[REMOVE ADS]

Thread: Garry Glenn

Garry Glenn

Been checking out this guy recently and have to say, wow, I'm impressed!

Garry was clearly a talented songwriter, producer, musician, and singer... he wrote for Eddie Kendricks [["Intimate Friends"!!!), Earth, Wind & Fire, The Emotions, Freddie Jackson [[and many more)... and recorded two albums of his own... one of which on Motown!

His 1980 GG debut is seriously fantastic... a splendid mix of soul, funk and disco that sounds ahead of its time IMO. Even his 1987 Motown LP Feels Good To Feel Good is excellent!!!

I'll post some videos of his stuff in a bit... y'all let me know what you think of it. And, if you know more about Garry, please feel free to post!! Thanks
    Last edited by TomatoTom123; 09-10-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Check out this tune!!!!

How about this delightful number!!!

Just lovely

Wonderfully funkayy!!!!

Thanks for posting Tom. I'm not familiar with Garry's work as a singer and I love all the tunes you've posted thus far, except "I Need You In My Life". The song is cool but doesn't do much for me. But "Gonna Give You My Love", "You're the One" and "Cause I Love You" are top tunes. Thanks for turning me on to them! I'm much more familiar with Garry's work as a songwriter and he penned some excellent tunes, including one of my all time favorite songs ever, Anita Baker's "Caught Up In the Rapture".

He wrote Caught up in the Rapture recorded by Anita Baker . He died in 1991.

I noticed on Discogs that his Motown cd is going up in price!
    https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?ma...d=206454&ev=mb

Quote Originally Posted by TomatoTom123 View Post
    Been checking out this guy recently and have to say, wow, I'm impressed!

Garry was clearly a talented songwriter, producer, musician, and singer... he wrote for Eddie Kendricks [["Intimate Friends"!!!), Earth, Wind & Fire, The Emotions, Freddie Jackson [[and many more)... and recorded two albums of his own... one of which on Motown!

His 1980 GG debut is seriously fantastic... a splendid mix of soul, funk and disco that sounds ahead of its time IMO. Even his 1987 Motown LP Feels Good To Feel Good is excellent!!!

I'll post some videos of his stuff in a bit... y'all let me know what you think of it. And, if you know more about Garry, please feel free to post!! Thanks
    He was a very talented guy who sadly died way too young. I have this motown album which is pretty good, but the debut one is as you rightly say even better Tom.
    A UK company has been trying to get these albums licensed for reissue for quite some time now.They have encountered problem after problem but perserverence is the key and hopefully we may see something in 2018. Thank you for the reminder of how talented Garry was. I was very saddened when i heard of his tragic death, and i didn't realise it happened so long ago. How time flies. Seems like only yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Thanks for posting Tom. I'm not familiar with Garry's work as a singer and I love all the tunes you've posted thus far, except "I Need You In My Life". The song is cool but doesn't do much for me. But "Gonna Give You My Love", "You're the One" and "Cause I Love You" are top tunes. Thanks for turning me on to them! I'm much more familiar with Garry's work as a songwriter and he penned some excellent tunes, including one of my all time favorite songs ever, Anita Baker's "Caught Up In the Rapture".
    Hey, RanRan, you're welcome!! Thanks for checking them out and commenting. They are indeed fantastic tunes. [[Including "I Need You In My Life", ahem... lol)

I myself am not familiar with Anita Baker but Garry did indeed write that song for her! I will have to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    He was a very talented guy who sadly died way too young. I have this motown album which is pretty good, but the debut one is as you rightly say even better Tom.
    A UK company has been trying to get these albums licensed for reissue for quite some time now.They have encountered problem after problem but perserverence is the key and hopefully we may see something in 2018. Thank you for the reminder of how talented Garry was. I was very saddened when i heard of his tragic death, and i didn't realise it happened so long ago. How time flies. Seems like only yesterday.
    Oh, definitely, Bluebrock. Garry was a talented songwriter and such a wonderful voice too.

