[REMOVE ADS]

At Their Best [The Diana Ross Project]

I bought this album at the same time as Jean Terrell's I Had to Fall in Love" album in September 1978.

well this was a surprise in 1978 but I thought Sha La Bandit was worth buying the album for. great track. loved having this collection but they did leave off some gems.
    I liked Love Train, but does it sound like Jean is singing back up for herself. I don't hear Mary and Lynda.

Again, nice review, but the reviewer completely missed something regarding the Supremes version of "Love Train" and that was the entire vamp and ad lib Jean did on the recording and the group did in concert. "Love Train, let me ride. Feel my heart and open my eyes.
    I want feel a man is a man, come on brother and take my hand.......".
    I thought it was great and that he would have mentioned it.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    well this was a surprise in 1978 but I thought Sha La Bandit was worth buying the album for. great track. loved having this collection but they did leave off some gems.
    I liked Love Train, but does it sound like Jean is singing back up for herself. I don't hear Mary and Lynda.
    I never cared for their version of "love train". This was an incomplete album in my opinion. I don't think much thought was put into the tracklisting or the album cover.

I remember buying this album for $2.98 at the local mall. It was nice to have the 70s hits on one collection.

When I saw the tracks THE SHA-LA BANDIT and LOVE TRAIN had a 1978 copyright, I assumed they would be from the Scherrie-era. Having heard Aretha's version of THE SHA-LA BANDIT, I thought the Supremes' version paled considerably.

But I loved LOVE TRAIN on first listen, was very happy that it was a Jean lead, and for me, aside from the hits, one of the highlights of this album. Not knowing that Jean often did backgrounds with the group as well, I was pleasantly surprised to hear Jean's voice so dominant in the back.
    Last edited by reese; 09-09-2017 at 08:07 AM.

I liked their version of Love Train. has a nice dance feel to it. I think it may have done well on the dance charts if released. just my opinion.
    I didn't know Aretha did Bandit. love Scherrie version best. didn't care for the other version where all three share lead.
    the cover art has grown on me and now I like it but I suppose they didn't know who to put on the cover. typical motown
    Last edited by daviddh; 09-09-2017 at 08:07 PM.

There were a few poorly put together "At Their Best" albums put out in the 70s such as David Ruffin and Eddie Kendricks. Like this one, the covers were dull and boring. The Supremes with three orchids...at that point no one knew who they were anymore except fans. The highlighted hits on the front cover pretty much covered it. The U.K. did a more comprehensive collection with Greatest Hits feat. Mary Wilson that included all the Jean Terrell singles including with The Four Tops. Over here it always seemed it was a "royalty issue". This album was a huge disappointment and a waste. Where were Automatically Sunshine, Your Wonderful Sweet Sweet Love, I Guess I'll Miss The Man, River Deep, You Gotta Have Love??? Or even the listless Touch. No one knew Sha La Bandit or barely Bad Weather let alone Driving Wheel. Just my opinion but record production at Motown in the later 70s was pathetic. They missed the boat on so many potential singles like Skywriter instead of that dreadful Hallelujah Day nonsense and Law Of The Land but both were released in the U.K. The Supremes did do a great version released later of Love Train. A very sad time for them and it's unfortunate Stevie Wonder producing an album didn't come to be. Bad Weather was a great song with maybe a slight rearrangement. I think her vocal on, I believe it was a Kate Smith Show, was much better. On a high note...so glad we finally got The 70s Anthology plus all the albums now. They can still throw the Webb Weed album in the river.

It definitely was a rush job, just designed to cash in on whatever audience was out there. [[Of course, I bought a copy.)

But...whatever is a "Sha La Bandit?" I never understood this song or the praise that many heap on it. Even the reviewer, who I often agree with, loves the song although he says the released version is the weakest of the various recorded takes. And where is Westchester County, and why does it figure in the song? I never understood this track or why anyone thought it was a buried treasure. I don't care much for the previously unreleased versions which showed up on the box set, either. For whatever reason, the song does nothing for me.

