[REMOVE ADS]




Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 56
  1. #1

    Motown sings Motown - covers we wish we could have

    I know a lot of groups covered Motown songs. But often the arrangements were considerably different. Starting a list of covers using the primary/hit version arrangement

    Love Hangover - Supremes MSS w Scherrie on lead
    The Boss - Thelma Houston
    Johnny One Note [[Sing R&H) - Supremes w flo lead
    Take Me In Your Arms - Marvelettes w Gladys lead
    Beginning of the End - four tops. Would also love a Sup version w Mary lead
    Loves gone bad - Martha and vandellas

  2. #2
    Great thread sup_fan!

    I have wondered about what a Jimmy Ruffin version of "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" would sound like... mmm... yes

    I'll probably come back with loads more!

  3. #3
    thought of some more!

    Where did our love go - mary wells
    Surrender - Supremes lead by Jean

  4. #4
    Quicksand, I'm Ready For Love, Jimmy Mack, Darling Baby; The Supremes

  5. #5
    Gladys Knight & The Pips' "The End Of Our Road" is one of my fave Norman Whitfield songs and and I would love to hear versions by maybe Edwin Starr or The Undisputed Truth...

    The Monitors' "Bring Back The Love" done by The Temptations... ooh yes...

  6. #6
    Always thought the songs given to Diana Ross and Thelma Houston for the Thank God Its Friday movie were given to the wrong singer so how about
    Lovin' Livin' and Givin' - Thelma Houston
    Love Masterpiece - Diana Ross

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Always thought the songs given to Diana Ross and Thelma Houston for the Thank God Its Friday movie were given to the wrong singer so how about
    Lovin' Livin' and Givin' - Thelma Houston
    Love Masterpiece - Diana Ross
    Haha... nice, masterblaster, I'd never thought of that before... just swap 'em round...

    Also, Diana would be amazing doing a version of Thelma's sassy "Triflin"

  8. #8
    "Darling Baby" by D-M-F/C
    "Keep On Loving Me" by D-M-F/C***

    ***Could have been a hit single!!!! You can hear the Motown version by Frances Nero on YouTube.
    Last edited by longtimefan; 09-04-2017 at 08:59 PM.

  9. #9
    Cal Street & Richard Street- It Takes Two

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Cal Street & Richard Street- It Takes Two
    Oh now that would be lovely to hear... nice one lucky

  11. #11
    Stoned Love - Gladys Knight and the Pips

    Just My Imagination - Marvin Gaye

    I'll Be There - Diana and Marvin

    Never Can Say Goodbye - Thelma Houston

    The Bells - The Supremes [[Jean lead)

    Creepin' - The Supremes [[Mary lead)

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Cal Street & Richard Street- It Takes Two
    Interesting suggestion.

  13. #13
    My picks:
    Mary Wells doing "Mr. Misery" or "My Smile Is Just A Frown Turned Upside Down".
    Four Tops doing "I Guess I'll Always Love You"
    The Supremes doing "One Way Out"
    Gladys Knight & the Pips doing "Go Ahead And Laugh"

  14. #14
    Loving this thread. Here are a few of mine.

    "Sir Duke"-The Supremes w/Scherrie lead
    "Love Machine"-The Supremes-MSC or MSS
    "Stoned Love"-Stevie Wonder
    "Love Child"-Martha Reeves and the Vandellas

  15. #15
    Baby I'm For Real - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell
    You And I [[from Talking Book) - Diana Ross
    Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Four Tops

  16. #16
    We've mentioned this one before, but I haven't seen it on this current thread: "Come 'Round Here" - Four Tops

  17. #17
    Marvin Gaye -- Love A Go Go
    Isley Brothers -- Determination
    Isley Brothers -- Beauty's Only Skin Deep
    Isley Brothers -- It's So Hard Being A Loser
    Isley Brothers -- Just A Little Misunderstanding
    Isley Brothers -- Nothing's Too Good For My Baby
    Isley Brothers -- Ain't That Asking For Trouble
    Isley Brothers -- I Want My Baby Back

  18. #18
    These were covers that were actually recorded and shelved ? or just ones that everyone wished had been covered by those artists ?
    Last edited by greg jones; 09-05-2017 at 05:41 PM.

