[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

So sad to hear Gladys Horton has passed.

Just got an email from Ron Brewington

"THE MARVELETTES" FORMER LEAD SINGER GLADYS HORTON SUCCUMBS

[[Sherman Oaks, CA) - Gladys Horton, co-founder and former lead singer of the popular Motown all-female group, "The Marvelettes," has died.

She was 66.

Vaughn Thornton, 40, says his mother passed at approximately 10:00 PM, PST on Wednesday, Jan. 26th in a Sherman Oaks, Calif. [[near Los Angeles) nursing home where she had been recuperating from a stroke that she suffered some time ago.

"My mother died peacefully," said Thornton. "She fought as long as she could."

Horton was born in Detroit, Mich. in 1944. She was raised by foster parents in the western Detroit suburb of Inkster.

While a student at Inkster High School, Horton developed a strong interest in singing and joined the high school glee club. She joined with several other members of the glee club, Katherine Anderson, Juanita Cowart , Georgeanna Tillman and later Georgia Dobbins to form a group.

The ladies called themselves "The Casinyets," short for "can't sing yet."

Following a successful talent contest to sing for Motown, Dobbins, who was the group's first lead singer, co-created "Please Mr. Postman." Sadly, Dobbins had to leave the group after her father forbid her from singing in nightclubs.

Horton then became the lead singer and the group changed their name to "The Marvelettes." Motown released the song in the summer of 1961 when Horton was only fifteen.

The song jumped to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Motown's first #1 Pop hit.

Horton led on several other hits songs, including "Beechwood 4-5789," "Playboy" and "Too Many Fish In The Sea."

She was later replaced as lead singer for the group in 1965 by Wanda Young. Horton stayed with the group until 1967.

Horton is also survived by son, Sammy, 42.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

So sad to be reading this news. RIP Gladys.

Well this certainly is sad news for me; I've been in love with Gladys practically most of my life. At least her pain is over.
    RIP, Gladys. Miss you like hell already!...

Rest in Peace, Gladys...

smark21 Guest
    Very sad news to hear.

I was really hoping she would pull through, I am praying for her family. She can now sing in the heavenly choir.

May she rest in peace.

Another Motown star has left us. Condolences to her family.

My condolences go out. I liked Please, Mr. Postman.

Saddened to hear. She, however, was born in Gainesville, FL and moved to Detroit at about the age of one.

topdiva1 Guest
    Our legends return to glory - so quickly - Rest in peace dear Marvelette, Gladys Horton.

R.I.P. dear Gladys, and thank you.

Marc Taylor

She fought as long as she could, amen. God Bless and RIP Gladys.

Marv

Rest in peace, Gladys. Thank you for sharing your talent and music with the world.

Im very sad about this. RIP Gladys.

She put up a good fight not only with her life recently, but with promoters and taking care of her son. Gladys you are truly a pioneer and we have not forgotten you. RIP....

One of most recent pics of Gladys. http://www.freep.com/article/2011012...lettes-dies-66

A beloved member of our musical heritage has passed...RIP Gladys...

Rest in peace Gladys Horton. Thank you for the music.

An Amazing and Underrated Vocalist

I think the most amazing thing about Gladys Horton's talent was that throughout the years, and even when she recorded less than stellar material later, her voice had not changed at all. There was no mistaking on the Ian Levine recorded songs that it was Gladys Horton you were hearing; her voice was still true and hadn't faded in the slightest. It's too bad she never recorded any solo material after leaving the Marvelettes, and I guess she never got to finish the book she'd intended to write, but hopefully she felt that she had finally achieved recognition from the Vocal Group Hall of Fame and the publication of "The Original Marvelettes."

When Gladys first moved back to L.A. in 1984, I was in town with Mary Wells, Martha Reeves, & Shirley Alston. They
    were performing at the Sheraton Airport as the Legendary Ladies along with Arlene Smith. Gladys came to the
    shows and she brought with her a cassette tape of a recording she had done called "Space Rock Radio" and it
    was really good. Great beat and very catchy rhythm. Sounded like a hit. I believe she wrote and produced it.
    I wish something would've happened to it and I only hope one of her sons or relatives actually has the
    recording.

Very Sad news indeed! At least she'll live on in her music.

So many music legends are passing these days that I'm just numb when I hear another has gone. Gladys Horton's was a voice I've listened to all my life. May she rest in God's eternal world of peace.

[IMG][IMG][/IMG][/IMG]edia/2011/01/1002929-gladys-horton-marvelettes-617-409.jpg[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

She was so underrated but it was her legendary voice that gave Motown records it first no. 1. Rest is peace Soul Queen!
    Last edited by loveblind; 01-29-2011 at 01:04 PM.