I think I bought the album mainly to get "Bad Weather" which, conversely, lots of people don't care for, but I thought was a great track. I remember at the time it was one I had heard in the clubs but had never heard on the radio where I lived at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westch...unty,_New_York

I interpret the sha-la-la of the song to be a quality, or perhaps a physical attribute that attracts women to him. The lead vocalist realizes that she has been taken advantage of by the bandit who has stolen her love without giving his in return, yet she finds herself still attracted to him because of the unnamed quality or attribute. She's warning other women that he may do the same to them. They, like she, may not be able to escape the hold he now has over her.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westch...unty,_New_York

I interpret the sha-la-la of the song to be a quality, or perhaps a physical attribute that attracts women to him. The lead vocalist realizes that she has been taken advantage of by the bandit who has stolen her love without giving his in return, yet she finds herself still attracted to him because of the unnamed quality or attribute. She's warning other women that he may do the same to them. They, like she, may not be able to escape the hold he now has over her.
    A gentleman [[or lady!) as well as a scholar.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-09-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
    It definitely was a rush job, just designed to cash in on whatever audience was out there. [[Of course, I bought a copy.)

But...whatever is a "Sha La Bandit?" I never understood this song or the praise that many heap on it. Even the reviewer, who I often agree with, loves the song although he says the released version is the weakest of the various recorded takes. And where is Westchester County, and why does it figure in the song? I never understood this track or why anyone thought it was a buried treasure. I don't care much for the previously unreleased versions which showed up on the box set, either. For whatever reason, the song does nothing for me.

I think I bought the album mainly to get "Bad Weather" which, conversely, lots of people don't care for, but I thought was a great track. I remember at the time it was one I had heard in the clubs but had never heard on the radio where I lived at the time.
    Westchester County is just north of New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by marv2 View Post
    Westchester County is just north of New York City.
    Being a provincial Californian, I had never heard of Westchester County. Thanks Marv2.

Being a provincial Californian, I had never heard of Westchester County. Thanks Marv2.
    You're welcome.

Never gave any attention to SHA LA BANDIT before , "sha la" must have been a phrase in the early seventies [[Al Green) , but this song to me is but a Honey Cone wannabe - as in "stick up highway robbery" , - "gonna put it in the want ads "

that is thisclose to being about rape:

He kidnapped me excitingly
    And then he robbed me off my dignity
    And when enough of his time had spent
    He left me moooaaannnin'

wow!

At least the Supremes version upgrades the line used repeatedly in the Deloris Hall original from :
    "he left me mooooaaanin"
    to
    "he left me wantin' more"

nonetheless, personally I don't find its story-line cute or appealing and in the distant heels of the already successful Honey Cone hits, I would've just left this one on the cutting room floor as first decided . imo.
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-10-2017 at 01:28 AM.

@boogiedown, Wow, I honestly had never paid much attention to the words. Yes, illuminating indeed. It certainly does evoke a Honey Cone song; in fact, Scherrie's delivery seems similar to the way Edna Wright [[was it?) would have sung it.

Just a bit of trivia. I think when Midnight Johnny interviewed Scherrie, she said she was good friends with the lead singer of Honey Cone and they met once a week for lunch. I know there were 2 Wright sisters, but I forget if the other one was in a group or was a solo singer. I think Edna was in Honey Cone. Or am I just mixing up the fact that Edna did some solo recordings in addition to or during her tenure as lead singer of HC?
    Last edited by kenneth; 09-10-2017 at 12:30 AM.

@boogiedown, Wow, I honestly had never paid much attention to the words. Yes, illuminating indeed. It certainly does evoke a Honey Cone song; in fact, Scherrie's delivery seems similar to the way Edna Wright [[was it?) would have sung it.

Just a bit of trivia. I think when Midnight Johnny interviewed Scherrie, she said she was good friends with the lead singer of Honey Cone and they met once a week for lunch. I know there were 2 Wright sisters, but I forget if the other one was in a group or was a solo singer. I think Edna was in Honey Cone. Or am I just mixing up the fact that Edna did some solo recordings in addition to or during her tenure as lead singer of HC?
    Edna's sister is Darlene love

Quote Originally Posted by blackguy69 View Post
    Edna's sister is Darlene love
    Wow! I must have heard that before because I thought she had a singing sister, but I really don't even remember it now. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiedown View Post
    that is thisclose to being about rape:

He kidnapped me excitingly
    And then he robbed me off my dignity
    And when enough of his time had spent
    He left me moooaaannnin'

wow!