  19. #19
    Just fun requests. Lots of groups did covers of other Motown songs. Usually w different arrangements and backing tracks. Sometimes totally revamped. Like Blinky's version of The Hunter gets Captured

    Rather than discuss whether or not a new version is good or not I figured it would be fun to NOT change the track. So who would u wish to hear single some of your fav songs in the original version?

  20. #20
    Love Gladys doing Stoned!! And the pips would add a totally different element to the vocals

  21. #21
    "It's a Shame" - Temptations with Richard Street doing lead

  22. #22
    Sup Fan I was going to start this very same thread [[title the same!) last week in the hopes of redirecting attention back to the music and I got caught up in the drama and didn't do it. So glad you did though. And I'm loving these responses! Especially love the following suggestions:

    "Take Me In Your Arms" for the Marvelettes [[I can totally hear Gladys Horton doing this justice)

    "I'm Ready for Love"- Supremes [[I've mentioned in a previous thread that other than Martha having this cut, I wish it had gone to the Supremes because it's so great)

    "Just My Imagination"- Marvin Gaye [[I'm not a big fan of this song, even though it has my favorite Temptation singing lead. But I think Marvin singing it would've been fantastic.)

    "I'll Be There"- Diana and Marvin [[Perfect!)

    "I Guess I'll Always Love You"- Four Tops [[I can literally hear the Tops doing this tune in my head!)

    "Go Ahead and Laugh"- Gladys and Pips [[Gladys would've murdered this song.)

    "Baby I'm For Real"- Marvin and Tammi [[Suddenly I'm sad that this never happened. They would've been perfect on it.)

    You and I- Diana Ross [[I think she would've killed this had she recorded it, same track and all.)

  23. #23
    Here are my suggestions:

    Love the idea of the Supremes [[MSS) doing "Love Hangover", except I would have Mary sing lead on the first part of the song and then have Scherrie come in on the disco part.

    "Going Down for the Third Time" [[Supremes)- Martha and the Vandellas

    As Long As There Is L-O-V-E Love [[Jimmy Ruffin)- Marvin Gaye

    Happy [[Michael Jackson)- Diana Ross

    Signed, Sealed, Delivered [[Stevie Wonder)- J5 w/ MJ on lead, but I think Jermaine could also sing it well

    Hey Love [[Stevie Wonder)- Marvin Gaye

    You'll Never Cherish a Love So True [[Delphis)- Supremes w/ Flo on lead

    Ask the Lonely [[Four Tops)- Temptations w/ either David or Paul on lead, I think they both would've done it well

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Happy [[Michael Jackson)- Diana Ross
    RanRan, if you haven't seen this, it should make you...happy! [@ 2:07]:


  25. #25
    Don't Leave Me This Way - Four Tops

    It's So Hard Being A Loser - Jimmy Ruffin

  26. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    RanRan, if you haven't seen this, it should make you...happy! [@ 2:07]:
    Thanks Sans!! While it sounds like she was struggling vocally a bit, it still sounds nice to my ears. Supposedly there's a live version of her doing "Happy" from the 1974 Caesar's Palace show that didn't make the final album. Hopefully it will see the light of day at some point. Thanks again Sans!

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks Sans!! While it sounds like she was struggling vocally a bit, it still sounds nice to my ears. Supposedly there's a live version of her doing "Happy" from the 1974 Caesar's Palace show that didn't make the final album. Hopefully it will see the light of day at some point. Thanks again Sans!
    You got it, kiddo! Yes, while she struggled and needed a lyric sheet, her magic is undeniable as always.

  28. #28
    honest man Guest
    Great choice Ranran Baby im for real Marvin and Tammi 2 just my imagination Marvin.Excellent suggestions if only.cheers.

  29. #29
    Great thread! Loving it.

