guy" not becoming a major hit for The Supremes. A quotation from writer David Morse states the "Motown style emerged fully formed in 1963 making 'A Breath Taking Guy' sound like a production from an different era". Maybe the song would've made a bigger splash if it had come out in 1962. Anyway, it's still one of my favorite songs from the early years of The Supremes.
    This makes absolute sense. I declare this the official answer to my original question: what happened?