[REMOVE ADS]

Herb Kent on WVON Chicago, 26th Feb 1965

Hi folks ...

I've just found out that a full two and a half hours of one of Herb Kent's R&B "Dusty Records Time" shows on WVON was posted on Mixcloud yesterday ... here is the link ...

https://www.mixcloud.com/alfred-bunz...february-1965/

Initially the sound quality is quite poor but after a couple of minutes whoever was taping the show must have realised this and re-tuned his/her radio and the sound quality becomes much better.

I'm about a half hour through listening to it so far and there has been plenty of early Motown, plus a very bluesy 50s song and a pre-Motown Isley Brothers tune [[nothing later than 1964 of course ) .. that's my listening sorted for the next two hours or so!!

Enjoy ....

Roger

Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  21.1 KB
    I heard part of that particular show on WVON on its original airing. I listened to Herb Kent religiously, also Richard Pegue, E. Rodney Jones, Lucky Cordell, Pervis Spann, Al Benson, Richard Stamz, Magnificent Montague, and more.
    Last edited by robb_k; 09-06-2017 at 08:56 PM.

Much thanks Robert. I have been collecting what few air checks there are on VON and it's nice to find one with a nice running time. Besides the music, the news of the day and the commercials slanted for a black audience brings back just as much memories as the songs. My sister has a bunch of cassette tapes that she recorded but sadly she won't let anyone borrow them. Robb, are you from Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_june View Post
    Much thanks Robert. I have been collecting what few air checks there are on VON and it's nice to find one with a nice running time. Besides the music, the news of the day and the commercials slanted for a black audience brings back just as much memories as the songs. My sister has a bunch of cassette tapes that she recorded but sadly she won't let anyone borrow them. Robb, are you from Chicago?
    Name:  av-5.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  21.1 KB
    I'm originally from Manitoba, but I lived in Chicagoland from 1959-1967, but we visited family there from 1946-59 during all vacations, and I visited heavily there through the 1980s. So, I know the place pretty well. I attended Bowen High in South Chicago, and graduated from Homewood-Flossmoor High in the South Suburbs [[between Harvey and Park Forest).

I think I remember that you were from Chicagoland too, Mr. June. Is that right? Did you name yourself after June and The Januaries [[Chicago Doo-Wop & early Soul group who recorded for Mel London)?