At least the Supremes version upgrades the line used repeatedly in the Deloris Hall original from :
    "he left me mooooaaanin"
    to
    "he left me wantin' more"
    The rape connection is pushing it just a bit, IMO. I love this song by Aretha and Sandra Wright, but never liked it by the Supremes until the 70s Anthology version with all three singing lead. It has become one of my favorite 70s Supremes songs. But I never paid attention to the Supremes' line "wanting more" from "moanin'". I like the moanin line better. It better conveys the reason why she's so addicted.

cover art has grown on me , I think they could have used a photo but I don't think Motown was always concerned about lp covers. they have released there share of cheap cover art works. Greatest Hits 3 was almost a bad but at least we got a photo.
    I was happy the ladies finally got a hits album. it was long overdue.
    wasn't this released to coincide with the release of Jean and Marys solo albums.
    to many gems left off but I suppose they would have had to release a double album, which we know was not going to happen. I would have preferred a Jean album and a Scherrie led hits album
    Last edited by daviddh; 09-10-2017 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by daviddh View Post
    cover art has grown on me , I think they could have used a photo but I don't think Motown was always concerned about lp covers. they have released there share of cheap cover art works. Greatest Hits 3 was almost a bad but at least we got a photo.
    I was happy the ladies finally got a hits album. it was long overdue.
    wasn't this released to coincide with the release of Jean and Marys solo albums.
    to many gems left off but I suppose they would have had to release a double album, which we know was not going to happen. I would have preferred a Jean album and a Scherrie led hits album
    In the UK we got one in 1973. It contained all the essential hits. Instill have the cassette somewhere. They used the same cover as the unreleased live album from Japan which hip o select released a good few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    In the UK we got one in 1973. It contained all the essential hits. Instill have the cassette somewhere. They used the same cover as the unreleased live album from Japan which hip o select released a good few years ago.
    This album has always pissed me off. It's a slap in the face to the Supremes and their fans to issue a 10 cut greatest hits CD as a final release on the group. While I think Motown learned it's lesson that Supremes albums sell better without their revolving door faces on the cover, this plain silly boring album cover hardly served any better purpose. I was glad to get love train and the Shalla bandit… Even though I'm not wild about the latter as I feel it is Sherry's worst vocal ever…even if you haven't heard queen Aretha's version… And the track is kind of 60s Johnny Angel fun… And love train was so much better in the show. But if it was going to show the group at its best, then at least one of Mary's ballads should've been there, plus I guess I'll miss the man. I understand why they included bad weather, but really it wasn't necessary it's not as if the public was clamoring for it's inclusion on an album. They couldn't use River deep Mountain high because then they would've had to split the royalties with the four tops which I'm sure they did not want to do. I would not have included I'm going to let my heart get the walking or youor my driving we are because I don't think those are representative of even those grouping's better work. There's no reason why this could not have been expanded to 14 tracks like it was in the UK… This is just as bad as the Ross greatest hits from two years prior, also 10 cuts with the short versions of ain't no mountain and love hangover… and for tracks from the black album that came out to six months before… Whoever was sequencing these albums must have recently discovered Quaaludes… Diana's only difference is her album got a great cover. At their best should have come with a lot of pictures on the back liner notes, some history and some respect for the group, and the fans of stuck with them for 16 years

