[REMOVE ADS]




Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685

    Favorite cover albums

    Aretha, Michael McDonald, Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Luther and so many others have done cover albums (full albums of remakes). What are you favorites.

    Some of mine would be:

    Regina Belle "Reaching Back"
    Natalie Cole "Unforgettable with Love"
    Patti Austin "The Real Me"
    Seal "SOUL"
    Phil Perry "Classic Love Songs"


  2. #2
    Fantastic thread concept! I'll add:

    Patti LaBelle - CLASSIC MOMENTS

    Joni Mitchell - BOTH SIDES NOW

    Aretha - UNFORGETTABLE: A TRIBUTE TO DINAH WASHINGTON
    and ARETHA FRANKLIN SINGS THE GREAT DIVA CLASSICS

    Laura Nyro and Labelle - GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE [probably my all-time favorite cover LP]

    Thelma Houston - A WOMAN'S TOUCH

    Annie Lennox - MEDUSA and NOSTALGIA

    Sinead O'Connor - AM I NOT YOUR GIRL?

    The Supremes - SING RODGERS AND HART

    Queen Latifah - THE DANA OWENS ALBUM
    Last edited by sansradio; 09-15-2017 at 04:34 AM.

  3. #3
    I love Natalie's cover of 'Take A Look' - in my estimation the ultimate reading.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Fantastic thread concept! I'll add:

    Patti LaBelle - CLASSIC MOMENTS

    Joni Mitchell - BOTH SIDES NOW

    Aretha - UNFORGETTABLE: A TRIBUTE TO DINAH WASHINGTON
    and ARETHA FRANKLIN SINGS THE GREAT DIVA CLASSICS

    Laura Nyro and Labelle - GONNA TAKE A MIRACLE [probably my all-time favorite cover LP]

    Thelma Houston - A WOMAN'S TOUCH

    Annie Lennox - MEDUSA and NOSTALGIA

    Sinead O'Connor - AM I NOT YOUR GIRL?

    The Supremes - SING RODGERS AND HART

    Queen Latifah - THE DANA OWENS ALBUM
    I didn't know that Thelma Houston had one out. I will DEFINITELY check that out

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    I didn't know that Thelma Houston had one out. I will DEFINITELY check that out
    You won't be disappointed, glencro. The concept is similar to Regina's in that all the selections were made famous by male vocalists (hence the title). Everything from "Wake Up Everybody" to "Never Too Much" to "By the Time I Get to Phoenix". And Thelma delivers as only she can.

  6. #6
    Miki Howard's Pillow Talk ​album is an excellent cover set as well!

  7. #7
    Interesting thread. Is there a difference between a "covers" album and a "standards" album?

  8. #8
    Luther's cover album was my favorite.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Interesting thread. Is there a difference between a "covers" album and a "standards" album?
    Generally speaking like the saying goes, the third times the charm...
    When Miles Davis did Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time it was still a
    cover as far as I know. When both Inoj and Cassandra Wilson both
    did it in '99, it became a standard. BTW, that Regina Belle release
    thrilled me to no end...

  10. #10
    My favorite "covers" album is Randy Crawford's NAKED AND TRUE. So marvelous and original you forget she is singing covers. In most cases, her renditions rival or exceed the originals -- "Holding Back The Years", "Joy Inside My Tears", "I'll Be Around", "Give Me The Night", "All The King's Horses", etc.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Generally speaking like the saying goes, the third times the charm...
    When Miles Davis did Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time it was still a
    cover as far as I know. When both Inoj and Cassandra Wilson both
    did it in '99, it became a standard. BTW, that Regina Belle release
    thrilled me to no end...

    Thanks. It's good to know that rule of thumb.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    My favorite "covers" album is Randy Crawford's NAKED AND TRUE. So marvelous and original you forget she is singing covers. In most cases, her renditions rival or exceed the originals -- "Holding Back The Years", "Joy Inside My Tears", "I'll Be Around", "Give Me The Night", "All The King's Horses", etc.
    How could I forget NAKED AND TRUE?!?? I absolutely agree; one of the best ever!