    My suggestions:
    * Standing In The Shadows Of Love [[Four Tops) - Marvin Gaye
    * Reflections [[Supremes) - The Marvelettes [[Wanda Lead)
    *What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted [[Jimmy Ruffin) - David Ruffin
    * I Heard It Through The Grapevine [[Marvin Gaye) - Chuck Jackson
    *Every Little Bit Hurts [[Brenda Holloway) - The Supremes [[Jean Terrell Lead)
    *Contract of Love [[Steve Wonder) - The Jackson 5
    * Do You Love Me [[Contours) - Jr. Walker
    * You Need Love Like I Do [[Don't You) [[Gladys & the Pips) - The Four Tops
    * Never Can Say Goodbye [[Jackson 5) - Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Got To Give It Up [[Marvin Gaye) - Eddie Kendricks

  30. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Great thread! Loving it.

    My suggestions:
    * Standing In The Shadows Of Love [[Four Tops) - Marvin Gaye
    * Reflections [[Supremes) - The Marvelettes [[Wanda Lead)
    *What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted [[Jimmy Ruffin) - David Ruffin
    * I Heard It Through The Grapevine [[Marvin Gaye) - Chuck Jackson
    *Every Little Bit Hurts [[Brenda Holloway) - The Supremes [[Jean Terrell Lead)
    *Contract of Love [[Steve Wonder) - The Jackson 5
    * Do You Love Me [[Contours) - Jr. Walker
    * You Need Love Like I Do [[Don't You) [[Gladys & the Pips) - The Four Tops
    * Never Can Say Goodbye [[Jackson 5) - Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Got To Give It Up [[Marvin Gaye) - Eddie Kendricks
    Interesting list Luciano. It got me thinking about the following 2 alternate versions:

    You Need Love Like I Do - Yvonne Fair
    Got To Give It Up - Teena Marie

  31. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
    "Darling Baby" by D-M-F/C
    "Keep On Loving Me" by D-M-F/C***

    ***Could have been a hit single!!!! You can hear the Motown version by Frances Nero on YouTube.
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  21.1 KB
    Frances did a fine job on it. Her version should have been a hit. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have heard singing it [[Kim Weston, Brenda Holloway, Carolyn Crawford, Tammi Terrell, Mary Wells, The Velvelettes).


    Maybe I'd have liked to hear Blinky sing "California Soul" to The Messengers' great Funk Brothers' background tracks.

    Jimmy Ruffin's "On The Avenue" done by The Fantastic Four or by The Contours with Dennis Edwards on lead.

    "Mr. Misery" done by Carolyn Crawford

    "Everybody Needs Love" done by The Monitors [[Richard Street lead)

    "You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet" [[Mary Love) done by The Velvelettes

    "Let Me Know" [[Mary Love) by Mary Wells

    "Thank You Love" [[Billy Eckstine's background) done by Dennis Edwards' Contours

    "Just The Way You Are" [[Marv Johnson) by The Monitors [[Richard Street lead)

    "That Was My Girl" [[Parliaments) done by The Temptations [[David Ruffin & Eddie Kendricks switch leads like in "Your My Everything")

    "If You Can Stand Me" [[Tamala Lewis) done by Kim Weston

    "Choo Choo Train" [[Little Lisa) done by The Marvelettes
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-07-2017 at 11:57 PM.

  32. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Luciano View Post
    Great thread! Loving it.

    My suggestions:
    * Standing In The Shadows Of Love [[Four Tops) - Marvin Gaye
    * Reflections [[Supremes) - The Marvelettes [[Wanda Lead)
    *What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted [[Jimmy Ruffin) - David Ruffin
    * I Heard It Through The Grapevine [[Marvin Gaye) - Chuck Jackson
    *Every Little Bit Hurts [[Brenda Holloway) - The Supremes [[Jean Terrell Lead)
    *Contract of Love [[Steve Wonder) - The Jackson 5
    * Do You Love Me [[Contours) - Jr. Walker
    * You Need Love Like I Do [[Don't You) [[Gladys & the Pips) - The Four Tops
    * Never Can Say Goodbye [[Jackson 5) - Gladys Knight and the Pips
    Got To Give It Up [[Marvin Gaye) - Eddie Kendricks
    I can definitely hear Michael singing "Contract Of Love" and David singing "Brokenhearted". Gladys doing "Never Can Say Goodbye" would've been killer.