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    This album has always pissed me off. It's a slap in the face to the Supremes and their fans to issue a 10 cut greatest hits CD as a final release on the group. While I think Motown learned it's lesson that Supremes albums sell better without their revolving door faces on the cover, this plain silly boring album cover hardly served any better purpose. I was glad to get love train and the Shalla bandit… Even though I'm not wild about the latter as I feel it is Sherry's worst vocal ever…even if you haven't heard queen Aretha's version… And the track is kind of 60s Johnny Angel fun… And love train was so much better in the show. But if it was going to show the group at its best, then at least one of Mary's ballads should've been there, plus I guess I'll miss the man. I understand why they included bad weather, but really it wasn't necessary it's not as if the public was clamoring for it's inclusion on an album. They couldn't use River deep Mountain high because then they would've had to split the royalties with the four tops which I'm sure they did not want to do. I would not have included I'm going to let my heart get the walking or youor my driving we are because I don't think those are representative of even those grouping's better work. There's no reason why this could not have been expanded to 14 tracks like it was in the UK… This is just as bad as the Ross greatest hits from two years prior, also 10 cuts with the short versions of ain't no mountain and love hangover… and for tracks from the black album that came out to six months before… Whoever was sequencing these albums must have recently discovered Quaaludes… Diana's only difference is her album got a great cover. At their best should have come with a lot of pictures on the back liner notes, some history and some respect for the group, and the fans of stuck with them for 16 years
    It was so obvious no one cared much anymore. It was hard to even get the album in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMotownManiac View Post
    This album has always pissed me off. It's a slap in the face to the Supremes and their fans to issue a 10 cut greatest hits CD as a final release on the group.
    not to mention that CDs didn't exist then

Such a compilation was due whether they were splitting up or not though. Greatest Hits packages were common practice for all artists . All labels. Typically after three studio alums. There would always be that percentage of the buying public that wouldn't buy an album for the sake of one or two hits and didn't want to spend the money to hear filler . They would however buy an artist's compilation package of just the hits stuff. These double dippings weren't aimed at the dedicated fans who'd already bought the initial releases, and in those days I can't think of any label/artist that released "collectable" lps that featured alternate versions , outtakes , etc. [[?) so really that this greatest hits package did include LOVE TRAIN [[for what reason?) is pretty impressive. But to not have RIVER DEEP on there as well is criminal.

kenneth:
    That's the best isn't it? Those 'secret' records you only knew about by hanging out in the clubs.

I could see BAD WEATHER being club worthy because of its upbeat dancible Thom Bell shuffle . But this lively tempo playing against the devastating gloom and doom lyrics made the record seem at odds with itself , imo.

I'll suggest it could have been better received , had the song resolved its gloom with hope, offering a storm cloud with a silver lining if you will .

So that by the end of the song the attitude becomes :

looks like I'm headed for bad weather
    but then there's no storm that lasts forever

then

left alone and headed for bad weather ,
    but wait! , who's that,
    could it be I've found another!

the more than one fish in the sea, 'I WILL SURVIVE' angle!

and even though it peaked at only 74 on the soul chart , it was a Supremes single releases and it did chart, so it was kind of cool that Motown finally gave it space by including it on this collection . [[I'm not sure why it hadn't as yet made it onto an album?)
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-12-2017 at 01:37 AM.

I thought it was strange that they included "The Sha La La Bandit" but not "He's My Man".

Yes. A lot of strangeness. I agree with Maniac. It always seemed like a grade z rush job to me.

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    Yes. A lot of strangeness. I agree with Maniac. It always seemed like a grade z rush job to me.
    Seems like a typical greatest hits package. [[Made a little more complicated, image wise certainly, by the revolving cast)

Is there a greatest hits release for another Motown artist that's done in a way that you would've like to have seen done here?

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    The rape connection is pushing it just a bit, IMO.
    do I think they intended it in that way , no of course not. it's supposed to be provocative and titillating and fun!. But that was a different era when men could write out sexual fantasies lyrically and hand them to women who would endorse them by mindlessly singing them .
    This is now the era of zero tolerance. And these days when a man kidnaps a woman for sex , robs her of her dignity , and then vanishes when he's through .... well I don't have another word for it ???

I love this song by Aretha and Sandra Wright, but never liked it by the Supremes until the 70s Anthology version with all three singing lead.
    Yes that does improve it . It adds to the credence of his powers by giving you three separate woman testifying about being victimized by this bad mama jama from Westchester County . And it gives all three Supremes a chance at lead performing in the song in a way that makes sense.
    It has become one of my favorite 70s Supremes songs. But I never paid attention to the Supremes' line "wanting more" from "moanin'". I like the moanin line better. It better conveys the reason why she's so addicted.
    Neither line is very admirable , but moaning the word moanin', and especially the way Aretha does it , it's almost gross. She sounds like a moose in heat! An unhealthy one . At that point in her career, I find it beneath her .
    So, we'll have to disagree on this one RanRan. But that's ok, small potatoes.

