[REMOVE ADS]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Supremes Ultimate Christmas 2-CD

Coming Nov. 3 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Merr...s=the+supremes
    Last edited by nathanj06; 09-13-2017 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Coming Nov. 17 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

This looks like a must have for the holiday season. Thank you nathanj06 .
    Last edited by Bluebrock; 09-13-2017 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Not finished my post

Indeed; quite a nice surprise. LOTS of bonus cuts.

Including duets between Diana & Flo and Diana & Mary!

Interesting. Real Gone Music, eh! So Universal is finally allowing 3rd party companies for the Supremes. Maybe we'll also get Funny Girl, The Wiz and Baby It's Me on CD from them. I just ordered 15 cd's from Real Gone Music's sale yesterday.

Odd, that the release announcement appeared on amazon before the announcement on either Real Gone or Second Disc's websites. Amazon now says that the release will be Nov 3rd.

Andy & George had been saying that there was more unreleased from Merry Christmas. Was kind of hoping that we'd get the instrumental of Santa Baby that didn't get Diana's vocals. George hinted at several christmas music tracks that didn't get Diana vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    So Universal is finally allowing 3rd party companies for the Supremes. Maybe we'll also get Funny Girl, The Wiz and Baby It's Me on CD from them.
    I'm real happy about this finally being released on CD and with new unreleased material. I, also, hope we get CD releases on those other digital-only releases.

Thanks, nathanj06, for alerting us to this release.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanj06 View Post
    Coming Nov. 17 from Real Gone with involvement from Andy & George, The Supremes Ultimate Christmas. Yet another version but looks quite interesting.

Wow! This is Great News; thanks for sharing Nathanj!

Not that interested in having yet another Supremes Christmas, but the duet tracks guarantee that I'll purchase this as soon as available.

For those of us who are Diana fans, longing for some new recordings from her, wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!

Can't get excited about this one - original Motown Christmas songs are good but generally I don't get enthralled by Motown versions of carols etc. That said, Flo's "O Holy Night" is just one of the best Christmas songs anywhere, anytime. I will buy it though, because it's important to support CD releases I think and it is good to see the folks who matter are listening to that [[but never would I have bought it on download at all).

It looks as if Motown/Universal has beat the bootlegger who has been having cd's manufactured & sold on ebay. He/she usually takes bonus tracks off digital releases or expanded editions as was shown on another thread {the listing of the bootleg Ballads & Blues cd}. If he/she's advertising a Supremes Merry Christmas his/hers won't have the extra post-digital release bonus tracks.

I'm surprised I caught that as most on here are much more alert to these releases than I am. You're very welcome, glad I could help.

Quote Originally Posted by markdtiller View Post
    Including duets between Diana & Flo and Diana & Mary!
    There are Christmas recordings from that session with both Florence and Mary? I've had the two songs [[Silent Night and O Holy Night) that Florence recorded but did not make the original album.

Quote Originally Posted by Philles/Motown Gary View Post
    wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!
    I've thought about that before, not just with Diana but with all of the living Motown legends, cutting vocals today on Motown tracks that never received vocals back in the day. I think that would make an interesting project that might catch the public's interest.

Quote Originally Posted by mysterysinger View Post
    That said, Flo's "O Holy Night" is just one of the best Christmas songs anywhere, anytime.
    It's criminal that it was left off the original album. I can think of three or four songs I would have easily replaced with "Oh Holy Night". Flo killed that.

well at least we are getting a new ross/ supremes collection. not exactly what I was hoping for......but i'll take it.
    come on with Ross 78 ..think they are holding out to drive up the cost,...lol

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I've thought about that before, not just with Diana but with all of the living Motown legends, cutting vocals today on Motown tracks that never received vocals back in the day. I think that would make an interesting project that might catch the public's interest.
    Great idea, RanRan! Let's do it!!!

Fantastic news! Can't wait.

A physical CD?! Finally someone listened to us. Good news.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I like it! For starters, they could round up Diana, Mary, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Annette, Katherine, Cal & The Velvelettes, Brenda, Kim, Smokey, Otis, Dennis, Stevie, Lionel, and Pete Rivera. And any other Motown survivors whom I may have inadvertently left out. Bring on those unfinished Motown masters!

