[REMOVE ADS]

Why no Four Tops 60th anniversary

Always wondered why nothing happened on that very impressive milestone. No DVD or cds. We need more releases. Its now their 63rd anniversary. The lack of releases is really frustrating especially considering how all the singers today who can't even sing get magazines, cds, DVD, etc.

I dunno what's going on. The book still has not been released yet. After about a 7 year wait.

This is disappointing.

TPTB just doesn't seem to place commemorating these great milestones for Motown artists on the priority list. Sixty three years is a great achievement and Duke is still doing his thing, carrying on the Tops legacy. There should've been something.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    I dunno what's going on. The book still has not been released yet. After about a 7 year wait.
    What's this about a book? Details?

Yes indeed, The Tops need more recognition! 63 years is amazing when you think about it.

Yes but there is really only one Top left. After Duke passes, what then!

After Duke, all that history that hasn't been told from his perspective will be gone. Lets get the history lesson now please.

Unfortunately most fans contemporary to this magnificent group are either gone or at an age when purchasing CDs is either not a priority or a financial possibility. The economics just ain't there. This coming from a fan who would love to see expanded editions of Tops lps.

Duke has been developing a book about the 4 Tops for years. He has been talking about releasing it for about 7 years. I dunno what the holdup is? Duke actually talked about starting a Broadway production of their story about 2 years ago. Otis has beat him to the punch I seems. I dunno if Duke has access to the resources necessary or what.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceNHarmony View Post
    Unfortunately most fans contemporary to this magnificent group are either gone or at an age when purchasing CDs is either not a priority or a financial possibility. The economics just ain't there. This coming from a fan who would love to see expanded editions of Tops lps.
    Very sadly, I think you are correct. As much as I love the Tops and as much as I would eagerly buy any media form of "Reach Out!" or any other expanded Tops edition, I just don't think the market is there for Universal. Maybe one of the other smaller companies, but they surely don't have the top notch staff [[Andy, George, Kevin) Universal has to actually dig in the vaults, mix, put the package together, and tempt us with it. They [the Universal team] clearly have a hard time getting Supremes stuff out, who, like it or not, still have enough cache with the general public to make their reissues somewhat viable.

Maybe I'm wrong and the market is there and there are other issues in the way. Would be nice to know, as I drool over the thought of expanded Tops, Tempts, M/Vandellas, Marvelettes, Miracles and others.
    Last edited by thanxal; 09-14-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Encyclopedia Mack View Post
    Duke has been developing a book about the 4 Tops for years. He has been talking about releasing it for about 7 years. I dunno what the holdup is? Duke actually talked about starting a Broadway production of their story about 2 years ago. Otis has beat him to the punch I seems. I dunno if Duke has access to the resources necessary or what.
    Thank you for the additional info Mack. My fear has been that of all the hugely popular and successful Motown groups the only one we won't have a first person recollection from [[autobiographically speaking) is the Four Tops. Two Supremes have recorded their "sides" of the story, Martha has detailed the history of the Vandellas, Otis wrote his side, and Kat Anderson was heavily involved with the Marvelettes book [[as a source). With Duke now the last man standing it's imperative that we get his recollections to add to the Motown story. I can't imagine he would have trouble getting it out.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    Very sadly, I think you are correct. As much as I love the Tops and as much as I would eagerly buy any media form of "Reach Out!" or any other expanded Tops edition, I just don't think the market is there for Universal. Maybe one of the other smaller companies, but they surely don't have the top notch staff [[Andy, George, Kevin) Universal has to actually dig in the vaults, mix, put the package together, and tempt us with it. They [the Universal team] clearly have a hard time getting Supremes stuff out, who, like it or not, still have enough cache with the general public to make their reissues somewhat viable.

Maybe I'm wrong and the market is there and there are other issues in the way. Would be nice to know, as I drool over the thought of expanded Tops, Tempts, M/Vandellas, Marvelettes, Miracles and others.
    Thanxal, are the Supremes selling better than the Tempts? I'm actually shocked that the Tempts 60s albums haven't been getting the expanded treatment alongside the Supremes. In my mind the two group always seem to be so popular. Especially the Tempts. No disrespect to my Supremes, but everybody seems to love the Temptations, so I would think their albums would be easy money. Supremes, Tempts, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5, I would think reissues and expanded versions would be a constant money stream for the label.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanxal, are the Supremes selling better than the Tempts? I'm actually shocked that the Tempts 60s albums haven't been getting the expanded treatment alongside the Supremes. In my mind the two group always seem to be so popular. Especially the Tempts. No disrespect to my Supremes, but everybody seems to love the Temptations, so I would think their albums would be easy money. Supremes, Tempts, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Jackson 5, I would think reissues and expanded versions would be a constant money stream for the label.
    They must be outselling the Tempts. Andy once told us the way they get these special expanded editions out is often on the back of sales generated by the compilation sets. Therefore, if the Tempts were outselling the Supremes there would be an argument for expanded sets for the Tempts. This is just logic at work, so don't take it as gospel. Those of us who have worked for large companies know about using "logic" to do anything.

Edit: to your last comment... if there was money out there, they'd be after it.
    Last edited by thanxal; 09-14-2017 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thanxal View Post
    They must be outselling the Tempts. Andy once told us the way they get these special expanded editions out is often on the back of sales generated by the compilation sets. Therefore, if the Tempts were outselling the Supremes there would be an argument for expanded sets for the Tempts. This is just logic at work, so don't take it as gospel. Those of us who have worked for large companies know about using "logic" to do anything.

Edit: to your last comment... if there was money out there, they'd be after it.
    I hear ya Thanxal.