[REMOVE ADS]

Jboy88's review of Come On And See Me-The Complete Solo Collection

With the money i had left over from books, I snagged a copy of the Tammi Terrell set. Needless to say, it was money well spent, even if I already had most of her work. The Stereo mixes of the tracks Marvin was dubbed on are far superior to the mono, as you don't have Tammi being drowned out by background vocals. I wasn't too crazy with some of the early stuff though, the sound quality sucked. And the packaging is just beautiful. Tammi definetely would have made a great model as photogenic as she was. The Liner notes were also very well done. Positive soul was right about "Beware of A Stranger". That was really a nice surprise.

I've been a fan of Tammi Terrell since I was 8. At 22, I appreciate her work more now than ever. With a voice that makes your toes curl and your butthole tight, She definitely had the goods to be a huge star.

jboy88

That's a lovely review of Tammi's collection and it's very heartening to see someone as young as 22 appreciate music that I have done for a long time. Maybe us oldies WERE doing something right when we were young, especially if it can still be warmly accepted again..some 40 odd years later.

I will still never understand why Cant stop Now was never released as a single. I still think it would have been a HUGE hit. And besides its my all time FAV Tammi track. AND, its one of THE best Motown tracks to dance to when your ironing! AND I HATE IRONING. Try it, you may like it!...Paulo xxxx

You mean playing the track or doing the ironing?

Tell you what, I'll play the track and you can do the ironing!

HA HA! I think NOT.....

I second that! "can't Stop Now should have a single.

Another huge standout for me was "Don't Let Me Be Lonely" Definately one of Tammi finest recordings! The fact it wasn't even an album track is a travesty.

jboy [[et al), 88 high 5's to you, youngin! I've been busy to the extreme so I'm seeing this thread a bit late. I personally have not come down from an addictive high since receiving my Solo set. There's so much great material that a new favorite rises each time I almost get my fill of repeating the current one.

There's just no praise high enough for the artistic excellence of 'Don't Let Me Be Lonely'. Tammi's performance especially, and then the complex arrangements, backgrounds and near-epic production are Grammy worthy- as so much of the other material, including the 'live' set definitely is also.

I have stated before that I heartily applaud Universal for all the loving work that went into this release, but I think they missed a GOLDEN opportunity by not throwing some mad promotion [[imagination & bucks) behind this classic retrospection and revelation of one of the world's most magnificent vocal artists EVER to record, PERIOD.

Even the somewhat cruder earlier material contains either definite glimpses or extra scoops of the unique talent that evolved into Tammi Terrell. What a joy it is to hear this layed out in a way that helps us to appreciate the origins of that voice of perfection.

Because of Tammi's WAY above average looks, some of the uninformed confuse the praises many heap upon her work with mere fan 'idolatry'. Far more critics have, of late, come to realize that even if she had been physically, to some, a "lady troll" -the objective beauty of her art would shine just as bright. The beauty she possessed, and the extreme overall attractiveness of her personality were surprisingly tasty icings on a gourmet cake to die for.

While understanding the economic constraints, I think that this set should be a fully released CD found in every Walmart, etc. instead of a limited release. I don't know if a category exists for this collection to receive Grammy consideration, but an international fan drive might not be too bad an idea.
    Last edited by positivesoul; 02-05-2011 at 06:13 AM.

iconicpuff Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    I will still never understand why Cant stop Now was never released as a single. I still think it would have been a HUGE hit. And besides its my all time FAV Tammi track. AND, its one of THE best Motown tracks to dance to when your ironing! AND I HATE IRONING. Try it, you may like it!...Paulo xxxx
    My favourite tracks are 'That's what boys are made for' and 'All I do'. I loved Brenda Holloways version of 'All I do' until I first heard Tammi's on CFOM 1 back in 2002. Brenda's version was quickly relegated to League Division 2.
    And I love how a lot of the songs have male backpart vocals instead of them pesky Andantes!
    All in all, a great compilation and long overdue.

topdiva1 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jboy88 View Post
    With the money i had left over from books, I snagged a copy of the Tammi Terrell set. Needless to say, it was money well spent, even if I already had most of her work. The Stereo mixes of the tracks Marvin was dubbed on are far superior to the mono, as you don't have Tammi being drowned out by background vocals. I wasn't too crazy with some of the early stuff though, the sound quality sucked. And the packaging is just beautiful. Tammi definetely would have made a great model as photogenic as she was. The Liner notes were also very well done. Positive soul was right about "Beware of A Stranger". That was really a nice surprise.

I've been a fan of Tammi Terrell since I was 8. At 22, I appreciate her work more now than ever. With a voice that makes your toes curl and your butthole tight, She definitely had the goods to be a huge star.
    Thanks for a great review - of a huge talent. Tammi will always be loved and missed. May she RIP - a sweet lady of song.

Just got my copy thanks to the sale on amazon. What a great collection! My favorite, at the moment, is this song - "Slow Down." I can't believe this was unreleased until 2001!