For those of us who are Diana fans, longing for some new recordings from her, wouldn't it be something [[miraculous!) if she were to add her current-day lead vocals to those unfinished Supremes Christmas tracks!
    A nice thought my friend, but no hope of it actually happening. The best you can hope for is an expanded "very special season" with a handful of bonus cuts from the vaults. It could yet happen.

OMG! This is fantastic! I was really annoyed that there was a digital only release but now we get a CD and with all these extra tracks. I love the original album and I really cant wait to get this edition.

Hopefully this also means we will get more physical CD's, like The Wiz, Baby It's Me and Funny Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    A nice thought my friend, but no hope of it actually happening. The best you can hope for is an expanded "very special season" with a handful of bonus cuts from the vaults. It could yet happen.
    Well, Bluebrock, I know you're probably right, but it's still fun to pretend, even though it would be "miraculous"!

An expanded "Very Special Season" with bonus cuts would be wonderful! I wonder if the tracks from "Making Spirits Bright" could also be used as bonus tracks, to put all the Christmas recordings from that era together on one release.

Do you know of any further developments on the Motown 1989-1999 expanded editions Bluebrock?

The more I think about it, the more I like it! For starters, they could round up Diana, Mary, Martha, Betty, Rosalind, Annette, Katherine, Cal & The Velvelettes, Brenda, Kim, Smokey, Otis, Dennis, Stevie, Lionel, and Pete Rivera. And any other Motown survivors whom I may have inadvertently left out. Bring on those unfinished Motown masters!
    Agreed Phillies. All it would take is some powerful people to get behind the project. IMO that's what these kinds of ideas are always missing, someone with power and clout in the industry pushing it all together. That's really the only way you're going to get a Diana, Smokey, Stevie and Lionel to sign on. And while all those others you mentioned would probably do it no matter what, if you have the BIG names on board first, all the others will definitely be in.

Here's a link to The Second Disc's announcement of the release:

https://theseconddisc.com/2017/09/br...rry-christmas/

Bluebrock, perhaps that could happen and it will finally get a USA release! I can't believe it has never been released in the USA.

Bluerock, the projects that you've spoke of possibly happening, the expanded editions of EMI/Ross Records 1989-1999 releases, does this include releases in the US, or is it Europe only ?

This release happening, gives me hope that we'll finally also get Ross '78 Expanded, Sing H/D/H Expanded and more. Looks like those won't come until after the 1st of 2018. Plus maybe hope for the Digital only releases Funny Girl, Baby It's Me and The Wiz possibly even more Expanded when released on CD.

I wonder if the duets mentioned were recorded during the original sessions or if they are engineered like "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" from "Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded"? My guess is that they are engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    I wonder if the duets mentioned were recorded during the original sessions or if they are engineered like "Shake Me, Wake Me [[When It's Over)" from "Supremes A' Go-Go Expanded"? My guess is that they are engineered.
    I am curious about these duets also because I've heard people say that Mary and Florence were not involved in the "Merry Christmas" album sessions.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    I am curious about these duets also because I've heard people say that Mary and Florence were not involved in the "Merry Christmas" album sessions.
    I read that Mary and Flo are on the two 45 tracks -- "Children's Christmas Song" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", but that's it. The rest of the album is Diana and The Andantes.

This is amazing. I had a bootleg MP3 of Diana doing the first verse of 'Silent Night' years ago, but have since lost it. Can't wait to hear a crisp copy of it. Although, what I do remember of it was that the key was MUCH to high for Diana [[similarly to the way 'Autumn Leaves' and 'Over the Rainbow' were).

The fact that Mary is on here, too, with a lead is fantastic. Can't wait for this to come out soon enough!

Has there ever been an a specific explanation why Flo and Mary wernt on the album, as it was earlier in their career and during a less Andante period it seems to me

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticated_soul View Post
    Honestly I don't care whether they're engineered or not, given they did such an amazing job on Shake Me Wake Me. Those duets are intriguing me now. Even though we just got a [[digital) deluxe version of Merry Christmas, which I dutifully purchased at the time, I am definitely getting this one. There's too much new stuff on this to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Has there ever been an a specific explanation why Flo and Mary wernt on the album, as it was earlier in their career and during a less Andante period it seems to me
    There was never a less andante period - unless it was pre 1962 - we just didn't know; Andy always said not to ask these questions because you'll get answers you don't want

i read that the supremes were home from a tour and were to take a break but it was decided that a christmas album was a good idea and diana spent her vacation recording the christmas album

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    To go off of what David said, and I believe Mary confirmed this in her book, but after their successful but exhausting run at the Copa Mary and Flo opted to take vacations and Diana continued working. But clearly Flo and Mary new the album was in the works as they all had some level of involvement in the album. The confirmation from this album of Mary having a solo confirms that all three Supremes contributed to this album in one way or another.

