[REMOVE ADS]

Finally scored a copy of "The Feeling Is So Fine"; why was it withdrawn?

I *finally* have tracked down an original copy of "The Feeling Is So Fine" by the Miracles on Tamla.

It's my understanding that Gordy withdrew the record, electing to re-record the flip side "You Can Depend On Me" and then pairing that with "Way Over There". Does anyone know why?

This is a dead rare record; my father was a Detroit area DJ and this is the ONLY copy he's ever seen in the flesh, and he's been looking, albeit on and off, since learning about it in the 1980s.

The A-side is not a terribly good song, but we both prefer the first version of "You Can Depend On Me", thus the hunt.

This was even excluded from the "Greatest Hits From The Very Beginning" compilation album, which included the End cuts, the material leased to Chess, etc. There has to be more to the story here... any ideas?

Can you tell me a little more about the "Greatest Hits From the Very Beginning" compilation album. I am totally unfamiliar with it. Perhaps a scan? Thanks.

My apologies, it is entitled "Greatest Hits: From the Beginning". My memory is faulty I guess...

Anyway, here's a link to a Wikipedia article on the album. It is probably the least expensive way to get "Bad Girl" on vinyl for those that don't have it already on the Motown G 1 pressing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grea...iracles_album)

From The Beginning....
    Attachment 13469

One of my favorite albums! Note that a mono version was also issued and some of the takes are different, IIRC.

Edit: I used to own a reissue [[1980s?) of this album; perhaps that is where I heard different takes if I heard them at all. My mind is not what it used to be!
    Last edited by lockhartgary; 09-19-2017 at 09:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamla Junkie View Post
    I *finally* have tracked down an original copy of "The Feeling Is So Fine" by the Miracles on Tamla.

It's my understanding that Gordy withdrew the record, electing to re-record the flip side "You Can Depend On Me" and then pairing that with "Way Over There". Does anyone know why?

This is a dead rare record; my father was a Detroit area DJ and this is the ONLY copy he's ever seen in the flesh, and he's been looking, albeit on and off, since learning about it in the 1980s.

The A-side is not a terribly good song, but we both prefer the first version of "You Can Depend On Me", thus the hunt.

This was even excluded from the "Greatest Hits From The Very Beginning" compilation album, which included the End cuts, the material leased to Chess, etc. There has to be more to the story here... any ideas?
    My guess is that Berry had second thoughts about The Miracles "The Feeling Is So Fine" and pulled it off the market to make room for "Way Over There". I agree that the 1st version of "You Can Depend On Me" was the best version of the song [[hence it is the version used on most Miracles collections). Since the song was taken off the market, there was no place for it on the Greatest Hits From The Beginning LP [[although I think it should've made the cut on Hi! We're The Miracles).

"The Feeling Is So Fine" appears to have been rapidly withdrawn - perhaps because of poor feedback or because they felt they had something better [[and more current) in "Way Over There" [[the latter is pretty much what is stated in TCMS).

Given the rapid withdrawal, I was surprised to see a Tamla globe copy of the song on line and I'm assuming that this is some sort of artist mock up - or was it actually pressed like that either by Motown or by a bootlegger? There is no matrix number shown on the label and the credits are the opposite way round. Attachment 13470

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    "The Feeling Is So Fine" appears to have been rapidly withdrawn - perhaps because of poor feedback or because they felt they had something better [[and more current) in "Way Over There" [[the latter is pretty much what is stated in TCMS).

Given the rapid withdrawal, I was surprised to see a Tamla globe copy of the song on line and I'm assuming that this is some sort of artist mock up - or was it actually pressed like that either by Motown or by a bootlegger? There is no matrix number shown on the label and the credits are the opposite way round. Attachment 13470
    It looks like a bootleg [[or a mock up) to me since the Tamla "globes" label did not exist during the time when "The Feeling Is So Fine"was released [[and withdrawn) in 1959. The lack of a matrix number on the label also has me thinking that this wasn't a official re-release of the song by Tamla.

Another trivia fact about "The Feeling Is So Fine"; this must've been the first Tamla release to be withdrawn from the market [[and consigned to the vaults until the Miracles' 35th Anniversary Collection & TCMS Vol. 1: 1959-1961).