[REMOVE ADS]

Favorite alternate tracks

Hi all,
    I have taken to YouTube to listen to alternate tracks by Motown artists and got to wondering: what are YOUR favorite alternate tracks? I've not yet compiled my list yet because I haven't heard enough tracks to make a list.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Hi all,
    I have taken to YouTube to listen to alternate tracks by Motown artists and got to wondering: what are YOUR favorite alternate tracks? I've not yet compiled my list yet because I haven't heard enough tracks to make a list.
    The whole Marvin Gaye I Want You Deluxe cd

Quote Originally Posted by caliluv View Post
    The whole Marvin Gaye I Want You Deluxe cd
    Great choice! I'll add a few more.

"Head Title aka Distant Lover"- Marvin Gaye

"Mother Dear '66"- Supremes

"Jimmy Mack" hit version- Martha and Vandellas

"Since I Lost My Baby"- Temptations

"I Thought It Took a Long Time"- Diana Ross

I really like the alternate of The Supremes' "Love Child" that has different vocals, and an extra verse that never appeared in the original. It makes the song feel more complete if I'm honest.

Must be a very special version!

Quote Originally Posted by DJMoch View Post
    I really like the alternate of The Supremes' "Love Child" that has different vocals, and an extra verse that never appeared in the original. It makes the song feel more complete if I'm honest.
    I love the alternate version of "Love Child". Diana seems freer with her vocals, and the extra verse does make the song feel more complete.

Some of my favorite alt tracks:
    "People Gotta Be Free"-Martha Reeves and the Vandellas [[additional spoken lines)
    "Bill, When Are You Coming Back"-The Supremes [[alternate version from The Supremes Box Set)
    "The Hunter Gets Captured By the Game"-The Marvelettes [[mono version)

The alternate [[stereo!) version of Marvin Gaye's "Pride And Joy"...! Love it

Man, OH MAN does that extra verse add to the song! Consider this alternate version as being part of my list!!

Quote Originally Posted by jack020 View Post

Must be a very special version!
    So special! It hadn't been discovered until the exact moment I typed it up. Can you believe that? Another one I neglected to include on my list is the alternate to "I Thought It Took a Little Time". I don't know how I could forget to put that one in.

Quote Originally Posted by Thornton View Post

"Bill, When Are You Coming Back"-The Supremes [[alternate version from The Supremes Box Set)
    Love the alternate to "Bill". I also love the alternates to "Buttered Popcorn". I love that raw sound of those takes.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    So special! It hadn't been discovered until the exact moment I typed it up. Can you believe that? Another one I neglected to include on my list is the alternate to "I Thought It Took a Little Time". I don't know how I could forget to put that one in.
    Lol, see RanRan... this typing malarkey... it's not as easy as it seems...

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Have-Been-Made

Two of my new favorites are The Supremes singing Heatwave [[version 1) and It's The Same Old Song [[version 1) from the expanded A Go Go recording. Also, the alternate of the Supremes Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appeared on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics. That should have been the version on the original LP.

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Two of my new favorites are The Supremes singing Heatwave [[version 1) and It's The Same Old Song [[version 1) from the expanded A Go Go recording. Also, the alternate of the Supremes Everybody's Got The Right To Love that appeared on Greatest Hits & Rare Classics. That should have been the version on the original LP.
    I never liked that song until I heard the GH&RC version. Same sentiments for the alternate version of "Touch" found on the cassette version of GH&RC.

Love the alternate to "Bill". I also love the alternates to "Buttered Popcorn". I love that raw sound of those takes.
    Yes, the raw sound is what makes this version stand out to me. I think it would have done well as a single.

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Lol, see RanRan... this typing malarkey... it's not as easy as it seems...

https://soulfuldetroit.com/showthrea...Have-Been-Made

Thanks for the reminder Tom. I got a good laugh!

Quote Originally Posted by thommg View Post
    Two of my new favorites are The Supremes singing Heatwave [[version 1) and It's The Same Old Song [[version 1) from the expanded A Go Go recording.
    Now why didn't I think of those? Excellent selections, both of which- especially "Same Old Song"- were leaps and bounds superior versions to the ones that ended up on Sing HDH.

I love the slower alternate take of Ain't Nothing Like The Real Thing by Marvin & Tammi.

Also, as above, the alternate take of I Thought It Took A Little Time is brilliant - especially the fits of laughter at the end

I like the alternate version of NO MORE TEARSTAINED MAKE UP by Martha and the Vandellas.

My favorite alternate track is "Anger" by Marvin Gaye.

Quote Originally Posted by lockhartgary View Post
    Man, OH MAN does that extra verse add to the song! Consider this alternate version as being part of my list!!
    I still remember when I heard the Almighty Club Mix that they did of Love Child in the late 2000s, it was the first time that extra verse appeared in some form or other. That was the point I wished that the verse would somehow appear in a proper 1960s-era mix. Thankfully a few years later the Lost & Found set came out and I got my wish.

Now why didn't I think of those? Excellent selections, both of which- especially "Same Old Song"- were leaps and bounds superior versions to the ones that ended up on Sing HDH.
    Maybe it's me, but I didn't really like that early version of "Same Old Song". Something about the mix felt off to me, like it seemed lacking sound quality or whatever. But that may be my own ears.