  13. #13
    Ronald Isley meets Burt Bacharach - Here I Am
    Diana Krall - The Look Of Love
    Gladys Knight & The Pips - Silk N Soul
    Marvin Gaye - Vulnerable

  14. #14
    Does Ruby Turners Motown Song Book qualify
    Some great reinterpretations of some great Motown Classics, some of which feature cameos from the original groups/artists, Temptations, four tops Jimmy Ruffin etc.

  15. #15
    My favorite covers albums;
    1. The Temptations-The Temptations Sing Smokey
    2. Marvin Gaye-Vunerable
    3. Laura Nyro & LaBelle-Gonna Take A Miracle
    4. The Isley Bros.-Giving It Back


  16. #16
    It contains one original song, but so do others I've chosen: Vanessa Williams' Everlasting Love. Outstanding!

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    My favorite covers albums;
    1. The Temptations-The Temptations Sing Smokey
    2. Marvin Gaye-Vunerable
    3. Laura Nyro & LaBelle-Gonna Take A Miracle
    4. The Isley Bros.-Giving It Back

    Giving It Back is one of the most under-rated covers albums of all of
    that era's releases. The album cover itself shows the 3 brothers each
    holding guitars but could Ronnie actually play one? Ernie, not pictured, played his ass off on Ohio and I think this album was where
    their cousin Chris Jasper made his debut with the band. Also, only Ronnie sings all the leads if I remember correctly...These cats got me
    through a lot of shit back in the day; glad to see a mention of them...

  18. #18
    I forgot to put this one on my 'favorite cover albums' list;

    Rotary Connection-Songs

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Giving It Back is one of the most under-rated covers albums of all of
    that era's releases. The album cover itself shows the 3 brothers each
    holding guitars but could Ronnie actually play one? Ernie, not pictured, played his ass off on Ohio and I think this album was where
    their cousin Chris Jasper made his debut with the band. Also, only Ronnie sings all the leads if I remember correctly...These cats got me
    through a lot of shit back in the day; glad to see a mention of them...
    Thanks Splanky. While the cover of The Isley's Giving It Back shows the brothers holding acoustic guitars, I don't believe that any of them actually played them. It does however reflect the laid-back mood of the album (and the fact that it's mostly covers of songs from the singer songwriter/soft rock genre). Also, this is the first Isley Bros. to feature the work of Chris Jasper on keyboards & Ernie Isley's great guitar work on "Ohio/Machine Gun".
    Last edited by Motown Eddie; 09-25-2017 at 11:32 AM.

  20. #20
    Eddie, O' Kelly and Rudolph have been credited with bass and/or
    guitar playing before, I was just wondering about Ronnie. There've
    been a number of artists with musical abilities they don't usually
    feature in their own performances or recordings...I bet a lot of folks
    didn't know Al Green could pluck a few strings with some skill...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDOPPfAyM
    I was involved in a discussion a while back about rappers who
    could play musical instruments, the most famous being Flavor Flav...

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by splanky View Post
    Eddie, O' Kelly and Rudolph have been credited with bass and/or
    guitar playing before, I was just wondering about Ronnie. There've
    been a number of artists with musical abilities they don't usually
    feature in their own performances or recordings...I bet a lot of folks
    didn't know Al Green could pluck a few strings with some skill...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDOPPfAyM
    I was involved in a discussion a while back about rappers who
    could play musical instruments, the most famous being Flavor Flav...
    Splanky-a quick glance at the personnel credits for Givin' It Back do not credit Ronnie Isley (nor brothers Rudolph & O' Kelly) with playing guitar on the album. In fact, you do find the beginnings of the "3+3" lineup (with Chris Jasper, Marvin & Ernie Isley with others) on the sessions. However, I wasn't aware that O' Kelly & Rudolph had played guitar/bass on earlier Isley Bros. LPs. And that clip of Al Green playing guitar on "Simply Beautiful" was a pleasant surprise.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    Miki Howard's Pillow Talk ​album is an excellent cover set as well!
    Will check that out...I LOVE Miki

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by glencro View Post
    Aretha, Michael McDonald, Natalie Cole, David Bowie, Luther and so many others have done cover albums (full albums of remakes). What are you favorites.