Here's the "better" version :

Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-13-2017 at 12:23 AM.

I agree that At Their Best came out way too late and was way too short of all the '70's hits. I loved that we did at least get Love Train, which appears to have been recorded during the time the O'Jays were having their hit with it.

In early 1974, Motown in the US had intended to release a Best Of The Supremes and Best Of Diana Ross. Catalog numbers were Motown 816 and 817 respectively. It is said that these did end up getting a release in Japan, but i've never found the song list.

I am gathering that the Supremes was to be similar to the one that issued in the UK in late '73 and would have contained a few more of the hits.

What would have been a better idea in '78, since they were using hits from both the Jean years and the Scherrie years, was to have done a 2 record set and then have 1 of the 4 sides as all unreleased.

Speaking of the unreleased, I wish that Mary, Cindy & Scherrie would have gone into the Motown studio and laid done to the multi-track of All I Want, the version with each taking a lead that they did on Sonny & Chér. It would have been nice to have a full verse with Cindy as she had too few lead vocals.
    Last edited by greg jones; 09-13-2017 at 02:26 AM.

Neither line is very admirable , but moaning the word moanin', and especially the way Aretha does it , it's almost gross. She sounds like a moose in heat! An unhealthy one . At that point in her career, I find it beneath her .
    Hey, there's nothing deplorable about good sex. She got some good lovin and it left her...♫moaaaaannnnin'♫.

Quote Originally Posted by greg jones View Post
    I agree that At Their Best came out way too late and was way too short of all the '70's hits. I loved that we did at least get Love Train, which appears to have been recorded during the time the O'Jays were having their hit with it.

In early 1974, Motown in the US had intended to release a Best Of The Supremes and Best Of Diana Ross. Catalog numbers were Motown 816 and 817 respectively. It is said that these did end up getting a release in Japan, but i've never found the song list.

I am gathering that the Supremes was to be similar to the one that issued in the UK in late '73 and would have contained a few more of the hits.

What would have been a better idea in '78, since they were using hits from both the Jean years and the Scherrie years, was to have done a 2 record set and then have 1 of the 4 sides as all unreleased.

Speaking of the unreleased, I wish that Mary, Cindy & Scherrie would have gone into the Motown studio and laid done to the multi-track of All I Want, the version with each taking a lead that they did on Sonny & Chér. It would have been nice to have a full verse with Cindy as she had too few lead vocals.
    Wasn't the collection issued in the UK in 1973 titled "Mary Wilson and the Supremes Greatest Hits"?

And where is Westchester County, and why does it figure in the song?
    I've always assumed Westchester County was chosen because it's one of the wealthiest counties in the United States - lots of potential booty for the bandit to snatch...

Here, I found a copy of that album cover:

Attachment 13456

Quote Originally Posted by smallworld View Post
    I've always assumed Westchester County was chosen because it's one of the wealthiest counties in the United States - lots of potential booty for the bandit to snatch...
    Actually it's not. Both Nassau and Suffolk Counties here on Long Island are wealthier. There are areas of Westchester that are very wealthy such as Purchase, NY, but then the largest areas such as White Plains, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle are lower to middle class.

Was the "At Their Best" series instigated by Motown's UK arm? I've always wondered why the UK version came out before the US. Perhaps the US was just delayed. Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that it was a truncated release. The Supremes' stock was at its lowest in the late 70s. The projected sales for the set were probably pretty dismal.

I've always loved The Sha La Bandit and the criticism of Sherrie relative to Aretha, Mary and Cindy etc. surprises me. The song is rather campy on one hand and really rather distasteful when you analyse the lyrics [[I agree with Boogiedown's reading). I think Sherrie, while bringing her customary powerful vocal style to the table, keeps it light and fun - the song needs a "twinkle in the eye" approach to work. She sounds classy and elegant - very Supremes. Aretha's testifyin' is wholly unsuited to such a trifle. Aretha's version is no "Dr. Feelgood" for instance, a carnal classic in her repertoire.