Ms. Horton brought me so much joy over the years. Just hearing her voice made me smile and get excited. I thank her for sharing her talent with us and know that she is being welcomed into the heavenly choir with open arms!

I am so sad to hear this news. Sincere wishes to her family. The Marvelettes are my ALL TIME favs, and, I guess, at least we have a great body of her music left behind that we can play, and never forget that lovely. lovely voice. R.I.P. Gladys...Paulo xxx

stopinthenameoflove Guest

So sad to hear Gladys Horton has passed

I think this news is incredibly sad. I have always loved the voice of Gladys Horton, and from what I have heard and seen, this woman got no breaks in later life trying to resume her career. So, so sad - and shame on those who would not let her sing as Gladys Horton of The Marvelettes

My favorite Gladys lead vocal on one of the best love songs produced at Motown....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBALn3KR5d8

Not sure if everyone noticed but in link I provided above includes an article in which Berry Gordy expressed his condolences and called her a "special, special lady."

I just saw it Luke. I hadn't noticed it the first time:

Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. paid tribute to Horton this afternoon, lauding her as one of the first Motown greats.

"Gladys was a very, very special lady, and I loved the way she sang with her raspy, soulful voice," Gordy said through a spokesperson. "We will all miss her, and she will always be a part of the Motown family."

RIP Gladys, you changed my life.

Rather than go into a long eulogy, I'd like to remember her by sharing my second-favourite Marvelettes record:

...and then my favourite Marvelettes record, which also might just be my favourite record full stop.

Thank you so much for everything. I'll never forget.

Name:  Gladys Horton.jpg
Views: 4540
Size:  89.5 KB
    Gladys Horton 1945 - 2011
    Forever...

uptight Guest
    So sorry to hear of her passing. Miss Horton has provided a lifetime of enjoyment in the Marvelettes' recordings.

An announcement has been on the front page of AOL all day about Gladys' passing. Even more people around the world will be aware of her wonderful soulful singing. So many of our soulful queens deserve to have their legacies continued, as an example to all generations to come of real and raw talent. Peace, everybody.

I just want to make sure that everyone realizes that it was the Marvelettes with Gladys Horton leading that put MOTOWN on the map! It wasn't Diana Ross, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye or Commodores, it was Gladys Horton's young,exuberant and natural voice that most people heard coming out of this record company out of Detroit, Michigan. She and the Marvelettes gave Berry and Motown their first number one record helping to make it possible for Motown to do all the great things that would come later!

Praying for her family - May God wrap His arms of love around them at this difficult time.

Absolutely. Gladys and the Marvelettes [[ALONG WITH MARY WELLS) were my first Motown discoveries.

smark21 Guest
    Here's Gladys and the Marvelettes ruling the stage at the Apollo.

RIP Gladys Horton. God Bless and thank you for leaving us with your great songs--such sweet memories...

Like all of you I am so sad to hear about this, but pleased that the news is being spread so widely. I have seen it in some unusual, totally unexpected places.

But I have a question....didn't we read someplace recently that the Marvelettes were supposed to receive some sort of special Grammy next month? If so, then it would be nice if that is included in the actual telecast as opposed to being one of those "presented earlier" awards. Can someone refresh our memories about what this award is for and if it will indeed be presented?

I also hope her passing will spur along the release of the long-awaited second volume of their albums as well as whatever other treasures [[unreleased or otherwise) that the various labels might have had in store for us. I say flood us with Marvelettes' material and we will buy it all!

I am heartbroken. The Marvelettes are forever and always my favorites. RIP Gladys; thank you for touching my life.

Just logged on to the BBC news website this morning and was shocked. Gladys' voice was a great part of my youth - and still is. Such sad news. R.I.P and thankyou.