Oh, wow, I didn't know that about the planned reissue. Good to hear! I have however already ordered the current CD reissue of Garry's GG so oh well! Lol

Garry's "Cause I Love You" was also recorded by The Emotions... not sure which version I love more...!

Garry also wrote this for Earth, Wind & Fire... mmm, so groovy... and good!!

And of course, Eddie Kendricks' beautiful "Intimate Friends"...

Hey, RanRan, you're welcome!! Thanks for checking them out and commenting. They are indeed fantastic tunes. [[Including "I Need You In My Life", ahem... lol)

I myself am not familiar with Anita Baker but Garry did indeed write that song for her! I will have to check it out.
    Oh Tom you must check out some of Anita's stuff. She released five EXCELLENT albums consecutively in the 80s and 90s, my two favorites being Rapture and Giving You the Best That I Got, both of which were Grammy Award winners during a time when the Grammys arguably still had a bit of integrity. Anita is also a Detroit girl. Here's the song Garry wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-b86LZ21c

Garry's "Cause I Love You" was also recorded by The Emotions... not sure which version I love more...!
    I have this song by the Emotions. Didn't even realize Garry is singing the same song. Even though I'm more familiar with the girls version, I must admit that I actually like Garry's better.

My word...I had NO idea that Mr. Glenn had passed away at all. How did I miss that? Indeed, he was a prodigious talent taken far too soon.
    And yes, TomatoTom, you must immerse yourself into Anita! His "Feels Good to Feel Good" with the amazing Sheila Hutchinson of The Emotions has always been a favorite of mine. Hadn't heard it in a thousand years! What memories of my coming of age:

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post
    My word...I had NO idea that Mr. Glenn had passed away at all. How did I miss that? Indeed, he was a prodigious talent taken far too soon.
    And yes, TomatoTom, you must immerse yourself into Anita! His "Feels Good to Feel Good" with the amazing Sheila Hutchinson of The Emotions has always been a favorite of mine. Hadn't heard it in a thousand years! What memories of my coming of age:
    I don't believe I've ever heard this one Sans. I like it!

I don't believe I've ever heard this one Sans. I like it!
    Bomb slow jam from my senior year of high school. It deserved to be huge; got a lot of play on one of my hometown's R&B stations.

Oh Tom you must check out some of Anita's stuff. She released five EXCELLENT albums consecutively in the 80s and 90s, my two favorites being Rapture and Giving You the Best That I Got, both of which were Grammy Award winners during a time when the Grammys arguably still had a bit of integrity. Anita is also a Detroit girl. Here's the song Garry wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-b86LZ21c
    Ok, RanRan, I'm listening right now. I like it. I have to admit I've been told [[and have previously agreed) that Anita's voice is a bit whiny and can be grating. But she's not really that bad. Very nice song. Sounds like a grower too!

Quote Originally Posted by sansradio View Post

Yea, sans, very sad. He left behind a lot of great music though.

And yes, that tune is wonderful as well! Very nice!!! And it's great that you're rediscovering it too

Great uptempo track

Lovely tune

Ok, RanRan, I'm listening right now. I like it. I have to admit I've been told [[and have previously agreed) that Anita's voice is a bit whiny and can be grating. But she's not really that bad. Very nice song. Sounds like a grower too!
    Tom I've never heard her voice described as whiny or grating, but believe it or not, I have heard a couple people say they didn't think she could sing. Go figure that. In any case, Anita's albums were in constant rotation around my home when I was growing up and all over the neighborhood. People were wild about her.

Lovely tune

This one is real nice Tom.

Perhaps her voice was an aquired taste, but personally i thought she was a magnificent vocalist. RanRan79 is so right when describing her five excellent albums. For me the songstress, rapture and giving you the best that i got are as good as it got in the 80's. She really should have been much bigger but her shocking attitude, depression and mood swings killed her career. I cannot even begin to tell you how difficult she was to work with, but when she started to sing i could almost forget all the horrors that had preceded it. I hope she is remembered for her wonderful talent rather than all the baggage that came with it.