As a sidebar, I'm still a bit annoyed by some of the alternate versions of tracks from Supremes '75 that appeared on the second box set. A number of them were very poor quality, and seemed to have been sourced from a not very-good tape. As an example, the alternate of Colour My World Blue -- I had a bootleg recording I found years ago and this released version didn't sound much better than that, sadly. Same with that one version of Sha-La Bandit [[I think the one labelled Version 3), it sounded horrible to me. But then, I'm picky picky when it comes to sound quality. I appreciate they saw the light of day, I just wish the quality of the source was better.

"Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" [['The Supremix') [[from Supremes A Go-Go Deluxe Edition)
    "What's Going On" [[Rhythm & Strings Mix) [[from What's Going On Deluxe Edition).

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Eddie View Post
    "Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart" [['The Supremix') [[from Supremes A Go-Go Deluxe Edition)
    "What's Going On" [[Rhythm & Strings Mix) [[from What's Going On Deluxe Edition).
    Add "Love is Like an Itching in My Heart" Supremix to my list! Like Otis Williams said, "Funkier than an unwashed armpit!"

Maybe it's me, but I didn't really like that early version of "Same Old Song". Something about the mix felt off to me, like it seemed lacking sound quality or whatever. But that may be my own ears.
    It did lack something in the sound, but I think that has more to do with the song never getting the full treatment during it's original recording period because HDH decided to go with the Tops and a different sound. Isn't there only so much mixing someone can do 50 years later? I don't know much about the technical aspect of sound mixing, so I'm only assuming. But I still think the 1965 version sounds way better than the Sing HDH version.

As of today I am the proud owner of the alternate heavy drum version acetate of "Get Ready" by the Temptations. I really like this version and was quite surprised I was the successful bidder on Ebay. The seller I bought the disc from posted the take on Youtube, not sure if it's been posted anywhere else.
    Darin

There are so many, but one of my favorites is "Dance 'N' Be Happy" by Marvin, the original version of "Love Party." It is such a great dance song! When I was still DJ-ing, I would play that song and the crowd would go wild.

As a sidebar, I'm still a bit annoyed by some of the alternate versions of tracks from Supremes '75 that appeared on the second box set. A number of them were very poor quality, and seemed to have been sourced from a not very-good tape. As an example, the alternate of Colour My World Blue -- I had a bootleg recording I found years ago and this released version didn't sound much better than that, sadly. Same with that one version of Sha-La Bandit [[I think the one labelled Version 3), it sounded horrible to me. But then, I'm picky picky when it comes to sound quality. I appreciate they saw the light of day, I just wish the quality of the source was better.
    And thankfully Andy, George and Harry were very upfront about the 2 Supremes 75 tracks you mention when they stated in the liner notes
    Note: The audio quality of tracks 12 and 13 on Disc 1 is not up to the level of the other songs on the collection, but they are the only sources available to bring you these fantastic alternate vocals.

Wouldn't it be great if during vault research better recordings of those 2 selections were to be found?

Oh, I didn't realize they brought it up in the liner notes. I obviously overlooked them, LOL. I feel a bit embarrassed now. But yeah, if pristine masters of them ever came out, I would gladly buy them in a heartbeat.

The alternate [[stereo!) version of Marvin Gaye's "Pride And Joy"...! Love it
    I have 5 versions of this song

Another favorite: The Supremes' "I Hear A Symphony" [[2012 extended remix from I Hear A Symphony Deluxe Edition).

I have 5 versions of this song
    Woah! Damn, caliluv, that's a lot. I didn't even know there were that many versions!! What's the difference between them all?

Woah! Damn, caliluv, that's a lot. I didn't even know there were that many versions!! What's the difference between them all?
    Here is a post I posted a while back

Funny this topic came up because I realized there were about 5 versions of this song.
    1. version on anthology disc 1
    2. Compact command performances
    3. Marvin collection disc 1 [[ with a break and if I remember correctly he does a sax Solo)
    4. Marvin Gaye the Master 1961-1984
    5. Marvin Gaye - That Stubborn Kinda Fella

I may be wrong but all of these versions sound different to me in one way or another. I just found compact performances version a couple of months ago.

I'll go back and listen to specific differences when I get a chance. I have them all
    Last edited by caliluv; 09-12-2017 at 11:01 PM.

Big favorites of mine are the extended stereo remixes of:

Four Tops-"Reach Out, I'll Be There" & "It's The Same Old Song"
    Diana Ross & the Supremes-"Reflections"
    Smokey Robinson & the Miracles-"The Tracks Of My Tears" & "Going To A Go-Go"
    Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell-"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"
    Marvin Gaye-"I Heard It Through The Grapevine"
    Mary Wells-"My Guy"

and the full length versions of;
    Martha & the Vandellas-"Heat Wave"
    The Marvelettes-"Please Mr. Postman"
    all from The Motown Box [[Shout! Factory/Motown-2005)

Here is a post I posted a while back

Funny this topic came up because I realized there were about 5 versions of this song.
    1. version on anthology disc 1
    2. Compact command performances
    3. Marvin collection disc 1 [[ with a break and if I remember correctly he does a sax Solo)
    4. Marvin Gaye the Master 1961-1984
    5. Marvin Gaye - That Stubborn Kinda Fella

I may be wrong but all of these versions sound different to me in one way or another. I just found compact performances version a couple of months ago.

I'll go back and listen to specific differences when I get a chance. I have them all
    Thanks caliluv

I love the alternate version of Marvin & Tammi's Keep On Lovin' Me Honey! M&T are on fire here.