[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Shorty long

Cool Shorty long

Apart from the UK essential collection, its a crying shame [[pun intended) that no MAJOR overview of this late, lamented, very talented fellow has come to light. Listening to Wish You Were Here at the moment.[[No pun indented). What a great talent. He deserves a major release on CD..Paulo XXX

I agree, Paulo, it would be nice to have a more comprehensive Shorty Long anthology than the UK Essential Collection. He had three singles on Harvey Fuqua's Tri-Phi label before that label was absorbed by Motown. To my knowledge these sides are not available on CD. There are also a number of tracks from his two Motown [[Soul) albums that were not included on the Essential Collection and not released as singles [[therefore, not on any of the Complete Motown Singles boxes). By my count there have been four previously unreleased Shorty Long tracks on the Cellarful series, so I'm not sure if there is any more unreleased material by him in the vaults. Shorty was one of the most "down home" artists to record for Motown and his recordings probably do not appeal to many of the people who love the more Top 40 oriented Motown artists like the Supremes or the Four Tops. Realistically, there may not be enough people interested in the music of Shorty Long to get Universal Music Group excited about releasing an anthology on him.

That's where Hip-o Select come in handy. I'd be down for a collection on Shorty Long like the one they did for Tammi Terrell. sad they both died within a year of each other. He's definitely underrated.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Apart from the UK essential collection, its a crying shame [[pun intended) that no MAJOR overview of this late, lamented, very talented fellow has come to light. Listening to Wish You Were Here at the moment.[[No pun indented). What a great talent. He deserves a major release on CD..Paulo XXX
    Your collection must be as vast as your knowledge. Amazing. Have a great day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nothing But Soul View Post
    Realistically, there may not be enough people interested in the music of Shorty Long to get Universal Music Group excited about releasing an anthology on him.
    I agree. But that's not to say some label interested in blues artists would not do a reissue on Shorty Long. But I think he's long been forgotten. You don't even hear his music on oldies radio.

Confession time: Back in the late 60s, I always relegated Shorty Long to the novelty pile after "Here Comes The Judge". [[Yeah, I knew Function At The Junction but I thought that was an aberration.) Didn't think he was much more than that. Well I was wrong.

I bought the Complete Motown Singles 1964-65 and they had Devil With A Blue Dress [[which I hadn't remembered he did originally), It's A Crying Shame a/o and it was a revelation. Had to go out and get The Essential immediately. I was surprised the Essential left off Out To Get You [[the B-side to Crying Shame). The only place to get that currently is Complete Motown Singles.

Shorty Long deserves a Hippo style complete Motown [[and TriPhi) release. Would open up more than a few ears and be a great tribute to a musician who was with us all too briefly.

SO glad to see this response to a wonderful artist. Yes, there IS a lot more to Shorty than Here Comes The Judge & Function at the Junction. Woman dont wanna do right from the cellarfull shows that. I LOVE that track. Do hope a proper Anthology will come in due course. Paulo xxxx

Please check out my YouTube Channel, where I have uploaded Shorty Long's Tri Phi singles.

http://www.youtube.com/user/CommonMan1978

I agree with everyone who says this very talented singer deserves much more recognition.

Never heard these Shorty Long tracks, SMF. They're raw... and their age is showing. Thanks. Nice to see you're an Originals fan too...

Whoops! A correction to my earlier email. Last night I pulled out Essential to listen to and realized "It's A Crying Shame" is not on it. The flip side "Out To Get You" is. Either way, both are kicking tracks and well-worth hearing.

And thanks to Soul Music Fan for posting those Tri Phi tracks. It's really appreciated.