I favour the version of the song from "Greatest Hits and Rare Classics" that's also found on the "Let Yourself Go" box set. Cindy is charming on the shared lead version, turning it into a monologue in parts, but both she and Mary lack the requisite lift in their voices to sell the melody as Sherrie does. Perhaps their vocals are scratch efforts.
    Last edited by smallworld; 09-13-2017 at 01:34 PM.

Actually it's not. Both Nassau and Suffolk Counties here on Long Island are wealthier. There are areas of Westchester that are very wealthy such as Purchase, NY, but then the largest areas such as White Plains, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle are lower to middle class.
    Interesting. I first heard of Westchester via Loudon Wainwright's "Westchester County", which recounts his country club upbringing.

The Wiki page for Westchester county quotes the median household income for the county to be 47th highest in the country as of 2011. I believe there's a little over 3000 counties in the US, so Westchester county ain't doing too bad.

I'd be interested to hear comments on the perception of Westchester county in popular culture. Wiki also mentions that the mansion in the X-Men series is located in the North-Eastern part of the county. Are there any other songs that namecheck Westchester?
    Last edited by smallworld; 09-13-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Hey Marv! Rob and Laura Petrie were from New Rochelle and they were definitely not lower class! [[LOL)

Interesting. I first heard of Westchester via Loudon Wainwright's "Westchester County", which recounts his country club upbringing.

The Wiki page for Westchester county quotes the median household income for the county to be 47th highest in the country as of 2011. I believe there's a little over 3000 counties in the US, so Westchester county ain't doing too bad.

I'd be interested to hear comments on the perception of Westchester county in popular culture. Wiki also mentions that the mansion in the X-Men series is located in the North-Eastern part of the county. Are there any other songs that namecheck Westchester?
    Westchester County is one of great contradiction and income/wealthy disparity. There are the poor, the working poor and the middle class that make a good percentage of the total population in Westchester. It's proximity to NYC is the reason why the per capita income figures are higher than many other U.S. Counties. Nassau County is ranked #13 and Suffolk County where I live is ranked #22. Still, even on Long Island there are the super rich, celebrities etc and the working middle class co-existing.

Hey Marv! Rob and Laura Petrie were from New Rochelle and they were definitely not lower class! [[LOL)
    No they were not, but Mary J. Blige was also from Westchester County [[White Plains) and grew up in a low income apartment building. Mount Vernon looks like any other blue collar Midwestern city. I've worked and have been all over Westchester County. My one time secret dream was to buy a house and live in Purchase, NY. But I am not a millionaire.......LOL!

Aretha's testifyin' is wholly unsuited to such a trifle.
    Aretha's testifying is exactly what I would expect from a woman who had just gotten some so good that she would get the man out of jail if he ended up there, even after playing her to the left the way he did after he put it on her. Who the hell wants to coo, ooh and ahh after that? Lol

Wasn't the collection issued in the UK in 1973 titled "Mary Wilson and the Supremes Greatest Hits"?
    OK, I just looked it up. The album came out in the UK in early '74 [[couldn't quite read the printing date on the pix on discogs.com). The album did NOT have Mary's name. It did however use the Supremes Live In Japan cover.

The Greatest Hits album was re-released in the UK in 1980 and that's when they added featuring Mary Wilson to the title.

On At Their Best... I'd forgotten that it did come in the UK 1st and had 14 tracks, whereas the US version only had 10 tracks.

Is this it?

Name:  THE_SUPREMES_GREATEST+HITS-434850.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  36.3 KB

That website you mention Discogs has this info

ns [[9)

Title [[Format) Label Cat# Country Year
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp) Tamla Motown, Tamla Motown STML 11256, 0C 062◦95070 UK 1974
    Greatest Hits II ‎[[LP, Comp) Tamla Motown, EMI Electrola 1C 062-95 070 Germany 1974
    Greatest Hits ‎[[Cass, Comp) Tamla Motown, Tamla Motown TC-STML 11256, OC 244 o 95070 UK 1974
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Album, Comp) Motown 25015020 Germany 1974
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp) Tamla Motown STMLO 11256 Australia 1974
    More Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp) Tamla Motown STML 11256 New Zealand 1974
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp, RE) Tamla Motown, Tamla Motown STMR 9010, 0C 054·95070 UK 1980
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp) Motown, Belter 2-47.090, 2 47 090 Spain 1981
    Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp, RE) Tamla Motown STMS 5098 UK 1983