  33. #33
    "For Once In My Life" - "traditional" style - done by Marvin Gaye
    Last edited by Ngroove; 09-08-2017 at 11:02 PM.

  34. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    I can definitely hear Michael singing "Contract Of Love" and David singing "Brokenhearted". Gladys doing "Never Can Say Goodbye" would've been killer.
    I agree. For some reason I can hear David singing the the line "Cold and alone, no comfort in sight" in my head.

  35. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozmo View Post
    Interesting list Luciano. It got me thinking about the following 2 alternate versions:

    You Need Love Like I Do - Yvonne Fair
    Got To Give It Up - Teena Marie
    Great suggestions for those songs!

  36. #36
    Jimmy Mack.....Supremes

  37. #37
    The Four Tops definitely should've done those James Dean/William Weatherspoon songs.
    1. I'VE PASSED THIS WAY BEFORE
    2.LOVE GIVES, LOVE TAKES AWAY
    3. IT'S SO HARD BEING A LOSER
    4. FAREWELL IS A LONELY SOUND
    many many more.

  38. #38
    Let Yourself Go/IGLMHDTW/love I never knew you could feel - Teena Marie
    Floy Joy- Wanda Rodgers
    Superstition- supremes w Jean lead

  39. #39
    Hey, nobody wants to hear Smokey??



    David Ruffin: "DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY"
    questionable if he'd outperform Teddy , but I'd like to hear him try!

    Eddie Kendricks : "CRUISIN'"

    Billy Preston : "I'M COMING OUT"

  40. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Ngroove View Post
    "For Once In My Life" - "traditional" style - done by Marvin Gaye
    Absolutely! And I can hear him doing Stevie's version too.

  41. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    Hey, nobody wants to hear Smokey??
    I Hear a Symphony [[Supremes)- the Miracles

    Take Me In Your Arms and Rock Me [[Kim Weston)- the Miracles [[might seem like a risky choice but believe it or not I think it would work)

    If It's Magic [[Stevie)- Smokey Robinson

  42. #42
    Great thread Sup_fan,

    May I suggest the Originals doing J Walkers What Does It Take and Bobby Taylors I Am Your Man

  43. #43
    Tammi Terrell on Carolyn Crawford's "I'm Ready For Love"

    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas on The Supremes' "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes"

  44. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    David Ruffin: "DON'T LEAVE ME THIS WAY"
    questionable if he'd outperform Teddy , but I'd like to hear him try!

    Eddie Kendricks : "CRUISIN'"
    Oooh, those are good ones, boogie

  45. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    Great thread Sup_fan,

    May I suggest the Originals doing J Walkers What Does It Take and Bobby Taylors I Am Your Man
    Yes to the Originals doing "What Does It Take"!

  46. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post

    Martha Reeves & The Vandellas on The Supremes' "When The Lovelight Starts Shining Through His Eyes"
    Great suggestion. I don't usually hear the two groups doing each other's songs much justice, but I think Martha and the girls would have really done a great job on "Lovelight".

  47. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Tammi Terrell on Carolyn Crawford's "I'm Ready For Love"
    Oh my, what on earth am I saying!? "I'm Ready For Love" by Carolyn Crawford??!! I meant "I'll Come Running"!!!!

    Another typo, eh, RanRan?!! Lol

  48. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Oh my, what on earth am I saying!? "I'm Ready For Love" by Carolyn Crawford??!! I meant "I'll Come Running"!!!!

    Another typo, eh, RanRan?!! Lol
    You're full of 'em Tom!!

  49. #49
    I'd like to have heard the Supremes cover "Take Me In Your Arms" with Flo on lead. I really think she could have rocked the song out with Mary and Diana providing great backup vocals.

  50. #50
    I would have loved to hear Diana Ross & The Supremes singing The Marvelettes' "When You're Young And In Love". I'm pretty sure it would have made Van McCoy's day!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

[REMOVE ADS]

Ralph Terrana
MODERATOR

Welcome to Soulful Detroit! Kindly Consider Turning Off Your Ad BlockingX
Soulful Detroit is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] and donations. We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to Soulful Detroit. [You must be logged in for ads to disappear]
DONATE HERE »
And have Ads removed.