I had the pleasure of working with Gladys Horton back in the early 1990s. I met her through a mutual friend and was asked to type tapes for her for her biography that was she was working on. I thoroughly enjoyed listening to her voice and typing her manuscript from the tapes. I remember there were five tapes in all. She talked about her early years growing up in Romeo, Mi and moving in with foster parents in Inkster. She talked about how Florence Ballard was very encouraging to her and gave her vocal tips when they were in the recording studio. She talked about Florence performing with the Marvelettes when Wanda Rogers was pregnant. Years later someone sent me a picture of Florence on stage with the Marvelettes, which was fun to see that it really did happen. One of the items she mentioned for her book was a section to be called "Letters to the Postman" and she was going to write letters to people she had come across in her life. She wanted to write Diana Ross and ask her if her remember when the Marvelettes let the Supremes "star the show", meaning being top billed, as they were always on before the Marvelettes. She wanted to ask Diana Ross to return the favor. She never talked badly about any of her Motown friends and she said the Marvelettes, Martha and the Vandellas and the Supremes were all friends on different levels. She was a lovely lady to work with and get to know. We did, through Alan White, a Florence Ballard Exhibition Tribute in Westminster, CA and Gladys performed that evening with her Marvelettes and Betty Kelly, of the Vandellas, did a reading on stage of a poem she had written called "Motown Ladies". I have and will always treasure the gift Gladys gave to my wife and I, was a very special little mailbox and she wrote a special dedication on the lid. If you remember, it was the same mailbox she presented to Joan Rivers when she was on her show talking about the early days of Motown and I believe Mary Wilson and Raynoma Gordy were on the show. I remember as a young teenager dancing in my living room playing over and over again "As Long As I Know He's Mine". Loved that song and all the others by the Marvelous Marvelettes. God Bless you, Gladys. Thankfully, we have your music to play over and over.

Great story Westlandboy and thank you. I take it Westland, Michigan right?

Thanks, Yes, Westland, MI, just down the road from Inkster. I wanted to mention this morning I have my Marvelettes CD in my computer and just have to state what an amazing body of work the Marvelettes produced. You know, not every one made it to number 1, but the chart numbers really don't reflect the talent and great mesages put out by the Marvelettes. Gladys' message to friends on "Too Strong To Be Strung Along", telling Juanita not to put up with the garbage. Her advice to friends to Watch Out! for the Playboy. The wonderful alternate group, the Darnells, "Too Hurt to Cry" . The fantastic guitar intro on "Little Girl Blue" and "Someday, Someway" with Glady singing "Wowowo", great song. Who out there didn't try to phone Beechwood 4-5789? Whether it was Gladys on Lead or Wanda on Lead or Gladys followed with Wanda's falsetto on "As Long As I Know He's Mind" or "Locking Up My Heart". The Marvelettes were simply that, Marvelous and I know I have lots of happy memories ahead listening to "The Girls From Inkster" Gladys, Katherine, Georgia, Wanda, Juanita. You put Inkster on the map and made many fans very happy.

An interview with Miss Horton

http://www.soul-patrol.net/horton.ram

Westlandboy-

Thanks for sharing your wonderful story and memories of Gladys.

Interesting to hear about her book; I recall in the mid-90's there was a 2 [[3?) part interview with Gladys printed in the Florence Ballard Fan Club Newsletter [[didn't Alan White run that?). I only recieved the 1st part, so I was never able to get the whole interview.

Somewhere I have that newsletter; I'll try and dig it out one of these days.

I'd love to know what her "Motown Ladies" poem was.

Yes, it was Alan White that hosted the Florence Ballard Fan Club. He put on three shows and Mary Wilson attended them along with Florence Ballard's three daughters. The first two shows, one was in Los Angeles and the other was West LA at a gallery. I remember there were many Motowners in attendance, but the two highlights for me was meeting all of Flo's daughters , who were just amazed with the exhibit in honor of their mom and Mary's showing of the video of all the appearances of The Supremes on Ed Sullivan, which at that time, we didn't have the luxury of You Tube, so that was fantastic to see those clips. Everyone was in awe. Alan's last show was the one he did with us down in Westminster at an Auditorium. What a lovely, caring human being Alan was.

I remember the interviews in his newsletters. I probably still have them in boxes somewhere. I am pretty sure Betty gave me a copy of her poem and if I can dig it out this weekend, I will post it. We are talking 20 years ago, but I'll have a look for it. I know that poem was a dedication to all the great ladies of Motown. Talk about a classy lady, Betty Kelly was just charming.

I do want to share this, when I was working with Gladys, I used to attend a record show at the Sequoia Atheletic Club in Buena Park and I got the promoter of the show to bring Gladys to one of the shows to sign autographs and meet fans. It was quite a thrill to see the number of fans show up with albums for Gladys to sign. She was in her glory that day. We had many happy encounters with Gladys, and got to meet her son Sammy. I remember going to Pizza Hut the first time I met her and she had Sammy with her. She took good care of Sammy. She just loved talking about her career and even though there were hard times involved with it all, she always had a wonderful smile on her face and she had the greatest dimples I have ever seen. I am that little bit better for having known her and sharing a moment of her life.

olamaebarto Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by smark21 View Post
    Here's Gladys and the Marvelettes ruling the stage at the Apollo.

The part at the end with that fellow coming up and dancing is a scream.

A wonderful, wonderful article by Susan Whitall in the Detroit News on Gladys and the Marvelettes:
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...girl-group-era