Greatest Hits ‎[[LP, Comp, RE) Tamla Motown, Tamla Motown STMR 9010, 0C 054·95070 UK 1980

do I think they intended it in that way , no of course not. it's supposed to be provocative and titillating and fun!. But that was a different era when men could write out sexual fantasies lyrically and hand them to women who would endorse them by mindlessly singing them .
    This is now the era of zero tolerance. And these days when a man kidnaps a woman for sex , robs her of her dignity , and then vanishes when he's through .... well I don't have another word for it ???

Yes that does improve it . It adds to the credence of his powers by giving you three separate woman testifying about being victimized by this bad mama jama from Westchester County . And it gives all three Supremes a chance at lead performing in the song in a way that makes sense.

Here's the "better" version :

Ok yeah. I definitely like the three lead version better. I can imagine it played on the radio back in '74 etc. Nice sound overall.

Motown should've done Supremes Greatest Hits Vol 4 [[or would it be volume 1 since the first three- but really two- packages were credited to DRATS?) after Jean and Lynda left the group and before Supremes 75 was released. This would have allowed Motown to capitalize on the group while it was in limbo by giving the general public, who may not have been interested in the lps, a collection of the post Ross hits.

Side One
    Up the Ladder to the Roof
    Everybody's Got the Right to Love
    Stoned Love
    River Deep, Mountain High
    Nathan Jones
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart

Side Two
    Touch
    Floy Joy
    Automatically Sunshine
    Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love
    I Guess I'll Miss the Man
    Bad Weather

And that's depending on the length of the songs and if twelve would fit. For time I wouldn't have a problem dropping "You Gotta Have Love", "Your Wonderful Sweet Love" and "I Guess I'll Miss the Man", none of which did anything worth mentioning, success wise. And the new album would be the home of "Bad Weather" since it didn't get an album inclusion at the time.

At Their Best really should have been devoted to the Scherrie years, though it looks like only a handful of tracks could legitimately make a "hits" album, forcing the debate about whether a hits package for the Scherrie years at that point was even necessary, considering the public only seemed to really care about one song anyway and the group was fresh off if it's worst success period since the "no hit" days.

Quote Originally Posted by RanRan79 View Post
    Motown should've done Supremes Greatest Hits Vol 4 [[or would it be volume 1 since the first three- but really two- packages were credited to DRATS?) after Jean and Lynda left the group and before Supremes 75 was released. This would have allowed Motown to capitalize on the group while it was in limbo by giving the general public, who may not have been interested in the lps, a collection of the post Ross hits.

Side One
    Up the Ladder to the Roof
    Everybody's Got the Right to Love
    Stoned Love
    River Deep, Mountain High
    Nathan Jones
    You Gotta Have Love In Your Heart

Side Two
    Touch
    Floy Joy
    Automatically Sunshine
    Your Wonderful Sweet, Sweet Love
    I Guess I'll Miss the Man
    Bad Weather
    I think you have that right. A perfect package released at the most opportune time .

RanRan79:
    Aretha's testifying is exactly what I would expect from a woman who had just gotten some so good that she would get the man out of jail if he ended up there, even after playing her to the left the way he did after he put it on her. Who the hell wants to coo, ooh and ahh after that? Lol
    We haven't even talked about this aspect of the song , thanks for reminding me : by song's end, on what grounds would the Don Juan of Westchester County be expected to be winding up in jail for exactly?
    Oh that's right : kidnapping and aggravated rape !!.

Anyway Ran Ran are you sure this isn't a moose that got hit by a car!

You've got to give her credit for being so concerned about warning the other sisters though , in a twisted self-serving way.

OK enough of that . I agree.

On to LOVE TRAIN !

Half of me thinks, "Why LOVE TRAIN ?" ; the other half thinks "Why not?" LOVE TRAIN being my all-time favorite PI song notwithstanding , it's kind of hard to go wrong doing this song .