    Some of mine would be:

    Regina Belle "Reaching Back"
    Natalie Cole "Unforgettable with Love"
    Patti Austin "The Real Me"
    Seal "SOUL"
    Phil Perry "Classic Love Songs"

    Regina Belle also had a more jazz orientated covers album titled 'Lazy Afternoon' which was also very good. I love her version of 'If I Ruled The World'.

  24. #24
    Bump:

    I just discovered Mica Paris' Soul Classics CD from 2005. Since I just scored a copy today ($5 used!), I haven't had a chance to listen as of yet. But with a voice like Mica's and a tracklist like this, it can't miss! Will report back as soon as I give it a spin.


    • 1
      Tracks of My Tears
    • 2
      Let's Stay Together
    • 3
      In the Ghetto
    • 4
      Standing in the Shadows of Love
    • 5
      I Can't Stop Loving You
    • 6
      You Send Me
    • 7
      What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
    • 8
      What's Going On
    • 9
      I'm Gonna Make You Love Me
    • 10
      Walk Away From Love
    • 11
      Amazing Grace

  25. #25
    Mary Wilson's "Up Close".

    Track list:

    "Here's To Life"
    "Smile"
    "Body & Soul"
    "I Believe In You & Me"
    "Spring Is Here"
    "Fields of Gold"
    "I Remember You"/"The Girls from Ipanema"/"Mas Que Nada"
    "New York State of Mind"
    "Don't Know Why"
    "My World Is Empty Without You"
    "Tears In Heaven"
    "I Am Changing"
    "Both Sides Now"
    "What A Wonderful World"
    Last edited by marv2; 03-23-2019 at 08:18 PM.

  26. #26
    Hey sans, I have that Mica Paris album and it is great! Great voice and great production. Love her version of "Walk Away From Love"!
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 03-23-2019 at 11:10 PM.

  27. #27
    First 2 to pop in my head:

    Temptations "Greatest Hits 2"
    Archie Bell & The Drells "There's Gonna Be A Show Down" & "Tighten UP"

  28. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey sans, I have that Mica Paris album and it is great! Great voice and great production. Love her version of "Walk Away From Love"!
    Great! Of course, I trust your judgment and will bump again when I get the chance.

  29. #29
    Nice post,james brown's tribute lp to little willie john.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,685
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Regina Belle also had a more jazz orientated covers album titled 'Lazy Afternoon' which was also very good. I love her version of 'If I Ruled The World'.
    That Lazy Afternoon album is a favorite of mine. She and George Duke were great together.

  31. #31
    Wallflower - Diana Krall
    Complete Reprise - Sinatra & Jobim
    Songs From The Last Century - George Michael
    Timeless - Kenny Latimore
    New York Rhapsody - Lang Lang
    Unconditional love - Ruben Studdard
    Who'll Speak For Love & The Look Of Love - Trijntje Oosterhuis

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post
    Wallflower - Diana Krall
    Complete Reprise - Sinatra & Jobim
    Songs From The Last Century - George Michael
    Timeless - Kenny Latimore
    New York Rhapsody - Lang Lang
    Unconditional love - Ruben Studdard
    Who'll Speak For Love & The Look Of Love - Trijntje Oosterhuis
    I have and like "Songs From The Last Century" - George Michael

  33. #33
    Johnny Adams ‎– Walking On A Tightrope (The Songs Of Percy Mayfield)

    For those who don't know this gem here it is :


  34. #34
    IMHO, "The Soulful Strings Plays Gamble & Huff" is a good one. Symphonyc Chi-Sound covering symphonic Philly Sound, the strings conducted by Carl Davis at their best, mellow instrumental takes of Jerry Butler's 60's G & H classics among others.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Hey sans, I have that Mica Paris album and it is great! Great voice and great production. Love her version of "Walk Away From Love"!
    Okay, Tom, just finished listening. As big of a Mica enthusiast as I am, I have to say that I'm not as taken as you are by it. I found it to be a by-the-numbers (if pleasantly so) karaoke affair. "Let's Stay Together," for me, is the only track on which she cuts loose. I give it a lukewarm 6.5. *shrugs*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.