I think the 2017 mix of this album is so good I don't know if I'll ever listen to the original again!

While George is around, may I ask what Supremes songs are left in the vault that are not up to "Supreme Standards" that will never get released just for historical facts?

well I am not sure if we needed another Christmas collection but I am hopeful and a fan. I suppose we may get the rogers and hart 3rd version next.
    sorry I am happy this is being released on cd for those who did not get the download version. I do find it interesting there was a Mary lead version of a christmas song. strange but nice to hear. I have eaten my words b4 but I find this a bit disappointing. was expecting something else . but I do think the release is a good sign of things to come.so therefore I am happy for all of us. i imagine this means universal motown is back on a roll.
    hello George, thanks for stopping in. you are missed

I am ordering it today from Amazon. I love Diana's voice on Christmas songs.

Quote Originally Posted by djessie View Post
    An expanded "Very Special Season" with bonus cuts would be wonderful! I wonder if the tracks from "Making Spirits Bright" could also be used as bonus tracks, to put all the Christmas recordings from that era together on one release.

Do you know of any further developments on the Motown 1989-1999 expanded editions Bluebrock?
    They are still in the works as far as i know.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    Bluerock, the projects that you've spoke of possibly happening, the expanded editions of EMI/Ross Records 1989-1999 releases, does this include releases in the US, or is it Europe only ?
    They are UK releases Greg.

I'll definitely be making space on the shelf for this one [[to squeeze in among my other 50-plus Motown Christmas CDs)! Nice one, Real Gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    Honestly I don't care whether they're engineered or not, given they did such an amazing job on Shake Me Wake Me. Those duets are intriguing me now. Even though we just got a [[digital) deluxe version of Merry Christmas, which I dutifully purchased at the time, I am definitely getting this one. There's too much new stuff on this to pass up.
    After the SupreMix of LILAIIMH, the "Shake, Wake Me" duet is my favorite track on A' Go-Go Expanded. I'd like to here more engineered duets of classic Motown songs. I'm really looking forward to hearing the ones included in this project.

so Mary Wilson recorded a solo version for this album ,strange. we are getting a duet. I suppose the liner notes will explain in more detail

I read that Mary and Flo are on the two 45 tracks -- "Children's Christmas Song" and "Twinkle Twinkle Little Me", but that's it. The rest of the album is Diana and The Andantes.
    I don't think Flo and Mary are on either of those. They may be on "Children's Christmas Song" but they definitely aren't on "Twinkle".

Quote Originally Posted by antceleb12 View Post
    This is amazing. I had a bootleg MP3 of Diana doing the first verse of 'Silent Night' years ago, but have since lost it. Can't wait to hear a crisp copy of it. Although, what I do remember of it was that the key was MUCH to high for Diana [[similarly to the way 'Autumn Leaves' and 'Over the Rainbow' were).

The fact that Mary is on here, too, with a lead is fantastic. Can't wait for this to come out soon enough!
    Years ago there was a guy who used to post often in the Flo Ballard yahoo group named DavidLovesDiana. He used to make cds of all the bootleg stuff. I always remember that one of the songs he had on his collection list was a Diana led "Silent Night". When the Christmas set was released last year I expected this version to be there and was surprised when I didn't see it. Your description of it sounding as if the key was "MUCH" too high for Diana [[and using the examples of "Autumn Leaves" and "Rainbow") is EXACTLY how I imagined it to be [[nails on a chalkboard), which is why Florence may have ended up with "Silent Night" instead.

Quote Originally Posted by jobeterob View Post
    There was never a less andante period - unless it was pre 1962 - we just didn't know; Andy always said not to ask these questions because you'll get answers you don't want
    There's a fairly recent thread where everyone pitched in to figure out what was Supremes and what was Andantes, with very little disagreement [[on the actual subject, I think the thread did eventually devolve into the usual nonsense). And there certainly does appear to be an overwhelmingly less and more Andante period of the Supremes.