Do The Supremes hinder the tune ? No not really , although their approach strikes me as oddly timid. Do they take it anyplace new , do they own it? Not really except for an occasional whistle being blown nothing stands out as special . So, its a nice cover, and it stops there. Too bad , maybe this is one that would have benefited from a fuller sound, why didn't each of them step up for the lead, take turns vamping, or do this in partnership with The Four Tops for instance ?

Seems like a missed opportunity . With The Supremes doing so many quality disco songs , had a greatest hits package already come out in the way Ran Ran suggested, maybe what could have come out in '77 would have been a Supremes remixed package , with extended remixes done by one or more of the current mixers , David Todd , etc. in a similar way that Tom Moulton took on the Philadelphia Classics project . Breathe new life into these deserving songs. And included: a dynamic lengthier reworking of their LOVE TRAIN .
    Last edited by Boogiedown; 09-14-2017 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyluckyme View Post
    Is this it?

Name:  THE_SUPREMES_GREATEST+HITS-434850.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  36.3 KB
    That is the cassette that i bought and still have somewhere! It did not have Mary Wilson's name on the cover. Greg Wilson's explanation is the correct one.

We haven't even talked about this aspect of the song , thanks for reminding me : by song's end, on what grounds would the Don Juan of Westchester County be expected to be winding up in jail for exactly?
    Oh that's right : kidnapping and aggravated rape !!.

Anyway Ran Ran are you sure this isn't a moose that got hit by a car!

You've got to give her credit for being so concerned about warning the other sisters though , in a twisted self-serving way.
    Oh stop it Boogie! LOL You know he was in jail for non payment of child support. [[If he's lovin and leavin 'em like the sisters are singing about, you know he's leaving a few Bandit Jr's and Bandettes behind that he aint the least bit interested in paying for.)

As to your comment about the Queen, you can expect to be brought up on charges of lese-majesty. Your punishment will be subject to her discretion.

Half of me thinks, "Why LOVE TRAIN ?" ; the other half thinks "Why not?" LOVE TRAIN being my all-time favorite PI song notwithstanding , it's kind of hard to go wrong doing this song .

Do The Supremes hinder the tune ? No not really , although their approach strikes me as oddly timid. Do they take it anyplace new , do they own it? Not really except for an occasional whistle being blown nothing stands out as special . So, its a nice cover, and it stops there. Too bad , maybe this is one that would have benefited from a fuller sound, why didn't each of them step up for the lead, take turns vamping, or do this in partnership with The Four Tops for instance ?

Seems like a missed opportunity . With The Supremes doing so many quality disco songs , had a greatest hits package already come out in the way Ran Ran suggested, maybe what could have come out in '77 would have been a Supremes remixed package , with extended remixes done by one or more of the current mixers , David Todd , etc. in a similar way that Tom Moulton took on the Philadelphia Classics project . Breathe new life into these deserving songs. And included: a dynamic lengthier reworking of their LOVE TRAIN .
    The idea of the group recording "Love Train" is a perfect idea. It was a huge hit record [[has to be a decade icon) done by one of the absolute best groups EVER, the mighty O'Jays. The girls were already doing the song in concert...and I think they did it very well. I think the song could have made an excellent addition to the next JML album after Jimmy Webb [[assuming that the next album wasn't going to be the legendary-missed-opportunity Supremes Produced and Arranged By Stevie Wonder).

However, while I do like the song the way it is, I think something is missing. Like you say Boogie, there wasn't much special about it. The only extra they seemed to add was that breakdown toward the end, which is my favorite part of the song. I think the musical track itself is a bit weak, which is not at all the case with the track the O'Jays used. And listening to Mary sing her portion of the song during their show at the Apollo, I'm not convinced that the producer made the right choice in giving Jean the entire lead. Mary's forte is ballads without question, but she has her uptempo moments. I think this song could have showcased that. In the end the track winds up a nice piece of At Their Best, but nothing that would knock anyone's socks off about.

As for a remix album in 77, I really think after Mary, Scherrie, Susaye any attention Motown gave to Supremes reissues should have focused on the Diana and Jean years. After Jean left nobody cared, so why even revisit that period so soon?