[REMOVE ADS]

Diana Ross "Missing You"

I love this live performance by Diana Ross.
    One of my favorite Diana Ross songs. Her voice is still so beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRGxINTKX_g

Hard to believe that it's 33 years since her last US Top 50 hit!

This sounds great. I miss hearing her perform this in her shows.

Thanks for sharing! Lionel Ritchie wrote such a awesome song. It's probably my favorite of Diana's solo songs and a beautiful tribute to Marvin Gaye. Can never hear it and not think of Marvin and what a major loss.

This is a really nice performance of a great song. The full orchestra backing really adds to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I love this live performance by Diana Ross.
    One of my favorite Diana Ross songs. Her voice is still so beautiful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRGxINTKX_g
    This is up there with the very best of songs Diana recorded. Certainly her best rca recording in my opinion. I just wish Lionel had produced the whole of the "swept away" album as originally planned. There is another Lionel produced song from the original sessions still in the vault.
    This is one of Diana's personal favourites too, and i do believe she still performs it occasionally including at a private show that i attended in London last year.

Yes, a true beauty, and the charts are certainly missing Diana!

Have to say that Missing You is not one of my fave Diana tracks.

I was baffled as to what was going on in the UK with Diana at this time.

The two other singles from Swept Away in the UK at least made some inroads into the charts without much support from the record company - Touch By Touch could surely have been much bigger with some promotion - yet they did throw some weight behind Missing You and it couldn't even break the top 75.

Even more surprising was that despite having done credibly in the US and the high profile of Daryl Hall in the UK at the time the title track was never released here as a single.

I had a few friends not out and out Diana fans who were impressed by that track.

Quote Originally Posted by florence View Post

I was baffled as to what was going on in the UK with Diana at this time.

The two other singles from Swept Away in the UK at least made some inroads into the charts without much support from the record company - Touch By Touch could surely have been much bigger with some promotion - yet they did throw some weight behind Missing You and it couldn't even break the top 75.
    Initially MISSING YOU didn't do well in the US either, at least not at pop radio. On the r&b chart, it hit #1, but it only made the Top 60 on the pop chart.

But then Diana made an appearance on the American Music Awards, paying tribute to some of the celebrities who had passed the previous year: Jackie Wilson, Count Basie, Ernest Tubb, and Marvin Gaye. They showed part of the MISSING YOU video and the record took on a new life, eventually reaching the pop Top 10.

The next year, they tried to do the same with CHAIN REACTION, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

Definitely among the best songs she recorded at RCA. Brings back great childhood memories. This song was on the radio constantly. Everything about it was great: lyrics, music, and of course that voice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebrock View Post
    This is up there with the very best of songs Diana recorded. Certainly her best rca recording in my opinion. I just wish Lionel had produced the whole of the "swept away" album as originally planned. There is another Lionel produced song from the original sessions still in the vault.
    This is one of Diana's personal favourites too, and i do believe she still performs it occasionally including at a private show that i attended in London last year.
    I didn't know that was the original plan. What a missed opportunity. I'm glad we at least got the song "Swept Away" from Darryl Hall, but a whole Lionel produced Diana album would have surely been a project she could have eaten off of for quite some time. Lionel was a perfect fit.