[REMOVE ADS]

Exclamation Diana Ross - The Nitty Gritty [[Live at the Grove/1970) [UNRELEASED]

I hope you enjoy it!

Interesting take on it.

Sure did - I attended one of the performances at the Waldorf Astoria's Empire Room. It was an unforgettable experience. NG led into 'Reflections' - which ended with a mirror-ball and spotlight on Diana's mirrored gown. A moment, to be sure.

Sorry. Diana Ross is no Gladys Knight. Yuk

Quote Originally Posted by luke View Post
    ...or Shirley Ellis, the originator of the song.

Of course, there was an earlier studio version by DRATS which appeared on the 2002 Anthology cd. One of the few produced by Norman Whitfield with the group.

I also don't care for this song by Diana Ross. Love Gladys Knight but I don't think she would sound good on Baby Love either because she ain't no Diana Ross!!

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Of course, there was an earlier studio version by DRATS which appeared on the 2002 Anthology cd. One of the few produced by Norman Whitfield with the group.
    Oh damn, how did I miss that... thanks masterblaster... let me find it right now...

I love it but I'm so used to hearing the Gladys Knight & The Pips version!!!

Here is the original by Shirley Ellis that I like a lot too:

Now of course some of us more learned posters know that Gladys' version of the song was actually itself a cover of Shirley Ellis' original hit. But that does not fit into the narrative that so frequently follows Diana Ross posts here, does it?

It does fit because you are going to compare the original to the remakes

Love all versions of this song but of course Ms. Ellis wins my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by vgalindo View Post
    I also don't care for this song by Diana Ross. Love Gladys Knight but I don't think she would sound good on Baby Love either because she ain't no Diana Ross!!
    Totally agree. I don't care much for this but equally i don't think i would especially enjoy Shirley or Gladys doing Stop in the name of love. Interesting take on the song but not really for me.

This song is not a good fit for Diana Ross. It was an odd choice for her to perform live. I wonder if she was considering recording a solo version and was testing it for audience reaction?

Whatever the reason, it was right decision to leave this in the can.

I have to say I do quite like both Motown versions of "Nitty Gritty". But I slightly prefer the Supremes' version more mainly due to that being the first version I heard, and latching onto it right away. It took a few years after to hear Gladys' version. I particularly love it when two different artists use nearly the same backing track, so even though the vocalists differ, it still feels comfortingly familiar.

I've also never heard Shirley's original of the song, so thanks for sharing that Youtube link, Marv.

I think Diana's version in concert is perfectly fine. It's a nice bit of uptempo for a spot that needs to pick up the crowd.

I also had never heard Shirley Ellis' original version - my first being Gladys Knight & The Pips. Hers seems a bit more pop sounding that GK&TP's. It is interesting that song seems like an intro with a bunch of repeating choruses. After the first verse it is just a lot of repeating "Nitty Gritty's". Not the most interesting song to begin with, though fun to dance to.

I never cared for the original. To me, Gladys OWNS this song. I'm ok with the DR&TS version but I do think that LIVE, Miss Ross' natural showmanship would have sold this easily. It's silly to compare an R&B record with a Vegas Show Arrangement, as the latter is not intended for aural judgement alone, but, it's kind of hard not to when one is among Gladys' top 5 records in my house.

Here the song is used in a sixties television dance number:

Marv, I've always enjoyed that 60's tv dance clip with Shirley Ellis singing "The Nitty Gritty." That over the top [[I say that with no disrespect at all) male dancer is so enjoyable to watch. From research, I understand that he was [[is) a professional dancer. If only I had that energy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobucats View Post
    Marv, I've always enjoyed that 60's tv dance clip with Shirley Ellis singing "The Nitty Gritty." That over the top [[I say that with no disrespect at all) male dancer is so enjoyable to watch. From research, I understand that he was [[is) a professional dancer. If only I had that energy!!!
    Jobucats, the great thing is he is still alive! LOL! There is an interview with him on Youtube I saw.

I don't wanna hear Englebert Humperdinck singing James Brown's I Got you...no disrespect to Diana

I don't wanna hear Englebert Humperdinck singing James Brown's I Got you...no disrespect to Diana
    What are you trying to say? Englebert doesn't have any Soul? LOL!!!