Perhaps her voice was an aquired taste, but personally i thought she was a magnificent vocalist. RanRan79 is so right when describing her five excellent albums. For me the songstress, rapture and giving you the best that i got are as good as it got in the 80's. She really should have been much bigger but her shocking attitude, depression and mood swings killed her career. I cannot even begin to tell you how difficult she was to work with, but when she started to sing i could almost forget all the horrors that had preceded it. I hope she is remembered for her wonderful talent rather than all the baggage that came with it.
    Yes, those first three albums were IT. But Compositions and Rhythm of Love, while not as good song for song as the first three, still cut up. I don't think she could've gotten any bigger than she did doing the type of music she did, this sort of r&b/jazz hybrid [[the best way I can describe it). Her stuff sold in the millions, sold out shows. She was in demand. A household name. I've never heard she was difficult to work with, but I do know someone who ran into her at an airport and had a nasty experience. Maybe she was having a bad day, I don't know. But whether she was a nasty person or not, I think Songstress, Rapture and GYTBTIG will last much longer than any memories about her disposition [[to the general public).

Ah yea, I remember you saying that about Anita before Bluebrock... I think it kinda put me off too, lol

I will have to get into her stuff for sure, and appreciate Anita for her music!!

Yes, those first three albums were IT. But Compositions and Rhythm of Love, while not as good song for song as the first three, still cut up. I don't think she could've gotten any bigger than she did doing the type of music she did, this sort of r&b/jazz hybrid [[the best way I can describe it). Her stuff sold in the millions, sold out shows. She was in demand. A household name. I've never heard she was difficult to work with, but I do know someone who ran into her at an airport and had a nasty experience. Maybe she was having a bad day, I don't know. But whether she was a nasty person or not, I think Songstress, Rapture and GYTBTIG will last much longer than any memories about her disposition [[to the general public).
    Totally agree on all counts my friend.

Ah yea, I remember you saying that about Anita before Bluebrock... I think it kinda put me off too, lol

I will have to get into her stuff for sure, and appreciate Anita for her music!!
    That is the why i try to do it Tom. In my opinion she is up there with the all time greats talent wise. She achieved a lot, but could and should have achieved a whole lot more.

RanRan, Bluebrock, I’ve got all her albums and had the Rapture video too. Yep Anita’s vocals are up there with the greats. And that track from the Songstress album No More Tears gets me every time. Saw her a couple of times live and the voice was as good as on any CD, I thought she was fantastic. I was looking forward to a new album she was working on and was going to be released a couple of years ago. Then at the beginning of this year I read she retired.

Quote Originally Posted by McMotown View Post
    RanRan, Bluebrock, I’ve got all her albums and had the Rapture video too. Yep Anita’s vocals are up there with the greats. And that track from the Songstress album No More Tears gets me every time. Saw her a couple of times live and the voice was as good as on any CD, I thought she was fantastic. I was looking forward to a new album she was working on and was going to be released a couple of years ago. Then at the beginning of this year I read she retired.
    I heard she retired but never learned why. She's still a relatively young woman when you think about how long it usually takes for a singer to give it up [[if they ever do). Maybe she was just sick of the business. Hopefully it's not a health issue.

I never met Gary but I did witness an album session by his mom Beverly, at United Sounds in Detroit back in 73, I think.

I heard she retired but never learned why. She's still a relatively young woman when you think about how long it usually takes for a singer to give it up [[if they ever do). Maybe she was just sick of the business. Hopefully it's not a health issue.
    It is a complex issue. It is not a physical illness, but she was unable to carry on making music for several reasons. Maybe one day she will be in a position to return to performing. I do hope so, and i wish her all the best and hope she can find some kind of peace.